Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
WELCOME TO THE (new) GBS FEEDBACK THREAD!

Well that last thread was a trip for a multitude of reasons, so let's reboot this thread. If you want to discuss what happened in the last thread, please post in that one. I'll be taking a hard line on that for this thread.

:siren: RULES :siren:

GBS shitposting is allowed within reason (because we can't keep you from being you), but we're going to be enforcing the rules hard.

• Regular GBS rules apply.
  • For this thread only the c-word rule is lifted. However, don't use this as an excuse to just spam it because you can because we're not going to allow it.
  • While mentioning other forums is fine, don't use this space to bash them or start interforum drama. If you want a discussion of how we interact with other forums, by all means do it. If you disagree with other posters, do it respectfully and don't insult them (unless it's funny) or tell them their feedback is worthless.
  • There may be regulars from other forums who give feedback. If given in good faith, that feedback will be considered. Just because they're not a "GBS regular" doesn't mean that they may not have some ideas we can incorporate. Conversely, if you're not a regular of this forum and come to poo poo up this thread with non-constructive feedback, that won't be taken lightly.
  • As this thread evolves more rules may be added. They'll be announced in the thread and added here if so.

So, GBS, what do you want to say (again)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

As a reminder, feedback from the previous thread is not invalid and when I get some time I'm going to compile it for discussion.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Seth can I have a free ad for my website

I would love to help friendo but unfortunately I cannot :(

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

verbal enema posted:

heres sssome fuckin feedback gimmie a lil basketball for my plat icon

Idk if astral is looking into this as part of some far future forums upgrade but currently as I understand it it's a complete pain in the rear end to do this

If you see a non-mod with it, chances are a) they're a former mod or b) they got it as part of a donation drive. Those are the only two ways I know of how people got them

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm getting old and my memory kinda sucks, but I think back when Richard owned the site there was a thread where you could request a platinum icon that would be random, but there was a 25% chance you'd get banned instead.

So in a way, it was a charity drive.

Lmao that rules

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

I Drew this Kongs

These are good kongs sid!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ok well that's kind of concerning. Any idea what his alt may be?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Please do not turn this into a Derpies rehash thank you

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Hey cool I’m doing a character drawing thread right now :)

And stuck!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Mod stars are decided and given out at the end of the month. Maybe you'll see yours soon!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Well you did wake up this morning...

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nom epique posted:

Innocent well meaning person to mike tyson: Maybe you should make more money off your commercial deals? seems like somethings amiss.

Don king with moderator star: Yeah, No. Enough with the Epic GBS trolling, 24 hour probe initiated

Oh my god :vince:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is the feedback thread! Go big think in ya own!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Jeff used up his stored energy to Kamehameha spr into the spirit realm so he's gonna need to recharge for a bit

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I can't afford to give everyone free nachos plus I gave up fast food for Lent so if I can't have them no one can!!!

Bad Purchase posted:

suggestion: each week the mods should post a thread containing an elaborate puzzle with clues scattered among the many active and vibrant gbs megathreads and the posters have to work together to solve it

I don't think we have the time to do that weekly, but this is a really good suggestion to do one day. I'm already thinking of ways that this could happen.

Rust Martialis posted:

So before the recent "exit, pursued by a bear" of SPR, Captain Sarcastic had agreed to look at updating the GBS rules to handle misogynistic abuse on par with other forms of abuse like ableism, racism, etc.

Hopefully that won't be lost in the recent drama.

Another rather weird thing is the return of calling posts/posters/things to be "aids" or "totally aids". Having grown up in the 1980s and knowing a number of people who became HIV+ with some dying of it, it seems *really* weird to see it tossed around casually 40 years later as an insult. It was homophobic back then, and it sure doesn't seem to be any less today.

My gut feeling is that "aids" is being used where those posters would previously say "retarded", but with SA taking steps to stop ableist insults, they can't any more. Like how Freep started saying "Amish" for their usual terms for PoC.

We're definitely looking at updating the rules.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think it's in the cards for more wordfilter moderation. I think it's just another way of saying something sucks, plus AIDS is no longer a death sentence like it was in the 80s and we've finally broken the stigma that only gay people get it.

MrQwerty posted:

Probate Vincent Van Goatse every time he makes a report or "gas thread ban op" in GBS and ramp it

u dont gotta stop being a hatin rear end karen but u gotta stop doing it here

lol I don't have any comment on this ;)

ninjoatse.cx posted:

A bit odd for him to drop that bomb and leave deciding to perma up to the admins

It's not. Jeff really is delegating decisions to the admins, and it's really never been the case where he launches a perma except in extreme cases since I've been here. The spr thing was a case where only he could look it up; from my understanding that's a store level access ability that no one else has.

MrQwerty posted:

lol and they were waffling on it, fluff really didn't wanna push the button

CHINATOWN IS A FUCKFACE THOUGH

Without getting into details, this is factually incorrect.

At least the first part; second one I have no comment on :)

Slugworth posted:

Make the remaining 3 PI threads stickied posts in GBS, and make me IK.

Done. Enjoy!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is not SAD and those probes are not in GBS so if you have issue with them go to that forum :thanks:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Smugworth posted:

Last I checked Derpies was still permabanned so maybe move on and go outside or something

:agreed:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Thanks for the feedback!

Part of this is based on the SAD recommendation of larger forums having feedback threads, and it's one I agree with. I think if there's an open channel, we can deal with issues quicker than someone wondering if there's a mod around and PMing them with no response. Y'all can keep us honest here :)

I mean I'm glad it's going great! Always looking for ways to improve

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Dixville posted:

This is random but should we get rid of gently caress You And Dine or try to use it cause there's some duplicate threads between there and gbs and the last time I accidentally clicked on it there were 2 users browsing

Nah it's fine - not a terribly active subforum but it's still nice to talk to fellow fast foodies :)

If there's dupes I don't necessarily see an issue with it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

If people want MS Paint threads make some! I ain't creative enough to make them and I try to sticky all the threads that have creative potential

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I do!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Just don't be a daft tosser

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

All right all right move it along people :sweep:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

Also who is ErrorInvalidUser?

They're the person who sued Jeff and spawned the "many users state they do not like me or my posting" thing on here

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Some people talk a big game

sid makes it happen

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

any status update on recruiting a grip[ of new iks?

No movement yet because we haven't had time to sit down and discuss it but it'll be moving soon! Got something else cooking in the meantjme

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Make me and nom epique iks of his thread so there is full coverage for title changes

If there was a way to do so without giving them buttons I'd absolutely do it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

maybe seth is getting the sleepiness bug too

I am actually v tired today

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sounds to me like a reason to keep it closed!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Nooner posted:

You don't have to be crazy to post here

BUT BUT HELPS!!!

But but helps

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Nooner posted:

It would be fun if the rules thread was unlocked so anyone could post in it wouldn't that be neat?

This will not happen as long as Donald J. Trump is not president

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

It's fine that it's top level because we're top level in our hearts

The shiny new kid will wear out their welcome and all will return to whence they came

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yes but who are they!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've heard talks of wanting to halt the inter sub forum fighting through moderation and such. I wonder if that tribalism energy could be channeled into competitive inter sub forum rivalry? The subforums could make teams with an IK as the leader. The competitions? The skies the limit baby.

I believe in the past we've had stuff like this. I'll look into it more but I think a friendly competition isn't out of the question, though judging it would be a bit hard.

Wendigee posted:

Cool cool cool

I think we can probably take a couple of these down. There's a few that'll be permanent (feedback, rules, etc) but it's good to cycle them out

I like highlighting Photoshop and paint threads as a way of encouraging others to participate. Sometimes they'll fall off the first page without a chance so I prefer to give them a bit of a chance before I let them die

E: should be a bit cleaner now

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

All right all right :sweep:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

For a non shitpost, actual suggestion: roll the feedback thread and the rules thread into one.

I'll put it up for consideration. There's merit to keeping them separate because it's usually good to have the rules thread be its own thing but let's noodle on that

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why? I'm not objecting, just curious about your reasoning.

In my personal view, I guess it's part "it's always been that way not just in GBS but on SA in general" and part "I don't necessarily want to turn the rules thread into a pseudo-chat thread". I know the first one is dumb reasoning, trust me, but I also like the idea of having one space where people can see the rules and not feel like they have to go through tons of pages to see why everyone's talking about something

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yep. people are excited to read the rules therad in the current format. hell, they're champing at the bit for it

New rule: hot cocoa on the couch must submit his posts in triplicate on the proper forms for inspection before posting

Charles Bukowski posted:

Have there been more new permabans in the last year than prior years? Not the same old reregs

MrQwerty posted:

I bet he's at least 70% of the permabans in '23 alone

Yeah as a reminder he's the guy that "sued" SA and put in official court documents that "many users have stated they do not like me or my posting"

But he's keeping the forums viable now that Alec Eiffel has been taken out behind the shed so thanks EIU! :cheers:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

nom epique delenda est.

Gonna lock you two in a thread thunderdome style

Two posters enter one poster leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

will the report button still be active on that thread

Lmao