Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

This forum is a joyless stick-in-the-mud, and I like it that way. It's nice to have someplace on SA where I can go to read about an issue without the need to skim through pages of shitposting and empty quotes.

I came here to basically post this. I enjoy having a space to be more serious and really think about my and others posts and when I disagree can generally expect a response more than "ur dumb turn off your monitor". As much as I like to white noise poo poo post in other forums.

But at the same time I feel like sometimes the moderation is a bit heavy handed. If we're at a 10, I think we can crank it back to an 8 safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As I have suggested multiple times both to you, to other people in the gassed thread, and here - all you need to get me to ignore your thread is to name it more appropriately, e.g., “I want to talk about AI”. Do not name it after a specific, real-world thing, such as OpenAI ChatGPT or Google Bard, and the only reason I’ll have to read it then is if someone reports a post there, and I’m the mod clearing the queue at that moment.

I'm sorry but I feel this is an incredibly anal distinction. I'm a huge fan of weasel words but topics are living and breathing things and the margins are where discovery happens and my own personal views have been challenged. I have to agree with a general theme in that while I appreciate strict moderation, I do think there is too heavy-handed moderation. I suspect posters in threads would rather debate and discuss (even if the topic isn't completely on point and not going in circles) than someone getting a sixer, threadbanned, etc.

That being said I do appreciate cracking down on people who post in bad faith. Since the whole Ukraine war has taken off that's been on the rise and it's beyond tedious at this point. Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=230261#frompost530754006 Though this seems like an example of....not? I'd have to be explained to how it's a bad faith post.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 27, 2023