Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think using timg tags is a good idea here, you're basically forcing each reader to click on every single picture if they want to see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

this game literally taught the child me important lessons in moral relativism. despite the french being the good guys in the french campaign, they're bad guys in the saracen campaign. how do you square this?! it was difficult for a young (and very stupid) me.
Good thing the Britons are pure evil.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
B. Let's kick some crusader rear end.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 30, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

The twin bladed design has no real origin that I can point at but is the one that was favored in fascist illustrations and took over the representation with time. At least I suppose that was the trajectory for that, it might not be.
The Minoan labrys, although that was most likely just a ceremonial symbol.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still vote SAladin.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

I vote for Barbarossa because I tried to play the first level of that campaign yesterday and did not succeed
Yeah, if you play in the intended order, going from Genghis to Barbarossa is a pretty nasty difficulty jump (doubly so because the Mongols are an awesome civ and the Teutons... less so).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's such a disappointment when people lay down a few strategic walls and rush you while you're just trying to build the prettiest base.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of what historical buildings were used as reference for AoE 2 sprites somewhere? That could be interesting.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 14, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Barbarossa.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Turbo battering rams are pretty great, IMO. Never really tried them in multiplayer, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a point in still building regular cavalry archers after you get a castle? I thought Mangudai pretty much replace them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Knight posted:

Speaking of, what were everyone's "small child who does not understand RTS" quirks with this game?
Only using the unique unit because it's gotta be the best. My first experience with this was a demo that had the tutorial campaign and let you play the Britons in skirmish and I couldn't understand how my masses of longbowmen just evaporated upon stumbling upon an enemy mangonel.

Funny thing is, as the LP just showed with the Mangudai deathball, sometimes it actually works.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I mean... is that a thing you only did as a kid? I'm playing the campaigns right loving now and I do it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
People wanting to play along may be interested in the fact AoE 2 Definitive and its DLC is on a sale on Steam right now. Got the rest of the DLC myself, can't wait to see the mess they made out of Jan Žižka.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That loving bridge. I decided to do my main push at 40 mins - after everything was upgraded of course - and then ended with my army stuck on the other end, fighting a desperate battle to do as much damage as it could before it got obliterated by enemy base defenses (since I lost my trebuchets and saboteurs like an idiot early on). It took me three restarts to realize there was another way across the river, which was considerably less defended to boot.

Not a kid thing either. This happened last week.

Anyhow, Barbarossa.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jossar posted:

Oh, fun fact that I didn't really have anywhere else to put: Did you know that all of the voice lines for your units are taken from the medieval form of their Civilization's language? It's not perfect, but it's a nice touch.
Definitely not true for the Bohemians; while there are some archaic phrases in there, they're speaking straight-up modern Czech.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the little touch that our narrator was Henry the Lion all along.

Anyhow, Conquerors. I remember those being pretty cool.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Relics are slow and trade carts both need an ally (which is pretty rare in competitive multiplayer) and are extremely vulnerable.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 2, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always liked playing as the Koreans but I assume their defense focus makes them terrible in any serious multiplayer game.

Anyhow, I'd say Montezuma. We haven't seen the Mesoamerican civs yet and it's a pretty good campaign for learning how to overcome having no cavalry.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I just learned I missed about half the free units and buildings you get, including the farmers, and made the mission unnecessarily harder by building my base right in front of Alfonso's.

I always found it weird how most of the map is just there for cosmetic purposes but I guess it would be too easy if they didn't ration gold and stone deposits carefully.

e: What difficulty are you playing on? I definitely remember this siege being a lot bloodier than described.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 8, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This mission made me turn down the difficulty from Moderate to Standard - even on Moderate, Berenguer's attacks get relentless. Also, the Bombard Tower isn't there.

Anyhow, a somewhat historical note on the main villain of this piece - the circumstances of Yusuf ibn Tashfin and his army showing up are about right, but he didn't turn on the Moors (yet) and sure as hell didn't get beaten by El Cid who was in fact perfectly happy to sit back and let the Almoravids and Alfonso duke it out in hopes it'll weaken them both. Yusuf eventually ended up withdrawing his army from the Iberian Peninsula - due to trouble in Africa.

The second banishment by Alfonso didn't happen either - by the time El Cid was recalled from exile, he was well and truly sick of Alfonso's poo poo and set out to carve his own fiefdom that paid allegience to Alfonso only nominally. Valencia didn't exactly invite him either, he ended up having to siege it for four years.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 12, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jossar posted:

D. Sargon of Akkad - Sumerians
Wait, what?

Anyhow, the finale is really based more on legends that built around El Cid than any history. Yusuf ibn Tashfin indeed came back to Spain in 1090, but this time he was more interested in subjugating the Moorish principalities which he viewed as lazy, incompetent and lax in religion (which gave him a perfectly good excuse to usurp their power). The Almoravid armies did attack Valencia a couple of times but never succeeded against a very much alive and well Cid.

The corpse on a horse thing is completely literary; El Cid most likely died of natural causes in 1099. His widow managed to hold into power for a couple years, but the Almoravids eventually conquered Valencia in 1102. Jimena took her husband's remains, strapped them onto a horse (which is probably where the legend originated) and ran for Burgos, which is where El Cid's tomb can still be found.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 13, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Cuahtemoc Montezuma.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Let's finish off the Americas with D. Pachacuti

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You could also go further up north and base something on, say, Cahokia.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's do Dracula. I agree on the Pachacuti campaign reflection completely - it's fine to play through once but I don't think I'll ever be coming back to it. The biggest issue here may be the lack of variety in Mesoamerican civs - the Aztecs had Spanish to mix up the roster, but the endless Incan infighting is just boring.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sforza.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jossar posted:

Byzantine Soldier: Commander! Dattus lies in irons, his tower a smoking ruin. He requests a remarkable death - might I suggest the poena cullei?
I would advise against looking this up if you want to have a nice sleep tonight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We haven't had an African civ yet so I'd vote E. Mali.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

I want a full Mayan campaign :sigh:
I'm afraid the only way to make that interesting and not another Pachacuti would be basically retreading the Aztec campaign.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of York - a big, epic map, proper material for a saga, but I agree it's just a bit too big and AoE doesn't really have mechanics that'd interact with the playground design too well.
On the other hand, it's the only singleplayer map where you get to play as the Vikings so at least they get a good showing.

Honfoglalás just looks like a slog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Corambis posted:

The aforementioned Malatesta, for one, was reputed as a cannibal and a pagan who was later canonised into hell.
I'm fairly sure it's a different Malatesta Dante put in his Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kind of a wasted opportunity to not end it at Tours, honestly. I understand they don't really want you to play the losing side but campaign just feels unfinished.

Anyway, A.