Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

has kanye and his pet nick funtes weighted in on this yet?

We regret to inform you that Mr. Kanye West (Ye) is no longer an anti-semite after watching Jonah Hill in 21 Jump Street.

Or something. gently caress, I don't even know anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

love the current ye redemption arc. i always knew he would find peace and love in his heart

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK4_eXWgc8

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DGP Space Lion posted:

Just got back from the protest (which is still ongoing) after spending most of my single vacation day doomscrolling in bed.

Once again the streets are full of people, they are not exactly pleased with the whole "Let's give the former terrorist his own private militia" thing. Currently Netanyahu says that he'll wait until the end of July and try to reach a compromise but nobody actually believes him. I'm tired and scared and hopeful at the same time.

There were a few counter-protesters with Likud flags yelling various threats but mostly looking dejected. I heard that there was a bigger counter-protest in Jerusalem but still relatively small.

I've met some friends I haven't seen in a while and we talked about what we'll do if the protests fail. We don't want to leave but we have no idea if we can stay here after all of this mess. I don't really plan on fighting to death or anything but I don't have anywhere else to go to.

Also my older brother who was mostly neutral politically suddenly shifted to the right which caused an awkward family lunch a few weeks ago, I haven't seen him since and I don't want things to get weird between us.

I think I'll get off twitter for a while and try some meditation and try to focus again, I have to work a lot tomorrow and I'm a wreck. Hopefully something good will happen soon...

Hey man, stay safe yeh? You have good reason to be hopeful, from what I can see, but it's going to be a bit weird for a while for sure.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

I think I'll get off twitter for a while and try some meditation and try to focus again, I have to work a lot tomorrow and I'm a wreck. Hopefully something good will happen soon...

I appreciate the perspective, and I hope that you and your family are staying safe.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

All I can focus on are how many floors are in those buildings. The ceilings must be 7 feet high.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks to the two posters that actually have something interesting to say. As for the others, keep the jokes up! We're onto page 4 but I'm sure we're going to strike comedy gold any minute now!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Thanks to the two posters that actually have something interesting to say. As for the others, keep the jokes up! We're onto page 4 but I'm sure we're going to strike comedy gold any minute now!

It's GBS, what do you expect?

But, yeah. Cheers to our Israeli posters. Wish the best for y'all.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I left Israel for France about a month ago, partly because I was (and still am) fairly certain that "it's all downhill from here".

Be it this dictatorship nonsense, the Jewish religious tensions, and last but not least the Palestinian conflict - I really see absolutely no way it will get better. Even if the good guys win this particular battle, demographics will win the war.

It is clear where the wind is blowing, and even if there are sudden breezes the other way, you gotta pay attention to that hurricane coming your way.

That said, it does warm my heart to see everyone fighting and scoring small victories.

And hey, maybe I'm wrong!
I'm not

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Odddzy posted:

as opposed to this contribution? :cmon:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Just sharing some words of encouragement :) :) :)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Odddzy posted:

You've been trying since 2007, this thread is only a day old. Let's give it time!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DGP Space Lion posted:

Just got back from the protest (which is still ongoing) after spending most of my single vacation day doomscrolling in bed.

I think I'll get off twitter for a while and try some meditation and try to focus again, I have to work a lot tomorrow and I'm a wreck.

I live in the Twin Cities, where George Floyd was murdered and the protests afterwards burned down buildings and neighborhoods I go by every day. Using Twitter a bunch to keep up with things is my biggest regret from those two weeks. It absolutely destroyed me and nothing good came from it. If you think keeping up with things on Twitter or the news or whatever is sending you into a spiral, get that poo poo off your phone and your computer ASAP. I really wish I had.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Odddzy posted:

Robo Reagan posted:

i guess you could say things israely not looking good

this was chuckle-worthy, at least.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Last time there was a legitimate anti-war/anti-occupation protest in Israel, what was the turnout?

Did you show up?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Odddzy posted:

Everybody wanna be the next "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
why don't they just elect the good people and not the bad people, silly Israelis

Democracy isn't even that hard guys

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Listen guys, I know times are dire and we're cracking jokes but if this thread doesn't get good soon it's going to the gas chamber and that'll be a true tragedy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Odddzy posted:

Listen guys, I know times are dire and we're cracking jokes but if this thread doesn't get good soon it's going to the gas chamber and that'll be a true tragedy.

Im going to bds your posts from now on.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

ColdPie posted:

I live in the Twin Cities, where George Floyd was murdered and the protests afterwards burned down buildings and neighborhoods I go by every day. Using Twitter a bunch to keep up with things is my biggest regret from those two weeks. It absolutely destroyed me and nothing good came from it. If you think keeping up with things on Twitter or the news or whatever is sending you into a spiral, get that poo poo off your phone and your computer ASAP. I really wish I had.

This is the best piece of advice ever given on these forums. I did the same with Ferguson and it broke my loving brain. Nothing good that I've ever done was informed by Twitter or social media.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

kiminewt posted:

I left Israel for France about a month ago, partly because I was (and still am) fairly certain that "it's all downhill from here".

Be it this dictatorship nonsense, the Jewish religious tensions, and last but not least the Palestinian conflict - I really see absolutely no way it will get better. Even if the good guys win this particular battle, demographics will win the war.

It is clear where the wind is blowing, and even if there are sudden breezes the other way, you gotta pay attention to that hurricane coming your way.

That said, it does warm my heart to see everyone fighting and scoring small victories.

And hey, maybe I'm wrong!
I'm not

What are you talking about with demographics. What specific increasing demographic is cause for concern

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Terminal autist posted:

What are you talking about with demographics. What specific increasing demographic is cause for concern

I think it's to say that Israel will be demographically (or already is) majority arab or at least non-jewish. I could be wrong though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tarkus posted:

I think it's to say that Israel will be demographically (or already is) majority arab or at least non-jewish. I could be wrong though.

I took it to mean the ultra-Orthodox given context.

The 2 people I know well from Israel who moved here loving loathe them for consistantly supporting the worst shithead policies and politicians (IE: Bibi), and basically being a massive drain on the government.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Tarkus posted:

Yeah an apartheid state becoming a majority of the oppressed people is a good thing hopefully Israel implements a democratic government that allows Palestinians to vote so they can have an actual representative democracy

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deki posted:

I took it to mean the ultra-Orthodox given context.

The 2 people I know well from Israel who moved here loving loathe them for consistantly supporting the worst shithead policies and politicians (IE: Bibi), and basically being a massive drain on the government.

That's what I got from it, I'm not an Israeli but my understanding is that they tend to vote in an extremely consistent bloc for ultra rightwing governments in exchange for being exempt from mandatory military service and some other perqs.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Still laughing at the Israeli poster itt who said that Israeli police never kill anybody and that the Arab population needs to be policed harder for their own good.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

Still laughing at the Israeli poster itt who said that Israeli police never kill anybody and that the Arab population needs to be policed harder for their own good.

:yeah:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Moon Monster posted:

That's what I got from it, I'm not an Israeli but my understanding is that they tend to vote in an extremely consistent bloc for ultra rightwing governments in exchange for being exempt from mandatory military service and some other perqs.

Holy poo poo, the ultra religious in Israel get to vote for saber rattling right wing weirdos while be exempt from the military? :psyduck:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Holy poo poo, the ultra religious in Israel get to vote for saber rattling right wing weirdos while be exempt from the military? :psyduck:

Yeah, the ultra-Orthodox get a lot of pampering in a lot of ways. Seems fuckin nuts to me. Some militaries have some kind of "conscientious objector" kind of thing, where you're banished to logistics or something. But because military service would interfere with their study of the Torah, they get special treatment, as though conscription is no social or developmental burden for anyone else

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Terminal autist posted:

Haredi (ultaorthodox) families have an average of 6 children per family. This is not sustainable even if they were a productive part of society, and at the moment they are (by choice, at least of their elected official) uneducated and most of the men are unemployed (they get money from the gov studying the Torah. Basically a giant grift).

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

The two worst MINISTERS right now didn't serve in the army and they're the most militant people in the government (and racist etc etc etc).

One didn't serve because of the aforementioned religious exemption, and the other didn't serve because he was rejected for being a member of a terrorist organisation. And you know that if Israel treats a Jewish organisation as terrorists they're the worst of the worst.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 29, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mercenarynuker posted:

Yeah, the ultra-Orthodox get a lot of pampering in a lot of ways. Seems fuckin nuts to me. Some militaries have some kind of "conscientious objector" kind of thing, where you're banished to logistics or something. But because military service would interfere with their study of the Torah, they get special treatment, as though conscription is no social or developmental burden for anyone else

Out of curiosity, which political parties/political alliances do most of the Ultra Orthodox israelis find themselves drawn toward?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

zone posted:

Out of curiosity, which political parties/political alliances do most of the Ultra Orthodox israelis find themselves drawn toward?

Historically it was to whoever guarantees the continuation of their "perks".

However in the past 20 years for various reasons they have gone firmly in the right and radical-right wing part.

Even the "regular" orthodox have gone over almost completely to the right. There are exceptions (my brother, fortunately) but that's the majority.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kiminewt posted:

Historically it was to whoever guarantees the continuation of their "perks".

I mean, to a large extent they have their "own" parties basically don't they? You have Shas and United Torah Judaism being parties expressly representing Sephardi (and Mizrahi) and Ashkenazi haredi interests respectively. Both are in the current govenrment and Shas is the fourth largest party in the Knesset* and has played a part in most every government in some ways since the 80s.

Basically my understanding is that Israel is in some sense an extreme case of a multi-party parliamentary system. With a very split electorate, small parties, like the haredi interest parties, can wield outsized influence as they basically sell themselves to the highest bidder in pursuit of their relatively narrow interests. Their support can often mean the difference between having a majority or not.

*11 seats out of 120.

EDIT: It should be noted that as far as my understanding goes, haredim should not be overly simplified as a monolithic group. First there's the ethnic differences which translates into some political trends with the Ashkenazi haredi groups typically being more ambivalent (or even opposed) to Zionism while the Sephardic and Mizrahi haredim swing somewhat the other way, exemplified somewhat by Shas and UTJ. Then there's a similar split between some communities being very old and others that were formed more recently, and the fact that many still don't really participate too much in politics or non-haredi society or at all.

I also have the impression that in the West people and media often seem to conflate haredim/ultra-orthodox and the religious zionists (who I also seem to remember being referred to as "national religious" back in the early 2000s when I visited Israel and the West Bank), the latter also have their own political parties and more or less can be described as far right (they are also where many of the most militant settlers are drawn from).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 29, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

democracy, folks. best we got.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

the charitable read on that is that the palestinian communities should be policed the same as the jewish ones (ie, preventing crime and violence rather than inflicting it)

otoh they also said the problems in palestinian communities had been "ignored", when a much more accurate phrasing would be "systematically created and ramped up, with deliberate intent to make integration impossible"

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
And Netanyahu just agreed to delay the power grab by a month in exchange for giving an outright fascist a private militia.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Say what you will about shameless land grabs, at least there is one functional progressive democracy in the Middle East.

*Taps earpiece* ah, well, nevertheless

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hey none of y'all answered my questions from before:

Compared to these protests, what was the turnout like last time Israel saw an actual anti-occupation protest? Were you there?

Because unless the vast majority of these folks taking to the streets are also in favour of dismantling the Israeli government and ending the genocide they're committing, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about their plight.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mister Speaker posted:

Hey none of y'all answered my questions from before:

Compared to these protests, what was the turnout like last time Israel saw an actual anti-occupation protest? Were you there?

Because unless the vast majority of these folks taking to the streets are also in favour of dismantling the Israeli government and ending the genocide they're committing, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about their plight.

yeah! in your face goons who live in israel concerned about their family's safety in the face of an impending autocracy!

great post bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's an article you might find interesting about anti-occupation protesters within the current protests
https://www.972mag.com/radical-bloc-israel-protests-tel-aviv/