Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
On one level, yep it's going to be a societal disaster. I think the implications are worse than folk even imagine. Right now, I can spot a bot. I don't believe I or anyone else will be able to within a year. Scams are going to be wild, journalism is hosed and online forums are going to be ruined. The companionship an AI is eventually going to be capable of offering people is going to take society in weird directions. I'm a huge loving nerd and excited than an AI can run a table top wargame against me but at the same time it would be pretty sad if I turned to that instead of playing games with other people.

But I have seen one cool thing. Bing's chatbot doesn't have some of the hard limits on it that other systems do, and it doesn't balk at doing medical stuff. It's good. It's really good. I've been running patients at it to see if it can make accurate diagnoses and it's great at recognizing rare patterns that humans tend to miss. I had a patient last week who was seen by 3 providers who missed multiple myeloma, and when fed in the lab abnormalities and chief complaint, the program caught it right away. Even with confounding factors or missing elements from the history or labs, Bing was able to catch what one family MD, one family NP and one ED attending all missed. The first doc saw weird labs and thought they were an error because he didn't take a good history that would have raised all the red flags in the world, the NP saw weird labs on repeat and didn't see the pattern, panicked and sent the patient to the ED, and the ED physician saw weird labs, ignored everything but the low red blood cell count and incorrectly diagnosed a gastrointestinal bleed because she was busy and that's something she sees probably twice a night. The AI has none of those limitations. Depending on what elements I give it, it isn't always able to say "Oh poo poo that's multiple myeloma" but it's always able to say "Hm that could be a lot of things but it would be important to rule out multiple myeloma." That's cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU