Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
A note or two.

Jean Bureau, that Cannon hero that was worse than a regular bombard cannon. His stats being worse is particularly insulting, because a quick google search of him told me that apparently he is largely credited with making French Artillery among the most effective in the world in his time.

Also, I don't think Reynald himself actually contributes as a hero unit; I think his hero unit is actually de-spawned after his little scene. He will show up later, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Doesn't excuse his range being shorter!

Justice for Jean!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If nothing else, it's a fun exercise to try and clear the map when you're restricted to Castle Age, and two of your enemies start there, complete with castle and unique units.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

YaketySass posted:

The narrator in this is laying on pretty thick how much more civilized the Saracens are, it's like I'm really watching Kingdom of Heaven.

Not that I'm complaining, I like that the campaign actually makes no mystery of being biased accounts, and the previous two were also kind of like this though with a more proto-nationalistic/religious bent.

It is worth noting that by the start of the second mission, the narrator has been with the Saracens for 15 years, 20 years by mission 3.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One fun thing to do when building defensive walls like was done here: leave an open gap. Even if entering that way will get them absolutely riddled with millions of arrows, the AI will always prefer to stream through a hole in your wall rather than batter open a new hole somewhere else. So you leave a hole, then focus your defenses there. A Castle or two (or three), and maybe some cavalry to deal with potential siege weapons, and such.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will note that going on the offensive and wiping out all the enemies is a particularly lengthy but entertaining endeavor if you have the patience for it.

As for the next campaign... I mean... hell with it, we've been going in order so far, let's keep that up. A.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One fun thing to do is to get a few monks out and steal any War Elephants the Persians send at you.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jossar posted:

I'm sure that there must be especially fiendish ways to turn the middle of the map into a deathtrap for the Bohemians, which might be necessary on higher difficulties.

I've had a whoooole lot of fun turning the middle of the map into a giant defensive deathtrap. Walls to form a sort of maze, leaving an open gap but locating that gap at the end of a bit of a gauntlet... then place as many castles as I can fit in the area and/or afford, making sure not to finish them too quickly, so I can finish construction on them all in rapid succession. Keep a bunch of Mangudai or Light Cavalry around to charge out and deal with Siege Weapons.

I enjoy my Overkill Defensive Murder Traps.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In my case, it's just a case of "Let's just go in order because that satisfies my OCD."

To which end, A. Barbarossa next!

But yeah, worth noting, this scenario does not let you build docks; there is water where you could build them, but the building is simply disabled. And while there is a path across the river other than the bridge, most of it is not actually crossable.

Of note, Subotai's reinforcements consists of Subotai himself, two hunting wolves, and ten more saboteurs. In the Definitive Edition, five of the Saboteurs are replaced with Khans, a hero unit based on the Mangudai.

Also, in the original game, the Hungarians were depicted as the Teutons, since the Magyars didn't exist in-game yet. It wasn't until the Definitive Edition that the teams started going back and adding new civs to old campaigns.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Further fun fact, actually. This was the first map to have ice terrain. It didn't technically exist in Age of Kings. And you can tell because units walking across it would make splashy footsteps; the ice is actually repainted shallows.

Definitive Edition replaced it with proper ice terrain and adjusted the rest of the map to represent the chilly climate.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing that's kinda fun is to be actively prepared for Henry's betrayal ahead of time. Position a Ram or four by his castle before the betrayal. Maybe some Petards. The Castle is by far the biggest problem in his base, everything else is simple mop-up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: There is an achievement to beat this level without converting any villagers. It's tricky, and it needs a little bit of luck on the conversion speed, but it's doable.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I... did not know that there was a time-scripted trigger for Henry's betrayal here. I thought it was always as simple and clean as "Once you build a castle."

I remember I went through this mission a few times just never building a castle... but instead rushing to, and building a crapload of Bombard Towers because it was funny.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Have they actually said that the original campaigns are not coming back, or have they simply not said that they are, and people are jumping to conclusions?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cncgnxcg posted:

They also reworked all the other campaigns originating from the Forgotten in some way, which is for the better to be honest. Everything from the Forgotten originated in the fanmade mod of the same name and some of the campaigns were quite clunky in their original versions.

It was definitely for the best that Definitive Edition reworked The Forgotten's campaigns. I appreciate what The Forgotten did in terms of opening the gates for new content for the 20 year old game... but holy crap, it was obvious that it was a fanmod and not made by a professional studio. A competently made fanmod, don't get me wrong, but a fanmod nonetheless.

Official campaigns and Fan Campaigns have very different feels to them, and they very much felt like Fan Campaigns.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting, that "German Goats" Saladin line was in the original, but it was simply subtitled as "Saracens" instead. I suppose they wanted him to be a silent protagonist like most of the Age of Kings Campaign Main Characters (Genghis Khan was the only one with any spoken lines), but speaking campaign protagonists became a thing later, so I guess they went "screw it".

As a note, Richard the Lionheart got a huge upgrade in Definitive Edition. In the original game, he was just a Trebuchet, some Longbowmen, and a few cavalry units (and I think an actual Richard the Lionhearted hero unit, but I may be wrong), but he had no base, and thus just threw himself uselessly at a wall and castle and died horribly. Now he has a full-on base and is helpful, and even makes a market for you to trade with. Saladin isn't really aggressive, but he does rather aggressively defend his area; he's just generally kept busy by Richard now.

As for Jerusalem, they didn't originally have ANY units, just the structures and some towers. Jerusalem will now actually resist your attempts to move in, now.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting, defending against Berengeur from the North can get extra spicy because his defensive line of towers is uncomfortably close to the front, and all too often you'll have to dive into range of his towers to take out his Siege Weapons.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Seconding this. B. Alaric. It's a fun campaign, and getting Ye Olde Goth Flood going is always hilarious.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One detail I want to point out.

In all the campaign maps, there is the objectives window. It does what you think it does, but also has a tab for "Hints" which are specific to the mission and generally helpful to read, and also a "Scouts" tab which gives you a general idea of where people are and what sort of units they'll focus on.

The Scouts tab for this mission states that Ataulf, once he is strong enough, will deploy, and I quote, "the typical flood of infantry that the Goths are known for". That phrasing just tickles me considering how often the term "Goth Flood" is used to describe their gameplan.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
With the way Alaric's campaign here ends?

There's no question. Going to A. Attila next just fits way too perfectly.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I do appreciate how many ways there are to approach the first part of this mission.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact for dealing with the castle that Younger Me never realized, if for some reason you want to go for that instead of just taking out the town center:

Dyrrhachium doesn't have Murder Holes researched on Standard Difficulty. They do research Murder Holes on Moderate Difficulty or higher, though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I always did love that just getting CLOSE to the wonder is enough to make the guy sound more panicked than any other time in the map, and pay out a bunch more.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Of note: originally, those Legionaries and Centurions were Champions and Elite Cataphracts, the Byzantine unique unit.

The Forgotten Expansion introduced a custom Centurion and Legionary unit that was editor-only and very similar to what became the Romans' unique units in Return of Rome, specifically for use in custom scenarios or campaigns that involved Roman forces, but I don't remember if the Definitive Edition used those here before Return of Rome or not.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Random note: before the Definitive Edition, the Alans were represented by Vikings instead of the Huns.

cncgnxcg posted:

I'm not sure if this was fixed or not, but there is an exploit to skip the fight against the romans; before defeating Orleans, you block of their spawn location with buildings, which means they can't appear and will resign almost immediately.
A more time consuming approach to get basically the same thing is chopping/sieging through the woods north of the Metz towards the top of the map, where you will find the Romans "placeholder" unit (just there so they aren't defeated at the start due to having no units), a samurai. Kill the samurai and the Romans will be defeated prematurely and the map will end upon destroying Orleans TC.

Oh, also, regarding this: I believe the spawn location of the Roman Troops was made unbuildable, and the hidden unit over in the trees was replaced with some sort of invisible object to prevent this kind of cheese.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 26, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Definitely the original voice actor, combined with that ghoulish grin in the art that sells it best. The replacement voice and art in DE just doesn't measure up, sadly. I feel the same way about the William Wallace campaign's narrator. The original had something special that just isn't there in the new Definitive Edition voice.

As an aside, it's worth remembering that Verona's represented by the Franks, making those paladins they flood at you all the more dangerous. Patavium hiding a second Town Center inside Verona is mean.

Let's get the last Conquerors Campaign out of the way, I say: let's go with A. Montezuma.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting, the Xolotl Warrior is statistically identical to a Knight. But since the Aztecs lack any cavalry-related techs, they don't get any upgrades.

Also, it is actually possible to build Xolotl Warriors in random map games. If an Aztec or Inca player converts an enemy stable, they will be able to use it to train Xolotl Warriors (same cost as a Knight), though Mayans lack the tech to convert buildings. However, all three civs can also potentially receive a starting stable depending on the map type.

Interestingly, in Post-Imperial Starting Age games, the Xolotl Warrior gets a few stat buffs to HP, damage, and armor, putting them roughly on par with a Cavalier. But from what I can see, this is the ONLY time they get this buff.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I was re-watching part of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged lately, so I'm in the mood for B. Vlad Dracula

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, any time an AI Ally is sloooowly building a wonder, at worst you'll have to wait out the Wonder Victory timer. Sometimes, you don't even have to wait for that, and the scenario'll just end as soon as the Wonder goes up.

I don't think you ever have to go on the offensive after an Ally builds wonder.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The Dracula campaign definitely felt more gimmicky and RPG-like than it does in the rework.

There's one plot detail late in the campaign that was lost in Definitive Edition that I'm sad about, but otherwise, it's not so bad.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have no opinion on the next campaign, but it's worth noting that in the original campaign, those original three Voivods you assisted in the first mission have more of a presence throughout the campaign - and one of them is indeed Istvan, the guy who goes on to be the Host in the original version.

I like to think that it's still him here, despite them giving no such hints in this version.

EDIT: vvv Same, lol

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 15, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
This mission is just hectic. The fact that you are under constant pressure of that ticking clock combined with the aggression of the AIs is a harsh dose of intimidation.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Less epic in scale, absolutely, but the very nature of the map and its trigger-based progressions, as you said, made it prone to becoming very buggy, and it was dangerously easy to sequence-break in a way that just broke everything and made the map unplayable.

One of the maps that made it abundantly clear that The Forgotten was originally a fanmod that was picked up as an official product, and not the same level of Professional Development as other expansions.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, the original version of this map instead featured Tairo no Kiyomori as the final target, who died two years before this battle takes place.

Kiyomori would also go on to feature in the second Warriors Orochi game as a major antagonist.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Kind of a wasted opportunity to not end it at Tours, honestly. I understand they don't really want you to play the losing side but campaign just feels unfinished.

Anyway, A.

Keep in mind, by the time this came out, the scenario Tours as the Franks had been in the game for a while. I feel like that ending was written with an unspoken expectation that the player had probably already played that scenario and knows how this is about to go.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, the terrain of this particular map was modeled after the second mission of the Rise of Rome campaign in Age of Empires 1, just with a few more islands in the bay. That map featured the player fighting against Pyrrhus of Epirus.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly remember questioning why I was helping the Hungarians in the first half of the mission before that event triggered, and I realized that despite being in the Mission Opening, my forces hadn't actually been TOLD about Kotyan's murder yet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You say "Tamerlane has been fighting for a while and must be tired, now is the time to strike"

I say "Tamerlane has MOMENTUM going and his forces are riding the high of multiple back-to-back victories"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's a fun twist to the start of a level; get your mind into the mission before starting into the usual Build Em Up gameplay, and once the segment's over, you get a nice gift of some starting castles. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

NewMars posted:

So the english campaign ends with you failing to really do much besides steal a national treasure. Ah, how uplifting. Still, neat, even if the longbow pretty much their only defining thing, gameplay wise.

I mean, you do also kill William Wallace, and teach the people who only learned his story via the Tutorial campaign that... no, no he did not get as happy an ending as that tutorial made it sound.