Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I understand where you're coming from, and it would be nice if every post was made with the intent of sharpening one's own debating skills, but on a very basic level, I view the thread as a hub for noteworthy news articles and expert analysis. If that's being commented on by posters with relevant experience, it's a bonus, but I don't want to see that as a pre-condition for posting.

I'm worried you're putting me in a dilemma where we can no longer post links to things other people might find equally interesting, without also having to formulate some commentary of my own, that may well fall short of being insightful due to my own lack of expertise and/or editorial summarizing skills. I might achieve something presentable, if I take the time to sum up my thoughts, mull over them, type them out, edit and re-edit, etc. It might also produce some unreadable mess, or just simply be pointless and uninformative. If you expect commentary or arguments from everyone, no matter how little they know of the subject matter, that's not necessarily likely to raise the quality of the debate overall.

I absolutely wouldn't want to miss something significant that some poster read or heard, but didn't link because they didn't also have the time for high-effort personal commentary.

I'm hoping Cinci isn't expecting a think-tank essay, but just a synopsis so people know what the topic of the article is going to be.

As an example for the post/article he linked to in his OP, something like:

"Despite Putin's tightening grip over Russia's bureaucracy, economy, and civil society, it appears he's still reluctant to employ all the measures necessary to put the country on a total war footing. He's simultaneously attempting to intimidate and demoralize the West with his perceived resolve to do whatever's necessary to defeat Ukraine, while employing a more 'boil the frog' strategy on his own population by incrementally escalating mobilization/repression/economic policies only when required to achieve specific objectives."

Please let me know if I'm way off-base on this expectation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
My feedback of the Ukraine thread is that there are probably some unneeded sixers, but it's currently well-moderated for its intended purpose.

Although I do think there was a period of time earlier in the war where there were waves of blatantly bad-faith posts that only existed to troll/mine SYQs that weren't exactly clamped down upon on the D&D side, and it only eventually stopped because the moderation/admin policies changed elsewhere on the site to ban SYQ-baiting between sub-forums.