Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I always thought the various Condottieri would make for a great campaign. Some entertaining characters, though since so many of the accounts are largely slander it’s difficult to tell fact from fiction. The aforementioned Malatesta, for one, was reputed as a cannibal and a pagan who was later canonised into hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
tbh I can’t really see anyone being particularly enthusiastic about the Sforza ending. I want to see the Berbers next. A.

I just started playing through Jadawiga, so hopefully we avoid that for a little while.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
Curious where they go with C.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I can’t remember if it was part of Forgotten Empires, but I swear there’s some sort of colour filter effect added in certain maps for the remake that I don’t care for.

That aside, the African Kingdoms is probably my favourite of the modern DLC, for aesthetics if nothing else. The architecture set is really distinct and makes for a nice contrast to the rest of the game, even if it can be a little strange to see European knights in full fifteenth century regalia standing in for every civilisation.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
A.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
A. Khmer

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I agree, go for A. Burmese

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
A.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
As child I remember thinking the mission where you begin with only a monk was the coolest thing i'd ever seen in my limited video game experience, but i recall absolutely nothing beyond that.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
Unlike more recent campaigns, I don’t think there’s much in the way of crossover characters, but when playing through these recently I thought there was a ncce thematic arc going chronologically through Kotyan -> Ivaylo -> Tamerlane. Kotyan is difficult at times however I think it’s probably my favourite campaign.

C.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023

The Chad Jihad posted:

If I remember right this one has a vibe for sure :smith:

It surely does, and the designer did a great job reflecting it mechanically.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I found this one of the hardest missions in the game, and one of the only I had to lower the difficulty to beat. It never felt unfair though, just brutal. This campaign does a really good job of communicating just how hopeless things are while pushing you into playing to the unique features of the Cumans: going all out feudal aggression with scouts and feudal age rams makes things notably easier.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I'm in two minds about this mission. The first half is a fun power fantasy, wherein you get to play as a hardened mercenary, riding about the countryside and slaughtering as you go. The second half is fun too—it's got a good balance between difficulty in individual encounters that really feeds into that, they're challenging at times but never frustrating. But the trabsition between the two halves is awful. You're rushed into the transports with no real guidance on where to go. If you blindly move towards the northern end of the river you run into a lighthouse that shoots at your transports supplemented by patrolling ships, yet it doesn't seem like you're intended to disembark to the south—you end up landing under a tower and in combat. Try to avoid the tower and you run into another flotilla. It's a really rough intermission that detracts from what is otherwise a really fun mission.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I think this expansion works best when progressing chronologically, so B. Ivaylo.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
i was able to beat it a few weeks ago without a problem. What was wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
You’re more forgiving than I: I couldn’t stand this campaign. The defence against the Mongols stood out as particularly bad, I found it one of the most frustrating levels in the game on hard, while all the other missions posed virtually no challenge. At least running around with monks and stealing cataphracts was fun I guess.

Tamerlane was much better, even if it never really got difficult. The campaign does a great job of making you feel like the bad guy, encouraging you to salt the earth the minute an opponent so much as looks at you.

A.