Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I met a pretty cool clown in the storm drains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Did you have fun? Was there teenage sex and spiders involved?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dixville posted:

Any tunnel can be a rape tunnel if you believe

I always thought it was gross when kids went into the sewers on tv

I was trying to look up examples but when i searched the only thing that came up was this story

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/03/23/kids-sewer-rescue-staten-island-911-call-audio-nr-cprog-vpx.cnn
Ugh they got stuck in a NEW YORK CITY sewer that has to be horribly disgusting

I bet the rats brought them food (pizza).

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

itry posted:

I bet the rats brought them food (pizza).

Tarzan only with sewer creatures, that's a good idea for a reboot, Disney, i know you're reading this! Make it happen

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
If I want to see sewers I'd just play a horror game

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
If I wanted to explore the blimey depths I would call

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Used to explore them all the time as a kid. Although a good majority of them were mainly under roads connecting washes. I found $20 in one once.

Stopped exploring them when my cousin and I were bored waiting for the bus after seeing Ace Ventura: Pet Detective at the theater and found an actual storm drain that was large enough to walk through. We walked through a dark tunnel until we reached a large room illuminated by the light coming from the street drains. It was covered in Satanic graffiti and had a pentagram on the floor with a huge blood stain in the center of it. We noped out of there as fast as we could.

And that concluded my storm drain exploring days permanently.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Was it a good pentagram?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Having been spray painted in a dim room lit only by storm drains from above, I would have to say yes.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

We used to climb on top of the high school and hang out on the roofs. It was pretty easy, you just used the picnic table to get on top of the dumpster, and then the dumpster to the roof. It was pretty quiet up there, which I liked as a kid who got overwhelmed real easy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

DID YOU FLOAT?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

not storm drains but there was a lot of old military stuff around where I grew up that I spent a lot of time in as a teen

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I crawled down a storm drain once during the winter. Not sure how far I got maybe a hundred yards? It was small though and I had to crawl backwards to get out. A few of my friends were with me too. We got covered with dirt and grit.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

DID YOU FLOAT?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
A kid one year older than me used to in primary school, Simon Wilson. He was in grade 4, same year as my sister.

Never found him.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/05/do-you-know-what-happened-to-simon-brown-in-1975.html

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there was like a bunch of random poo poo dumped in a grass patch behind a place my dad worked that I would gently caress around in sometimes. just big pieces of rusted metal, old discarded windows, poo poo like that. thankfully never injured myself.

I think as a kid I tried to cut through a neighbor's hedge with a butter knife or some poo poo like that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

A kid one year older than me used to in primary school, Simon Wilson. He was in grade 4, same year as my sister.

Never found him.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/05/do-you-know-what-happened-to-simon-brown-in-1975.html

this article is a bit confusing but it doesn't seem like anyone actually saw this kid go into a storm drain, he just disappeared in an area where some of the local kids say they sometimes play in them. it also mentions the possibility of being kidnapped by a relative and an "avalache" :confused:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Yeah man there were huge storm drains all around and me and all my friends went in them trying to find the teenage mutant turtles lair because somewhere down there was surely a place big enough to build a lab and stuff.... but since we all had brains none of us died. Most of us died from later stuff except me though :hellyeah:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
A neat one in the college years were decommissioned silos for nuclear missiles. ICBM stuff. The nukes were long gone, but the silos remained. I went as far as the fields they were in, but never went in one. There used to be a nuke down there, are you making GBS threads me? No way in heck was I going down one.

But kids did, and they reported fun times. The poo poo hit the fan though when some dude slipped and fell like 40-50' on the climb down. Amazingly he only had a broken leg and a bump on his head.

The college being a bunch of idiots issued warning that "Students should not be exploring nuclear missile silos" around campus. Which of course any genius could predict caused a whole lot of students to ask, "What?! there are missile silos nearby?! Let's go!"

The sites totally had to put in extra fencing and security after that.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
hell yea and not just as a kid

as a kid, there was a culvert under my road about a mile away and a friend and I would go spleunk through it. Low danger, big pipe, not long.

In college, in Buffalo NY, I discovered that the Forest Lawn Cemetary contains (or contained) a wide loving open concrete maw that leads to some kind of matrix of subterreanean drainage. One day we walked in as far as we could and it became clear it was turning into a swim.

I thought I had pictures of this, but instead, here's a picture from 5/2006 of me reading these forums on a 19" viewsonic CRT.

I bought that monitor in 1999 and I had no idea it lasted that long, that's impressive

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Earwicker posted:

this article is a bit confusing but it doesn't seem like anyone actually saw this kid go into a storm drain, he just disappeared in an area where some of the local kids say they sometimes play in them. it also mentions the possibility of being kidnapped by a relative and an "avalache" :confused:
in 70's children and dogs just wandered freely out into the aether, and if they didn't come back they didn't come back

every single baby boomer knew a kid who at some point just disappeared
but they don't think of it as a murder. if it happened today, people would absolutely be like "oh, that sucks. they were probably murdered. probably kidnapped and murdered, if not by a family member then by one of those kidnapping murdering pedophiles," but back then, they just "disappeared"
and it's not like kidnapping murdering pedophiles were invented in the 80's. we just didn't think that it was relevant to missing children I guess. cops would just go, "oh, another runaway. he probably just got on a bus one day and left town. to join the circus. crime solved" and families were like "hm ok. we'll have four kids. that way if we lose a few we'll still have some, like in the old country"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When I was around 7 in the early 80s, we all went into the storm grate at the local park with some flashlights, and we came to a 4-way intersection, but it went way up and had platforms about 5' up. We decided that was going to be our fort. We did crayon drawings and stuff all over, and played with some gi joes there. We didn't go back much because we knew if it rained we would die. But it was cool.

In the 90s the college campus had steam tunnels that connected all the buildings. The BBS chatline friends I hung out with at the time (Dialup BBS w/ 19 lines) went down there one night and we found a phone junction box. We tried hooking a phone up to it a few nights later and we got a dial tone. I was going to drag my Amiga 500 down there with an extension cord and call European BBSes to download pirated games for free. I never did. The tunnels did also lead to all the buildings in a few miles' radius. Often there were doors into all the campus buildings basements from the tunnels, and they were locked.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cabbages and Kings posted:

as a kid, there was a culvert under my road about a mile away and a friend and I would go spleunk through it. Low danger, big pipe, not long.

In college, in Buffalo NY, I discovered that the Forest Lawn Cemetary contains (or contained) a wide loving open concrete maw that leads to some kind of matrix of subterreanean drainage. One day we walked in as far as we could and it became clear it was turning into a swim.

I thought I had pictures of this, but instead, here's a picture from 5/2006 of me reading these forums on a 19" viewsonic CRT.

I bought that monitor in 1999 and I had no idea it lasted that long, that's impressive

I sit like that too

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When I was really young my family moved to a house in a new estate which was still only half built and they were still installing the storm drains in most of it and since me and my brother were big TMNT fans we used to spend hours crawling through them. They were pretty small too, less than two feet wide so we had to crawl on our bellies. This is in semi-rural Australia so I guess we were lucky we never got bitten by a snake.

When I was in my 20s I used to do a lot of "Urban Exploration" and explore abandoned buildings and storm drains. One time I explored an absolutely huge drain that was at least 3m high at the opening by the river but by the time I was several kilometres along it was only 1m high so I had to shamble along hunched over, and then I had to shamble all the way back when I got bored. I had some pretty gnarly scratches on my back from scraping against the roof of the drain every few steps, that sucked.

There was a fairly well known group of drain explorers here in Melbourne called the Cave Clan who had a lot of articles written about them but I was never cool enough to hang out with them. :sweatdrop:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4w8dj9/inside-the-archives-of-melbournes-infamous-cave-clan

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
No, but I do fully expect to be beaten to death by a pack of feral adolescents who discover me living in one during my twilight years.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

mysterious frankie posted:

No, but I do fully expect to be beaten to death by a pack of feral adolescents who discover me living in one during my twilight years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZi9wI1C0M

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The metro pulse was so awesome, rip

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Oh hell yeah. I grew up in a small midwestern town, so really all we had for amusement was storm drains, construction sites, and building forts in the woods.

Never had any interesting experiences in a storm drain, but once at a construction site one of my friends dropped a cinderblock on his foot and broke like all of the bones. He had a pretty noticeable limp from then until I moved away a few years later. It was kind of sad because he just stood there on the sidelines and recess while we played football or kickball or w/e. As far as I know he had the limp his whole life. He died of a drug overdose a few years back, because The Midwest.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ideally I’ll be drunker when it happens, but this gets the gist.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I didn't because I was a li'l pussy. I probably still wouldn't because I'm a big pussy.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I did the steam tunnel thing in university with a friend. I remember the air being hot enough our eyes would hurt if we walked too fast.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

isaboo posted:

At 16 I stole an airplane to go joy-flying to impress a girl. It didn't work.

That’s stupid, dangerous and irresponsible but also extremely cool and very badass.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was too engrossed by pushing a hoop with a stick, op.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

These pics are cool as heck. We never found anything so extravagant.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Can confirm: No Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the storm drains and sewers of VA nor MA. I have to assume they stayed in NYC for my entire childhood.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Storm drains are especially fun in the early 90s during the height of the satanic panic cuz you just KNEW that the next tunnel could easily contain devil worshippers just jonesing hard for a kid to come around and be a sacrifice.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Bargearse posted:

That’s stupid, dangerous and irresponsible but also extremely cool and very badass.

Agreed on the first part. The girl I thought would be impressed, was not.

Long story short-

At 16 I worked at a small local airport washing and waxing airplanes for a very rich dude who had like 7 airplanes. Instead of pay, he gave me lessons in a Cessna 172. I got far enough that I had a couple of solo flights, so I kinda knew what I was doing.

Anyway, I took said girl there late one night with another friend just to show them around the hangar and I thought- gently caress, I'll just take one up for a quick touch and go and she'll be mine. I didn't want to take my boss' 172 though, because he was stickler for every minute his planes spent in the air and he would have noticed. So, I went to the hangar next to his (he had keys) and took a Grumman Cheetah low-wing.

Nothing crazy happened; I just took it up and circled around a couple of times then landed. The airport was small enough that was no tower and no other planes were up at the time.

The girl told everyone at school what I did but no one believed her, thankfully. The owner of the Cheetah didnt find out until years later.

The girl ended up dating and marrying the friend that was with us that night, lol.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 27, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Absolutely , there was a storm drain / creek near our church and we'd play down there all the time. Then we'd as little kids crawl into the sewer tunnels and come up under the street where the storm drains were. We were small enough to do this. I did one time have a bad experience where I cut my hand on broken glass while playing in the storm drain and had to get stitches.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

There was a storm sewer entrance not even a block away from our middle/high school, how could we NOT gently caress around in there?

Super-easy to get into as well, it was like a six or seven-foot tunnel that had a sloped metal grate that you could almost slip through the bars as it was, but was hinged at the top and you could just lift up and go in through the side.

Weirdest thing was, only my most degenerate friends and I explored it. Everyone else we told wasn't that impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

isaboo posted:

Agreed on the first part. The girl I thought would be impressed, was not.

Not gonna lie, I was an aviation nerd at 16 and I would have been seriously tempted if I knew I’d get away with it.

Still at an aviation nerd but now I’ve got the time and money to do it legit.