Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the big issues is that rational discourse with divergent views in the politcal sphere has completely and utterly lost their loving minds in the last 6 years - both left and right but most especially the right. D&D being a more narrow set of sane or at worst vagely sane politcal views is an unfortunate side effect

Unfortunately that has only resulted in smaller and smaller differences becoming the source of vitriol and conflict between posters.

Main Paineframe posted:

Most of the time, when someone tries to do "funny" shitposting in D&D, they're either regurgitating tired jokes they saw on @lib_destroyer_420's Twitter feed, or belting out incomprehensible in-jokes that no one will understand unless they've been reading a specific politics thread consistently for at least three years.

That said, it's not like telling jokes is completely verboten in D&D, you just have to tack them onto a post that's otherwise worth reading.

And what MP is talking about here is a good part of the reason why I personally stopped checking in on D&D the past few years after being semi-active here for almost two decades. Seeing a post like one of the ones described above (or even just directly hostile and insulting) get quite a few bites before the probes came around made me less inclined to keep checking up on the thread. Even moreso when invariably there would be a bunch of new names pop up complaining about the initial probe but none of the others. Of course this almost always results in derails of multiple pages and increased aggression between many posters.

At this point I think if nothing else trying to litigate a probe in a thread, especially after the probe period is over, should not be tolerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wonder how you reconcile the purported moderation by popular vote with your continued ability to post in D&D.

Bait left out to make the others think it's safe, obviously.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Can you provide us with anonymous examples of some of the bad reports?