Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't really post in DnD anymore but I do lurk sometimes for DC soap opera info and I find the threads a lot easier to parse these days. There are far fewer slap fights and even when moderation seems heavy handed it generally feels evenly heavy handed so there are far fewer cries for revision. All in all, very readable

Edit: vvvvvvi thanks for the kind words but I'm not coming back.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Some of the China posting died down due to accusations of racism if one questioned the official Chinese Government line on things.

Just to be clear, accusations of racism were because of posts that claimed all Chinese citizens acted as foreign agents of the Chinese government and decried the spreading of Chinese culture and tolerance as a perfidious Chinese government plot.

quote:

Essentially, the Chinese government wants all of their citizens abroad to act as agents of China. A Chinese citizen is a soldier for the Chinese nation. That sounds like it could backfire in dangerous ways.

Even if a Chinese citizen is opposed to the CCP, they are still spreading their language and culture and promoting tolerance of Chinese people. If you so tightly bind Chinese identity to obedience to the state, it could lead to hostility against Chinese citizens abroad when Western countries are in conflict with China because racists will have a justification for their racism.

E: this relates to a general concern I have that the CCP seems to care more about preserving itself than the safety and security of its own people.

(Emphasis mine.)

Just totally bananas racist stuff, full on Italian dictator "illiberal" rhetoric.

Mods did nothing, instead choosing to probe the people arguing against posts like this. Luckily, the moderation team has changed since. Very strange indeed that the news of Xi negotiating peace in the middle east got basically 0 attention in the China thread :shrug:

Edit: the neatest trick of the post was to blame the Chinese government for racism against Chinese people. Very funny stuff, glad to see it posted in a very normal and cool thread.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I am happy with the moderation of the Ukraine thread. The seemingly draconian ruleset is necessary with such a spicy topic as white people dying in a war. Otherwise you get the same poo poo you saw early in this thread.

Also very funny for posters loudly wondering " why did all the experts leave!?" and several experts respond "You. We left because of you".

:munch:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My moderation feedback is that this thread needs more moderation because the pedantic slap fights are feeding back into themselves and consuming the thread designed for feedback on moderation.