Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A guy I knew did battle raps and they'd know their opponent a week before the event. The whole thing was promoted like a boxing match so who's facing off against who was critical to promoting the events.

Afaik they never just let some random hop on stage and pretend to rap. There are different leagues/circuits though.

Its sounds like you were doing a bit that didn't go well for you, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

OP finding out that musicians take performing music live seriously

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Let's write a rap song about the OP

Imagine my shock when
I too was a simulacrum of

Spitting haiku since similac
soon as heartbeat started clapping

I'm feasting on my problems
turn em to yeast to grow my culture

Puzzle pieces packed and molden
My speech impeded by these vultures

I'm eager to be among
the pantheon of zenith beholders

Reaching the peak of the Pinnacle
gripping my teeth on the boulders

I'm going to not only ask you to leave the thread, you're not even allowed to read it any more

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm going to not only ask you to leave the thread, you're not even allowed to read it any more

Yeah, all cultural and panspiritual word salad buffet poo poo aside, I mean :frogout:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'll agree to these terms if you post something better. Actually I'll agree to these terms if you're willing to even make an attempt :hmmyes:

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

It's a literal miracle that my balls are still spherical
Homie slammed them in the drawer argh my balls hurt

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So OP did the guy suck your balls and eat your crap or not?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was there, OP shot up the venue

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Very, very few freestyles are 100% on-the-spot improv. That's like, an incredible talent when someone can do it and it's the kind of thing that launches them to superstardom, if they're good at it.

You should be writing a book of just baseline disses that you can lay down over any beat and thinking up good insults & rhymes to use all the time, then once you can put those down subconsciously over a beat to get a flow going, it frees your mind up to come up with off the dome jabs to weave in throughout your rhymebook of disses.

Rap battles are…fake?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'll agree to these terms if you post something better. Actually I'll agree to these terms if you're willing to even make an attempt :hmmyes:

Deep dish peat moss you can deep throat this boss, tried to step up son but you suck like Contagion,
Thas right I'm reffin Soderbergh trash cuz I'm brash I rain fire on your rear end.

You were nice about OP's screed but he's a dipshit dillweed, an unthankful scrote anyone would vote,
got kicked out on his can, we're talkin a lifetime ban say goodbye forever Stan cuz you so poo poo it's like future raisin bran.

But like, don't actually leave the thread I was just making a jape.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deep dish peat moss you can deep throat this boss, tried to step up son but you suck like Contagion,
Thas right I'm reffin Soderbergh trash cuz I'm brash I rain fire on your rear end.

You were nice about OP's screed but he's a dipshit dillweed, an unthankful scrote anyone would vote,
got kicked out on his can, we're talkin a lifetime ban say goodbye forever Stan cuz you so poo poo it's like future raisin bran.

But like, don't actually leave the thread I was just making a jape.

I think that’s literally just a Queen song,
But then again I just hit the bong.
Titties
*bongo solo*

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

If you want to be impressed with actual freestyle ability Supernatural and MC Juice are incredible. As nerdy as the name is, Astronautilus during his live shows will ask the crowd for topics to freestyle about.

Supernat would routinely freestyle the roster of Rock the Bells announcing each rapper. He’s a phenomenal freestyler.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Peestyle

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Let's write a rap song about the OP

Imagine my shock when
I too was a simulacrum of

Spitting haiku since similac
soon as heartbeat started clapping

I'm feasting on my problems
turn em to yeast to grow my culture

Puzzle pieces packed and molden
My speech impeded by these vultures

I'm eager to be among
the pantheon of zenith beholders

Reaching the peak of the Pinnacle
gripping my teeth on the boulders

This is somehow even whiter than the op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dixville posted:

This is somehow even whiter than the op

Yea.... yea...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
straight outta greenwich ct

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mozi posted:

straight outta greenwich ct

MOTHERFUCKER NAMED DEREK
FROM A GANG CALLED CRACKERS IN CHINOS

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

Some of those are really good but I want my rhymes to be authentic to who I am and I’m not from the streets. I think part of the problem on Thursday is I wanted to get there early so I went straight from work and I was still in my work clothes. I’m not trying to make excuses but it didn’t help.

:piss: I'm starting to think you're having a lend of us.

A probable trouble with you being 'authentic' is that hiphop has conventions. A whole lot of the lyrics are, I believe, about living in, and trying to escape from, the ghetto.

You can rap about your office job, office politics (watch you don't get sued for libel though, seriously), what your mom made you for dinner, and even about these very forums. But that would be only of interest to you, and maybe to us (if it's good/funny enough).

A middle class white rapper just might have a niche as a comedy rapper in non-ghetto comedy clubs (try an open mic night maybe), though I think you'd need much more awareness of Self and where you fit in the world than you're demonstrating ITT.

Larry Cum Free posted:

"You're not even good at rap
So suck my balls and eat my crap!"

That's why you failed, not (mainly) for wearing your work clothes, you fool, you clown, you absolute idiot.

I suggest you suck your own balls and eat your own crap for like a year or more, until you develop enough humility to create good art.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Enter a breakdance contest where you jerk your arms around like a broken C-3PO and drop to the ground and roll around on cardboard like you’re on fire. Then run up to the turntables and start scratching the record back and forth like wikka wikka wikka. Yeaaaaaaaa Boooooooyeeeeeeee!
When you get thrown out, grab a can of spray paint and write LARRY in sloppy cursive on the outside of the club.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
One time I was dancing with a girl at a club and she asked me if I was okay. I said yeah great why. She said because I was dancing weird, thought I wasn't feeling well. I said I wasn't feeling well and went and sat back down.

I'm sorry you felt embarrassed about your performance op, it sucks. We just gotta try a little harder, maybe work on it a bit more.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I don't even go in public

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Larry Cum Free posted:

Ok well I'd probably do something like:

he wears a heart 'round his neck
I wear my heart on my sleeve
he got dumb purple shorts
that don't reach his knees

purple heart like his grampy got for serving with honor
he got his sitting at home smoking "mar-i-juaner"
got his cat eating pizza crusts not catching no mouse
homey should start listening to 'Chapo Rap House'!

:boom:

no but that’s really juvenile and repetitive idk I think you need to rethink your approach

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

A probable trouble with you being 'authentic' is that hiphop has conventions. A whole lot of the lyrics are, I believe, about living in, and trying to escape from, the ghetto.

A lot of Gangster Rap is storytelling and fantasy, also. It's like pro wrestling. All the Cossa Nostra NYC mid-90s stuff was role play, no different than Action Bronson talking about doing a triple front flip.

There's all manner of hip hop about all sorts of things it's truly a global art form, but there's also a ton of really quite bad hip hop.

The "backpack" era produced a lot of very, very lovely music that was more focused on pushing the genre and abandoned listenability.

(Looking at Sage Francis fans)

There's a whole paragraph about this in the liner notes of O.ST by People Under the Stairs (RIP DOUBLE K).

At the end of the day, you might look silly as a suburban white guy rocking to Gucci Mane. But, who gives a poo poo. Appreciate the music for what it is. It's totally fine to appreciate music made by people with different backgrounds and upbringings. Just don't internalise it and believe you've got insight into the life because you own 36 Chambers on vinyl.

If you want to contribute to the genre as a boring suburbanite, it's entirely possible, but you run the risk of looking like a biter because most are just going to assume it's being done in bad faith.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chapo Rap House

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

Well excuse me for trying something hard instead of giving up and becoming a drummer

Quote of the year contender.

Also nobody steal my parachute account name RapBattleTutors.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Poohs Packin posted:

A lot of Gangster Rap is storytelling and fantasy, also. It's like pro wrestling. All the Cossa Nostra NYC mid-90s stuff was role play, no different than Action Bronson talking about doing a triple front flip.

a lot of the poo poo still is and especially was infact extremely real, mf doom didnt make rap snitch knishes about nobody

like biggie wasn't really actually a big-time gangster, just sold dope on the corner for a bit, pac wasn't ever really a gangbanger or even projected the image of one til after the fbi framed him for rape & Suge bailed him out of prison, but lol he'd still already shot a cop in the rear end in(legal) self defense in Baltimore

people brag about grandiose poo poo in hiphop, but puffy 100% called the escalations that ended up getting pac killed, Suge in death row records, was heavily affiliated with the bloods, shook down multiple artists, and ordered the retaliatory hit on biggie

jay z was legitimately moving weight across the east coast in the late 80-earlymid-90s, about half the members of wu tang were doin crimey poo poo up until the feds started investigating them for working with the Gambino crime family moving illegal guns, they also funded their earlier studio time by selling drugs, wu-tang, jay, and big

biggie took a break halfway through recording ready to die to go back to selling drugs because it was better money, but then came back like 9 months later, that's why he sounds different on some of the trucks, the deeper voice ones are all later when he'd changed his style a bit

Jam Master Jay got killed over street poo poo, in the studio

Cash Money Records/CME is literally built off of heroin sales and birdman's brother is a big-time dopedealer in New Orleans,
Thizz Entertainment (RIP Mac Dre) was built off drug sales

BMF records was a front for BMF the gang, run by Big Meech, to launder money, they only had one rapper, who did time over it (Bleu Davinci) and most of the stuff he did was features with other crime associated labels, they've got dozens of bodies linked to them and in the early 2000s were one of the most profitable drug organizations in the country, they were breaking 350m a year or something in estimated drug income at their peak

Gucci Mane was selling dope til around the last time he went to prison
Push still sold crack till like, 2009
Rap-a-Lot Records started with drug money, Jay Prince is dirty and grimy as gently caress
Masta P was moving dope and No Limit started off drug money too

Pretty much EVERY rapper from Houston in the 90s was active in the dope game

a *lot* of the current trap artists get their starts by paying off clubs to play their trucks in Atlanta and Houston and poo poo

Young Thug's fighting a RICO case rn, had someone shoot up lil waynes tour bus, set up a hit on someone on jail, his crime career got started by Birdman

Bobby Shmurda

21 savage was doing street poo poo til he made it, his best friend got shot in the head when he was 14, sitting next to him in a car, 21 got shot in the throat, that's why his voice is all whispery

Danny Brown was selling rocks til he made it

Big Pun was more of a criminal than a rapper for most of his life

like that's just off the top of my head lol

hiphop and crime aren't inseparable but you're kidding yourself if you think they don't have a looot of overlap, still, but especially if you go back to the mid 90s

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 26, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BUG JUG posted:

Quote of the year contender.

lol yeah that's a good'un

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

to emphasize my point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtchKk_stCU

this is the song that got 50 cent shot nine times, cuz he was too ballsy and straight said names and stuff that'd happened
like, for real, look up almost *any* name he drops in this song and it'll be someone who was/is real in the drug game and he's saying poo poo that really went down

this brought a Lot of attention on people who wanted none, which pissed off jimmy henchman, who had him shot, iirc by a friend of Mike Tyson (seriously), jimmy henchman also had jam master jay shot, AND had tupac robbed and shot in NY which set off the east-west beef

NY hiphop crime poo poo isn't just real as gently caress in the 90s-00s, it's a smaller world than you'd imagine it to be, and some of the stuff that's gone down is so insane that it just sounds made up

quote:

Two studies in the mid-2010s concluded that murder was the cause of half of hip hop musician deaths. The average age of death is between 25–30 years of age. Hip hop artists have a higher rate of homicide than artists of any other genre of music, ranging from five to 32 times higher

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat it's just really, that's real poo poo. it's not professional wrestling except for stuff at the very tippy top of the industry where there's pop crossover, like the Pusha T/Kanye(Pre-Nazi) - Drske beef, which even that got squashed by Jay Prince, because it was pissing him off, because drake makes him money

watch the video of Jay Prince standing next to Kanye as he's reading out an apology to Drake, its on YouTube it's like 2min long, you can see him mouthing the words and Kanye looks like a hostage reading a forced confession

it wasn't an accident, he's doing that because he wanted Kanye to be embarrassed having to let everyone know it was actually Prince who forced it to happen as a power move

what kind of influence does a person have to make a billionaire who listens to fuckin nobody on earth listen to them?

he made Kanye do a charity concert with Drake to raise money for Larry Hoover 's legal fund.
Larry Hoover's the founder of the BD (Black Disciple) gang and doing six life sentences at ADX Florence supermax

Takeoff from Migos was killed at an event in Houston being hosted by Jay Prince's son, Jay Prince Jr (lol)

one time Master P, the make em say unghhh no limit soulja dude, kidnapped Pimp C of UGK, over some beef like, tied up in a hotel room and pistol whipped him at least once, and was going to kill him, but UGK was signed to Rap-A-Lot

so Master P had to call up Jay Prince and ask him for the okay and he told him no and he let him go

then had UGK and Master P make some songs together

Prince is still running rapalot today

master P still owns No Limit

Birdman's still running CM, Diddy's still signing people

there's 'fake' gangster rappers thatre essentially 100% the image/aesthetic for sure, like Rick Ross, Lil Wayne's always been making stuff up, Asap Rocky's always making stuff up

but they aren't all action bronson & it's not all pbony stuff at any tier of the industry & that cosa nostra mafia poo poo in mid 90s NY became an aesthetic but it started from rappers having real-rear end mob connections

speaking of action bronson, him and ghostface, (who was the co-originator of the cosanostra NY rap, with raekwon on OB4CL), had some issues about 7-8 years back over Bronson copping ghostfaces style or saying something about how that sound isnt "only ghostfaces" after already having an issue

ghostface put up this video, calling him a fat gently caress like 50 times, tells him he might have him lit on fire for saying his name, threatens to hang him from a rope and gut him like a pig, and mentions that he's got shooters all over the country who'll do the time for killing him followed by "i know your your schedule bruh"

it's a must watch for several reasons, video is insane you can't really describe how fuckin scary he comes off in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z93IaKPY_Wc

action bronson never responded publicly, but as far as I know there was never any issue after that, and he doesn't sound like ghostface too much anymore, there's some theatricality in the way that the message was delivered but that's not theater

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 26, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rapsbergers syndrome.txt

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

In conclusion rap music is a land of contrasts. I can't really disagree with any of that as you've named like 20 extremely prevalent and influential rappers who were involved in very serious crime and violence.

However, for every one of those guys there are 4000 unheard of gun rappers who are doing it for the aesthetic. Or dudes like Machine Gun Kelly who are from nice suburbs who will play up a checkered past.

I for one prefer a bit of honesty like John Lajoie, who is pretty much what I expect OP was aspiring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fBHokcsnY

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

rapsbergers syndrome.txt

raps history is cool as gently caress and i won't tolerate a god drat goon saying that it's all faked right before suggesting a buncha rappers that someone whose favorite rapper is Aesop Rock would lol
Disgusting

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

raps history is cool as gently caress and i won't tolerate a god drat goon saying that it's all faked right before suggesting a buncha rappers that someone whose favorite rapper is Aesop Rock would lol
Disgusting

music history is cool as gently caress period and op saying drumming is easy was a real lol, hopefully op learns something about rap and music before he goes back to a battle rap night if they even let him back in

protect ya neck if you go back op

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

Disgusting

Aesop Rock. How. Dare. You.

My favorite rapper is Big L.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BigBadSteve posted:

You can rap about your office job, office politics (watch you don't get sued for libel though, seriously), what your mom made you for dinner, and even about these very forums. But that would be only of interest to you, and maybe to us (if it's good/funny enough).

A middle class white rapper just might have a niche as a comedy rapper in non-ghetto comedy clubs (try an open mic night maybe), though I think you'd need much more awareness of Self and where you fit in the world than you're demonstrating ITT.

That's why you failed, not (mainly) for wearing your work clothes, you fool, you clown, you absolute idiot.

I suggest you suck your own balls and eat your own crap for like a year or more, until you develop enough humility to create good art.

This post is really embarrassing for you

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

• a picture of qirex, at a rap concert

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Theres lots of bees
We gotta keep em safe
They polinate plants
and flowers help on dates

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You Know I own a tractor
And I hope that is a factor
In the intertwining of our mortal hearts
They say love is a sickness
And Ive go the thickness
To screw up this attempt for your love

Wee fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 26, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMOMNNqIRE

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

This is pretty interesting but also makes me glad I don’t like or care about rap (not judging just a preference) because it would be frustrating to me to have my favorite musicians murdering each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mozi posted:

This is pretty interesting but also makes me glad I don’t like or care about rap (not judging just a preference) because it would be frustrating to me to have my favorite musicians murdering each other.

lol yeah Matt Pike ain't murdering Al Cisneros any time soon.

Mayhem, though, those guys did kill each other.