Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023
Joe Biden raped Tara Reade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023
Ukrainian nazis are still nazis

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Post on your main, LALD.

Lib and let died.

ETA: why would I post on LALD? It was made very clear by the last pre-bam probation on my rap sheet that my specific expertise as part of the Dem fundraising machine isn't as recognized as the credentials of other posters just because I'm a cranky, cantankerous rear end in a top hat.

Turgid Flagella fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 26, 2023

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

I've been very open about working in their campaign and fundraising database - to the point that I've already had the conversation with my bosses about internet psychos trying to doxx me and get me fired (sadly a conversation I've had to have with every boss I've had since my first Twitter dox in the early COVID days). I've undone AOC staffer gently caress-ups so she doesn't eat another (hefty) FEC-related fee, I've been on intimate Zoom calls with Representative Presley personally thanking my team for saving them from reporting nightmares, hell I could tell you more about how independent senators will behave in voting patterns based on information that could cost my job if I spoke it into existence.

But, you know, I'm just cranky LaLD from C-SPAM so anything and everything I say is based in grudge politics or informed strictly by Russian disinformation or whatever the line is these days.

E: but after catching 6 and then a ban for talking about my own loving post in another thread tells me all there is to know - you'll bend and twist the rules to punish or favor whoever, whenever.

Turgid Flagella fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 26, 2023

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

At this juncture, one of the actions needed is to actively re-solicit the groups of educated users that were driven out of the forum over the past 6 or so years.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I strongly agree with this.

That's 3 'ayes' for clemency for experts - the admins can email me when they've rolled back the ban on my main :)

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023
Maybe it's time for d&d to become "d" & "d" - consolidate all threads down to one of two thread tags ("debate" and "discuss") respectively; using the Ukraine thread as an example one thread can be for lively, scholarly debate on the merits of arming Nazis to own The Other Empire and one can be a feel-good, vibes only thread to discuss and report on the ongoing Azov rebellion against That Other Empire

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Somaen posted:

There are places you can discuss how actually, NATO provoked Russia into invading and actually, the holodomor is a made up conspiracy to make the soviets look bad that are more appropriate and you would are very welcome to post there, why do you need to import that to DnD

Sorry, friend, but the Holodomor absolutely happened.

Can you link me any of those threads for discussing how it never happened? I'd like them to get attention from the site admins because there was absolutely a mass famine in Ukraine after WWI and we need to tamp down on that kind of dangerous denialism if it's here on SA

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

The above posts from GJB about not enforcing the rules, followed immediately by the collection of knives out for the most active moderator, nicely demonstrates the “inconsistent moderation is weaponized against moderation” thesis I mentioned before.

If the mods hit buttons as hard as you're crying for them to, you'd be spending more time on probation for backseat modding than you currently do legitimizing US state department propaganda.

Just something to ponder!

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People who would use, e.g., the topic of NATO history to mine SYQs

Have you tried connecting with a BetterHelp.com app-based therapist to talk through your persecution complex with? I thought this thread wasn't supposed to be about intra-forum grudges?

Additionally, are you doubting the accuracy with which issues of NATO history, US postwar colonialism and anti-Communist (which has become synonymous with anti-Russian) activity, or do you just not care to see it at all? This is probably an important distinction to make - if I'm going to go digging through hundreds of pages of The Jakarta Method for a relevant passage, it'd be nice to know the effort won't go towards being accused of "mining for SYQs" before I put in the actual effort to show that all of this is just an extension of the US's desire to be the monopolar superpower while nominally communist-aligned governments that were left economically teetering on the edge because unlike the US they'd been entrenched in the actual war for years rather than showing up at the end to drop nukes on civilian cities and take some concentration camps selfies at camps already liberated by Soviet forces

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Somaen posted:

Really, do you agree that it's an internationally recognized genocide of Ukrainians, due to the Soviet state actively not providing relief to the affected areas, mostly populated by minorities like Ukrainians and Kazakhs?

Did I read you right, you think the Holodomor, which happened in 1930, was caused by WW1, which ended in ~1918 and the Russian civil war with the occupation of Ukraine ending in ~1922?

Are there any other topics you feel like you are unable to discuss besides that NATO caused Russia to invade the countries around it? DnD frequently tells racists, conspiracy theorists, genocide deniers to gently caress off so some topics are absolutely not untouchable

Bro I literally typed the words

Turgid Flagella posted:

the Holodomor absolutely happened.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Fritz the Horse posted:

the Holodomor thread is in CSPAM, it has fuckall to do with the topic of this thread, which is D&D moderation.

It's in the gas chamber, actually.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Your current thread is literally under no restrictions, as I've mentioned earlier, and there's nothing I can do to make it even “freer”.

gurragadon posted:

It would be freer without an ever-present threat of mod "embarrassment" ending it. Maybe there is nothing you can do, but you can choose to say threads aren't an embarrassment to you if there is some kind of mod vote. Not because it doesn't embarrass you, but because you agree it's a dumb reason to shut down discussion.

If I might make a suggestion - maybe gurragadon should be a thread IK (presuming they're willing?) For the ChatGPT thread? This way, an aggro mod would only have to come in and do a bombing run should the IK fail to keep the thread relevant and meaningful.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Somaen posted:

The person arguing that the holodomor was a consequence of the destruction of WW1, events separated by a decade, is not an academic. They are not anywhere near knowledgeable on the topic, they are simply repeating talking points and no knowledgeable person, let alone an academic, is going to waste time on debating them. There are legitimate high-end debates going on about the technical definitions, but the person who can't be bothered to learn the most basic things about the topic is not a part of that, they are simply denying an internationally recognized genocide on the internet. This behavior stifles discussion because intelligent people like to debate other intelligent people, or to educate people who are open to find out new things in a friendly manner -- why would someone use their time on "stalin did nothing wrong SHITLIB"?

Getting incredibly twisted over the when and not the salient argument of "was it malice or mismanagement" is just...incredibly on brand for this kind of discussion. You're using the fact that I got a largely immaterial detail wrong to completely discount that there is still academic debate on malice or mismanagement and get an extra dig in by claiming (by innuendo) that I'm too stupid to have the discussion.

This is more stifling to any "academic" discussion that might occur because nobody wants to continue talking to someone that insults them!

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think DV getting a chance to try out their vision would be a net good either way it shakes out. Either it works out and D&D becomes a place where you're more able to learn because we have experts here who can keep things in reality or it fails and we close the book on a thing people have wanted to try for a long time. They would be a good mod.

I agree here too, because I think if nothing else, it would help DV understand the extent of the actual labor he's expecting to be done by volunteer janitors. His constant aggrieved tone about how the moderators "refuse" to enforce the rules seems to give way to the conclusion that he thinks moderating a forum of this size, of this activity, with such deeply held convictions is something one can do with a minimal amount of time and effort investment, so let's see how he'd do it. Make him Koos for a month (with the exception of a forum ban simulating a :10bux: ban so as to make reversals after the 30 day period easier to implement) and see how it shakes out. Maybe he proves that all you need is 15 minutes with a laptop a day to make D&D a perfect intellectual saloon, maybe he cracks under the pressure of what he's asking others to do. Either way, it's a resolution to the arc.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

fez_machine posted:

but again there's a whole range of places on this website that do this?

Why does D&D specifically have to be that place?

'Debate' generally implies the presence of more than one opinion being presented - what it sounds like the most terminally academia-brained posters want is a strict form of discussion that only recognizes the validity of what can be validated through the accepted thoughtschools of "liberal" capitalist doctrine, elementary, high school, and college curriculum pumped out of privately-held textbook companies with a stake in upkeeping the capitalist order.

There are never going to be studies that meet whatever rigorous criteria these complainants would expect because the closest you could study is polling public perception on whether or not the gross accumulation and hoarding of housing is amoral but you can find plenty of rent-seeking apologia in academia to bury the moral argument in.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

fez_machine posted:

why not just post in CSPAM about this stuff?

Why D&D?

Why have D&D at all, then?

BFC can handle all the discussions related to macro- and micro-economic policy, GiP can handle all the discussions about foreign policy, LAN can handle all the discussions about regional politics, why not just post in those forums about those things?

The purpose of making these opposing arguments in public isn't for the benefit of the one arguing the position - it's to expose someone who might not visit cspam at all to the ideas of materialism or class consciousness where they otherwise may not be exposed to it all.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Just because people don't want to debate your frankly unhinged opinions doesn't mean they are "terminally academia-brained" — whatever the gently caress that means.

Can you expand a bit on what about the belief that the existence of shelter as a commodity reserved for the privileged that can afford it conforms to the definition of "unhinged?"

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Pander posted:

I cannot for the life of me understand why sane people choose to leave the site rather than deal with this kind of argument.

Ah yes, the absolute abuse of being exposed to the idea that landlords are parasites

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Turgid Flagella posted:

Ah yes, the absolute abuse of being exposed to the idea that landlords are parasites

Actually, if you had some basic loving biological literacy you'd realize how ridiculous this comparison is landlords - a title held by actual people - are mammalian in nature and categorically cannot be considered parasites :smug:

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Aegis posted:

Why don't you start a thread about it, rather than continue to derail the feedback thread?

Because I'm only using that as one example of something I've talked about over and over again, a school of thought that Neil Postman describes far more eloquently than I could:

quote:

In this way, social researchers can see themselves, and can be seen, as scientists, researchers without bias or values, unburdened by mere opinion. In this way, social policies can be claimed to rest on objectively determined facts. In Technopoly, it is not enough to argue that the segregation of blacks and whites in schools is immoral, and it is useless to offer Black Boy or Invisible Man or The Fire Next Time as proof. The courts must be shown that standardized academic and psychological tests reveal that blacks do less well than whites and feel demeaned when segregation exists. In Technopoly, it is not enough to say it is immoral and degrading to allow people to be homeless. You cannot get anywhere by asking a judge, a politician, or a bureaucrat to read Les Misérables or Nana or, indeed, the New Testament. You must show that statistics have produced data revealing the homeless to be unhappy and to be a drain on the economy. Neither Dostoevsky nor Freud, Dickens nor Weber, Twain nor Marx, is now a dispenser of legitimate knowledge. They are interesting; they are “worth reading”; they are artifacts of our past. But as for “truth,” we must turn to “science.”

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No, someone purchased an avatar that was a pic him in real life from his job or something. The culprit was never identified because the avatar purchase system is anonymous.

They were able to confirm I didn't buy it for myself to own my posting enemies, though!

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also very funny for posters loudly wondering " why did all the experts leave!?" and several experts respond "You. We left because of you".

:munch:

Yeah, Rigel ultimately is responsible for making me feel unwelcome to share my perspective on Dem politics and priorities as a worker within their fundraising apparatus, and Koos and Fluff daddy drove the point home. Some experts are clearly more equal than others!

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Taerkar posted:

Bait left out to make the others think it's safe, obviously.

Most of us to the left of the democrat party are well aware of the dangers of being such; we know what the feds did to X and Dr. King :)

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Posting in the "Donald Trump piss tape" thread on SA is our "I Have a Dream" speech.

Argumentum ad absurdum. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Deteriorata posted:

The problem is that "You got probated for being an condescending rear end in a top hat" gets translated to "I got probated for being an academic."

The perceived persecution then is used to justify further condescending behavior.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Jarmak posted:

Those aren't accusations of bad faith.

quote:

you are promoting a conspiracy theory

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Jarmak posted:

That's not what bad faith means.

It absolutely is.

The author of the posts being quoted could have simply said that the person they are responding to has fallen for a widespread conspiracy theory - instead DV (who has been spoken to about his specific linguistic choices being used to paint him as a victim of some sort of widespread, organized campaign of perfidious tankies) chose to accuse the poster of promoting the so-called conspiracy theory.

DV assumes malice instead of ignorance - this is textbook bad faith.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Jarmak posted:

There's nothing about the word "promoting" that implies the person doing the promoting doesn't believe what they are promoting or is acting with malice.

Words have connotations.

e: and "The Media Literacy Guy" knows this better than most.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Jarmak posted:

Yes they do, which is why I used the word implies.

There is nothing about the term promoting that implies that the one doing the promoting doesn't believe what they are promoting or is acting with malice. To promote something, in this context, is to bring attention/publicity to it. In the case of making a post about something on a message board "promoting" is about as dry and technically accurate as you can get.

And for context, the poster we're discussing was very notably rebuked by admins for choosing language that implies acts of malice from those who disagree with him. This is an important bit of context, because it's a pattern of behavior on the part of the poster in question. This was an issue that was brought up 2 or 3 feedback cycles ago, and while the most egregious hyperbolic language has largely tamped down, the poster in question is still very clearly assuming malice vs ignorance whenever a poster disagrees with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Jarmak posted:

Degree of activity has absolutely nothing to do with level of good faith. Activists very actively promote their causes, because they believe in them.

There's no context which turns "promoting" into a word that implies acts of malice. If anything it is a word choice to goes out of it's way to avoid carrying an implicit judgement of malice or lack thereof.

Which is where I think your real issue is, DV pedantically chose words that allow him to avoid having to implicitly recognize that the post was made in good faith by choosing words that carry no connotation one way or another. There's no rules that say a poster has to expressly recognize that you're posting in good faith, and this is trying to twist words into something they don't mean to get the mods to force such a recognition. DV is allowed to not believe the post is in good faith, he's allowed to choose language that doesn't expressly endorse the post was made in good faith, what he isn't allowed to do is accuse the post of being in bad faith.

Yes, his advanced skill with language is exactly what allows him to get away with posting like a condescending rear end in a top hat with impunity.