Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My lasting memory of the AoE2 campaigns is that La Hire wishes to kill something. Awesome game regardless, there's an alternate history where I have a slightly better grasp of the internet in 2000 (or slightly better internet at home) and I become an RTS person thanks to this and Starcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rody One Half posted:

E: oh also Return of Rome, which is apparently them putting AoE1 stuff in 2. 9!

I secretly like AoE1 more than 2 so this is good to hear, thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The blood on La Hire's sword is almost dry!

Which is why we need to do Joan of Arc next.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is the tiny island with a Cathedral on it supposed to represent Notre Dame?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's a statue of Joan of Arc where I live in the US, I've never asked why it's there but it looks cool. The actual legend is a fun story and that's good enough for me.

SIGSEGV posted:

It's a monastery, and yes.

Really running into scale issues there.

Monastery! That's the unit name I was trying to think of. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Saladin

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I get a little bit Genghis Khan

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is the only thing that I know about competitive AoE2 (oh God it's almost a decade old)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Czb64v3WMY

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm way into upgrades myself. You mean I can spend these resources and make ALL of my units better? And they still cost the same? It'd be stupid not to! (has a dozen military units total)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A. Barbarossa

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jossar posted:

Update may or may not be happening tonight due to some real life stuff. In the meantime, here's the official release trailer for Return of Rome that dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0sgkT-od04

Consider the following:

- They just fully gave up on AoE I Definitive Edition, here it is in AoE II instead with a few additional modern gameplay tweaks.
- Please enjoy your bonus classical era Vietnamese civilization.
- No, you can't just have the Huns face the Babylonians or whatever, they're two entirely separate experiences.
- Unless you're the Romans, in which case please enjoy your bonus medieval era Roman civilization which we definitely didn't already h... *gets trampled by Cataphracts*
- Please enjoy your bonus classical era Vietnamese game mode.
- 3 new campaigns (Sargon of Akkad, Pyrrhus of Epirus, Trajan).
- Will the old campaigns be coming back too? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awww I liked AoE 1 :( Though I guess I didn't play the DE all that much for whatever reason. Guess I better grab AoE 2 DE...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm Pickle FredeRick!!!

As for campaigns, El Cid please! I always liked the Spanish in AoC for some reason.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I rarely ever used the Koreans in this game, but I have to shout them out for being the descendants of my favorite AoE 1 faction (Choson)

As for where to go next, El Cid

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"This Will Be The End Of The Huns' Campaign", Says Increasingly Nervous Byzantine For The Seventh Time This Year

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
B. Vlad Dracula

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like that the Buddhist monks give you Atheism if you do that sidequest for them. They don't seem to be very good monks then!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
D. Suryavarman I - Khmer

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
B. Suryavarman I - Khmer

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm still reading! But you are well into uncharted waters for me so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jossar posted:

Charles d'Orleans: You may have defeated me this time, John, but at the deathbed of my mother, I swore the oath of vengeance for my father's murder. You cannot stop an orphan with nothing left to lose!

First thing that popped into my head-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssjUcMkRG7g