Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Board games have been around for centuries at this point, with a few games surviving until the modern day. Playing card games have similarly been around for a very long time. However, for the most part, the modern form of the board game has been around for the last century, with modern eurogames, war games, and Ameritrash games appearing in the 50s and 60s. So, we have around 3 quarters of a century of modern board games, and a dozen or two timeless ancient games that are still worth playing today.

The theme of this thread is: imagine you are the criterion collection of board games and have the ability to publish any board game in its greatest form along with its most important extras. Extras can be expansions, rules editions, house rules, or other ephemera. The games that most deserve to be preserved, and how.

Here is my starter: War of the Ring: Second Edition(2011)
Expansions: Lords of Middle Earth (2012) and Treebeard (2012)
Houserules: Replace the plastic and cardboard pieces with wooden tokens e.g. https://imgur.com/a/zwI01g5

War of the Ring was my first serious board game. The first edition came out in 2004 and I eagerly followed its development, play through writeups, and eventual release. Other than some modifications for balance and ease of use on the map, the second edition maintains the same basic game that 2004 had. The Lords of Middle Earth add some really fun extra content involving thugs like the Balrog and Galadriel that most players would been missing or wondered about. The latter expansions mostly just seem to offer extra rules crud in exchange for…the company getting more of your money. There’s a reason they waited so long to release these expansions: they know they already had a perfect game. This is THE game for an LOTR fan. It is a perfect bridge for people to move from Risk to Euro games. It will feel epic and powerful and generate fun stories every time you play it even without any explicit story building mechanics. This is a perfect board game, and encompasses everything that people love about Ameritrash and Eurogames in one great package. Also, replacing everything with wooden tokens is the perfect way to absolutely class this thing up into perfection.

From silvergoose:

I've waxed about it a lot, but it'll have to be Napoleon's Triumph for me. It's a wargame, in the general genre of Block Wargames, where (rather than Hex and Counter, typically) your opponent can see the number and location of your units, but not their makeup or strength.

The feel blends Stratego (the first block wargame??), poker (there's a lot of bluffing, feinting, probing here to launch strength there, draw enemy units to stop feints before smashing through the front), and a pure no-luck combat system that rewards positional movement, strategy, and tactics.

There is no other game I would pick. No expansions. Its creator, retired now, is Rachel Simmons, a trans woman, in an area of gaming even more male dominated than the general hobby.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Talisman (specifically second edition) is one of the greatest board games ever made and should be preserved in its entirety, along with every single one of its expansions.

It's just a cool fantasy romp that hits every notable epic high fantasy touchstone. All the cool Tolkien poo poo with a vaguely Warhammer Fantasy spin, and then some other weird stuff in some of the more esoteric expansions.

That’s an awesome Rec! I see there are 4 editions of talisman and 24 expansions for the latest. What are your thoughts on those for preservation?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

In response to the Talisman mention, I’m gonna add a second category: 90s, 80s, and older games “for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books” (In reference to the century old HG Wells designed War Game)

Weapons and Warriors: Holy poo poo what a game. This is why your older family still finds weird plastic balls underneath their furniture to this day. Launching little catapults and trebuchets at plastic fortresses held in place by rubber bands rules so hard. Stuff explodes. Stuff goes boom. Incredible. Perfect old school dexterity game. Probably has a pet body count.

Key to the Kingdom: Another great old game where you can literally fold the board on people to crush and kill them. So much fun. SMOOSH.

Tower of the Wizard King: Another childhood absolute banger. The tower had this amazing system wher you slotted in your hero token and then had a super satisfying “chachunk” as you pressed the lever to switch characters. God help anyone if you got the dragon. Incredible

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

silvergoose posted:

I've waxed about it a lot, but it'll have to be Napoleon's Triumph for me. It's a wargame, in the general genre of Block Wargames, where (rather than Hex and Counter, typically) your opponent can see the number and location of your units, but not their makeup or strength.

The feel blends Stratego (the first block wargame??), poker (there's a lot of bluffing, feinting, probing here to launch strength there, draw enemy units to stop feints before smashing through the front), and a pure no-luck combat system that rewards positional movement, strategy, and tactics.

There is no other game I would pick. No expansions. Its creator, retired now, is Rachel Simmons, a trans woman, in an area of gaming even more male dominated than the general hobby.

I think we can all agree that we would want a better sticker system that what it has. I have my metal flags held on by scotch tape. Criterion absolutely has pressed metal flags.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

silvergoose posted:

I used super glue, just a dot, and they don't fall off.

I’m a craft moron. I understand this but immediately am like: “both sides of the metal?” “What’s a dot look like?” Do you have a for dummies guide?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Tigris & Euphrates

Incredible achievement. A Eurogame that has an incredibly dry rule set but through the theme manages to portray military, religious, economic, and cultural conflicts all based on geography. You absolutely feel the history occurring with your moves. You don’t feel like an individual lease but rather a cultural force pushing against others in a very limited atmosphere. Absolutely incredible. A criterion my give us a sturdier board, some clacks plastic domino-like tiles, and general heavier duty stock for things. But this game is an utter achievement. My own personal story is this is the one game I asked my local game store to custom order for me back in the late 2000s. Just wonderful. Great game for even board game newbies who want something more strategic. Utterly addictive.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m surprised it hasn’t been said yet, but I might as well add Heroquest

Anything I could say about it would be a QR code atop the rules linking to as well as an immediate in text link to this video, which is the single most important bit of heroquest ephemera in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

also what’s the wwii board game that has a cock and balls for box art and the best Board Game Geek review of all time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Blamestorm posted:

As they others said, it was a huge milestone and most game shops still have tons of copies and direct people to it as a gateway game. (Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride and Pandemic I think are similar in this sense). But unlike those other three I think Catan in particular has just been massively eclipsed by a lot of other games, more so than the others. Like you say it’s fairly inoffensive (although the variance sucks and there really aren’t that many strategic choices) , it’s just I think for newbie friendly experiences there are gazillions of other options that are more fun, have more to explore in terms of repeat plays, play faster, etc. Like I think if a group had access to a good collection of highly rated similar games from the last ten years they’d never pull out Catan by choice. But all that said if the thread is recognising “milestone” games in terms of industry impact yeah it’s totally top 5 material. (I just think the evergreen classic games still awesome today topic is a more interesting chat, but cool if people want to think boardgaming history instead).

Why not both?