Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've waxed about it a lot, but it'll have to be Napoleon's Triumph for me. It's a wargame, in the general genre of Block Wargames, where (rather than Hex and Counter, typically) your opponent can see the number and location of your units, but not their makeup or strength.

The feel blends Stratego (the first block wargame??), poker (there's a lot of bluffing, feinting, probing here to launch strength there, draw enemy units to stop feints before smashing through the front), and a pure no-luck combat system that rewards positional movement, strategy, and tactics.

There is no other game I would pick. No expansions. Its creator, retired now, is Rachel Simmons, a trans woman, in an area of gaming even more male dominated than the general hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fr0id posted:

I think we can all agree that we would want a better sticker system that what it has. I have my metal flags held on by scotch tape. Criterion absolutely has pressed metal flags.

I used super glue, just a dot, and they don't fall off.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fr0id posted:

I’m a craft moron. I understand this but immediately am like: “both sides of the metal?” “What’s a dot look like?” Do you have a for dummies guide?

I am too. Both sides as there's a sticker on both sides, you just want enough that it'll expand a little to keep the whole flag on, but not so much that there's glue coming out the edges of the sticker.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't heard of Weapons and Warriors in decades. What a perfect game*

I knew of and owned it as Crossbows and Catapults, and yeah, literal decades.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tresham Civ and 1830 both belong here, yeah. Both games launched entire genres, are still played today, and are still both extremely good games that I would play any time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bit of both? Some people got tired of it after playing dozens of times early on, some people (I'm in this category) always hated it because of the high variance and convincing people stuff, and some people still like it. And some people are tired of The Joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh it 100% was, absolutely.