Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've stopped participating in D&D because the moderation has become increasingly difficult to understand, and it is not clear what will catch a probe and what won't. Someone being cross but not disagreeing with anyone will get a pass and others in disagreement with even a smidge of attitude gets harshly punished.

There will always be a bias where posters who hold the thread majority opinion will be treated with leniency, and posters who hold a minority opinion will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

It is unreasonable to expect fair enforcement given human psychology, the nature of SA forums moderation & the post reporting system, where the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Somaen posted:

It would be great to reference some observable examples of that happening, because there is a repeated pattern of some posters who love to be giant assholes to others with insults and getting probated for it als announcing in every other post about how they are being silenced for their dissenting opinions and they feel unwelcome

Pretty obvious example: if you read USPol, it is loaded with low content rants and posts about how Republicans, rich people, corporations are evil, and so on. The rants aren't really made against any particular thing someone has said, are often loaded with exaggerations and falsehoods, etc. No one enforces the forum rules here because huge numbers of posters in USPol use the thread as an outlet to vent about how much they hate The Bad Men.

HOWEVER:

If you were to direct a similar style of post towards a thread consensus opinion, belief, sacred cow, etc. you would be met with swift justice.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yes, agreed. It is a consequence of the majority opinions in the thread and the nature of SA forums moderation and the post reporting system.

Personally I’m not a fan of the post reporting system. I don’t like what it has done to SA and choose not to use it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

socialsecurity posted:

This whole conversation happens every time there is a feedback thread but there is never any examples shown, makes it hard to believe/have any real change.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020995&userid=155796

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020995&userid=220511

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020995&userid=101945

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020995&userid=115386

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020995&userid=41629

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020995&userid=125208

edit: Not trying to sic the mods on these posters. This kind of posting is what the people want. Who am I and/or the mods to be at odds with that?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

socialsecurity posted:

If it was about ideology wouldn't they be probed 99% of the time?

The point is that in Heck Yes! Loam!'s ideal world, they would be getting probed WAY MORE often, instead of rarely or not at all. A common mode of operation for the posters I quoted in USCE is to just rant about Republicans/corporations/billionaires/etc.

My first post in this thread was a response to below post:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've stopped participating in D&D because the moderation has become increasingly difficult to understand, and it is not clear what will catch a probe and what won't. Someone being cross but not disagreeing with anyone will get a pass and others in disagreement with even a smidge of attitude gets harshly punished.

See my response to Heck Yes! Loam!:

silence_kit posted:

There will always be a bias where posters who hold the thread majority opinion will be treated with leniency, and posters who hold a minority opinion will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

It is unreasonable to expect fair enforcement given human psychology, the nature of SA forums moderation & the post reporting system, where the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Pretty much yeah. There's a big rulebook plus a bunch of unwritten "vibes" rules (see above CZS bolding some anodyne little sentence in a big thoughtful post because it said something like "this theory you guys love to hate" which is apparently a pet peeve of theirs), so there's a lot of enforcement but simultaneously a lot of rulebreaking ignored, and that's a fertile ground for unintentional bias. People naturally look harder for fallacies in arguments they disagree with vor arguments that make them angry.

I don't think anyone claimed that there are lepers colony entries that say "not liberal enough", that's not how bias manifests. I know this, you know this. Although allowing trolling that mods agree with is close to that, if I probe someone for trolling but only because I disagree with them, while not probing people I agree with, what is the probation really for.

What you're doing right now is a good example of what makes this forum so tedious to post in though lol so thank you for providing an example of that.

It is unreasonable to expect fair moderation in D&D, for all of the reasons you have just listed.

If you post a minority opinion on this message board, you should post with the expectation that someone WILL tattle on you to the moderation staff, and that the moderation staff WILL prosecute you to the full extent of the law.