Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

fr0id posted:

In response to the Talisman mention, I’m gonna add a second category: 90s, 80s, and older games “for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books” (In reference to the century old HG Wells designed War Game)

This is the signal I’ve been waiting for.

This is a great idea for a thread and I will work up a post as soon as I can get back to the archive. Commenting now so I don’t forget when I get home.

while not exactly criterion collection material, here is my first printing of Little Wars by H.G. Wells:

notable for codifying a ruleset for miniatures to elevate them beyond just playing pretend and into something adults began to do with a straight face. should probably be noted as fundamental in laying the groundwork for the wargame hobby and therefore the entire concept of rpgs later on in the mid/late 20th century.

jarofpiss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

fr0id posted:

I’m surprised it hasn’t been said yet, but I might as well add Heroquest

Anything I could say about it would be a QR code atop the rules linking to as well as an immediate in text link to this video, which is the single most important bit of heroquest ephemera in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

games workshop has been a prolific publisher of boardgames since the early 1980s in addition to their warhammer properties. talisman as mentioned above would be a cornerstone addition to any criterion collection that attempts to catalogue the notable gw board game titles in some sort of large box set that is delivered by freight.

in 1983 games workshop released the first edition of talisman and absolutely transformed the board game medium by allowing players to not only embark on a magical quest for the crown of command playing as an elf, dwarf, wizard and toad at times.

not long after they began releasing the expansion sets that were infinite in number and began to produce metal miniatures as well for the 3rd edition onward.

in 1987 gw published Dungeonquest, an early dungeon crawler that set the stage for later games to come. it's still a great game (brutally difficult) and the artwork is fantastic throughout.

this leads us to 1989's HeroQuest, published by milton bradley and licensed by games workshop. another cornerstone of the genre, aimed at younger players. this wildly successful game was followed up with a three expansions (i do not own any)

after this, Advanced HeroQuest (i do not own yet), and by 1995 the world was ready to ascend to the apex of the dungeon crawling genre and begin playing Warhammer Quest

which i will cover in a dedicated post

these titles represent the core contributions games workshop made to developing and growing the dungeon crawl board game. there are other games that are core to the genre that were not published or licensed by gw (sorcerer's cave, dungeon!, assorted tsr d&d board games, etc), but for the criterion collection of the gw contribution: these are the ones that make the cut for me. they are included because of the impact the games had, and because they helped set the cultural stage for where we are now. undisputably important titles in my opinion.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

you're all wrong about the criterion collection.

"We aim to reflect the breadth of filmed expression. We try not to be restrictive or snobby about what kinds of films are appropriate. An auteur classic, a Hollywood blockbuster, and an independent B horror film all have to be taken on their own terms. All we ask is that each film in the collection be an exemplary film of its kind. "

talisman is S tier criterion collection board gaming