Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The lack of concern trolling by folks who definitely don't support the ongoing attempted ethnic cleansing of Ukraine but can't stop talking about how Ukrainians are all Nazis and it's Nato's fault anyway should be viewed as a positive of Cinci's modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I think this is the gist of the issue with D&D's new moderation scheme under Koos: the Prime Directive, if you will, has been to try to minimize conflict and drama, even if it comes at the expense of everything else, including good discussions and overall thread activity. This is why so many threads in D&D are mere shadows of their former versions: mods have cracked down on anything and everything that can remotely result in a large number of reports they need to sift through and adjudicate. As a result, most posters have stopped participating, because what they want to talk about has been deemed off-limits (due to drama potential) and they don't want to get probated. The baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

This is a really good example of how optimizing policies to improve the metrics (i.e. reducing the number of reports) may not produce outcomes that are actually optimal.

Assuming good faith is part of D&D's rules (specifically, rule I.B.) , and mods should be required to follow them as well.

Assuming good faith is a rule for posters because it's the Mod's job to determine bad faith. The oft-stated "solution" for bad faith posting is to alert a mod/report the post and move on.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but that's the problem right. People I agree with are laying down some righteous truth, people I disagree with are making GBS threads up the discussion.

That's why the best strategy to avoid punishment on here is to disengage if your opinion is too unpopular because you'll have like 10 people trying to find minor infractions to report, PMing mods, running to QCS, etc. The easy way to clear the report queue is to remove the unpopular opinion right.

You asked for an example, I provided one. Koos agreed it broke the rules, no reason was given why the report was ignored. If you guys don't care about it, fine, I don't know what else you want me to do. I could spend the time finding the other ones I tried reporting when I was briefly doing that I guess but like what kind of sample size are you asking for.

Am I supposed to keep a spreadsheet of reported posts and actions taken on an internet comedy forum. Nobody is going to do that, because that's weird obsessive behavior and if I had that I'd be mocked for it.

And of course there were examples of Koos saying he let people troll when he thought it was funny, while there's a big rulebook for everyone else.

People notice, they're not going to keep grudgebooks of all the discrepancies in enforcement, they're just going to decide it's not worth it and make this place an even narrower chamber of thought than it already is. But maybe that's not a bad thing, certainly would be easier to mod.

This is kind of a good microcosm of the issue. Someone walks in with a hot take from the gut that annoys people, get's asked to provide evidence/support, and instead we get pages of tedious poo poo like this. Tangential at best evidence, along with a hyperbolic misrepresentation of what evidence is actually being asked for/would be required to support the original positions, and a mish-mash of insulting misrepresentations of the counterarguments being made.

The next steps are a derail about how those misrepresentations are technically accurate if you ignore what words mean, the OP finally getting probated, and then the OP claiming it was because the original hot take wasn't liberal enough.

Edit: When people talk about "effort" in D&D it's not about sourcing posts like a thesis. It's about putting in some effort to discuss the actual event in a factually correct way. It's not about having a bibliography, it's about taking the extra step of validating whatever random gut feeling you have, and being willing to back it up if someone challenges it. It's about wanting to have a discussion among reasonably informed people who have an interest in getting a deeper understanding of events, rather than arguing with the idiot at the bar with big opinions about everything and nothing to back them up.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 28, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Demanding obsessive keeping track of posts like this is weird to make a condition of presenting an argument.

A lot like the point Turg is making

That's not what was asked

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

If we're going to do this could you state succinctly
1) what evidence is actually being asked for, and
2) in your own words what do you think the "original positions" are

Evidence that people are getting unjustly probed for having left-leaning opinions, with the original position being the rules are unevenly applied.

Finding someone with a liberal position who didn't get a probe one time isn't evidence of anything. Your own position is that liberals are the overwhelming majority so of course if you find a probe that was missed it's most likely going to be a poster with a liberal opinion; all that is is evidence that the mods don't catch 100% of posts that deserve a probe.

If your complaint is that people drawing a lot of attention to themselves by loudly and abrasively pushing unpopular opinions are more likely to catch legitimate probes while people with more orthodox opinions are more likely to slip under the radar when they cross the line then yes, of course that's the case.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem is that liberals who post like assholes are given more leeway.

Fortunately I just remembered that I had a PM conversation with Koos about this, so here are some examples.

Strawmanning, accusation of bad faith.

Accusation of bad faith.

Accusation of bad faith.

Strawmanning, accusation of bad faith.

Accusation of bad faith and generally being a condescending rear end in a top hat.

All of these posts were reported. None of them were acted on. And this is just one conversation. Now maybe it's my bias speaking, but I don't think that accusing people of promoting conspiracy theories and "wanting news coverage to be shittier" is very conducive to a healthy debate environment.

Especially since the poster DV is responding to, celadon, appears to be one of the subject matter experts that DV has expressed interest in bringing back to D&D.

Those aren't accusations of bad faith. In fact several of them go into the poster's motivations for believing what they're arguing, which is an explicit recognition of good faith.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That's not what bad faith means.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Claiming that someone is operating under confirmation bias is neither an accusation of bad faith nor "posting about posters", though a couple of those posts flirt with the latter by digging a little too deep on the source of confirmation bias (that's not what was claimed though).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Turgid Flagella posted:

It absolutely is.

The author of the posts being quoted could have simply said that the person they are responding to has fallen for a widespread conspiracy theory - instead DV (who has been spoken to about his specific linguistic choices being used to paint him as a victim of some sort of widespread, organized campaign of perfidious tankies) chose to accuse the poster of promoting the so-called conspiracy theory.

DV assumes malice instead of ignorance - this is textbook bad faith.

There's nothing about the word "promoting" that implies the person doing the promoting doesn't believe what they are promoting or is acting with malice.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Turgid Flagella posted:

Words have connotations.

Yes they do, which is why I used the word implies.

There is nothing about the term promoting that implies that the one doing the promoting doesn't believe what they are promoting or is acting with malice. To promote something, in this context, is to bring attention/publicity to it. In the case of making a post about something on a message board "promoting" is about as dry and technically accurate as you can get.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Okay so what are you asking for because it sounds like a spreadsheet then, but you said that was ridiculous hyperbole so could you be specific what evidence you mean.

There's nothing about evidence that a poster was unjustly probed for having leftist opinions that sounds like a spreadsheet. Hell, you gave us an example of a post that skated by, why is the inverse suddenly "a spreadsheet"

VitalSigns posted:

Well kinda yeah. Opinions that I agree with are unremarkable, opinions that I disagree with are loud and abrasive.

Calling Trump and Kavanaugh rapists would be obnoxious and abrasive on a conservative forum, here it's unremarkable and flies under the radar. Vice versa for saying the same about Biden.

No, loud and abrasive descriptors of how something is being communicated, not what is being communicated.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

"Promoting" implies a high degree of activity to me. Maybe you don't see it the same way but I would suggest investigating your biases in this discussion about biases.

Degree of activity has absolutely nothing to do with level of good faith. Activists very actively promote their causes, because they believe in them.

Turgid Flagella posted:

And for context, the poster we're discussing was very notably rebuked by admins for choosing language that implies acts of malice from those who disagree with him. This is an important bit of context, because it's a pattern of behavior on the part of the poster in question. This was an issue that was brought up 2 or 3 feedback cycles ago, and while the most egregious hyperbolic language has largely tamped down, the poster in question is still very clearly assuming malice vs ignorance whenever a poster disagrees with them.

There's no context which turns "promoting" into a word that implies acts of malice. If anything it is a word choice to goes out of it's way to avoid carrying an implicit judgement of malice or lack thereof.

Which is where I think your real issue is, DV pedantically chose words that allow him to avoid having to implicitly recognize that the post was made in good faith by choosing words that carry no connotation one way or another. There's no rules that say a poster has to expressly recognize that you're posting in good faith, and this is trying to twist words into something they don't mean to get the mods to force such a recognition. DV is allowed to not believe the post is in good faith, he's allowed to choose language that doesn't expressly endorse the post was made in good faith, what he isn't allowed to do is accuse the post of being in bad faith.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Well that is the same thing. If you make a rule that you can't be condescending, and then you punish Democrats when they are being condescending, but not Republicans, that is still bias and has the same effect as punishing Democrats for their opinions, even if none of those probations are "unjust" because the Democrats really did break the rules.

What you'll end up with is Democrats who get fed up with being condescended to while being punished if they respond in kind, and they leave. If you're running a conservative forum for discussion of conservative ideas then maybe that's what you want and it's OK. If you're trying to run a politics discussion forum with a variety of opinions where people can debate and discuss their positions, then you're not going to meet that goal.

Well this is text so none of this is loud, and what's considered "abrasive" is subjective and is always going to be mediated by the audience.

If mods actually probated people for being abrasive about Republicans people would throw a fit. Thing is saying Republicans suck doesn't ruffle any feathers.

You were literally just asked for a converse example of what you had already provided an example of. If it would require a spreadsheet to show anything of use then that sort of implies the example you provided doesn't really show anything of use. This seems to be boiling down to the people you don't like aren't getting probed enough.

And yes, keeping your audience in mind is part of not being abrasive. So far we've discovered that drawing a lot of attention to yourself makes it less likely you will skate by when legitimately breaking the rules, and that saying insulting things about beliefs of people in the audience is more abrasive than saying insulting things about the beliefs of people who aren't present. This isn't some sort of failure of moderation, this is how interacting with humans works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

To continue on the "abrasiveness" topic. I have friends/family that carry opinions that shade more toward center-right, and if I want to express disagreement with an opinion I probably don't use the same sort of flippancy I might if I was talking to a group of purely like-minded people. It's not about having a dissenting opinion, it's about being a dick about it.