Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think what's been lost is a fuckton of smart left leaning posters who got sick of being punished constantly. It's happened over years and not necessarily the fault of Koos and his team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pay attention too much you're a weirdo and pay attention not enough and then you don't have any good examples for the every 3 month feedback thread. It's like how reporting is castigated in some circles but also leads to random delayed punishments and so biggest assholes abuse the system to apparently win.

The flip side of course is that certain posters think they are going to win if it weren't for those dastardly mods silencing them out of the thread but all they do is repeatedly make the same point over and over.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Turgid Flagella posted:

Joe Biden raped Tara Reade

And the moral implications this bears on his supporters cannot be discussed while the moral implications of conservative positions is the longstanding reason that they have been systematically excluded from participation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Post on your main, LALD.

Empty quoted.

I think things are potentially better under koos but the only way to be sure is to get more people participating again and this well maybe too poisoned.

The most basic issue is that it's still light discussion threads but the rules randomly slam flipped to debate rules whenever convenient for certain people who don't like hearing contrary arguments

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 26, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fez_machine posted:

There are many places that do have more casual discourse in D&D like the country threads, the chat thread (and maybe USCE? I don't know I don't read it).

Can you make a compelling argument why D&D needs to be a place like GBS or CSPAM? And why posting in those places is less preferable than D&D for casually discussing politics?

It's not actually unlike them though. It just narrows the allowed shitposting to a specific ideological range.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I would have just renamed the chat GPT thread

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think there are different expectations in other forums that don't work as well here.

It's a bad look for a D&D mod to give someone a week off for continuing to disagree with them even if the mod thinks the disagreement is in bad faith.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You were the only person that even bring up the holpdomor so getting mad that people in this thread aren't experts seems incredibly counterproductive

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is not a factual representation of the conversation. To quote myself from that thread:

“please create a new thread”

Just admitting to 5 rule violations. SMDH

Obviously moderators should be expected to uphold the rules, not break them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fez_machine posted:

why not just post in CSPAM about this stuff?

Why D&D?

Because they already know it and because it's a serious, well written argument that has no place there.

Rosalind posted:

See this is exactly it! This post perfectly encapsulates why I don't post here any more.

It calls me names, it interprets what I posted (which was basically just "I'd post here more if people are nicer") in the most bad faith way possible (suggesting I only want people to post adhering to some sort of corporate capitalist orthodoxy), and suggests that I made some sort of outrageous request (that people post with a level of academic study rigor).

And it's written so perfectly too for plausible deniability because I'm not mentioned by name of course. You can't call me "terminally academia-brained" to my face because that would get you in trouble.

This is exactly why I don't put in D&D any more. Thank you for proving my point in a thread about feedback about why people don't post in D&D any more.

That post wasn't about you though

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 28, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Why is this a problem?

Doesn't matter, through your selective quotation you've effectively acknowledged the problem that is obviously more serious

fez_machine posted:

I honestly don't see much poo poo posting in D&D.

To prove my point there's the new AI thread with a mere 2 pages of posts in it, can you provide 2 examples of poo poo posting from that thread?

I can find at least three on this page two in this post

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah I don't see how the Ukraine thread would be better by someone reposting Russian Propaganda endlessly about how poor Russia was forced to invade Ukraine and wipe out their culture, the people looking to post it aren't doing so they can debate the merits of said propaganda or post evidence one way or another they want to yell at the libs, be a toxic rear end in a top hat then complain about how their viewpoint is being silenced when they get a 6er after breaking a dozen rules.

Man, it's weird how this only affects people on your team and your posts like this have never made any good poster leave.

Real weird.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You should come to the US pol.

The problem with explaining stuff slowly to people when they already know it is

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jarmak posted:

This is kind of a good microcosm of the issue. Someone walks in with a hot take from the gut that annoys people, get's asked to provide evidence/support, and instead we get pages of tedious poo poo like this. Tangential at best evidence, along with a hyperbolic misrepresentation of what evidence is actually being asked for/would be required to support the original positions, and a mish-mash of insulting misrepresentations of the counterarguments being made.

The next steps are a derail about how those misrepresentations are technically accurate if you ignore what words mean, the OP finally getting probated, and then the OP claiming it was because the original hot take wasn't liberal enough.

Demanding obsessive keeping track of posts like this is weird to make a condition of presenting an argument.

A lot like the point Turg is making

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

This is the post that started most of this argument and is a common complaint in these threads, there are many people claiming that having the minority opinion will get you probed. Yet no examples of that have been posted beyond a single post from Rigel that you are mad didn't get probed which doesn't really mean much of anything.

It seems like you are getting different parts of arguments mixed up, and this was already pointed out. Evidence of a different thing is being used to argue the different thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Even what is considered orthodox is only defined bybthe effect of past bad moderation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ah, the good kind of posting about posters

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Turgid Flagella posted:

Yes, his advanced skill with language is exactly what allows him to get away with posting like a condescending rear end in a top hat with impunity.

The exact D&D posting repeatedly decried itt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

I'd love to know what the rest of us have to tolerate anti-social behavior. There is absolutely no reason to ever tolerate people who are assholes to others.

:ironicat:

The essential problem is a bunch of posters conflating political opinions with assholery. You think you aren't just as big an rear end in a top hat as anyone else here?