Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AoE2 Definitive is an absurdly gigantic game, yes. I haven't gotten any of the expansions for it though, I don't think. It's only gotten bigger!

I wonder if the new expansion will finally make it so every civ has single player content? As of Khans/the release of Definitive, everyone at least had a single map in the Conqueror's scenarios, with the sole exception of Lithuania for some reason.

E: since 1999, AoE has gotten: The Conquerors, The Forgotten, The African Kingdoms, Rise of the Rajas, The Last Khans, Lords of the West, Dawn of the Dukes, and Dynasties of India. 8 expansions! That's a video game with LEGS.

E: oh also Return of Rome, which is apparently them putting AoE1 stuff in 2. 9!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I always thought it was fun to do unnecessarily complicated poo poo on certain easy levels in the campaigns, like this or sterling. Sterling for example has a large, perfectly habitable island you can relocate to south of the English camp, and doing so completely breaks the simple tutorial AI so you can do whatever you want entirely unmolested.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I actually checked, and though I don't own the India expansion, I do have Dukes, which introduces Lithuania single player content, so unless there's a left behind civ in Dukes or India, AoE2 actually does have campaign maps for every single civ now!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Joan of Arc is as good a place as any to start, BUT

if I may make a suggestion: what better followup to William Wallace could there be than doing the new Longshanks campaign?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Which is funny, because they would then add a Charles Martel map in Conquerors

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The mere fact we're talking about Franks and Goths in AoE2 at all is a remnant of that, really.

Well "Frank" comes to mean a lot of different things from the Migration Period over the course of the Middle Ages, but /regardless/. We gets more of the Migration stuff in Conquerors and the Forgotten.

E: actually idk what the earliest and latest campaigns are anymore, I've never finished everything from HD or Definitive, and don't even have the latest Definitive expansion. I think the earliest is Alaric, and the latest is Montezuma?

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 1, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jossar posted:

Alaric remains the earliest campaign date. The latest singular battle is Admiral Yi's defeat of the Japanese at Noryang Point in 1598, or if you want a full campaign - then the Bayinnaung campaign, which extends until 1581.
Oh RIGHT, I totally forgot about the Hideyoshi and Admiral Yi maps. Bayinnaung I just know nothing about to start with unfortunately, SE Asia is a real blind spot for me.

NewMars posted:

Goths is nonsense for the main period of the game, but Franks isn't: in an interesting turn of events, Franks was what people outside of europe, specifically in the middle east, called christian europeans. Which makes it a reversal of the term Saracen.

Yeah that's what I was referring to as regards to its many uses, it becomes a (mostly Turkish and Arabic, since that was mostly who the Crusades were against) exonym for Europeans. Incidentally, use of exonyms by people who really SHOULDN'T be using them is one of AoE2's bigger historical missteps (though not the worst, imo).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think if I were to pick a Turk campaign I'd rather it follow Suleiman than Mehmet, but seizing Constantinople would probably be too much to resist.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

So if I understand the migration period correctly, the Germanic tribes all moved into the Roman Empire to flee the Huns, who were bothering them where they originally lived. Were the Huns also running from someone?

It's not 100% certain, but this is generally assumed to be what is happening anytime groups trade positions on the steppe. In the case of the Huns, they are often identified with the Xiognu from the Chinese sources and may have even been initially pushed west by a defeat from the Chinese.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmjXim0lAto

A. Saladin

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So yeah, I really hate that they use "Saracen" here. It's a crusader exonym, and I hate that AoE2 uses it as a catch-all like it does, and in the story even has different Muslim groups using it to describe themselves and each other. I suppose I get not just saying "Arab," especially since that wouldn't be strictly accurate for the Kurdish Saladin, and I'm not asking them to give a lecture on the state of the Fatimids or how Saladin ends up supplanting them, but almost anything would be better than "Saracen." It sticks out especially strongly in the modern game, where we DO have so many better realized (and named) Islamic civilizations kicking around in the civ list.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

YaketySass posted:

The narrator in this is laying on pretty thick how much more civilized the Saracens are, it's like I'm really watching Kingdom of Heaven.

Not that I'm complaining, I like that the campaign actually makes no mystery of being biased accounts, and the previous two were also kind of like this though with a more proto-nationalistic/religious bent.

The funny thing is that both this and the later KoH are really just heirs to centuries of weirdly positive portrayals of Saladin by Europeans, including by many of those who actually fought him. They really were just kind of stunned by the guy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

cuc posted:

In the AoE1 expansion Rise of Rome, there's even a cool but impractical tech called Martyrdom that allows a player to instant-convert an enemy unit by deleting the converting Priest.

I thought this was the coolest poo poo in the world as a kid, I'd send whole suicide squads of priests against the AI just for converting whatever they ran into.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The number one expansion I think I want is just campaigns for the East Asian civs. Japan and China in particular have been in since Age of Kings, but they and the Koreans have to sit with just historical battles (as do the Persians and Magyars).

For every civ a full campaign I say!

E: Vikings too. They and Japan do have 2 though.

A North American expansion would also be nice, not the least so in Vinland we're not fighting Celts anymore.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

YaketySass posted:

It's a shame you can't neatly divide China into civs the way they did with Dynasties of India, it's a part of the world that could with increased focus.

well, with the Mongols being right over there, they COULD go with Tanguts, Han, and Jurchen, if they wanted to do that?
e: But then you're creating more campaigns you have to make I guess.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean they've (for various definitions of "they") have been making this game for 20 years and we're still asking for more of it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genghis Khan's campaign absolutely rules.

I believe the offensive version of this map is an achievement in definitive, though I haven't done it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I actually just did a Hard replay of this last night. I always tend to prefer siding with the Naiman because archers are better and they have towers, but the actual funny thing I tested is that you can, although it takes a bit, actually kite Ornlu out by himself and into the Uighur camp, where they'll throw themselves at him until they turn and thank you for killing him. It's easier to just kill him of course, but for Funsies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dan Carlin is the ultimate History Dad with all the caveats that implies, and I'm sure his coverage of this is no less spotty than some of his other shows

But having said that: boy Dan Carlin has never been more on his loving game than reading the firsthand accounts of the poo poo the Mongols would do and brag about in his Wrath of the Khans series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Hell yeah, I spent so many hours pouring over this as a kid. Truly, the golden age of feelies in video game purchases.

Speaking of, what were everyone's "small child who does not understand RTS" quirks with this game? For me, I would never age up as soon as I had the resources; I would wait until I had a bunch of extra food and gold, so that I could immediately research all the new techs once I reached the next age.

My big thing was rarely building multiples of production buildings, because I already had one, why would I need more???? So ya know, bottleneck there.

Aside from that a lot of my quirks are things I still do, and since I only play single player, probably never won't do. Like my preference for booming and building, or my dislike for anything micro-heavy. As an extension of that dislike, I basically never use mangonels/onagers because of the friendly fire. Actually, the only siege I use most of the time is the trebuchet, unless the map has an age restriction or something preventing me from it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Personally, I've always thought it was rather generous (by Mongol standards at least) of Genghis to respond to the initial caravan incident with "Hey man, look, subordinates right? Sometimes they do crazy things. Just give me the governor and we can put this behind us."

How SINCERE that offer was I suppose is up to interpretation, but it's more of an offer than was usual.

E: V
I always like to have a squad of most following around my main army just as healbots.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 19, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A. Barbarossa

Finishing off AoK makes the most sense to me. After that we could do the conquerors' scenario maps.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

While definitely a trap in competitive, Teutons are lot of fun in single player, where building your German doom fortresses and army of shambling super swordsmen is actually viable. The AI usually doesn't monk counter TKs properly in my experience, and even when they do, an AI monk is just target practice for even the laziest archer micro (like me). Send your boys out with some healers and they'll casually stroll through just about anything.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Battle of the Conquerors
Because it's a bunch of real weird gimmick maps but they're all really memorable. Conqueror's in general is a big step up from AoK

Last Khans and Forgotten are more scattershot (my last campaign in DE's base Europe set is Ivalyo, which sucks), but the rest are all cool.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 27, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vinlandsaga is fun, Hastings is great, and I'm pretty into Mazikert...

There's a lot of fun, dumb one-offs in the Battles

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jossar posted:

Ieyasu family,

It blows my mind they didn't fix this for DE

Ah yes, famous Japanese dynasty, the Ieyasus

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

El Cid

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I always enjoy this map as an excuse to fortify the imam's island. It's inefficient and unnecessary but island strongholds are the kind of basebuilding nonsense I enjoy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

B. Alaric

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Attila

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Even as a kid the wild women were confusing to me. Who are these people supposed to be?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Let's finish off the Americas with D. Pachacuti

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sforza - Italians are a fun, though weird, civ as I recall.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm a big fan of the version where you turn the Isle of Wight into a weird fortress

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

C. Yodit - Ethiopians

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Technowolf posted:

A. Let's finish off Southeast Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A. Tamerlane