Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't really post in DnD anymore but I do lurk sometimes for DC soap opera info and I find the threads a lot easier to parse these days. There are far fewer slap fights and even when moderation seems heavy handed it generally feels evenly heavy handed so there are far fewer cries for revision. All in all, very readable

Edit: vvvvvvi thanks for the kind words but I'm not coming back.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
At this juncture, one of the actions needed is to actively re-solicit the groups of educated users that were driven out of the forum over the past 6 or so years. The lawyers, the scientists, the people who used to make discussion viable in greater detail. Per Bar Ran Dun's comment, we now face an active negative stereotype of DnD, continuously reinforced elsewhere, whenever there's an attempt to have someone from anywhere else on SA participate.

Koos Group posted:

We already have a rule that sources require some explanation if they're being used to make an argument. As well as one that users must not misrepresent the source. We do read sources when a user is reported for this, which you should know. What Cinci and I are proposing is more along the lines of not letting sources make your argument for you, but only using them as a "see also" sort of reference, or a citation for a fact.

No, you do not, and you know you don't. You have a "guideline" that isn't predictably enforced, and I do know it's not predictably enforced.

Koos Group posted:

I'm not sure I understand the analogy to austerity. The reason that standards implied by D&D's three rules are called guidelines rather than rules is to emphasize that they aren't exhaustive. If you act in bad faith, the rule you're breaking is the one to not impede discussion. And there are other ways you could break this rule that aren't enumerated, as well. The guidelines are simply the most common things that come up.

It's not an analogy to austerity; it's an invitation to sabotage, working backwards from wanting to do less. The "guidelines" have never served as the floor for moderation. The mods have been very explicit about finding ways to not apply those guidelines- and in practice, because some require more work than others, the ones requiring the most thought get applied least, and have the most explicit statements of a policy of nonenforcement. The paradox of tolerance continues.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 27, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Discendo Vox posted:

At this juncture, one of the actions needed is to actively re-solicit the groups of educated users that were driven out of the forum over the past 6 or so years. The lawyers, the scientists, the people who used to make discussion viable in greater detail. Per Bar Ran Dun's comment, we now face an active negative stereotype of DnD, continuously reinforced elsewhere, whenever there's an attempt to have someone from anywhere else on SA participate.

I strongly agree with this.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Turgid Flagella posted:

Lib and let died.

ETA: why would I post on LALD? It was made very clear by the last pre-bam probation on my rap sheet that my specific expertise as part of the Dem fundraising machine isn't as recognized as the credentials of other posters just because I'm a cranky, cantankerous rear end in a top hat.

Please do not insult cranky, cantankerous assholes by referring to yourself as one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I'm gonna pipe up and say that really aggressive modding for the Ukraine thread specifically is a good thing. Having a low tolerance for shitposts, clancychat etc. in that thread is fine - if you want to post stuff like that, there are other subforums' Ukraine-threads that have that. Probably there is the occasional post that maybe didn't need a sixer, but like, who the gently caress cares about sixers?

While you could say the Ukraine thread modding is pretty strict, it's a solid thread and overall I think it works well. I prefer how Cinci lets people know there getting too off topic before hitting mod buttons. YMMV.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Discendo Vox posted:

No, you do not, and you know you don't. You have a "guideline" that isn't predictably enforced, and I do know it's not predictably enforced.

That's just life though. I am not just talking about the sub-forum but the wider world in general. Each thread has its own subculture going on and it's not going to be fair for everyone at all times, especially when it is volunteer work. I mean unless I feel like eating a probe (and honestly who cares), I just accept the fact that the resident chuckleheads in the Ukraine thread will randomly start making GBS threads on IR theory in bad faith, and if I respond I am the one eating the probe. Cest la vie. Though if you are willing to fight hard enough for a particular thread, you can actually clean it up. The China thread has been actually very good since the last time we had a meltdown with the worst offenders having been ejected.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The China thread is also rarely posted in and frequently it is just one poster for weeks at a time.

Really, this seems like a good overview of the situation in D&D as a whole, less posting more of it being for a smaller audience of, I'll say "dedicated", readers and it being less about chats with politics and more about showing how bright you are.

If that is what is wanted then great, but be aware that is what is happening.

Edit:spelling

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 27, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

The China thread is also rarely posted in and frequently it is just one poster for weeks at a time.

Really, this seems like a good overview of the situation in D&D is a whole, less posting more of it being for a smaller audience of, I'll say "dedicated", readers and it being less about chats with politics and more about showing how bright you are.

Anyone who wants to chat about China does it in GBS or CSPAM depending on what and how they want to chat about it.

I think that's as much a reason for the quiet threads as anything else. You can find a more casual thread in other places.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Some of the China posting died down due to accusations of racism if one questioned the official Chinese Government line on things.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Josef bugman posted:

Really, this seems like a good overview of the situation in D&D is a whole, less posting more of it being for a smaller audience of, I'll say "dedicated", readers and it being less about chats with politics and more about showing how bright you are.

there's an anti posting agenda, plain and simple

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

While this is open I have a few small pieces if feedback.

-Proof by contradiction is a standard logical argument so it's strange that a debate forum bans this and punishes people for doing it (characterized as "arguing indirectly" or "argument by innuendo")

-You shouldn't get probated for "assuming bad faith" if you merely point out a mistake someone is making, like strawmanning your argument. Strawmanning can, and often is, done unintentionally through misunderstanding, saying "hey X is a strawman my argument is Y" shouldn't be treated as an accusation of bad faith.

-Related to that, people shouldn't be punished for accidentally misunderstanding someone's argument if they take the correction gracefully:
"Hey X is a strawman my argument is Y"
"Oh sorry in the case here's my argument against Y"
Doesn't seem like it needs any mod buttons, misunderstandings happen. It's really only a problem if someone's a dick about it and is like "no your argument is X and you're wrong!!!"

-Is sarcasm allowed or not, this rule is enforced especially inconsistently and seems to just come down to which side of the discussion the person moderating the thread comes down on. Which is partly human nature, a sarcastic quip from someone I agree with is clever and funny, a quip from someone I don't agree with is glib and unserious and annoying, I get that sure. But like either ban it and go zero-tolerance or don't. Punishing it selectively is just going to drive out differences of opinion because people with unpopular views get tired of being mocked while getting punished if they respond in kind.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

and if I respond I am the one eating the probe.
You happen to eat a probation when, and only when, you slip into "you people". IR theory is not a goon, unlike goons making GBS threads on it. For example, with the locus of probations bolded:

MikeC posted:

Just FYI, the twitter dude you are quoting is a Cato institute researcher. They are borderline isolationist in their FP thinking. They heavily argue against intervention and adventurism and it is through this lens they view the Russo-Ukrainian war. I'll assume this was a good-faith question. Most IR analysts of the realist school also do not view this war in isolation, especially US-based analysts who view this conflict as just one of many issues that need to be managed in order for the United States to maintain its hegemonic grip in the world that is growing evermore multipolar. Within this framework, Ukrainian territorial integrity is of minimal consequence to the United States. Unlike the bipolar world of the post-war era, proxy wars against *the* rival center of power are no longer zero-sum games. Since the emergence of China as a player with Great Power ambitions, any decrease in stability or power projection of the Russian state to protect its traditional spheres of influence necessarily results in the ability of Beijing to incorporate these regions into its own. This expansion is no longer theoretical with China emerging as Central Asia's security guarantor in the most recent SCO meeting held in Samarkand which saw Putin politically isolated and playing second fiddle with many CTSO countries that nominally rely on Russia as the guarantor and arbiter of security issues in the region.

Since almost all analysts see China as the new primary competitor to the United States, many view this current conflict as somewhat of a sideshow where the US and its treaty allies should not be wasting their strength. See the recent discussion on how the militaries and the hawks in many NATO countries are fretting that the Ukrainians are firing off all the ammunition they might need if they went to a shooting war with China. Even Mearsheimer, who takes an incredibly passive stance on Russia even in realist circles, is an absolute hawk against the Chinese and thinks Taiwan should be defended without question by the US. So when viewed within a wider geopolitical spectrum, Russia is not a primary threat, especially now that it is exhausting itself in Ukraine and US foreign policy should account for that fact. Generalizations tend to make fools of everyone and it is no different when talking about "realists" when everyone that falls within this loose category has differing views of how to proceed. What is common beyond the multipolar issue is that whatever they advocate, Ukraine is just a small part of the puzzle and it is the future of Russia that is more relevant. To them, what is scary isn't the prospect of Ukraine once again falling into the Russian orbit. What is scary is the possibility of Putin dragging Russia so far into the deep end that the Russian state itself collapses as an entity or suffers a sustained period of internal infighting which would see China gobble up tracts of the Siberian far east giving it access to the Arctic circle at worst or see Russia (with its wealth of energy and mineral resources) being driven into Beijing's arms as a junior partner in a new "Pax Sinica". The most ardent of these believers include people like Mearsheimer who everyone loves to hate in this thread who believe that the West should be doing its best to drive a wedge between Moscow and Beijing instead of pushing the two together at every opportunity.

Others, take a more middling stance where it is acknowledged that Moscow will always look to Beijing and vice versa so long as the US remains the 'first among equals' in the Great Power game but that there are reasons why you don't want Russia to go busto in Ukraine to the point where the state is in danger of collapse. The first is the potential of a messy exit by Putin and the semi-collapse of the Russian Federation along with the subsequent difficulty in accounting for the largest nuclear arsenal in the world. The second is the possibility of maintaining Russia as a 2nd tier power allowing the theoretical possibility of a Russia that is not wholly beholden to Chinese interests and is willing to play both sides to avoid complete domination by a foreign agenda and thus keep the Chinese in check to a certain degree. Advocates of this camp look not only for the potential of a more graceful exit for Putin (negotiated peace) but also to potential successors to Putin should he be liquidated, where assurance is given that the territorial integrity of Russia, sans Ukrainian territory, will be respected and even defended in the face of belligerence from China should they just find a way to end this stupid war. This assurance requires no belief of goodwill on behalf of the Russians as it is the natural position for the US to take in its continued quest to contain China and maintain dominance in the Pacific. A distant third that is sometimes cited is the possibility of full nuclear escalation between NATO and Russia should the conflict continue and Western involvement in it remains constant - though no one seriously believes this and is more of a fig leaf.

Of course, none of this cares about what happens to Ukraine or the Ukrainians. If you are in the morally purist camp, this view is often cited as 'stupid' or 'evil' or what have you but to the realists, it's just the cold truth. Ukraine is a chip and should be played to the best advantage. If there is a low-cost method of keeping them in the fight then great. If not, however, losing it to the Russians, while not necessarily desirable, is not a deal breaker as the next set of countries are NATO treatied and thus entrenched to form a solid barrier to potential Russian expansion. Exhausting the collective West economically and militarily makes little sense when the real competitor is China.

Just to reiterate though, the tweet you linked is not written by a dude from the classical realist camp. He is from the libertarian camp where the US should just stick to the US and avoid foreign entanglements as much as possible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MikeC posted:

Without access to classified materials, no one (including Twitter OSINT) can make a useful assessment of who is winning or who is more likely to retain an edge in the coming months. All outsiders can do is observe what has happened before and come up with a plausible scenario that fits the facts and behavior we have seen so far. Over the past 10 months with what we have witnessed the most likely assessment that can be made is that both the Ukrainians and the Russians are no longer capable of major offensive activities on the level that would either see the sudden liberation of Ukrainian territory or their sudden collapse.

The logical reasoning for this is simple. If the Ukrainians were legitimately on the ropes manpower-wise, would they have risked significant portions of their regular troops in a major counterattack to clear Kharkiv up to the Russian border? This move actually increased the frontage they needed to hold. Would a Ukrainian army that was facing a legitimate manpower crunch also launch sustained offensive pressure in Kherson when they had the option of continuing the status quo of pinning down Russia's best troops in Kherson in a state where they were under-supplied and were not a major offensive threat? Similarly, there are zero reasons to be alarmed about minor gains by the Russians here and there on the Donbas. If the Russians did have the forces in the numbers needed seriously reverse Ukranian fortunes, then we would have seen it deployed already and Kharkiv never would have happened. Local successes happen all the time. Just in October, everyone in the thread was breathlessly waiting for the total collapse of the Russian army after Kharkiv and were licking their chops at every minor village being liberated on the far bank of the Siverskyi river when in reality, it was the last gasp of the Ukrainian attack as the Russians firmed up their positions. The setbacks listed could easily have been a local overmatch forcing the defenders to move out. I think short of Putin getting removed from power and the war ending, the current situation is as good as the Ukrainians could have hoped for. Significant portions of the country have been liberated. Kyiv and Ukrainian sovereignty is safe, and the Russians are actively on a defensive posture or taking defensive measures on significant portions of the front with no prospect of any major offensive action. If you offered them on the 1st of March that at the end of November these would be the front lines, I think they would have taken that without thinking twice.

By the same token, there is no reason for over-exuberance on behalf of the Ukrainians. Every day this war drags on they lose more citizens that are in their economic and reproductive prime and the Ukrainian demographics weren't exactly healthy, to begin with. Their continued ability to wage war is almost entirely contingent on continued Western support and while that support still appears to be still quite solid, there is no way you prolong this war or slow roll your ability to liberate as much of your country as possible before your backers potentially get sick of the bill that you are wracking up on their credit cards. And it is clear they aren't exactly blitzing to clear back to the 2022 borders. Indeed we know they tried as they sustained attacks on Russian forces in the Izyum sector well past the days when the easy gains were being won and they couldn't crack the Russians. Same thing in Kherson when twice, they appeared to make hard pushes to force a breakthrough only to fail and have to resort back to the slow squeeze before the Russians decided to get smart and abandon the right bank. So while the Ukrainians aren't exactly in danger of collapsing, it appears they have spent the majority of their bullets for now.

This is all that one can reasonably say given public information. Maybe the Ukrainians or Russians are secretly building a new reserve for a big attack come the spring or even in winter if the weather allows for it. But I sincerely doubt any of us ITT have information on the existence of such an effort or would have access to such info even if it was true.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is picking out the fairly inoffensive sentence clause "who everyone loves to hate in this thread" and punishing a long informative post for it good modding, does that develop good discussion.

I'm not demanding an answer, this is a question for you guys to think about

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Is picking out the fairly inoffensive sentence clause "who everyone loves to hate in this thread" and punishing a long informative post for it good modding, does that develop good discussion.

I'm not demanding an answer, this is a question for you guys to think about

It is posting at people, and it's what the “sarcasm” probations that you gripe about are for, and so on and so forth. As far as the war thread is concerned, however, I have a zero-tolerance approach to inter-poster and inter-forum drama, and it is great modding on the back end. The last time our war thread has been on the agenda of anyone in the mod forum was when I got modded, nearly a year ago, which you can't really say as summarily about other threads.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why even have a feedback thread if you're going to characterize people as "griping" for providing feedback you asked for. Don't have the thread then if some mild criticism and questioning is "griping" to you.

Anyways if you think those probes make for good discussion okay, seems penny ante stuff to me but I don't read that thread so maybe it's necessary or something. It's not really related to my feedback about "sarcasm", where as I said the issue is the very inconsistent enforcement, I could probably check the last pages of a bunch of threads and find plenty of sarcasm, and as I showed above reporting it is pretty much pointless, as even reports on very obvious rule-breaking get ignored, much less subjective stuff like whether a post is too sarcastic.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 27, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Why even have a feedback thread if you're going to characterize people as "griping" for providing feedback you asked for. Don't have the thread then if some mild criticism and questioning is "griping" to you.

Am I not allowed to say that you complain when you've written a complaint? Also, no comment on “people” meaning “the 200 probations goon”.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

feedback ftw

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Am I not allowed to say that you complain when you've written a complaint? Also, no comment on “people” meaning “the 200 probations goon”.

Ok I'm going to chalk this up to a language barrier because "griping" has a very negative connotation compared to "complaining".

A complaint can be a neutral description, saying someone is "griping" never is. So no offense taken if you only meant "complain"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Anyways if you think those probes make for good discussion okay, seems penny ante stuff to me but I don't read that thread so maybe it's necessary or something.

Catching your edit now, I don’t think that they actively promote a good discussion per se, if we dial into probations for posting at the thread or at the individual goons in it. They do tend to discourage holy crusade style of posts, however, which in my view of the war thread is a benefit that outweighs potentially bruising an informative poster or two with a sixer, both for the internal vibe of it and for its external perception.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As I have suggested multiple times both to you, to other people in the gassed thread, and here - all you need to get me to ignore your thread is to name it more appropriately, e.g., “I want to talk about AI”. Do not name it after a specific, real-world thing, such as OpenAI ChatGPT or Google Bard, and the only reason I’ll have to read it then is if someone reports a post there, and I’m the mod clearing the queue at that moment.

I'm sorry but I feel this is an incredibly anal distinction. I'm a huge fan of weasel words but topics are living and breathing things and the margins are where discovery happens and my own personal views have been challenged. I have to agree with a general theme in that while I appreciate strict moderation, I do think there is too heavy-handed moderation. I suspect posters in threads would rather debate and discuss (even if the topic isn't completely on point and not going in circles) than someone getting a sixer, threadbanned, etc.

That being said I do appreciate cracking down on people who post in bad faith. Since the whole Ukraine war has taken off that's been on the rise and it's beyond tedious at this point. Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=230261#frompost530754006 Though this seems like an example of....not? I'd have to be explained to how it's a bad faith post.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 27, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah bad shoot on that one Cinci

edit: Especially as it seems the poster was going from exactly the type of words words in quotes as news updates you've said you want to discourage to a more analytical and asking questions way of sharing notable events

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 27, 2023

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

At this juncture, one of the actions needed is to actively re-solicit the groups of educated users that were driven out of the forum over the past 6 or so years.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I strongly agree with this.

That's 3 'ayes' for clemency for experts - the admins can email me when they've rolled back the ban on my main :)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Please purge cinci from moderation as he has no understanding of how people communicate and stifles anything that he deems unworthy.

Between him and Vox this place is an evaporating puddle that gets saltier and saltier with each passing day.

Loosen the rules, let people post and discuss. Moderation should be loose guard rails to prevent people from being too big of an rear end in a top hat, not because you don't like what they are saying. Stop trying to have a space where only the Poindexterest Poindexters get to determine what is discussed and how.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Josef bugman posted:

Which I think is a fine thing. If there is nothing of great interest for anyone to discuss on China then the thread can lie fallow. If there is a want or desire for low (not a negative) level chatter on it, other sub forums have the appropriate place for it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's fine to have a pointdexter politics forum when there's other places to casually chat about politics

even if that means threads lie fallow

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It should be completely fine to have casual discourse in D&D.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There are many places that do have more casual discourse in D&D like the country threads, the chat thread (and maybe USCE? I don't know I don't read it).

Can you make a compelling argument why D&D needs to be a place like GBS or CSPAM? And why posting in those places is less preferable than D&D for casually discussing politics?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

silence_kit posted:

Pretty obvious example: if you read USPol, it is loaded with low content rants and posts about how Republicans, rich people, corporations are evil, and so on. The rants aren't really made against any particular thing someone has said, are often loaded with exaggerations and falsehoods, etc. No one enforces the forum rules here because huge numbers of posters in USPol use the thread as an outlet to vent about how much they hate The Bad Men.

HOWEVER:

If you were to direct a similar style of post towards a thread consensus opinion, belief, sacred cow, etc. you would be met with swift justice.

Do you have some specific examples of this? For me personally, I have been trying over the last ~6 months to do the bulk of moderating via posting in threads and not probes. I think I still have less than 10 probes in the last year.

I also usually give everyone a pass on their first white noise or minor rule violations in USCE when discussing an ongoing event to keep conversation flowing without disrupting everything because of a single joke post or white noise post. I wish more people differing views would post and I generally try to encourage that by explicitly not probating based on ideology and rather based on arguments. The few people i have probed are generally people I agree with on 99% of issues.

If there are some examples that you think are egregious where I haven't been vying to that standard, then please let me know. It would definitely be useful to me both personally and to see examples of the stuff that caused your perception.

The posts you cited below are mostly just examples of people not being punished for minor questions or the occasional white noise post. Part of the goal was to give a little bit of breathing room on developing/current events for everyone. Do you have any examples where a conservative view was punished just for being a conservative view? That is something I would consider a problem and would want to take a look at. Breathing room for breaking and ongoing event discussion should apply to everyone.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

As one of the few right-leaning posters here, I feel this problem is better than I ever remember it being. Obviously you shouldn’t go out of your way to poke the beehive, but I feel like I have leeway to make unpopular points without waiting for the other shoe to drop. Mod activism seems to be at an all time low, and I want to say I appreciate that.

I honestly think leftists used to have a makeshift alliance with liberals here when there was a stronger right wing or libertarian presence, and now that everyone else left, they’ve become the minority. It’s not perfect, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

One suggestion, especially for threads where mods/IKs participate, there should be a clear “I’m wearing my mod hat” delineation from regular posts. Honestly I feel like bolding those posts would be helpful as well, since they’d call attention to a single “move on from this topic” post if someone’s kinda skimming a busy thread.

The other suggestion is probably USCE-specific, but people tend to take a developing incident and fill in the unknowns in a way that supports their own worldview. At best this doesn’t set the table for a real discussion, and at worst it’s just a mix of wish fulfillment and fan fiction. I’d love to see that kind of knee-jerk speculation curtailed.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been trying to allow for this sort of thing, so it is good to see someone noticing.

As for the last paragraph, I think you're right and that it could be toned down a little. But, some people speculating how an event will unfold or what impact it will have isn't necessarily a bad thing. It usually helps when someone gives their assumptions and others can critique it. I try to go out of my way to give context and critique posts that I agree with, but may have been made with some incorrect assumptions in mind because A) I want everyone to be living in the same reality when it comes to facts and B) It helps sharpen everyone's arguments and challenges their assumptions.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think USCE is generally very good for casual discourse. There are frequent effort posts and posts by subject matter experts, but the bulk of posts are just average people asking questions and discussing what is going on. There's almost no punishments for minor rule violations. Casual discourse if going to be different for everyone and I don't think just responding "lol" or empty quoting is really discourse, but you can have a discussion without being a subject matter expert or writing a 10,000 word essay. I'd encourage you to try posting and see if it fits your definition.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 27, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Please purge cinci from moderation as he has no understanding of how people communicate and stifles anything that he deems unworthy.

Between him and Vox this place is an evaporating puddle that gets saltier and saltier with each passing day.

Loosen the rules, let people post and discuss. Moderation should be loose guard rails to prevent people from being too big of an rear end in a top hat, not because you don't like what they are saying. Stop trying to have a space where only the Poindexterest Poindexters get to determine what is discussed and how.

This mostly started with Koos and the huge rule changes that came with him, it almost feels intentional to just drive people away from D&D.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=230261#frompost530754006 Though this seems like an example of....not? I'd have to be explained to how it's a bad faith post.

fez_machine posted:

Yeah bad shoot on that one Cinci

edit: Especially as it seems the poster was going from exactly the type of words words in quotes as news updates you've said you want to discourage to a more analytical and asking questions way of sharing notable events

That is Catpetter, a goon wider known for posting so much SYQ from the D&D war thread in the C-SPAM war thread that Jeffrey began to personally ban them every time they did so. To try to stem this creative crisis, I assume, they’ve since invested quite a bit of effort into what appears to be a “look at me doing lib poo poo and all these dumb libs tolerating it and interacting with it credulously” routine. Which is to say that I measure their specific posts against the totality of their post history as I’ve experienced it.

There could be alternative arrangements here, but the most interesting alternative to me would be to issue a thread ban, since they’ve been a bit too plugged into thread-related drama to ever come off as a candid thread participant to me.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Agreed with this, notably purging Cinci. They are not good at moderating. They are needlessly antagonistic and do not handle criticism well (at all, really). They are good at being in charge of messy poo poo the other mods don't want to deal with, which is why they're a mod. But if the ostensible purpose of a feedback thread is to solicit user ideas on how to improve DnD: remove cinci's star.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Agreed with this, notably purging Cinci. They are not good at moderating. They are needlessly antagonistic and do not handle criticism well (at all, really). They are good at being in charge of messy poo poo the other mods don't want to deal with, which is why they're a mod. But if the ostensible purpose of a feedback thread is to solicit user ideas on how to improve DnD: remove cinci's star.

In the interests of giving feedback, I disagree. Cinci's approach has worked well in the D&D Ukraine thread and before that in the Eastern Europe thread. I especially appreciate this given how much of a drama trap discussion of the war in Ukraine has been on the other subforums.

Maybe it doesn't work so well elsewhere, but I personally haven't seen him be particularly of line.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fez_machine posted:

There are many places that do have more casual discourse in D&D like the country threads, the chat thread (and maybe USCE? I don't know I don't read it).

Can you make a compelling argument why D&D needs to be a place like GBS or CSPAM? And why posting in those places is less preferable than D&D for casually discussing politics?

It's not actually unlike them though. It just narrows the allowed shitposting to a specific ideological range.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Aegis posted:

In the interests of giving feedback, I disagree. Cinci's approach has worked well in the D&D Ukraine thread and before that in the Eastern Europe thread. I especially appreciate this given how much of a drama trap discussion of the war in Ukraine has been on the other subforums.

Maybe it doesn't work so well elsewhere, but I personally haven't seen him be particularly of line.

The way they've handled the thread from becoming a drama trap is to forbid discussion of certain topics that are absolutely relevant to discussing the War that Cinci and most thread regulars don't want to read about. MikeC upthread, for example, mentioned how IR theory is verboten--I would figure academic discussions as to the causes of war would be germane to talking about a given war. There's a list of other, purportedly "boring" topics that are off-limits, including the "History of NATO, its relationship with the USSR and the ex-USSR states up until February 24, 2022." That topic isn't boring, it's just something cinci and some others don't want to talk about (I have my beliefs on why that is, but will refrain from elaborating here to keep this from being too much posting about posters). There's nothing left to debate or discuss in the thread, it's essentially an RSS of the war.

I also understand I'm impotently pissing in the wind on this. I'm just sore because not one, but two posters told me to die back when the war started over this post I made, both of whom received whopping 6ers for doing so. The mod responsible for those is no longer a DnD mod, thankfully, but the whole experience surrounding discussing the war in DnD has been pretty foul.

But as you mentioned, Aegis, the War thread is drama-free, even if it's a terrible space to actually discuss the War.

edit: corrected which post I made that led others to wish death on me.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 27, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I think D&D is going well overall. There seem to be less slapfighting/shitposting/white noise posting in general compared to the past couple years, making it easier to read. Keep up the good work!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Some of the China posting died down due to accusations of racism if one questioned the official Chinese Government line on things.

Just to be clear, accusations of racism were because of posts that claimed all Chinese citizens acted as foreign agents of the Chinese government and decried the spreading of Chinese culture and tolerance as a perfidious Chinese government plot.

quote:

Essentially, the Chinese government wants all of their citizens abroad to act as agents of China. A Chinese citizen is a soldier for the Chinese nation. That sounds like it could backfire in dangerous ways.

Even if a Chinese citizen is opposed to the CCP, they are still spreading their language and culture and promoting tolerance of Chinese people. If you so tightly bind Chinese identity to obedience to the state, it could lead to hostility against Chinese citizens abroad when Western countries are in conflict with China because racists will have a justification for their racism.

E: this relates to a general concern I have that the CCP seems to care more about preserving itself than the safety and security of its own people.

(Emphasis mine.)

Just totally bananas racist stuff, full on Italian dictator "illiberal" rhetoric.

Mods did nothing, instead choosing to probe the people arguing against posts like this. Luckily, the moderation team has changed since. Very strange indeed that the news of Xi negotiating peace in the middle east got basically 0 attention in the China thread :shrug:

Edit: the neatest trick of the post was to blame the Chinese government for racism against Chinese people. Very funny stuff, glad to see it posted in a very normal and cool thread.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2023

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'll toss in another vote in support of this. I have often seen Cinci making mod choices that I agree with and support, such as closing the ChatGPT thread after it blew up, but I also see them being needlessly antagonistic and biased, seeming to threaten posters not for breaking rules, but for disagreeing with them and/or being wrong/uneducated. Such as, again, in the ChatGPT thread:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The fact that a crazy person could have a crazy take on statistics isn't really adding legitimacy to the angle of refusing to understand how the thing works. While I cannot stop such a crazy person from having such a crazy take, I can and will stop them from platforming it in D&D as an idea with an implicit educational value.
While I can understand and appreciate the point being made here, it is not a good example of de-escalation.

I agree there is value to try to bring back experts and treat them well, but I also think there is value to allowing uninformed newcomers and flawed perspectives into a discussion, especially if they bring common misconceptions; clearing up those misconceptions is one of the reasons why experts are valuable in the first place.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

(...) we will not be having a general purpose thread about ChatGPT engaging in substantial anthropomorphization of the software. If you want to make such posts in D&D, you will need to create a thread that leaves no doubt that the thread is about some system of belief, or to debate you personally, rather than about the factual nature of ChatGPT.

Cinci also tried to force the ChatGPT thread to contain itself only to the factual, technical functioning of the model, but that only inflamed the existing tensions in the thread. This isn't SH/SC. There's room for debate of conceptual topics, here. Nothing in the OP defined it in the way Cinci was framing it.

(I know I posted earlier that I supported Cinci's treatment of the ChatGPT thread, and while I still believe closing it was a good move, and personally disagree with many of KillHour's posts & beliefs, I have changed my overall position as a result of posts in this thread)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 27, 2023

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Judgy Fucker posted:

The way they've handled the thread from becoming a drama trap is to forbid discussion of certain topics that are absolutely relevant to discussing the War that Cinci and most thread regulars don't want to read about. MikeC upthread, for example, mentioned how IR theory is verboten--I would figure academic discussions as to the causes of war would be germane to talking about a given war. There's a list of other, purportedly "boring" topics that are off-limits, including the "History of NATO, its relationship with the USSR and the ex-USSR states up until February 24, 2022." That topic isn't boring, it's just something cinci and some others don't want to talk about (I have my beliefs on why that is, but will refrain from elaborating here to keep this from being too much posting about posters). There's nothing left to debate or discuss in the thread, it's essentially an RSS of the war.

I also understand I'm impotently pissing in the wind on this. I'm just sore because not one, but two posters told me to die back when the war started over this post I made, both of whom received whopping 6ers for doing so. The mod responsible for those is no longer a DnD mod, thankfully, but the whole experience surrounding discussing the war in DnD has been pretty foul.

But as you mentioned, Aegis, the War thread is drama-free, even if it's a terrible space to actually discuss the War.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but I strongly disagree. The D&D Ukraine thread is generally quite active and has been kept very readable. I am not aware of anything stopping you from posting a new thread if you want to talk about things that are out-of-bounds.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Aegis posted:

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but I strongly disagree. The D&D Ukraine thread is generally quite active and has been kept very readable. I am not aware of anything stopping you from posting a new thread if you want to talk about things that are out-of-bounds.

The thing that would be stopping me is the capricious moderation by CZS.

Thank you for your cordiality, genuinely. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023
Maybe it's time for d&d to become "d" & "d" - consolidate all threads down to one of two thread tags ("debate" and "discuss") respectively; using the Ukraine thread as an example one thread can be for lively, scholarly debate on the merits of arming Nazis to own The Other Empire and one can be a feel-good, vibes only thread to discuss and report on the ongoing Azov rebellion against That Other Empire