Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I will pedantly raise my finger and push my greasy glasses up my nose and point out that like many pieces of media this game is deeply unfair to the dark ages which are mostly an age (much like the Greek dark age) of lack of documentation and not an age of living in dung themed trash fire.

But it was definitely less pleasant to live in than the late Roman Empire, although serfs definitely had preferable living conditions compared to slaves, as a whole technology, and by this I mean the large scale organization, means both financial and manpower, and trade networks necessary, took a step back, while its purely intellectual knowledge didn't really slide back all that much, and of course there was technological progress in other areas.

Also let's get the evil faction out of the way first, I'm sure there's an English campaign around the place somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's my first time looking at the track names for the music and some of those are quite surprising.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's the final stages of the French war of independence from the British Empire, it lasted about a hundred years. Poor France, so far from God, so close to the United Kingdom.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 31, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's also how the English discovered there were other ways to prepare food than boiling.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sally posted:

yeah Gilles de Rais shows up in the absurd Jeanne d'Arc PSP game where La Hire is also an anthropomorphic lion and Jeanne herself gets magic Sailor Moon-esque transformation powers to battle the literal demons that have taken over the English leadership. He is one of the main characters and is portrayed as heroic throughout the game until (endgame spoilers) you defeat the final boss. The ultimate evil cannot actually be destroyed so one of the main characters has to contain their power in their own bodies, a la the ending of Diablo 1. Jeanne (who has survived being burnt alive at this point because her friend who looks like her was executed in her place) offers to be the one, but Gilles stops her, heroically insisting he take the burden instead. The game ends with everyone happy the Ultimate Evil and the English have been stopped. There is a scene where Gilles looks pained and someone asks if he'll be okay and he's all like, "Yeah, naw, I got this" and then the game just kinda ends.

I didn't know anything about de Rais at that point. I thought he was just the cool dragoon-type character of the game and I always used him because I liked characters with spears. After finishing the game I figured I would look him up because I didn't recall learning about him from, say, AoE2. Turns out he WAS based on a really person and... welp...

I have no idea who wrote Jeanne d'Arc for the PSP but it was a real wtf realization. Decent Final Fantasy Tactics clone but hooooooly poo poo the writing.

I also played that game and that happening had me nodding my head wisely knowing what happened.

Also the francisques that are the actual signature weapons of the axe throwers are single bladed, with the blade projecting a bit up and the haft has a weird shape, both to increase the chance of striking with the blade. The twin bladed design has no real origin that I can point at but is the one that was favored in fascist illustrations and took over the representation with time. At least I suppose that was the trajectory for that, it might not be.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 1, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The Minoan labrys, although that was most likely just a ceremonial symbol.

The labys obviously looks like the modern representation but also is a completely different weapon, I guess it is that historian's description bringing them together.

Observed material culture does indicate the one bladed design with the upward to front dogleg design.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's a monastery, and yes.

Really running into scale issues there.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Osman I, the state is called Osmanli for a reason.

Also the lack of sources means you can just make poo poo up.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A Barbarossa as well, it's fine to go in order and see how the devs start to push further what they dare do.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It is important to note that the HRE's nightmare internal structure made it difficult to do sane and theoretically easy things, in the Middle Ages and in the Early Modern period, for example we have infinite battles over taxes and in the long and numerous wars with the Ottoman Empire we have things like the impossibility to maintain towing paths along the entirety of the Danube because some local lord doesn't want to and through a thousand negotiations and compromises to allow power to even exist, he can't legally be overruled and doing it would be an effective constitutional crisis.

I never looked too closely at those roofs about twenty years ago, I though they were just oddly rough and it was probably because of extensive patching, so I though they were poor quality shale roofs.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I see the Palmyrans and I make a minor lol, but well, they do have one moment of critical relevance.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They have the Palmyrans in but not Canaanites nor the Mittani, or the Hatti, and Caesar doesn't have Gauls or Celts to fight.

I foresee many an expansion pack.

E: ^^ I am downloading AoE1: DE as I edit this.

EE: To my shock and horror, Palmyrans appear to have been in AoE1, which just goes to show how much I should trust my sponge brain.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 26, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I get AoE focusing on the Eastern Med and Mesopotamia for its bronze age and early iron age focus, dumping the Romans, Etruscans and Celts and such, it makes sense, it's a place where we actually have a lot of documentation, such that a big problem is that there's not enough translators. But having only one civ for the levantine coast, and a fairly minor one at that, that was added in an expansion pack, for the grounds where the Hittites and Egypt are having their great pissing match over ten thousand vassals (with Extremely Significant intrusions by the (Neo-)Assyrians and (Neo-)Babylonians), that is a weird choice.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 26, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Viking are also notable for being the civ involved in all fatslob matches, black forest, vikings only, set the next six hours aside.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, one of those missions in which we fight for ontological evil, there's a whole campaign, too.

In real life, yeah, the French army's options were all bad and they proceeded with the least bad one and well, it was a dark day for humanity. I suppose they had a good reason for not backing off that day, I'm less familiar with the details than the commanders in charge at the time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Jossar posted:

D. Sargon of Akkad - Sumerians

Sickening.

Let's go for it anyway.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They could have made him Babylonian, still very, very funny but at least it would be the right connections.

Or they could follow broadly historical Ur I and II, or even Ur III, we know about those.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

AoE1 is no stranger to very weird civ choices. Huns represented by Hittites come to mind.

I guess they share a sound? There's no civ to play the Huns while Babylonians could be used since they share the culture and language. Other baffling things are the way the architecture sets are handed out but I suppose you have to use the Egyptian set after making it and there's too many civs that would fit the Mesopotamian set.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A. Attila the Hun

They have funny shaped heads.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, Journey to the West is a classic.

Oh, wait, it's not that one, it's not that one at all.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

B the man who would to be kingduke.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

F. Yodit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gonna go with B.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sure, let's see A.

I like the ending at least in spirit, "and in practice it just meant the crows were well fed" is an important part of understanding a succession war.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That mission didn't seem particularly inspired, true.

Also you just got an injection of three new campaigns.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

F Cumans.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

quote:

An interesting fact to note though, is that this mission and the next one are paralleled in the Rajendra campaign later on in Dynasties of India, where you play as the Chola instead.

That's cute, I like that.

Ultimately there's a limited number of viable scenarios they can play out so I don't mind repetition too much so long as it's an interesting mission type with a couple wrinkles thrown in, even if they start to repeat themselves, so long as the combination is different.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

E Cumans.

Wonder victories are legitimate victories, they certainly count for enemies in campaigns so there's no shame in using them when given.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That was a neat campaign, all in all.

Technowolf posted:

A. Let's finish off Southeast Asia.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I was busy and almost missed the start of the elemental evil campaign.

I'm also still reading, just not posting much because I don't really have much to add.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, the other evil campaign.

You know, I'm reading a book on war crimes and other crimes during the hundred years' war as documented through letters of grace for both members of armed forces and civilians. It gets rather grim. It seems that the French army professionalization was a success both at battlefield success and reducing criminal acts, while the Burgundian was less so, the English leave significantly less paper traces in a number of respects but while everybody seems to agree that all armed forces are bad to have around, the English are somehow worse.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The écorcheurs, or, literally, the skinners, are lovely fellows. Mostly, they are what happens when you have mercenaries and stop paying them, either because you ran out of cash or the contract ran out and they decided that actually it should keep going and you should keep paying them. They pay themselves from the local population, their subtle moniker might imply they are awful, it is correct. They generally demand to be paid off to leave and might not hold up their end of the agreement when paid. Another source of écorcheurs are various former soldiers, especially demobilized en masse after a campaign, who have realized that they will go back to being poor (for nobles and peasants alike, just differing standards that merge when you get really low on the nobility scale), and this is easy work and pays well and they don't have to walk all the way home. Various solutions are tried against both of them, violence works, but rehiring them when possible also works, requires a lot less state violence and enhances state violence against the English and Burgundians.

The unpaid soldier variant gradually falls in number to not negligible but manageable levels as the French army professionalizes, the mercenary variant kept happening regularly all over Europe until large mercenary forces fell out of fashion, everyone hated mercenaries and for excellent reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And that was the other evil campaign. A lot of blood, sweat and tears to get rolled over later.