Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I would be all for that too. Imagine Genghis Khan 3 with 4 distinct civs, it would be great.

Regarding civs lacking full campaigns, there's also the Turks, which is a shame given that the fall of Constantinople would be a natural finish to a Turk campaign showcasing the early Ottoman Empire after Bapheus. (Already in the game as a Historical Battle.)

I'm enjoying this LP so far. AoE2:DE really is an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Lets go with Barbarossa next.

The achievement for this mission isn't too difficult, at least on Moderate. Genoa is a non-factor because War Galleys (They never upgraded to Galleon for whatever reason) can't get through a castle in the top-left corner of the base where they attack. Just get a few ships for a possible initial attack of Cannon Galleons and they can be ignored after the castle goes up. Jerusalem can be eliminated immediately with your starting ships going up the river to the right of your town and leaving them to attack on their own once they get to the Town Center.

As for the rest, a mixed army of Elite Mamelukes and Heavy Cavalry Archers (I went with 20 of each IIRC, the population cap was only 100 when I did it, its 200 now) and half a dozen Trebuchets can clear the map with little issue, from left to right, the Franks, Genoa, the Knights Templar and then Richard the Lionheart. That army basically hard counters the Franks, and the Heavy Cav. Archers deal with Teutonic Knights that the Mamelukes struggle with. Any siege that attacks you can be dealt with by a few cheap Light Cavalry riding out and sniping them, 5-10 will do.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Another mission with an achievement, and its quite easy to be honest. Take your entire army south until you find the Watch Tower, and hit it with one Light Cavalry as bait, while the rest of the army waits near the palisade wall. Once the enemy army arrives, move your bait away (I shift-clicked a large square twice around the wonder on the minimap) and move the rest of your army into the Kara-Khitai base, moving along the wall, as close to it as possible.

When you get to the second palisade seperating you from Kushluk, destroy the lowest piece of it and enter the gap you've made. Attack Kushluk from the left and he'll die in a short time after you engage him. Once he's dead, just micro a little bit until you get the win. It should take about 4 minutes in total.

The Mongol campaign is a lot of fun, there's nothing like a near unstoppable horde of Mangudai and some Trebuchets rampaging through a map.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 17, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Speaking of, what were everyone's "small child who does not understand RTS" quirks with this game?

All my farms have to be arranged around my TCs in exactly the same pattern, on perfectly flat land, every time. I don't play multiplayer because I'm bad, but it sometimes majorly limits where I can put new TCs in campaign missions. Building additional TCs at all is a shamefully recent addition to my gameplay in this game too, considering how much time I've put into Starcraft 2 over the years, and knowing that zerg macro hatcheries are basically mandatory.

Farms not fitting round mills in a perfect 9x9 square because mills are 2x2 (With one civ as the exception) also annoys me a lot more than it should. :v:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Attila, lets go from an Infantry horde to a Cavalry horde.

Alaric is a great campaign, every mission is fun to play and the last mission in particular just hits the right notes imo, and it feels very satisfying to finally corner and kill Sarus.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Let's finish off the Americas with D. Pachacuti

Yeah, lets go with Pachacuti. I enjoyed that campaign when I played through it, and that was well before the Incas got their recent buffs.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Its all subjective of course, but I think you're under-rating the Incas a bit here. They've got a very good competitive win rate at the moment, currently 6th best overall, and Hera, who won the recent King of the Desert tournament rates them very highly, particularly for open map games like Arabia.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Aren't the Teutons currently doing quite well in the overall competitive rankings? According to AoE stats, the Teutons are 11th overall, and 14th at the very highest ranked games. The Slavs aren't great, but a civ well inside the top half of 42 civs, let alone one anywhere near the top 10, doesn't seem like one of the worst in the game to me.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Bari, because who doesn't like mass Cataphracts.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
B. Prithviraj. The campaign was changed a bit for Dynasties of India (More than just a basic civ swap at least), and I think the current version of the campaign is a big improvement.

I really enjoyed the Bari campaign when I played it, 4 out of 5 levels are all very good. The final 2 in particular are excellent. The 2v2 isn't bad, there are a lot of levels that are worse elsewhere in the game, but its a step down from the rest of the campaign.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I've never done this scenario this way, I used the sneaky route. You can use the Siege Onager to cut through the jungle south of the first red camp and make your way to another transport ship on the east edge of the map. There's a very deliberate gap in the wall of the purple city on the east edge that you can sneak Prithviraj through and get Sanyogita back out. Then its just sail as far up the river as you can and getting to the Wonder.

Its slower at the start, but overall takes roughly the same amount of time as the combat route. I got the achievement of moderate, with about 10 minutes to spare, but it would probably be fairly straightforward to do the entire thing deathless on hard and still get the achievement.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
B. Battles of the Forgotten.

May as well get what might be the worst two scenarios in the game (Dos Pilas and Lake Poyang) over with. At least the Turk and Magyar missions are fun.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Apparently, Dynasties of India introduced a change to this scenario to prevent you from fully upgrading the Knight-line to Paladin, limiting you to Cavalier. Its an odd change, but I guess it encourages the use of the Sogdian Cataphract and the War Elephant.

The Hun Raider camp west side of the river can be taken out right at the start if you're quick with a little bit of micro and the watch tower near the centre of the map is an excellent place for some defensive buildings. Early on, garrisoned Persian TCs have double HP and are very hard to kill, and eventually replacing them with a pair of garrisoned castles (With a few cavalry to take out rams and trebuchets) basically makes the west half of the map yours forever. From there, its a fairly simple boom and destroy mission. Its a very good scenario.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Its been a while, but I really disliked playing this scenario. I found it to be a really long grind against infinite unit spam which just isn't fun. At all. The allies being useless just makes it worse. The idea of having some replay value via the choice between sides in the early game is a good one though.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
York is way too big and ambitious unfortunately, its a good idea for a scenario but there is such a thing as less is more, sometimes.

Honfoglalás is one of the better scenarios in this set though, I enjoyed playing it a lot. I never played the original, but I think the one we've got now is excellent.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I really enjoyed playing Bapheus, I went for the achievement and it was a nice challenge. The Turk AIs resign if you destroy the castles, so sniping them with Bombards or Trebs is an option. If you're very quick, I bet you could instantly take out the Germiyan and Candar castles by placing 8 petards next to them while allied and once they turn on you, they will instantly blow the castle up, causing their resignation immediately after declaring war.

Cyprus and Kurikara are ok, but are quite flawed unfortunately. Cyprus has an interesting start, but is just a boom and destroy mission at the end of the day and is pretty generic overall. Kurikara's problem is its AI, which just does nothing. I never got attacked once, and legitimately thought I'd broken a trigger or something.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Lets go with Sforza next.

Well done beating Lake Poyang legitimately, it really left a bitter taste when I played it. I tried to play it legit at least a dozen times, but never got close to a win so I gave up and resorted to cheesing it. It has infinite resource unit spam, Han Army land units just spawn in the middle of the wood line just west of the wonder instead of being trained (Admiral Chen at least has the courtesy to pretend to play legit and uses transports), and a strict time limit against a 550 unit Han Navy. Just awful.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Yodit, because the Ethiopian archer line is hilariously powerful.

Glad to see this LP back.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
A fun introduction to the Malay, and their quantity over quality style of land armies. They're good economically too, with faster advance times and their cheap fish traps are an incredibly efficient way of converting wood into food. Their cheaper elephants are individually the weakest by far, but they do match up with equal resources, and they are the only elephant civ to get Heresy.*

*Aside from the Gurjaras, but their elephant is a ram replacement, rather than a heavy cavalry unit.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, definitely. Its a massive difficulty spike in the campaign on moderate. You need a very early castle on the coast to deal with green's navy and transport drops, which means you can't cripple yellow's eco with the castle that Jossar used, so they become free to build a huge army which they will send against you if you try to stop them from stealing resources from your side of the island by killing their villagers. I think you can take resources from the four settler islands freely, which would make things easier, but I never tried it myself.

And on top of that, blue sends cannon galleons against you, so you need a large navy to deal with that, too. Its manageable on water once you've got that big Imperial navy with galleons and your own cannon galleons, and yellow aren't a real threat once you're settled in but its an incredibly hectic start and possibly the toughest mission in the game that we've seen so far.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 5, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Khmer. The Rajas expansion is the hardest set by some distance, so lets get it done first.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I noticed something similar with the Rakhine, I managed to destroy their pre-placed Docks with lots of Demo Ships and after that they didn't send a single transport. They did build them from rebuilt docks, and the troops to fill them, but they just sat there for the rest of the mission.

As for protecting the relics, I surrounded the monasteries with houses and used a strike force of around 15 Arambai to eliminate the attackers, then repaired the damage with villagers. Simple enough mission really.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I found the Bulgarian side much harder than the Hungarian one. The Byzantines are much more aggressive than the other enemy AIs, and it seemed like King Bela's AI is much better at being a useful ally than the Bulgarian one. Very good scenario though, and a great campaign overall.

Let's do Ivaylo next.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Tamerlane, because sometimes ruining everyone's day with a horde of cavalry led by the world's angriest man is just fun. It's not hard by any means, but its enjoyable to play.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ah, the mission where Tokhtamysh does the absolutely worst thing he could do. What an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Something broke for me when I played this mission. The castle segment went as it normally should, but after that I saw literally nothing from the 3 enemy AIs. It was disappointing to be honest, I was expecting a decent challenge (As challenging as 1 sword campaigns go anyway) but got nothing but a slaughter against 3 passive AIs.