Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Just going to get ahead of the discussion and say for all those wondering; nation-wide protests that cross the lines of what is normally considered safe protest is probably the only way to get the gun crisis fixed. And seeing as gun violence is now the leading cause of death among children in the US, and many of the same people preventing that from being fixed already tried to violently overthrow US democracy, if this doesn't justify revolutionary action then nothing else really does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Orthanc6 posted:

Just going to get ahead of the discussion and say for all those wondering; nation-wide protests that cross the lines of what is normally considered safe protest is probably the only way to get the gun crisis fixed. And seeing as gun violence is now the leading cause of death among children in the US, and many of the same people preventing that from being fixed already tried to violently overthrow US democracy, if this doesn't justify revolutionary action then nothing else really does.

You want to have an armed revolution to get rid of guns?

VVV And yet it's the only interpretation that makes sense, unless you think that fascists are going to give up their guns because New York City is getting trashed.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 27, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

You want to have an armed revolution to get rid of guns?

I think that's leaping to the most extreme possible interpretation of what they said.

I agree with them to be honest. It sure appears as if the gun violence crisis--really, multiple different kinds of crises that all go back to guns--is not going to be resolved through normal political means. There will need to be, at least, sustained nationwide demonstrations on par with what we're seeing in France and Israel right now in order to even begin to move the needle.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think that's leaping to the most extreme possible interpretation of what they said.

I agree with them to be honest. It sure appears as if the gun violence crisis--really, multiple different kinds of crises that all go back to guns--is not going to be resolved through normal political means. There will need to be, at least, sustained nationwide demonstrations on par with what we're seeing in France and Israel right now in order to even begin to move the needle.

Looks like it's time, once again, to point to the example of Australia. This time with assistance from John Oliver! I have even queued up the link for the inevitable "America is different" argument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FLsIzNxkI&t=839s

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kalit posted:

Looks like it's time, once again, to point to the example of Australia. This time with assistance from John Oliver! I have even queued up the link for the inevitable "America is different" argument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FLsIzNxkI&t=839s

Respectfully, that is not at all convincing. It does not address the myriad systemic issues--both cultural and political--that make America a vastly different situation than Australia.

As a specific example, the speed with which they passed their gun control legislation. Of course it only took a few months, Australia has a parliamentary system where a government can do poo poo like that. They don't have to worry about divided government or a filibuster (at the very least) when legislating.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 27, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Infrastructure week continues mercilessly

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1640423514887864323?t=SLrHn9dgH64cZtQ6d4Wvzw&s=19

Just reported on this part hour, anyone around kelso, Cali should probably get the gently caress away from rail lines right now

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How the hell does that happen

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If a train has gotta derail that looks like a fantastic place for it to happen. (Kelso is a ghost town/abandoned depot, not an actual place people live.) But yeah. Apparently you can forget to put a train in park?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 27, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

A big flaming stink posted:

Infrastructure week continues mercilessly

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1640423514887864323?t=SLrHn9dgH64cZtQ6d4Wvzw&s=19

Just reported on this part hour, anyone around kelso, Cali should probably get the gently caress away from rail lines right now

Jesus, was just about to post this, since there were two other derailments today. one in some Chicago suburbs and another in North Dakota. The Chicago one was just carrying wheat, but the SD one spilled hazardous chemicals.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/canadian-pacific-train-derails-near-chicago

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3920140-train-derails-spilling-hazardous-materials-in-north-dakota/

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just to rehash from previous discussions, 3 derailments is an average day. There are about 1000 per year.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Just to rehash from previous discussions, 3 derailments is an average day. There are about 1000 per year.

As I'm pretty sure has been pointed out before when this topic came up, The trend of the increasing number of rail cars in a train means that derailments are becoming more dangerous compared to years previous

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Respectfully, that is not at all convincing. It does not address the myriad systemic issues--both cultural and political--that make America a vastly different situation than Australia.
:allears: Thanks for proving my point so quickly

Judgy Fucker posted:

As a specific example, the speed with which they passed their gun control legislation. Of course it only took a few months, Australia has a parliamentary system where a government can do poo poo like that. They don't have to worry about divided government or a filibuster (at the very least) when legislating.
....how does this prevent us from passing gun control related laws? And do you think that a parliamentary system makes it impossible to have a divided government?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kalit posted:

....how does this prevent us from passing gun control related laws? And do you think that a parliamentary system makes it impossible to have a divided government? I'm so confused by your point...

I think the point is American exceptionalism.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kalit posted:

....how does this prevent us from passing gun control related laws? And do you think that a parliamentary system makes it impossible to have a divided government?

Technically, yes. A parliamentary system has the executive and legislative branch within a single elected body, so it is literally impossible to have a divided government where the executive and legislative branches are controlled by different people.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Technically, yes. A parliamentary system has the executive and legislative branch within a single elected body, so it is literally impossible to have a divided government where the executive and legislative branches are controlled by different people.

Thanks for the explanation, maybe I had a different idea of the term divided government. I was thinking of a divided government within the same branch, i.e. Australia's Senate and House of Representatives. This is how it was always referred to as within my state of MN, so I assumed this was the correct usage of the term.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 27, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
With all due respect, I don't think government structure is the problem, I think it's that the people who make up the government in each case are in one case, sane, and in the other case: complete loving lunatics.

"High-power rifles are bad for civilians to own without significant or complete restriction" is not really much of a debate in most of the world. Even in Canada, where the gun control debate is quite active, the discussion usually comes down to: "should these guns be moderately restricted (as all guns), heavily restricted (as handguns and AR-15s were until recently) or prohibited?"

I think that's a reasonable conversation to have, and reasonable people can disagree on what the correct regulations would be. But I think having everything more or less wide-open is clearly very loving stupid, bordering on insanity, and most everyone agrees.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Update: crashed

https://twitter.com/SBCOUNTYFIRE/status/1640442287716171776?t=PaflAQo60ghfiBu-Ze-QDw&s=19

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A load of iron ore, 26 thousand tons more?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, I'm gonna be driving through Kelso on Wednesday. Gonna grab me some iron ore.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mutata posted:

Hey, I'm gonna be driving through Kelso on Wednesday. Gonna grab me some iron ore.

America is becoming a survival crafting game before our very eyes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

America is becoming a survival crafting game before our very eyes.

Cant craft launch fuel without metal plating!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kalit posted:

How did I do that, exactly? It's not a logical fallacy to say that the U.S. is different from Australia both socially and politically. Why is it logical to assume that something that worked in Australia will definitely work in the U.S.?

Kalit posted:

Oh, you don't know what you're talking about. Okay, then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Byzantine posted:

A load of iron ore, 26 thousand tons more?

...than the runway train had weighed empty.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Youth Decay posted:

Nashville shooter was a 28yo woman. I believe this is the first school shooting committed by a woman since the Cleveland Elementary School shooting in 1979.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

More 👏 female 👏 school 👏 shooters👏

Wait, no, the opposite

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

More 👏 female 👏 school 👏 shooters👏

Wait, no, the opposite

Hashtag #feminism

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PT6A posted:

With all due respect, I don't think government structure is the problem, I think it's that the people who make up the government in each case are in one case, sane, and in the other case: complete loving lunatics.

I would argue that how the government is structured affects who is in the government.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

How did I do that, exactly? It's not a logical fallacy to say that the U.S. is different from Australia both socially and politically. Why is it logical to assume that something that worked in Australia will definitely work in the U.S.?

Oh, you don't know what you're talking about. Okay, then.

You never answered the question and are ignoring the fact that the Australian government can have split control of the legislative branch, like they currently do. Let me rephrase my question.

Since we've seen the US government pass meaningful gun control legislation in the recent past (Federal Assault Weapons Ban), why do you think that our government structure is what holds us back from passing gun control laws similar to Australia?

Or, to the larger point that started this derail, why do you think our government structure is what makes it impossible to get it to the point where we can see a meaningful difference in gun deaths in our country?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 27, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

I would argue that how the government is structured affects who is in the government.

You can't get lunatics in a democratic government of any construction unless you have a significant number of people who are ready and willing to vote for lunatics. Yes there's gerrymandering and voter suppression, but there's also a lot of voters who are just batshit insane, and those factors are the two halves of the puzzle.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I guess it's one of those things you can never explain, like when an angel cries, like runaway trains.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kalit posted:

You never answered the question and are ignoring the fact that the Australian government can have split control of the legislative branch, like they currently do. Let me rephrase my question.

Since we've seen the US government pass meaningful gun control legislation in the recent past (Federal Assault Weapons Ban), why do you think that our government structure is what holds us back from passing gun control laws similar to Australia?

Or, to the larger point that started this derail, impossible to get it to the point where we can see a meaningful difference in gun deaths in our country?

Why is this a derail? We're discussing a US-centered current event :confused:

The structure of our government prevents us from passing meaningful gun control legislation because it is purposefully undemocratic. It is willfully structured so that minority rule prevails. There are enough powerful, minority interests who do not want any kind of gun control legislation to pass, ever. What happened to that assault weapons ban, by the way?

If you want to know how or why I've come to my position, here's a question for you: if it's so easy Australia did it, why is meaningful gun control legislation not being passed in the U.S. right now? or even since the ban was repealed?

And besides, you're arguing the affirmative here. You prove your case on how it'd be so simple to do, and please be a bit more thorough in your explanation than posting a four-minute infotainment clip.

PT6A posted:

You can't get lunatics in a democratic government of any construction unless you have a significant number of people who are ready and willing to vote for lunatics. Yes there's gerrymandering and voter suppression, but there's also a lot of voters who are just batshit insane, and those factors are the two halves of the puzzle.

I don't disagree, but I posit that our dumbfuck electoral and political systems creates the socioeconomic conditions to create the kind of batshit lunatics we're mutually discussing.

I'd also say handwaving away gerrymandering and voter suppression is being too dismissive of their effects.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I think we should have more gun laws in the USA.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We never should have cut back funding to the Blast Corps

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'd also say handwaving away gerrymandering and voter suppression is being too dismissive of their effects.

I'm not handwaving them away, I'm saying in a sane country even die-hard conservative partisans would say "you know, these constant shootings are getting to be a bit much, loving do something about them" and then it wouldn't matter how you suppressed the vote or gerrymandered them because no one would vote for rabid 2nd amendment loons.

There would still be a lot of other policy issues, the system would still favour capital and racism and all that horrible poo poo, it would not fix every problem, but you need a certain amount of absolute nuts to sustain the current policy positions on gun control, because they are utterly insane.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mutata posted:

oren't you glad you were already passing through

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

PT6A posted:

I'm not handwaving them away, I'm saying in a sane country even die-hard conservative partisans would say "you know, these constant shootings are getting to be a bit much, loving do something about them" and then it wouldn't matter how you suppressed the vote or gerrymandered them because no one would vote for rabid 2nd amendment loons.

There would still be a lot of other policy issues, the system would still favour capital and racism and all that horrible poo poo, it would not fix every problem, but you need a certain amount of absolute nuts to sustain the current policy positions on gun control, because they are utterly insane.

Gerrymandering and under-representation (you'd have to quadruple the size of congress to get a population to representative ratio close to Australia) is doing a drat lot of work that you're consciously saying doesn't matter just because you know that assholes exist.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Why is this a derail? We're discussing a US-centered current event :confused:

The structure of our government prevents us from passing meaningful gun control legislation because it is purposefully undemocratic. It is willfully structured so that minority rule prevails. There are enough powerful, minority interests who do not want any kind of gun control legislation to pass, ever. What happened to that assault weapons ban, by the way?

If you want to know how or why I've come to my position, here's a question for you: if it's so easy Australia did it, why is meaningful gun control legislation not being passed in the U.S. right now? or even since the ban was repealed?

And besides, you're arguing the affirmative here. You prove your case on how it'd be so simple to do, and please be a bit more thorough in your explanation than posting a four-minute infotainment clip.

Good point about this not being a derail, whoops.

Our structure of government is not a true democracy, absolutely. But, as history as shown, we can still pass gun control laws. I never said it's simple/easy/etc. But you were making the argument that it's impossible because of it.

To correct your statement, I wouldn't say Australia easily did it. IIRC, they passed it by one vote by a conservative who threw away his political career for it. A more accurate stating would probably be they had the correct politicians in office at the correct time.

Another correction is the Federal Assault Weapons Ban wasn't repealed, it was expired and wasn't renewed. Which ends in the same result of the ban, but I think its important to show that it wasn't because of an extremely strong rebuke of that law.

For your question about the USA, gun control legislation isn't being passed for a myriad of reasons. Off the top of my head, the leading causes is probably something along the lines of:
  • The gun lobby is still really powerful
  • The second amendment makes the ideological discussion for gun control harder (but, as we know, SCOTUS has placed limitations on 2A)
  • Guns are [incorrectly] viewed as a useful tool for protection. While historically this was much more common in the right leaning communities, it's been taken off recently in the left leaning communities

To your point about government structure in general, I could maybe throw the makeup of the senate in that list too. However, I think that's secondary to those other 3 points. If those other 3 points shift among the general populace, I imagine a lot more centrist (D & R) politicians would happily vote for gun control laws.

Once again, I never said it was simple, but I think it absolutely is possible to pass major changes through our federal government. And I know this is true because we've seen it in the recent past.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 27, 2023

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/nashville-school-shooting-covenant-live-updates-rcna76861

quote:

The suspect in Monday's deadly school shooting was a former student who had maps of The Covenant School, Nashville Police Chief John Drake said.

Audrey Hale, 28, who police said was a transgender woman, had conducted surveillance and prepared for the attack with detailed maps, officials said. Police said the shooter had a manifesto, the contents of which were not released.

Hale had attended the school as a child but police did not detail which grades.

Hale shot through a door to gain access to the school, Drake said.

The shooter, Drake said, was “prepared for a confrontation with law enforcement” and “prepared to do more harm."

The shooter was armed with two semiautomatic AR-15-style rifles as well as a handgun. At least two of the three guns had been lawfully purchased, Drake said.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

cool this will surely have a wonderful effect on the discourse around upcoming legislation aimed at trans people

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm really afraid for the anti-Trans backlash that will come from this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PT6A posted:

the australian liberal party is not famed for its sanity