Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Agreed with this, notably purging Cinci. They are not good at moderating. They are needlessly antagonistic and do not handle criticism well (at all, really). They are good at being in charge of messy poo poo the other mods don't want to deal with, which is why they're a mod. But if the ostensible purpose of a feedback thread is to solicit user ideas on how to improve DnD: remove cinci's star.

In the interests of giving feedback, I disagree. Cinci's approach has worked well in the D&D Ukraine thread and before that in the Eastern Europe thread. I especially appreciate this given how much of a drama trap discussion of the war in Ukraine has been on the other subforums.

Maybe it doesn't work so well elsewhere, but I personally haven't seen him be particularly of line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

The way they've handled the thread from becoming a drama trap is to forbid discussion of certain topics that are absolutely relevant to discussing the War that Cinci and most thread regulars don't want to read about. MikeC upthread, for example, mentioned how IR theory is verboten--I would figure academic discussions as to the causes of war would be germane to talking about a given war. There's a list of other, purportedly "boring" topics that are off-limits, including the "History of NATO, its relationship with the USSR and the ex-USSR states up until February 24, 2022." That topic isn't boring, it's just something cinci and some others don't want to talk about (I have my beliefs on why that is, but will refrain from elaborating here to keep this from being too much posting about posters). There's nothing left to debate or discuss in the thread, it's essentially an RSS of the war.

I also understand I'm impotently pissing in the wind on this. I'm just sore because not one, but two posters told me to die back when the war started over this post I made, both of whom received whopping 6ers for doing so. The mod responsible for those is no longer a DnD mod, thankfully, but the whole experience surrounding discussing the war in DnD has been pretty foul.

But as you mentioned, Aegis, the War thread is drama-free, even if it's a terrible space to actually discuss the War.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but I strongly disagree. The D&D Ukraine thread is generally quite active and has been kept very readable. I am not aware of anything stopping you from posting a new thread if you want to talk about things that are out-of-bounds.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

You can't have a space for academic discussion if you're also going to argue that legitimate academic discussions are alternative facts. D&D wants to pretend it's for academic debate and discussion while often having no idea what experts in those fields are talking about. The idea that the Holodomor was or was not an intentional genocide is still up for academic debate and saying that anyone who disagrees is a genocide denier and acting like it's on the same level as Holocaust denial is creating a space that stifles academic discussion while arguing that it isn't.

It seems to me that if someone actually wanted to have that academic discussion they could start a thread for it. I don't think the topic itself is verboten, just the attempts to shoehorn it into a thread where it is, at best, tangential.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

Turgid Flagella posted:

Ah yes, the absolute abuse of being exposed to the idea that landlords are parasites

Why don't you start a thread about it, rather than continue to derail the feedback thread?