Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's a handful of factions that don't have a full campaign and are limited to just 1-2 historical scenarios: Chinese, Persians, Koreans, Mayans, Japanese and Vikings. There's also the Slavs and Magyars which share a single campaign between them(and technically the Spanish are absent from a chunk of their own campaign too to but they got a historical battle in the same expansion to compensate).

Of those, I'd consider the Chinese and Persians to have gotten the shortest end of the stick since they've been in the game since launch and only getting a single scenario each in the first HD re-release in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Maybe he's got an early prototype bombard from before they ironed out all the kinks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There original campaigns have a sort of intended order of ascending difficulty(Siege of Paris notwithstanding) going William Wallace -> Jeanne d'Arc -> Saladin -> Genghis Khan -> Barbarossa that we've followed so far, hence my vote is Genghis Khan

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Competitive Multiplayer Overview: The Saracens
I think these overviews would benefit from having a picture of the relevant civ's tech tree somewhere, since unit availability(and lack thereof, see new world civs and horses) is a big part of a civ's balancing too.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A Barbarossa, sticking with the game's ordering seems good to me.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Much like the AoK campaigns, the Conquerors ones are intended to be played in order of Atilla -> El Cid -> Montezuma, increasing in difficulty as they go(much more steeply than AoK, weird outlier Siege of Paris excluded). With Atilla currently on hold pending the Roman changes, my vote is for Battles of the Conquerors.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Harald Hardrada here is more akin to a Throwing Axeman that uses the Beserk sprite, he attacks at range.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
AoE1 is no stranger to very weird civ choices. Huns represented by Hittites come to mind.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

cuc posted:

Hittites playing Huns is from the AoE1DE version of the level.

In original Rise of Rome, the Huns were played by Yamato, which has a better reason than "they are both Asians" - the Yamato is AoE1's designated Cavalry & Horse Archer civ, the equivalent of Mongols and Huns in a game that has no "real" steppe nomad civ.
It's the other way around, the Huns were Hittites originally before being replaced by Yamato.

There's no good real answer here because AoE1 is pretty clearly aimed at Greece + Mesopotamia and has very sparse representation anywhere else. Geographically you could put in the Shang as they just about bordered the group from which we think the Huns are descended or indeed Yamato for being the horse archer faction.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A. Montezuma

Let's finish off the last of the original era campaigns.
Regarding the ending narration, I think the original's unrepentant psycho killer fits the theme of the Atilla campaign better than DE's guy with PTSD that can't adjust to a peaceful life.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
And with Dos Pilas completed, we're now done with the Mesoamerican architecture set and none of three civilizations that use it will ever show up in the remainder of the campaigns again.

I want a full Mayan campaign :sigh:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
One last Forgotten campaign to go, Sforza

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Yeah, it's a nice little touch - reflecting a corps of female soldiers/hunters from the just post-AoEII timeline Kingdom of Dahomey rather than Mali itself, but the Malians as a civilization are to some extent as much a stand-in for the various kingdoms of the region as much as their own empire. Alas that we can't all get the Dynasties of India treatement!

I'm kinda curious as to what the total civ count would be if each instance of a culturally distinct group appearing in a campaign/conquerors mission would be grounds for that civ getting DoI'd.

Taking Celts as a quick example:
William Wallace/Edward Longshanks - Scots
Vinlandsaga - Inuit
Alaric - Valentia should still be Roman at this point but I guess the Gallic cities deriving their civs from the earlier migration waves for gameplay variety so these guys can stay as the OG Celts.
Dracula - ngl, didn't even know Celts were in this until I looked it up but it appears they're just the P7 scenery faction
York - Irish
Tariq - Basques

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
As far as this game's narrator-was-secretly-in-the-campaign plot twists go, our historian/bard pilfering magical instruments is a pretty cute and well done one.

Anyway, let's wrap up our campaigns with the sadly rare african architecture set with B: Yodit, and after that, finish this expansion by getting on a boat eastward, which will be a nice lead in to the next one.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The rare and elusive feudal scenario! I don't think we've seen one since The Battle of Stirling.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Aaaaaand that's it for Africa and it's architecture set, the continent might appear in the corner of a map hosting some Berber pirates sometimes but both the Malians and Ethiopians will be joining the Mesoamerican civilizations in the pile of stuff that only appears in the expansion it was introduced and will not show up anywhere else in the game again.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 15, 2023

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Eh, not a lot of enthusiasm on this one I guess. Out of personal interest, I guess we'll go with Gajah Mada.
I missed the vote for unrelated reasons but I think it's because the HD expansion packs fall into that awkward middle between nostalgia for the original game and DE content still being new-ish to most people.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A

All I really remember from this expansion is that the jungle maps look pretty, Gajah Mada is not so secretly the source of all his own problems and Le Loi's campaign is pretty hard. I need a refresher about what the other two even were :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A Arambai are a pretty fun unit.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Ivaylo.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I too enjoyed the little puzzles and would've liked the campaign to focus more than that vs. fighting mongols and byzantines again, which is kind of what everybody sharing a time zone with either of those ends up doing eventually.

A Horse archer time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Still reading a well, just not posting much because the very self contained nature of the maps mean the updates pretty much speak for themselves. I've got no strong opinion on the ordering of campaigns and have basically always voted for just following the way the game presents them so I'm ok with you playing them the way you like.