Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Darko posted:

The issue with A.I. and general creative output is that artists/writers/musicians/etc. are going to go broke specifically because people by and large want products, not art. A lot of people don't see actual craft and skill in any art, they just want some nebulous "good" and want as much and as cheap as they can get it. As an artist, I can currently easily see where an A.I. is cobbling stuff together as opposed to even a mediocre digital artist is actually producing things, and am completely uninterested in having anything produced by an A.I. because it's missing human touch and the thought and mistakes and improvisation that comes from it. But as you saw from social media 6 months ago or whatever, people are just happy to finally have a portrait of themselves that they don't have to pay someone 1k plus for, because it's not about the craft. People by and large just view any art as a product and want to consume it and A.I. will feed them.

Right, but saying that's taking something away from artists is roughly the same as the RIAA saying every download is a lost sale.

I don't think the people amused by AI art were ever going to pay $1000 or more for a portrait.

And, honestly, I don't think people want "products" more than "art." I think people don't understand what art is, and get confused about why they like it, and try to feed their desire with products -- mostly unsuccessfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the degree to which an AI being capable of passing the bare minimum requirements of a given vocation is being lauded is quite stunning. Like, loving Rudy Giuliani passed the bar! It's not really that impressive, and it doesn't mean poo poo. The basic licensure requirements of any profession are usually not that difficult, and do not represent expert practice in that profession. What's happening here is people are looking at this thing and saying "it knows poo poo I don't, it must be an expert!!!" when that's really not the case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Imaginary Friend posted:

It will get interesting when the AI is powerful enough to create work of art that follow the same style of a song instead of ripping the chords and beats straight out simply by having all of the general knowledge of musicianship.

Imagine when a new hit is made and you just feed it into an algorithm that creates a derivate work from that, tweaking it just enough as to not be called a rip off.

I'm sorry, do you think that's not already essentially what's happening?

If so, I've got some very bad news about the past several centuries of Western music.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SubG posted:

No. The obligations on agricultural workers were similar-ish (although not identical; corvée, for example, in the Ancien Régime was generally even more exploitative than the equivalent in the mediaeval period in general and substantially more exploitative than in the Late Middle Ages). But these obligations are lack the reciprocal nature of the mediaeval equivalents and in much of France they're purely monetary in character (like modern rents), which is absolutely not the case in the mediaeval feudalism.

Yeah, I think one aspect of feudalism that gets dismissed or ignored a lot is that it's based on mutual obligation in a semi-theocratic framework. If you upset God by failing to execute the obligations of your divinely-ordained station, it's open season on you! This is ultimately not a great system for a lot of reasons, but it does carry with it certain charms that the purely monetary obligations of capitalist society lacks.

Mediaeval society is actually a lot more nuanced than most people give it credit for, and it's a period of history that is broadly misunderstood, not least because we mostly don't pay any attention to it.