Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I think D&D is going well overall. There seem to be less slapfighting/shitposting/white noise posting in general compared to the past couple years, making it easier to read. Keep up the good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it needs to be casual and chatty because that's what people want, in different flavors. people don't want to defend their posts as if they were dissertations, they want to tell people to shut the gently caress up. we're not going to be able to mandate people only make informed posts, that is outside of the capacity of moderation. something awful is just a smaller version of what we've been learning about the internet over many years now - larger networks simply lead to more arguing, deliberate contention and trolling. smaller networks are gatekept to keep out overly combative or difficult people. if i've got smaller networks that meet my discussion needs, what can this place offer me when i'm bored with being purposefully combative at folks who have opinions i dont like?

This is not what I want. If challenged, I want to be forced to defend my assertions with more substance than a "because I said so" type one-liner. I want others to do the same as well. This is why I post in D&D.

If that's the kind of posting you want to engage in, you can go to GBS/CSPAM/etc so you can simply call others nerds/telling people to shut the gently caress up/etc if they challenge something in your post. There's lots of places here for shitposting, not every subforum needs to have that as a requirement

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 28, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it's not that D&D has to be one way or the other. if people want to post informed, longform content and discuss it in a level headed way, they will do so here. or in the other dedicated subforum for this kind of posting which is long dead

people simply don't want to do that. they want to post casually. we can observe this by seeing how often people post casually vs. how often they post formally. trying to go too hard on formal posts at the expense of casual posts is likely to just lead to less posts and posters over time. the introduction of stricter rules has lead to a slowing of post generation in this forum - which i think is a good thing! but it's not like we're going to hit some critical point of rules enforcement after which a thousand essays will bloom. people just dont post that kind of stuff here as much and i dont see any way you can force that to happen by tinkering with moderation policy or how adjusting how a subforum is marketed to a declining userbase

Can you please stop acting like you know what everyone wants for D&D? This is at least the second post you've made where you make the claim "people want X" or "people don't want X". People want different things, not just the things that you want.