Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
For what it's worth, I've stepped into a more background role as an admin and mostly won't be involved in day-to-day D&D moderation stuff.

Koos is still overseeing D&D mods, if you have questions he's your first stop. If that doesn't resolve issues, you're always welcome to PM myself or another admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
please post about D&D moderation and avoid slapfights with other users.

the Holodomor thread is in CSPAM, it has fuckall to do with the topic of this thread, which is D&D moderation.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Alright, so CZS is firm in the position that DnD mods don't need to follow the forum's own rules (namely, assuming good faith). Could I get some input from other mods about this?

that's correct. for example, if a mod thinks someone is trolling they do not in fact need to assume the troll is posting in good faith. it's rather cynical and not a good thing to assume everyone is posting in bad faith but I haven't seen anyone doing that.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
this is a D&D feedback thread, please post about D&D moderation and not slapfights with other posters.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
one thing that's often lost in discussions about what D&D is vs. what it should be is that it is a very international userbase

you don't hear much from the regional threads because they're mostly chill doing their own thing, it's US politics that both demands and results in the most moderation. but, for example, the UKMT gets a similar number of posts per day to US CE. by comparison, CSPAM is more US-centric.

edit: D&D also, in my experience, has a lot of users that sort of come-and-go. every time there's a major current event (like a war in Ukraine) or a big election, the subforum gets a surge of activity. GBS and CSPAM do too, but it's far larger in D&D. for the ~month or so after the invasion of Ukraine last year, D&D had more than 1,000 people viewing and CSPAM was at like 700. then it died back down to our more typical 200-300. some of those users stuck around, most didn't.

I am very skeptical of the idea that D&D readership is shrinking in any meaningful way, at least in the time I've been a mod and paying attention. it's about the same as it always has been, it just shifts over time.

I think part of this is also that D&D isn't an entire "ecosystem" like CSPAM is -- CSPAM has its own video game thread, its own parenting thread, etc. The D&D community is much looser, there's less socializing.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
That's my big-picture take: D&D is very international and it's also a "go-to" information source for many goons that don't read it regularly but drop by when there are major events or US elections. Both of those things are worth keeping in mind when thinking about the direction of the forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I don't feel like actually counting and I don't think being that specific is really helpful, but just glancing down the (maybe a few months out of date) forum and thread-ban list:

Staluigi posted:

what percentage of posters who copped a forumban in D&D are now permad or inactive after ban
Most, maybe two-thirds or so of forum-banned posters went on to get perma'd or are inactive under that username after a ban.

quote:

what percentage of posters who copped at least one threadban in D&D are the same
The opposite. Most posters who are threadbanned in D&D remain active elsewhere on the forums.