Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Larry Cum Free posted:

Some of those are really good but I want my rhymes to be authentic to who I am and I’m not from the streets. I think part of the problem on Thursday is I wanted to get there early so I went straight from work and I was still in my work clothes. I’m not trying to make excuses but it didn’t help.

you got kicked out because you signed up to be on stage the first time you ever even tried something, which was a bad call, and ruined the show while also looking like a dork

edit: you could have gotten away with looking like a dork if you had any flows, but again, you decided to go onstage completely unprepared and unpracticed, so you not only looked like a dork but acted like one too

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

honestly you hosed up but kudo on you for even trying. i would have pissed myself. could have probably flipped that into a sick bar though. yeah my jorts soaked with piss so what, think im gonna roll out now probably grab a donut. mic drop.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

MrQwerty posted:

you got kicked out because you signed up to be on stage the first time you ever even tried something, which was a bad call, and ruined the show while also looking like a dork

edit: you could have gotten away with looking like a dork if you had any flows, but again, you decided to go onstage completely unprepared and unpracticed, so you not only looked like a dork but acted like one too

So explain to me how I was supposed to try it for the first time without getting on stage. Do you think there are private Rap Battle tutors? Because I’ve checked and there aren’t.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Larry Cum Free posted:

A lot of people keep referencing 8 Mile. Like it was a good movie, and Marshall Mathers is easily one of the greatest rappers of all time…but you know that’s not how Rap Battles actually go in real life right?

You probably should have spent more time sharpening your skills rapping against your fellow workers during smoke breaks at the dick sucking factory like Marshall Mathers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Larry Cum Free posted:

So explain to me how I was supposed to try it for the first time without getting on stage. Do you think there are private Rap Battle tutors? Because I’ve checked and there aren’t.

by making friends with people you met at shows and practicing with them when you expressed interest in battling

lmao you think the first time i played drums on stage i just went up and did it without practicing or what

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

wicki wicki wild wild west, jim west, desperado
rough rider, na you don't want nada,
none of this, six gunnin' this, brotha runnin' this,
buffalo soldier, look it's like i told ya

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

by making friends with people you met at shows and practicing with them when you expressed interest in battling

lmao you think the first time i played drums on stage i just went up and did it without practicing or what

Well excuse me for trying something hard instead of giving up and becoming a drummer

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Larry Cum Free posted:

Well excuse me for trying something hard instead of giving up and becoming a drummer

Props for trying something, but you found out the consequences of performing for a crowd without ever trying to do it first, specifically the venue telling you to not come back

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

20 Blunts posted:

you should be happy to be uninvited from that capitalistic and garbage art form

lol i love goons

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is it considered bad form to treat slam poetry like a comedy show? The idea of watching it live seems hilarious.

I had an old housemate who was really into performing at poetry clubs and did slam poetry. He would read the rest of us his poems and expect applause or something, but they... Weren't great.

I think I described slam poetry as "the sort of thing you'd hear if mimes could speak" and it really offended him I guess?

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Larry Larry Larry can't you see

Thats as far as i got, rhyming is hard

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think what you need to do is stop saying that black people cant have success op. I think you need to stop doing that and you need to stop positing as an argument that it’s the black community saying that, you need to stop hiding behind black people to say racist things. You need to stop framing situations that include false and negative depictions of the black community, that degrade anyone who is not black participating in black run events, and you need to respect people who do have talent who have made a way for themselves, and acting like success in any forum is an invitation for you to go on a racist tirade about white people enjoying and performing Latin music or Asian people playing jazz or any race combination that includes enjoyment of any predominately ethnic scene. You are not talented. Other people are. Other people are not not talented because you say they aren’t on the basis of race. You are not the talented portion. It has nothing to do with your race. You are not doing the same thing as them.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MrQwerty posted:

if a show is capable of being ruined by one dork doing bad white boy rap, it probably needed to be cancelled in the first place.

OP sounds like a dweeb, bouncer sounds like a toxic methhead.

syntaxfunction posted:

I think I described slam poetry as "the sort of thing you'd hear if mimes could speak" and it really offended him I guess?

my soundcloud is full of what happens if you let frustrated mimes have access to a Moog.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Op tried to colonize rap Friday and failed

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
My piss on the wall my piss on the wall
Pita pocket pissers my piss on the wall

Feel free to use this next time op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if a show is capable of being ruined by one dork doing bad white boy rap, it probably needed to be cancelled in the first place.

OP sounds like a dweeb, bouncer sounds like a toxic methhead.

I saw Perry Farrell clear out 75% of a sold-out show, instantaneously, that just loved the NIN set, because he came out on stage and doubled-down on insisting he was in Santa Fe and not Albuquerque, it'll happen anywhere at any show. Plus he didn't do any white boy rap, he got on stage, dropped half a bar and then freaked out because he didn't know what he was doing and then got roasted by the crowd and the other MC, didn't even get a chance to try and come back.

Also it wasn't a bouncer that told OP not to come back, it was the host/presumably the booker.

OP my barber is the guitarist and singer in a stoner metal band and also a battle rapper, and his opinion is also that you should have made friends with dudes at the shows you go to all the time and practiced before going on stage at a battle rap show, cuz thats how he gets rappers to come to stoner metal shows and have a good time.

You should go back, and if you don't get thrown out, play off your poo poo and make some friends and learn how to rap if you're into it, get your confidence up, then try again.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 25, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MrQwerty posted:

I saw Perry Farrell clear out 75% of a sold-out show, instantaneously, that just loved the NIN set, because he came out on stage and doubled-down on insisting he was in Santa Fe and not Albuquerque, it'll happen anywhere at any show.

Lol, that's hilarious, NIN/JA I assume? I had completely the opposite experience catching that tour at Merriweather in MD; NIN rocked the house and then when JA took the stage, someone (Perry or Dave) said "hey does anyone have any weed?" and I have never seen someone have multiple joints sticking in their face so fast.

This was a funny yin-yang to me, as the year or so prior I saw John Vanderslice open for The Mountain Goats, and Vanderslice made some kind of uncomfortable comments about really wanting painkillers or drugs and the audience stonewalled him. Maybe don't canvas for drugs when you're D-tier opening for a (then) C-tier band inside a fuckin synagogue :allears:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol, that's hilarious, NIN/JA I assume?

lol yeah, I stuck around for a bit but Perry was hosed up and it wasn't a good show, especially after the show Trent had just put on.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Larry Cum Free posted:

Some of those are really good but I want my rhymes to be authentic to who I am and I’m not from the streets. I think part of the problem on Thursday is I wanted to get there early so I went straight from work and I was still in my work clothes. I’m not trying to make excuses but it didn’t help.

Here is a holy scripture u can study

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNuXG3AUezA

quote:

[Verse 1: Big Baby Gandhi]
Sippin on the Palmer, lookin like a bomber
Spit it to your mom-er, thinkin I'm Obam-er
Hotter than a sauna, colder than a pillow
Rolling like a villain, holla if you feel him
Still a wizard killing, me, I want a million
Bitches that's Brazilian, money to the ceiling
Now I'm Young No Money, spent all my show money
Spend it on a ho money, drop it on her ho tummy
Yeah we can't have babies havin babies
Imagine me with a kid at 22 while I try to play me
Be even broker than I am now, sucks like Shamwow
So safe sex is the plan now
And older me make better decisions
Stay home and watch television
My inner vision of better livin'—I've seen it
I better believe it, 56-inch Zenith
Like I got a 56 inch penis—56K!
[Verse 2: Nigel Nasty]
Catch me actin in the club something serious
Arizona labor day, women on their periods
Cool water curve cologne, I'm off my own patron
Anti-social so I'm looking at my phone for bone
Leave alone and I hop on the Ducati
Hotbox the helmet, feel it in my body (High)
Grand central parkway, bought a baby Parkay (Smooth!)
Jackie Rob rob your life with a sharp display
Information high stakes, optimistic primate
Beast mode, beast wars, CGI I'm high, man
Power up like nightsteel, regroup like ReBoot
Regroup my people on chatrooms, be back soon
I just wanna dance like a baby
GIF me out, ma, GIF me out, web's going crazy
22-male from Queens, where your friends be
No photo on my profile, inbox looking empty

[Verse 3: Lansky]
Peace to my Queens team, party like the '86 Mets
Joint's slick, a bitches place is a mess (clean this poo poo up)
Designer drugs finest ones they all spent
Comin off mattins this white like the child of tibet
Listen, baby, I'm a New York Met
I used to play the park bench
Saw them pitchin out a head coach
And iced to ice to gold chains, those were the days
Bring pops that was the thing graduated the lane
See bitches that was reminding me kids they baby fathers
And babies havin babies they're livin any kind of way
New York is douchebags, friendly on the chit chat
They be the type to boss up and never give you poo poo back
Learned this back in fifth grade when nigga stole my Donkey Kong game
Had to retaliate, ten, facing suspension, I'm a good kid
Never took juks, far from a crook man
Ironic how i thought about this all in central booking

[Verse 4: Antwon]
Before Google Chrome, and online scriptures
I had the AOL, I used to jack off to pictures
Had a internet girlfriend, used to send me pictures
One was mall goth, and the other lived in Texas
Had a wicked one that swore she threw hexes
She gonna cut my dick off if another girl I'm sextin'
'Twon in the Lexus, drinking on the side of the poo poo
Side of the whip, bean pies, fries, and some dip
When I die, 56K to my bad kids
But can a nigga live?
I'm eatin scrimps, chutney on the chips
I'm hater on my firewall, that's how real it gets
People think I'm blowing up, no amps to spit
But my friends broke too knowin how it is
Living day to day, hope a nigga make it through
The ethernet bumping when the Comcast kills you, nigga!

[Hook: Chippy Nonstop]
Ring a ting a ting, it's that dialup connection
Bad bitches on twitter that deserve a mention
(It's that dialup connection, it's that dialup connection)

[Verse 5: Lakutis]
Running 'round my hometown, every day, I spread my seed (Ha!)
Hundred blue-eyed devils speakin Spanish be my legacy (Woop)
Me I'm born and raised New York but old-earth Russian (Russian!)
Mixing up that heritage, bitch, more 'tussin (Tussin'!)
Smoke something so loving ill, I
Make a million every loving minute, can I—
Get up in that gushy? You can have my pack of Gushers
Mami I still work whole bottles cocky
These old copper's will never find me
drat I'm the man though (I'm the man!)
Style out the wazoo (That's a butt!)
Bitches say we love you, fly out to watch you
I wish I could watch two, M—Mickey in the watch boo
Gotta rub me the right way, genie in a bottle
[Bridge: Lakutis]
Shoryuken shoryuken sh sh shoryuken shoryuken
Sh sh shoryuken shoryuken
(Lakutis Lakutis Lakutis lakutis)

[Verse 6: DVS]
DVS! (Welcome!)
Call me the product of shoddy politics
Sloppy economy shittin, bitch, and never call me again
I'm a commodity, I'll properly Macaulay my property
Home alone, paint can to the dome
Log off off my prodigy
That's how you say "get off my dick" in technology
It outghta be common knowledge but probably it college garbage
Word is bond that my modern-day Sean Connery puff tropical Marley
I'm unstoppable man (Unstoppable man)
We them Duane Reade babies, in the streets crazy
Eat loosies, drink Everclear, get zooted, and piss everywhere
Illuminati want my screenname and my body
They gon' upload me to jail, Ghost in the Shell
I hope SOPA don't hold the [?] to get close to me
Hold a post like a rosary
Call the pope in to cope with me
Hopefully JoDeCi no
You could bring in all your gospel apostles
Impossible to knock me off line (Goodbye!)

[Verse 7: Kitty Pride]
I'm all blue and orange, I think in portals
I'm Al Gore get on my global warming poo poo
I'll beat you more and more at it
Of course I got my cheats I'll make it gory again
I'll never get bored of it because I respawn
I'm a primadonna en linea, eating all of your dinners
I'm Michael Bolton beating all of your printers
I'm literati and wittier than you thought
You can follow my twitter at kitavel'
If I writ it then it's written well
Simply browsing my flickr begins to get it wet
And get erect, you're dim and I'm glimmering like I'm glitter text
I'm grim as if I'm Billy and Mandy
Stealing your fans, B
I'm willing and handy
I'll make sure you get Mr. Hands Instagram
I hope you get bit by a million ants
And get shipped to distant lands
Rap game tiny Danzig, I'm a little Misfit
Oops I did it again, because I'm Brit, bitch

[Verse 8: Ne$$ of Weekend Money]
Weekend Money!
Cybersex, Twitter beef
Chief Keef, Lil B
Credit card scam slinging grams on my twitter feed
Nigga gotta eat baby starvin round the way
EBT card balance low, baby mama cray
Money slow like 56K, you know dialup
Still 56 ways hustle-nomics by any means
While you was bracin for that Y2K
We mary jane and this white girl
Menage a tray all night till the daylight
Thugs dimes and trays
You know riding around getting it, no 2 Chainz
I ain't talking nothing fancy, Brooklyn bound 2 train
In the city with the skinny nigga end up slain dang
I'm just trying to spit these raps out
Waking up to the sound of a Mac poppin, no laptop
Diary of a trap rapper Ness
Signing off nigga, live from the apple

[Hook: Chippy Nonstop]
(It's that dialup connection, it's that dialup connection)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 25, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The host deciding that your performance and vibe was so dogshit that you're not banned from going up on newbie night, but banned from the club in case someone sees you and remembers. That's a very firm rejection from that small society. Someone put it well earlier with the idea of tunelessly hammering a guitar and hoping it'll get better and people will appreciate your first timer spirit. I'm sorry champ, hug your pet.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

lol yeah, I stuck around for a bit but Perry was hosed up and it wasn't a good show, especially after the show Trent had just put on.

we bailed after like 5-6 JA songs but that was mostly to beat traffic plus them having already played Jane Says.

I guess PF must have been all over the map on that tour, everyone seemed pretty sober and in time in MD. NIN is one motherfuck of a tough act to follow, though. I've seen them, I dunno, six times 1999-2009 and the stage shows just got better and better over time. I remember a show in Cleveland where they had what seemed to be a functional drum machine with touch controls, splayed out across giant projection screens.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You got kicked out of the
Apollo rejects club
Couldn’t put 2 songs together
To make a half dub

:smug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Larry Cum Free posted:

OP I actually spent like 4 years riding the bus an hour each way to work (plus a 30min walk) where the entire time I would listen to beats and write raps and it was fun as hell and I wrote some good stuff and then I found someone who was really into music production and we recorded some songs together that were kinda sick but also that person was a massive piece of poo poo lol but anyway just do it. Rap to urself at home. Spend time writing raps and listening to beats. It takes years of practice but it's a fun hobby IMO

e: Actually it was a lot more than 4 years I guess this was a thing I did for like 8 years with a 2 year break at some point

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Sorry we don’t all ride the bus.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I will sell you exclusive access to the collection of lyrics I wrote over that time which lmao I had no idea it was this big

Also you should because the bus rules :) You get to sit (sometimes) and read or listen to music or work on hobbies to decompress from work while someone else drives you home.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Larry Cum Free posted:

you should be sorry that you want to play and actively interact with live music without making any effort to do so

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

flubber nuts posted:

honestly you hosed up but kudo on you for even trying. i would have pissed myself. could have probably flipped that into a sick bar though. yeah my jorts soaked with piss so what, think im gonna roll out now probably grab a donut. mic drop.

I have some extra undies in my MAN’s laptop carrier bag which IS NOT A PURSE! :catstare:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Larry Cum Free posted:

again, 8 mile will give you some good tips on this stuff. That dude was just always scrawlin' lyrics

if you showed up with, like, stacks of notebooks and poo poo, they'd either take you more seriously, or laugh even harder. Can't hurt to try

I got kicked out o the rap battles
those dicks said "yer brain's cattle"
but i'm the kinda prick ain't never even been rattled
coming to ya rap battles like you are on baby bottles

bottles, rattles, you a toddler
i am out here spinning wonder
the forums told me to go get good
but I'm just bringing my poo poo back to your hood

if you provide video that you performed this on stage I will get you the forums upgrade of your choice.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OP this is a very unironic and sincere take:

Most forms of artistry are born out of struggle, and that's probably a thing that you've heard in your life a lot without really understanding what it means but it means things exactly like this: Someone who has to ride the bus an hour each way to work 260 days a year has 520 hours of time every year where they can't distract themselves with videogames and weed and whatever else you do, and they have to find ways to entertain themselves purely with their minds, which most often comes out as creative expression.

If you had less in your life to distract yourself with, you would spend more time doing things like pursuing creative passions, such as battle rapping.

There are no forms of artistry where you just have this natural talent that you know how to express. Every form of artistry is, at its core, an expression of the amount of your lifetime worth of hours you have dedicated to this specific pursuit. Some people have natural talents but those natural talents can't even begin to express themselves until those people have put in the hours.

So if you want to do things like compose music, or rap, or write, or draw, or animate, or make video games, there's only one step that you need to take towards that goal: spend your time doing it. You have to make that your best available option, either through not having other options (struggle), or through sheer force of will in determining that it's what you prefer to spend your time doing.

It's a very modern problem to have a life mostly devoid of this kind of struggle (e.g. you have a car and drive to work so you don't have this big block of "Okay my brain needs to entertain me" time every day) and also to have enough distractions (that were explicitly designed to capture and hold your attention because your attention span is the modern equivalent of oil in its capitalistic draw) to prevent you from spending your time on these pursuits, but if they're things you want to do, you actually have to do them, not just want to do them. Everyone you see actively performing has been doing it for years and years and years, at home, by themselves, in front of the mirror, with friends, whatever.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

OP this is a very unironic and sincere take:

Most forms of artistry are born out of struggle, and that's probably a thing that you've heard in your life a lot without really understanding what it means but it means things exactly like this: Someone who has to ride the bus an hour each way to work 260 days a year has 520 hours of time every year where they can't distract themselves with videogames and weed and whatever else you do, and they have to find ways to entertain themselves purely with their minds, which most often comes out as creative expression.

If you had less in your life to distract yourself with, you would spend more time doing things like pursuing creative passions, such as battle rapping.

There are no forms of artistry where you just have this natural talent that you know how to express. Every form of artistry is, at its core, an expression of the amount of your lifetime worth of hours you have dedicated to this specific pursuit. Some people have natural talents but those natural talents can't even begin to express themselves until those people have put in the hours.

So if you want to do things like compose music, or rap, or write, or draw, or animate, or make video games, there's only one step that you need to take towards that goal: spend your time doing it. You have to make that your best available option, either through not having other options (struggle), or through sheer force of will in determining that it's what you prefer to spend your time doing.

It's a very modern problem to have a life mostly devoid of this kind of struggle (e.g. you have a car and drive to work so you don't have this big block of "Okay my brain needs to entertain me" time every day) and also to have enough distractions (that were explicitly designed to capture and hold your attention because your attention span is the modern equivalent of oil in its capitalistic draw) to prevent you from spending your time on these pursuits, but if they're things you want to do, you actually have to do them, not just want to do them.

Larry Cum Free posted:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Everyone’s assuming that I don’t write lyrics or work on my rap at all but I do. Rap Battles are just something different. I don’t want it to be rehearsed I just want to be able to look at someone and do an amazing freestyle that makes a crowd go crazy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You're no lil peep

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

That poo poo's all rehearsed with changes based on who you're looking at that you can make up on the fly, dog. Those guys don't flow effortlessly because they just come up with all of it on the spot out of the sheer magic of their brains. It's practice, not magical intuition.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Larry Cum Free posted:

Everyone’s assuming that I don’t write lyrics or work on my rap at all but I do. Rap Battles are just something different. I don’t want it to be rehearsed I just want to be able to look at someone and do an amazing freestyle that makes a crowd go crazy.

8 mile is an uplifting story of someone who has this inspiration and initially "chokes", but eventually comes into their own and "pwns" the crew that clowned on them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Very, very few freestyles are 100% on-the-spot improv. That's like, an incredible talent when someone can do it and it's the kind of thing that launches them to superstardom, if they're good at it.

You should be writing a book of just baseline disses that you can lay down over any beat and thinking up good insults & rhymes to use all the time, then once you can put those down subconsciously over a beat to get a flow going, it frees your mind up to come up with off the dome jabs to weave in throughout your rhymebook of disses.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

8 mile is an uplifting story of someone who has this inspiration and initially "chokes", but eventually comes into their own and "pwns" the crew that clowned on them

Yeah that’s the point I want to get to. And for the record, ImmenCity absolutely makes up everything 100% on the fly

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I saw Erykah Badu last June at Red Rocks and she was sick as gently caress, just freestyle rhyming while she talked about Baduism over two live drummers at the end of the show after going through hella costume changes and playing a ton of poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Let's write a rap song about the OP

Imagine my shock when
I too was a simulacrum of

Spitting haiku since similac
soon as heartbeat started clapping

I'm feasting on my problems
turn em to yeast to grow my culture

Puzzle pieces packed and molden
My speech impeded by these vultures

I'm eager to be among
the pantheon of zenith beholders

Reaching the peak of the Pinnacle
gripping my teeth on the boulders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I watched the tv show where the streetwise poor kid moves to a new school and falls for the girl and does ralp battles. Is he able to triumph over adversity and thwart the rich bully? Every day I try to fill the bucket hat of baby jeon-huan, the character might have been named. And so can you op.