Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

2. Long videos

Same as the above basically, but then there's an extra wrinkle of people doing “look at what my YouTuber did” and “debate my YouTuber” posts, which aren't really adding anything to any conversation framed specifically like that.

Furthermore, not as a rule, but more of as a style guide for the thread, I will also ask of posters to focus on making their own arguments. What this means for bolding vs quotes of walls of text conversation is that I am firmly against posting the wall as is, and bolding the more requisite parts, and that I would like quotes usage to become more articulated, e.g., when you're relaying some precise language or figures, or something else not really practical for being summarized. For everything else, I would like posters' own words to become the load-bearing form factor for delivering one's arguments to the thread.

I understand where you're coming from, and it would be nice if every post was made with the intent of sharpening one's own debating skills, but on a very basic level, I view the thread as a hub for noteworthy news articles and expert analysis. If that's being commented on by posters with relevant experience, it's a bonus, but I don't want to see that as a pre-condition for posting.

I'm worried you're putting me in a dilemma where we can no longer post links to things other people might find equally interesting, without also having to formulate some commentary of my own, that may well fall short of being insightful due to my own lack of expertise and/or editorial summarizing skills. I might achieve something presentable, if I take the time to sum up my thoughts, mull over them, type them out, edit and re-edit, etc. It might also produce some unreadable mess, or just simply be pointless and uninformative. If you expect commentary or arguments from everyone, no matter how little they know of the subject matter, that's not necessarily likely to raise the quality of the debate overall.

I absolutely wouldn't want to miss something significant that some poster read or heard, but didn't link because they didn't also have the time for high-effort personal commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The end goal of which is that every link/article/video posted in the thread is presented so that it is reasonably obvious 1) what is it about, 2) why did you find interesting/worth sharing, 3) who is it for, and 4) what does it have to do with the current affairs of the war.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I've made a bunch of posts with links to various articles or videos across the different Ukraine threads that probably fall short of these goals, but this gives me some structure for the future.