Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh man, goonspeed! i know there's been a few attempts at AoE and AoE2 that haven't gotten too far. one of my favourite games of all time, but so, so, so massive. i am shocked and terrified at the prospect of a Return to Rome expansion being released and destroying even more of my freetime. i love playing AoE2's campaigns.

a lot...

my top two most played steam games lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NewMars posted:

Interesting historical context! The scottish lost the battle of Falkirk, badly.

Actually the historical background to most of this campaign is pretty much on that level, later ones get... better (?) about it.

Anyway, better get A. outta the way.

Dang french.

there's a William Wallace campaign from the English's POV on one of the more recent DLCs. it is more... accurate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
C

Go with the Great Khan.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rody One Half posted:

if I may make a suggestion: what better followup to William Wallace could there be than doing the new Longshanks campaign?

:getin:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
La Hire's sword is not bloody enough...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah what is it... the Lancastrian phase? The lesser Shakespeare plays were written about this time. I am all about the early phases... Henry V and all that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
my knowledge of that period of history basically begins and ends with the two Henriads, haha.

but yeah, this portrayal of La Hire, at least, is the most accurate on in video games... i think? he appears in the Bladestorm games and that one absolute mad PSP SRPG...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah Gilles de Rais shows up in the absurd Jeanne d'Arc PSP game where La Hire is also an anthropomorphic lion and Jeanne herself gets magic Sailor Moon-esque transformation powers to battle the literal demons that have taken over the English leadership. He is one of the main characters and is portrayed as heroic throughout the game until (endgame spoilers) you defeat the final boss. The ultimate evil cannot actually be destroyed so one of the main characters has to contain their power in their own bodies, a la the ending of Diablo 1. Jeanne (who has survived being burnt alive at this point because her friend who looks like her was executed in her place) offers to be the one, but Gilles stops her, heroically insisting he take the burden instead. The game ends with everyone happy the Ultimate Evil and the English have been stopped. There is a scene where Gilles looks pained and someone asks if he'll be okay and he's all like, "Yeah, naw, I got this" and then the game just kinda ends.

I didn't know anything about de Rais at that point. I thought he was just the cool dragoon-type character of the game and I always used him because I liked characters with spears. After finishing the game I figured I would look him up because I didn't recall learning about him from, say, AoE2. Turns out he WAS based on a really person and... welp...

I have no idea who wrote Jeanne d'Arc for the PSP but it was a real wtf realization. Decent Final Fantasy Tactics clone but hooooooly poo poo the writing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
iirc Fastolf did not die at this battle irl. also #notmyfalstaff. Shakespeare's version will always trump the real life version for me

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this mission is a fun one. it sticks out in my mind a lot because i REALLY struggled with it as a kid. roll right thru now that i know what i am doing and have put in 100s of hours to aoe2 in general haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ive seen some people on forums theorizing/hoping that the Chinese would get a big DLC expansion of their own that retools and splits them into more discrete factions a la the Indian Dynasties expansion. the Indian Dynasties expansion whipped so i would be for that

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
was gonna vote for Gengis again but think i will be outvoted...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha id forgotten about that star wars reference. i can evem hear the voice clip in my head

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
aoe3 had a pretty sweet Japan campaign. i liked a lot of what aoe3 did actually... very different beast than aoe2... i still want more aoe2 campaigns

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rody One Half posted:

I believe the offensive version of this map is an achievement in definitive, though I haven't done it.

it is. bit of a slog though. never thought of trying it until i saw the achievement.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Khaaaaan!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Rattan Archers ftw.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
in campaigns i have on occasion spammed scouts and used them to draw enemy fire while i attack with my effective cavalry.

edit: oh wait i missed the archers bit in cavalry archers. yeah what jossar said

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
one time while playing this map i systematically destroyed every piece of the great wall. just because. it was... not worth my time, haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PizzaProwler posted:

When it comes to the Celtic tech tree, this image always springs to mind

Some of those unit upgrades look a little lackluster when you consider the supplemental techs they lose out on.

Super fun civ though. Their faster infantry is absolutely insane (along with the aforementioned strong siege).

lol i will always love aoe2 memes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

YaketySass posted:

I usually only attacked the enemy once I had researched almost everything and my army would just be a mix of all units available.

same. i always spent way too much tjme building the perfect city before building and military units too. the idea of attacking before the imperial age was no one that registered

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
El Cid!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fun fact: There is an achievement to beat this level without converting any villagers. It's tricky, and it needs a little bit of luck on the conversion speed, but it's doable.

this achievement was a pain in the rear end to get... i managed to get it on the end but it put me off od attempting many other achievements.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pachacuti

good campaign. nice replacement for the El Dorado one. i was pleasantly surprised to fond it in the DE.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
maaan i started up the Alaric campaign to start playing along with the LP but i relented and got Return of Rome instead. p fun so far but the pathfinding of units seems worse than base AoE2. my boneheaded swordsmen and legionaries keep letting other swordsmen walk by them and destroy my ballistas. i have never had this problem in ApE2 before... its been a dogs age since I played AoE1... is this just true to the OG gameplay?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also what the gently caress just port over all campaigns

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol recalibrating expectations then.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nostalgamus posted:

How do you "fiercely" roll your eyes?

i imagine it's a bit like Tyra Banks' smiling with your eyes but while also rolling them: https://youtu.be/IolPTBw6M9M

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mazerunner posted:

also one of the new missions from return of rome is a contender for hardest mission/achievement I think first pyrrhus mission

this one is super easy to cheese and i got it on my second try

Your allies don't surrender until you've destroyed the four stables on the right flank. There's enough stone in your starting area and about your allies bases that you can built fortifications around all allied town centres and fill them with composite bowmen and guard towers. surviving teal's centurion rush is the hardest part, but if you've knocked out their academies beforehand they don't rebuilt. from there it's just fending off a few packs of red's camel riders and you're good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh i am faffin about on standard. this achievement pops whatever difficulty you are on

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Technowolf posted:

Let's finish off the Americas with D. Pachacuti

yeah i enjoyed Pachacuti

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dracula was one of my least liked campaigns in the original version. just too kany rpg gimmicks dragged down the experience for me. i have been holding off playing the DE version for that reason. glad to hear it has been toned down. makes me want to give it a try now

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lmao i dont remember this happening to me but i guess add it to the complaints with the Draciula campaign haha

sorry Jossar i would be annoyed too but it is always fun to see the LPer struggle

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Prithviraj is a lot of fun and maybe we need a palette cleanser from Dracula...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
worse than being broken upon the wheel? or the brazen bull? or being drawn and quartered? or hanged to death via gibbet?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
B. Prithviraj

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i mean it makes sense considering Buddhism rejects the idea of a deity

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
B. Forgotten Battle Extravaganza

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh yeah this one. rough mission. satisfying to beat but those initial phases are rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

I'm afraid the only way to make that interesting and not another Pachacuti would be basically retreading the Aztec campaign.

there was a campaign in AoE3 that was a bit clever in this regard... had a Chinese treasure ship get lost at sea and wind up shipwrecked in North America. the caveat being their story was lost to history so whatever it could be somewhat ahistorical