Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I understand the desire to not have interforum wars, and I agree, but there needs to be a some tolerance for non drive by poo poo posting. If someone is discussing with even the most basic effort but also being a dick, that should be fine. Some of the best discussions on this site have come from two complete assholes going at each other for twenty pages.

The end product of the interforum brigading was that 90% of the drive by posting was exasperating poo poo. I also like when people are being a dick while arguing well — but that's not what you got. The ratios were really poor specifically because of the incentives involved.

i would have appreciated it if the slapfight threads and valve release stuff could have worked to give that kind of environment a space to do that kind of poo poo at all, but every time they got tried it was ... well, it was something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Most of what's taking place here has been making me feel more confident about an earlier appraisal I had of the D&D Ukraine thread

It had four strikes going against it from the beginning

1. It is an emotionally charged topic about a grim situation producing extraordinary misery, and provokes lots of anxiety
2. It is an irregular high-volume topic, sometimes with extraordinary bouts of news creating a flood of activity, sometimes with stale periods that drive people to inane back and forth or clear topic drift
3. It is an ideologically charged topic with a mostly unambiguously lopsided moral analysis
4. Because of some legacy neglect entirely out of scope of either the thread or D&D as a subforum, the topic was like a lightning rod to entire groups of unbelievably lovely posters that would work themselves with brigade bait and eventually tide over into waves of impulsive and inexhaustable apologia and war crimes denial and other ... extremely fun garbage.

any one of the four makes a thread harder to navigate and usually requires that you err on the side of caution in repeatedly containing posting that might have been entirely fine in different contexts but could easily become a shitfest for this particular subject matter

outside of D&D, ukraine threads became a sitewide intervention issue with apologies and a recognition that things had to change drastically to even permit other communities to be allowed to have a thread discussing it

so I would say that the "moderation seems excessively strict" was a practical guarantee in any situation in which the outcome we're discussing isn't "thread closed and locked for being a complete disaster"