Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

silence_kit posted:

Pretty obvious example: if you read USPol, it is loaded with low content rants and posts about how Republicans, rich people, corporations are evil, and so on. The rants aren't really made against any particular thing someone has said, are often loaded with exaggerations and falsehoods, etc. No one enforces the forum rules here because huge numbers of posters in USPol use the thread as an outlet to vent about how much they hate The Bad Men.

HOWEVER:

If you were to direct a similar style of post towards a thread consensus opinion, belief, sacred cow, etc. you would be met with swift justice.

Do you have some specific examples of this? For me personally, I have been trying over the last ~6 months to do the bulk of moderating via posting in threads and not probes. I think I still have less than 10 probes in the last year.

I also usually give everyone a pass on their first white noise or minor rule violations in USCE when discussing an ongoing event to keep conversation flowing without disrupting everything because of a single joke post or white noise post. I wish more people differing views would post and I generally try to encourage that by explicitly not probating based on ideology and rather based on arguments. The few people i have probed are generally people I agree with on 99% of issues.

If there are some examples that you think are egregious where I haven't been vying to that standard, then please let me know. It would definitely be useful to me both personally and to see examples of the stuff that caused your perception.

The posts you cited below are mostly just examples of people not being punished for minor questions or the occasional white noise post. Part of the goal was to give a little bit of breathing room on developing/current events for everyone. Do you have any examples where a conservative view was punished just for being a conservative view? That is something I would consider a problem and would want to take a look at. Breathing room for breaking and ongoing event discussion should apply to everyone.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

As one of the few right-leaning posters here, I feel this problem is better than I ever remember it being. Obviously you shouldn’t go out of your way to poke the beehive, but I feel like I have leeway to make unpopular points without waiting for the other shoe to drop. Mod activism seems to be at an all time low, and I want to say I appreciate that.

I honestly think leftists used to have a makeshift alliance with liberals here when there was a stronger right wing or libertarian presence, and now that everyone else left, they’ve become the minority. It’s not perfect, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

One suggestion, especially for threads where mods/IKs participate, there should be a clear “I’m wearing my mod hat” delineation from regular posts. Honestly I feel like bolding those posts would be helpful as well, since they’d call attention to a single “move on from this topic” post if someone’s kinda skimming a busy thread.

The other suggestion is probably USCE-specific, but people tend to take a developing incident and fill in the unknowns in a way that supports their own worldview. At best this doesn’t set the table for a real discussion, and at worst it’s just a mix of wish fulfillment and fan fiction. I’d love to see that kind of knee-jerk speculation curtailed.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been trying to allow for this sort of thing, so it is good to see someone noticing.

As for the last paragraph, I think you're right and that it could be toned down a little. But, some people speculating how an event will unfold or what impact it will have isn't necessarily a bad thing. It usually helps when someone gives their assumptions and others can critique it. I try to go out of my way to give context and critique posts that I agree with, but may have been made with some incorrect assumptions in mind because A) I want everyone to be living in the same reality when it comes to facts and B) It helps sharpen everyone's arguments and challenges their assumptions.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It should be completely fine to have casual discourse in D&D.

I think USCE is generally very good for casual discourse. There are frequent effort posts and posts by subject matter experts, but the bulk of posts are just average people asking questions and discussing what is going on. There's almost no punishments for minor rule violations. Casual discourse if going to be different for everyone and I don't think just responding "lol" or empty quoting is really discourse, but you can have a discussion without being a subject matter expert or writing a 10,000 word essay. I'd encourage you to try posting and see if it fits your definition.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The culture difference between d&d , cspam and gbs was as follows.

Gbs is for mainstream opinion and low effort poo poo posting.

Cspam is for non mainstream low effort poo poo posting

D&D (of the past) was where minimal effort and poo poo posting from all viewpoints was allowed. The unofficial rule was being a dick was fine if it was funny.

Now D&D is for low effort serious posting of a specific range of liberal ideology only, no funny allowed.

Are there any recent examples you can think of where someone was banned for effort posting, posting outside of a specific range of liberal ideology, or being funny? I don't follow every thread in D&D, but I can't think of a single one that I do where that is constantly happening.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Turgid Flagella posted:

Most of us to the left of the democrat party are well aware of the dangers of being such; we know what the feds did to X and Dr. King :)

Posting in the "Donald Trump piss tape" thread on SA is our "I Have a Dream" speech.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Best Friends posted:

My take is, bitterness to outright toxicity is generally the norm here, and it’s only in the visible spectrum of light when it appears in someone with a different set of politics.

This doesn't seem like an accurate statement to the threads I read and I don't think anyone else has gone that far.

You said you stopped posting almost two years ago, are you basing this perception on that? Or have you been reading, but not posting, for the last two years and it is a more current problem? Are there any threads you think are examples of constant outright toxicity right now you could point to?