Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lol, yeah I really enjoyed this mission, having multiple sides and alliances made it a lot of fun, although the territory capture thing was often wonky and I think I vaguely remember something weird with one of the towers remaining in the super strong mode even after the transition to the RTS phase

edit: on re-reading maybe they are supposed to stay super? Weird

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wasn't a fan of this one, the build up seems like the player is going to be the deciding factor between two warring alliances, and while that is technically what happens your allies are so passive they're basically non-entities

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I enjoy York, but it really needs some triggers to spice it up or at least the enemies hooting and hollering at you. Interestingly (to me) North and South Ireland are at war with each other, and also at war with an alliance of a couple english players. But you'd be forgiven for not noticing, especially because for whatever reason even on the hardest difficulty the AI's are very weak and their attacks are pretty rudimentary. I would guess its to keep the unit count low due to the vast size. Seems like a missed opportunity for some diplomatic skullduggery, or at least some shifting diplomatic stances. Say you knock out a couple English players, maybe the Irish ally together and start launching invasions, that sort of thing.

Also like everyone says, its really too big to be a fairly standard boom and burn mission

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

(On moderate) Allying with green on Bapheus can work pretty well; they're right on top of the byzantines and draw almost all their attention immediately, which also seems to attract yellow as well. Since cyan takes a long time to get rolling this makes defense fairly straightforward. They actually knocked out the second byzantine castle on their own in my recent replay. Maybe since any of the three can be your ally, they dont get the alliance lobotimization some scenarios use? Fun mission, the waves of free units and villagers keep things from getting too overwhelming

In my experience taking out orange is more trouble than its worth, they seem to have some berserk scripting that kicks in as you get close to their base. Also moderate can get nasty if you let it go on too long, you may experience the horrifying sound of yellow unloading four trebuchets into your blocking castle while your attention was elsewhere

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 13, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah that's an easy one, Red is more aggressive on moderate but you still have two big bases. A forward castle on greens doorstep will blunt them and a tower or two will cover your base from sea attack, then just start whittling down targets

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

C. Yodit be interested to see the takes on it

Jossar posted:

Honestly, I probably should have used more Cavaliers in this scenario, they're perfectly serviceable and would've helped tear things down faster, I just have a natural aversion to going all-in on heavy cavalry for civilizations that don't have the Paladin upgrade.

Big same. Coincidentally this just today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmgXEZdzt8

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 28, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mission 2 I found a lot of fun, having a competent ally is refreshing and the inevitable betrayal is prepable

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is one of those missions that becomes idiotic on moderate, just a huge jump in difficulty and a brutal onslaught, with hard not being all that different from moderate

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wasn't a fan of Le loi overall but the last one is a nice fun beatdown from start to finish, felt like a real good capstone.

C - If I remember right this one has a vibe for sure :smith:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh yeah, just a constant feeling of doom and dread in these. I don't know if it's a timer thing, but the Mongols will eventually crush poor blue as things progress. Having the first two levels be on closely similar maps was neat storytelling

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fun mission, and I agree that the Hungary side is the more fun version. For some reason I got it in my head that the AI would also be playing the other half of the map while you did yours, and I was sorely disappointed when I marco polo'd it on the second playthrough

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do wish they'd given Tamerlane a dream scenario that covers the planned invasion of China. It's a fun campaign regardless though, nice to experience some big brutal brawls from mission 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah this was a fun one, I like how you can relatively quickly get somewhat strong allies