Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It would be great to reference some observable examples of that happening, because there is a repeated pattern of some posters who love to be giant assholes to others with insults and getting probated for it als announcing in every other post about how they are being silenced for their dissenting opinions and they feel unwelcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
There are places you can discuss how actually, NATO provoked Russia into invading and actually, the holodomor is a made up conspiracy to make the soviets look bad that are more appropriate and you are very welcome to post there, why do you need to import that to DnD

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Turgid Flagella posted:

Sorry, friend, but the Holodomor absolutely happened.

Can you link me any of those threads for discussing how it never happened? I'd like them to get attention from the site admins because there was absolutely a mass famine in Ukraine after WWI and we need to tamp down on that kind of dangerous denialism if it's here on SA

Really, do you agree that it's an internationally recognized genocide of Ukrainians, due to the Soviet state actively not providing relief to the affected areas, mostly populated by minorities like Ukrainians and Kazakhs?

Did I read you right, you think the Holodomor, which happened in 1930, was caused by WW1, which ended in ~1918 and the Russian civil war with the occupation of Ukraine ending in ~1922?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who the hell is talking about the Holodomor here besides you?

Personally, I would like to debate and discuss things in the Debate and Discussion forum. I don't think telling (or at the least, implying) that other users should go somewhere else is helpful for fostering a community where people feel empowered to share and discuss opinions on things.

Are there any other topics you feel like you are unable to discuss besides that NATO caused Russia to invade the countries around it? DnD frequently tells racists, conspiracy theorists, genocide deniers to gently caress off so some topics are absolutely not untouchable

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Turgid Flagella posted:

Bro I literally typed the words

Do you think it's a genocide as recognized internationally?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Fritz the Horse posted:

please post about D&D moderation and avoid slapfights with other users.

the Holodomor thread is in CSPAM, it has fuckall to do with the topic of this thread, which is D&D moderation.

I was trying to illustrate that cincis modding of the Ukraine thread is great (I don't follow the ai threads) by the fact that the complaints are mostly a guy with a forever grudge about a pet topic and a genocide denier. I think having less weird people with monstrous opinions is a good way to encourage more normal, knowledgeable people to post here

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

One person's facts being another person's bad faith genocide denial is an apt way to sum up D&D. It's a bad sub because posting basic factual information will get you marked as arguing in bad faith if it's a contributing topic.

One person's facts is that an event in 1930 was caused by WW1, that ended about a decade earlier, and not the "expropriating food and grain" part. The problem is that there are other places for people into alternative facts, but they feel entitled to post here and being taken seriously for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

You can't have a space for academic discussion if you're also going to argue that legitimate academic discussions are alternative facts. D&D wants to pretend it's for academic debate and discussion while often having no idea what experts in those fields are talking about. The idea that the Holodomor was or was not an intentional genocide is still up for academic debate and saying that anyone who disagrees is a genocide denier and acting like it's on the same level as Holocaust denial is creating a space that stifles academic discussion while arguing that it isn't.

The person arguing that the holodomor was a consequence of the destruction of WW1, events separated by a decade, is not an academic. They are not anywhere near knowledgeable on the topic, they are simply repeating talking points and no knowledgeable person, let alone an academic, is going to waste time on debating them. There are legitimate high-end debates going on about the technical definitions, but the person who can't be bothered to learn the most basic things about the topic is not a part of that, they are simply denying an internationally recognized genocide on the internet. This behavior stifles discussion because intelligent people like to debate other intelligent people, or to educate people who are open to find out new things in a friendly manner -- why would someone use their time on "stalin did nothing wrong SHITLIB"?

Somaen fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 27, 2023