Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I would preserve Dune. Rather than decide on a definitive edition of the game I'd do an omnibus chronicling the full history. From the expansions to the original Avalon Hill game, the fan-supplements from the magazine that got included in the Descartes edition of the game, all the way up to the GF9 re-release and two expansions. I think the newest expansion (CHOAM Richese) is kind of bad, and I'm not 100 percent on expansion 1 either. But if I start picking and choosing what to include then we'll just end up with my personal preferences rather than a definitive edition. So it would be a four box set with
  • Core Game
  • Avalon Hill Expansions (Spice Harvest and Duel)
  • Fan Expansions (Ix, Tleilax, Landsraad)
  • GF9 Expansions (Ix, Tleilax, CHOAM, Richese)
The biggest improvement in presentation would be putting all the rules in one rulebook. The Avalon Hill rules had ambiguities that the new edition tries to address, but the GF9 version has way too much information shuffled into separate errata and FAQ documents rather than compiled in a single location. I'd include a companion book chronicling the release of each version and the rules changes over time. A lot of the changes in the GF9 version are common houserules that reflect the way most people actually played the original game, but some rules changes are more controversial. And the tournament scene uses a different set of houserules from either. GF9 Dune has a reference table of houserules in the back for alliances, including the context and how they might affect the game. I think you could do that for all the mechanics that have changed over time (full phase vs one action karama, pass-thru ornithopter use, Fremen advanced combat alliance power...)

Besides that, I want larger components and a bigger board. Maybe stackable wooden meeples for easier force deployment. GF9 opted for smaller pieces and a smaller board to make a cheaper box that was easier to store, but we don't have to compromise if it's meant to be an ultimate edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU