Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are you going to show off all the standalone missions from the Conquerors expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I can still hear all of these La Hire quotes in my mind

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So if I understand the migration period correctly, the Germanic tribes all moved into the Roman Empire to flee the Huns, who were bothering them where they originally lived. Were the Huns also running from someone?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I vote for Barbarossa because I tried to play the first level of that campaign yesterday and did not succeed

By the way what difficulty are you playing on?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I kind of like it just because it sounds badass. Agreed that it is completely silly to have Muslim characters identify themselves or each other as "a Saracen", but as far as using an exonym for a faction name I don't think its utterly terrible or anything. For what the game is trying to represent - the many Muslim armies that existed during the crusades mushed into one faction - I'm not sure there is a much better word. There's no good word for anti-crusader afaik. Maybe in '99 they could have gotten away with "Jihadi" or something

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I could have sworn the Byzantines had a castle that had square towers and sand colored walls, but I can't find any evidence that a castle like that was ever in the game. Which is weird because I can picture it pretty clearly.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Yeah but I'm wondering if that's what they're remembering and thought it was Byzantine.

Nah, it's none of the ones in the current sprite sheet and I couldn't even find a picture on the wiki. What I'm thinking of has walls that look pretty much like stucco or compacted earth and the towers are capped in a flat roof. I'd begun to think I made it up, except:

tracecomplete posted:

I seem to recall this too, but can't find it.

Maybe it's actually a wonder or a TC?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The problem at least for me is always seeing the monk in the chaotic battlefield. I can hear him converting my dudes but can't click on him :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I vote for Conquerors . As a kid I played Hastings too many times to count