Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just saw it. Fantastic, but only the last hour. The first one hour and 45 were way too slow. Several good scenes but a lot of unnecessary stuff. However the finale more than made up for it and included some of the best action I have ever seen in a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

This film was fuckin sick

I thought there was going to be a 5th film but I guess not now lmao

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The action just went on and I loved every minute of it.

That scene in the French building looked like IRL Hotline Miami

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Also Donnie Yen’s character god fuckin drat I loved how bizarre and OTT it was

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Looke posted:

As for that they said that they intentionally left it vague. If they have an idea, and they think it could work, and he wants to come back? They'll do it. If not, well, it's really the end.

Movie was rad, they were probably my favorite cast they've had, Shamier Anderson and Donnie Yen were great foils. And Skarsgard was just an utter piece of poo poo, just big dipshit energy throughout.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Mulva posted:

As for that they said that they intentionally left it vague. If they have an idea, and they think it could work, and he wants to come back? They'll do it. If not, well, it's really the end.

That makes sense. I was waiting for a Dark Knight Rises moment at the end or something.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The hotline Miami scene was great but what about the Arc De Triomphe? I’ve never seen a film use cars in that way for such a prolonged time. I loved it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Easily one of the greatest action films i’ve ever witnessed. Definitely one of the biggest bodycounts from one person in movie history.

Might go see it again this weekend.

The Dragon’s Breath incendiary rounds scene(s). Holy shiiiiiit.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Action was absolutely incredible. That dance club! That top-down incendiary scene! Those fuckin’ steps!

climactic duel is a cool idea that’s badly marred by taking place at a very unconvincing StageCraft recreation of a certain Paris landmark, but I guess no film is perfect

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Donnie Yen steals every scene he's in, Rina Sawayama nailed it given this is her first feature movie role, and the incendiary rounds Hotline Miami scene was loving incredible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Looke posted:

The highest table is god’s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"Man this German boss can really fight for a fat guy"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I guess I'll be the contrarian and say I thought this movie was mediocre at best. Some of the fight scenes were good and interesting, particularly the Hotline Miami scene and the one in Osaka where Wick is soloing wave after wave of dudes. But they almost universally went on for far too long. The plot scenes were universally tedious and dull. Skarsgard was wasted trying to do a bad French accent. Caine and Nobody both would have been fine as the main rival, but having both of them just shoves more stuffing into an already overstuffed movie. And the entire Arc de Triomphe sequence was horrifyingly bad. I have no idea what they were thinking having a sequence that was that VFX heavy in a John Wick movie and then being okay with the VFX being that awful.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
gently caress I loved this movie so much. The crane shot/hotline Miami scene was bonkers and I agree about the Arc scene as well. So drat creative and everyone was in top form. Genesis playing during the stair scene was based af. I just got out a few min ago so I am still on the high but this might dethrone 3 as my fav

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this was one of the sickest movies I've ever seen. also no movie I've been to in years and years has gotten as big a laugh as Wick falling down the stairs

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I really liked this movie. It’s got a couple rough edges but they’re easily sanded off by everything else.

Loved the overhead scene, loved seeing a couple Ip Man punches, the stairs were really cool, then really funny, then really cool.

rip to Lance Reddick

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

1stGear posted:

in Osaka where Wick is soloing wave after wave of dudes. But they almost universally went on for far too long.

VFX being that awful.

I loved that the fighting just went on and on. But I can see how some might find that coasting on tedious.

The fuckin stairs when he reaches the top and then gets kicked back down by the henchman also goes on forever and got a good laugh out of me

The VFX was trash but I was able to be distracted by the violence

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

1stGear posted:

I guess I'll be the contrarian and say I thought this movie was mediocre at best. Some of the fight scenes were good and interesting, particularly the Hotline Miami scene and the one in Osaka where Wick is soloing wave after wave of dudes. But they almost universally went on for far too long. The plot scenes were universally tedious and dull. Skarsgard was wasted trying to do a bad French accent. Caine and Nobody both would have been fine as the main rival, but having both of them just shoves more stuffing into an already overstuffed movie. And the entire Arc de Triomphe sequence was horrifyingly bad. I have no idea what they were thinking having a sequence that was that VFX heavy in a John Wick movie and then being okay with the VFX being that awful.

no, you're right. i don't understand the praise the film is getting. it's like a 6/10 at best. the action was just over long. the plot was laughable and so was the french guy. i'm not even sure what nobody's point was unless the guy won some sort of contest to be in the film? caine rocked and akira was alright. keanu, meanwhile, felt like the script gave him nothing and he was delivering every line with the exact same cadence. has wick always been able to withstand blows that are so obviously lethal or crippling? i felt like i was watching john wick fanfiction. i don't know, i got to see it early, i loved the first two, and i was really disappointed. the resolution felt like something out of air bud. it could've been a pretty great ninety minutes but it was way too long as it is and it was like i was just seeing everything i'd seen before with none of the flair. oh look, john wick is doing that move again where he wraps around their legs and they fall down and then he headshots them lol epicccc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

blue squares posted:

The hotline Miami scene was great but what about the Arc De Triomphe? I’ve never seen a film use cars in that way for such a prolonged time. I loved it

Hotline Miami is 100% what I thought of. So loving sick.

Where is that badass club fight song I need it.

Also Fat Adkins rules as did Donnie Yen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The fat German guy maybe one of my favorite John Wick boss battles. A welcome change after all the super agile enemies we're used to seeing.

This is also the best nun-chaku fight I have seen in a movie for a long time.

I love the dog and her human too. After JW3, I was hoping for more dog action and this delivers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I love that the German even mixed in some straightup pro wrestling moves. Got John with the Rainmaker.

And yeah, the stairs just going on and on got a big laugh out of my showing too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we got laughs at of some weird moments. I'm struggling to remember, but stuff that wasn't even funny.

oh yeah the long rear end shot in the louvre

like drat that was some Russian Ark poo poo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can't believe they referenced Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I immediately went home and booted up Hotline Miami after watching this. That whole scene was just :kiss:

I agree that the CGI of the Arc de Triomphe scene wasn't great but I still had a grin in my face, it was just a bonkers idea to pull off. And I feel ashamed for not recognizing Scott Adkins until afterwards.

Alan Smithee posted:

we got laughs at of some weird moments. I'm struggling to remember, but stuff that wasn't even funny.

I am Klaus!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Arc is further proof of my theory that the world of John Wick is a libertarian hellscape and people just sorta keep their noses out of the gig economy hitman business

wonder if the High Table is nice enough to at least send adjusters to help pay for people's damages to their cars

Cacator posted:

I am Klaus!

that was funny though

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Horizon Burning posted:

? i felt like i was watching john wick fanfiction.

Thats this franchise since like 15 minutes into JW2

It’s not too dissimilar to a bunch of fast and furious drag racers ending up in space saving the world 20 years later. The writers are far more in love with the worldbuilding and setpieces saving action figure together than story which makes for a fun movie but it’s also why none of them are anywhere near as good as 1

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it's been so long since watching 3 that when I started watching this I was utterly confused why the assassins could take a whole mag of rounds to the chest and then remembered their kevlar suits lmfao

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Killa stole the show for me that and nunchucks

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Donnie Yen's big f-bomb got the biggest reaction from my theatre :allears:

Probably the best plotted John Wick, but entirely content to just play the hits when it comes to the action (contrast with Wick 3 which went out of its way to try for new things for nearly every set-piece)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 24, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Looke posted:

it's been so long since watching 3 that when I started watching this I was utterly confused why the assassins could take a whole mag of rounds to the chest and then remembered their kevlar suits lmfao

they established in 3 that getting shot in that still hurts but here it's like they have titanium bracers

what really confused me was Morpheus gifting him the new suit and mentioning the kevlar as if john wasn't already wearing one

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Man those last 40 minutes were absolute crackerjack stuff. The movie was gaining steam by the end of the Osaka battle thru the Scott Adkins sequence but that climax in Paris was beyond unreal.

It's not as well put together as 1 or 2 but the quality of the supporting cast is at least on par with 1 and vastly exceeds 2 and 3.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

Donnie Yen's big f-bomb got the biggest reaction from my theatre :allears:

The completely flat delivery was so pitch-perfect. Donnie is so good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

entirely content to just play the hits when it comes to the action (contrast with Wick 3 which went out of its way to try for new things for nearly every set-piece)

Totally unfair imo. Nunchucks, Car Karate, Bows and Arrows, blind guy using sound, a duel, fighting a big giant dude who can throw Wick, the overhead shot... lots of new stuff

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The best were the two sumo guys with bulletproof kimonos who started slapping the poo poo out of dudes in the kitchen, needed them to make more appearances

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Little Matrix Revolutions nod in the empty subway, or am I reading into that too much. Honestly can’t stop thinking about this movie. Also, seen so much praise for Yen, Adkins and Rina (all deserved of course) but Shamier Anderson as “Nobody” aka the Tracker was just cool as hell. Would love to see him come up again in a sequel or spin-off or something

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

they established in 3 that getting shot in that still hurts but here it's like they have titanium bracers

what really confused me was Morpheus gifting him the new suit and mentioning the kevlar as if john wasn't already wearing one

One of my favorite details is the sound of bullets falling to the ground when John takes off his suit before the duel.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I might have developed some kind of face blindness at my advanced age , but each new action scene I was sure they killed the marqueze 's spanish bodyguard - only for him to pop out again in the next action scene , again and again .

Movie was Awesome, a bit slow to start but once it got rolling it was almost breathless in how and awesome and fun it was .
Yen, Adkins , everyone really - they were all so good . For a movie as long as this is, It really flew for me .

admataY fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 25, 2023

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I try not to be this guy but only a complete nincompoop could see this movie and say it's a 6/10. What's next? Tar was bad actually? What then? Cops are cool? AFter that? Bugs?? Urine????

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

Easily one of the greatest action films i’ve ever witnessed. Definitely one of the biggest bodycounts from one person in movie history.

Might go see it again this weekend.

The Dragon’s Breath incendiary rounds scene(s). Holy shiiiiiit.

yooooo those rounds

is that poo poo real

thinking of some monster in a bombed out Ukraine village using that poo poo my gosh us humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

admataY posted:

I might have developed some kind of face blindness at my advanced age , but each new action scene I was sure they killed the marqueze 's spanish bodyguard - only for him to pop out again in the next action scene , again and again .

I liked that because the movie seemed to go out of its way to make him unremarkable. In a franchise defined by flash he's noteworthy by dressing like Just Some Rich Guy's Bodyguard. The audience recognizes him every time he does something badass like catch an arrow

EDIT:

Crystal Thenis posted:

yooooo those rounds

is that poo poo real

thinking of some monster in a bombed out Ukraine village using that poo poo my gosh us humans

Short version: They're more useful as flare guns, a lot of conditions have to be met before you can reliably set someone on fire by shooting them with one

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2023