Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's kind of funny how this game has had expansions coming out up until... right now. Jeeze, they're still about to release a new expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Interesting historical context! The scottish lost the battle of Falkirk, badly.

Actually the historical background to most of this campaign is pretty much on that level, later ones get... better (?) about it.

Anyway, better get A. outta the way.

Dang french.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ah, france, truly it is a place where the french come from.

I don't really know the historical background to this scenario.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

I don't think he has ever appeared as a major character in any modern Joan of Arc media. It's been years since I played AoE2 so I can't remember all the heroes that show up but considering what de Rais did after he stopped being a soldier, I get the feeling most people don't want that stinking up their stories

I looked him and sweet jesus gently caress what.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
As a note: the Franks unit being throwing axemen, a type of combatant that stopped existing a century or two before this campaign is a remnant of how AOE2 was originally a migration-era/fall of Rome game. Which means that the latest expansion brings that whole idea full circle, I suppose.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Goths is nonsense for the main period of the game, but Franks isn't: in an interesting turn of events, Franks was what people outside of europe, specifically in the middle east, called christian europeans. Which makes it a reversal of the term Saracen.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Note: It took until 1920 for her to be canonized by the pope as a saint.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Also climactic and social conditions were creating societies that had increasing populations at a time when the land itself was declining in capacity with the methods of the day. Rome had long been able to absorb the migrations of peoples before this as well, but during the leadup to this period they stopped with the conditions that allowed for romanization meaning that they instead settled these people whole within their borders without assimilating them.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I've heard of this mission being somewhat infamous for being a slog.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Khan

It's my favourite of the original campaigns, I think.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ah, there's one mission in every campaign that's iconic and this is the mongolian one. In fact, it's so iconic that they replicated it in the star wars game that uses the AOE2 engine.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The sowing fields with salt thing of course, is what they said Rome did to Carthage. Just like how this games narration describes something that didn't happen. that didn't happen either.

No one had that much salt.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Aztecs

I like mesoamerica.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
My favourite has to be either dos pilas or vinlandsaga, can't wait to see those two.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Chronische posted:

Feels like the kind of mission that would be fun to remake in Age of Mythology.

There's actually a remake of this scenario by the guy who did a lot of the forgotten campaigns. It's really neat.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Man, I wish there was an opposite-view scenario where you could ruin William the conqueror's day. Hate that guy.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Chronische posted:

I was just thinking the same thing; need more a-historical scenarios where you get to beat the smug off of 'the Conquerer' types. In fact, it probably would have been more interesting, having to defend against two sizable standing armies with (presumably) very limited resources and time. Needing to micro your forces on one front so you had enough left to destroy William's own forces!

I just looked this up and apparently there was a britons campaign planned where you'd play as the saxons throughout. It had a battle of hastings scenario, but I don't know if that was different or retooled to the version in the conquerors.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
D. Pachacuti's a good campaign.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
C. Bari Let's see what all that eastern roman fuss is about.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Bari!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So the english campaign ends with you failing to really do much besides steal a national treasure. Ah, how uplifting. Still, neat, even if the longbow pretty much their only defining thing, gameplay wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I do find it interesting just how much of AOE2 there is now. Also that Burgundy got a campaign, which is fun.