Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'll echo the opinion that the Ukraine thread benefits from stricter moderation as someone who is interested in reading and learning about the facts of the situation without having to pore over dozens of pages of slapfights, memes, and bad faith arguments. It's a major historical event in our world right now that is having far-reaching implications on several aspects of our lives and I find it valuable to be able to have a distillation of the news and ongoing conflict in a place that also has varying viewpoints in the discussion. There are plenty of other places to shitpost.

I feel similarly about the ChatGPT thread but for a different reason. I have very little familiarity with the field, but even in my everyday life I encounter people who speak authoritatively about either the imminent existential danger of AI or the fact that it will imminently deliver us to luxury gay space communism. These are extreme examples but the point is that many people present themselves as experts about this when they really shouldn't be. This has the effect of muddying the waters when trying to follow along and understand an actual thoughtful conversation about the state of AI today and where it is going. I think it is useful having a forum where subject matter experts can feel like they can engage in conversations without being shouted down by people arguing from feelings rather than knowledge.

This isn't to say that D&D should be a humorless void where only experts are allowed to ask questions or give opinions, but I think that the rules that have been implemented have had a positive effect on my reading experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU