Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be honest, there are threads in D&D that I see as more "debatey" where the point is to sit and consume the arguments, and ones where I see as more "discussy" where there's things changing and happening at a fast pace and I come here to get news. I think in the latter, I don't really care if poster x gives their opinion on some CNN piece because I came here for the CNN piece, not the poster. Goons manage to be a much better news aggregator than the actual news aggregators, it turns out.

I agree that a summary of what a big article or video is about is important though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is probably outside the scope of this thread, but A/T has two tags - one for the theme and one for whether it's an ask thread or tell thread. Should we have something similar to distinguish debate-focused, casual/conversational, and news threads?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cinci, that was a lot of words to say I don't know what I'm talking about when I gave my credentials multiple times and spent quite a lot of energy referencing both commentary by experts and academic literature, and yet you dismissed me out of hand instead of engaging with the substance of my arguments. That gave other posters carte blanche to frankly dogpile me and drag the conversation kicking and screaming to where people are hurling insults at me when the thread was closed.

And then literally days after that, Microsoft themselves released a paper claiming that GPT-4 shows "sparks of AGI."

The reason I haven't posted in the new thread isn't because I don't want to continue engaging on the subject, but because I don't want to continue engaging with you. That was the literal definition of modding to fit your personal beliefs, and it was some bullshit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As I have suggested multiple times both to you, to other people in the gassed thread, and here - all you need to get me to ignore your thread is to name it more appropriately, e.g., “I want to talk about AI”. Do not name it after a specific, real-world thing, such as OpenAI ChatGPT or Google Bard, and the only reason I’ll have to read it then is if someone reports a post there, and I’m the mod clearing the queue at that moment.

That is not what you said. This is what you said:

quote:

If this is the conversation that you want to have, I will need you to create a thread titled “prove to me that my slide rule is not sentient”, as this thread will be killed then.

quote:

If you want to make such posts in D&D, you will need to create a thread that leaves no doubt that the thread is about some system of belief, or to debate you personally, rather than about the factual nature of ChatGPT.

You also called me "a crazy person."

The new thread is called "Let's chat about AI." Does that mean you've dropped your objections?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, that paper may or may not be in direct contradiction with OpenAI’s official statements on the matter, or getting laughed despite being littered with caveats such as:

Those are not huge caveats. Nobody in that thread, including me, said that ChatGPT is as intelligent as a person, has human-like terminal goals, or is sentient. You know that my core argument is "we don't know whether larger networks will result in emergent behavior that could eventually be considered general intelligence, but every time we make these things bigger, they gain new abilities and we don't really understand how." This is both a fair argument to be having in a thread about the latest, largest models, and not an uncommon argument by researchers in the field.

You were the only person who thought even for a moment that the subject of the thread was strictly limited to ChatGPT instead of just being called that because it was the newest thing at the time. In fact, I don't think you even thought that because there was tons of discussion around generative art and diffusion models that didn't get shut down, despite ChatGPT not being a diffusion model.

Stop straw manning me and stop playing pedantic games.

Edit: here's a giant banner on the top of OpenAI's website:

Please address how this is not relevant to the AI they make and why I'm a crazy person for wanting to talk about it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2023