Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Timeline where I un-ironically think Taylor Swift would be the better candidate is a hell of a drug.

Trump got the office with zero experience and tried to burn everything down, and the country didn't completely explode... yet. Someone who can actually care about a few people besides themselves would literally do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

borkencode posted:

My understanding is that most companies incorporate in Delaware due to the long history of other companies having incorporated in Delaware, so there’s a similarly long legal history in Delaware and companies like that boring legal framework to exist in.

So Elon’s totally going to switch to Texas and put a dog on the board of directors.
Yes but also Delaware’s laws are extremely favorable to corporations. That’s the main benefit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

volts5000 posted:

Not if it includes poo poo like this. The story broke about an hour ago. A guy in Pennsylvania is waging a war on the federal government, posted a manifesto on YouTube, and presented his father’s severed head wrapped in plastic as the first federal employee killed in his war. YouTube had it up for six hours before it came down. I saw it. It is hosed up beyond belief.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13026501/Man-beheads-federal-employee-father-posts-video-decapitated-head-YouTube.html

daily mail are worthless assholes but the story seems to be accurate (and there is no way I am going to seek out the video if there's a copy still up)

e: the fucker is also in police custody so that's nice

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 31, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

volts5000 posted:

Not if it includes poo poo like this. The story broke about an hour ago. A guy in Pennsylvania is waging a war on the federal government, posted a manifesto on YouTube, and presented his father’s severed head wrapped in plastic as the first federal employee killed in his war. YouTube had it up for six hours before it came down. I saw it. It is hosed up beyond belief.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13026501/Man-beheads-federal-employee-father-posts-video-decapitated-head-YouTube.html

what the christ

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

daily mail are worthless assholes but the story seems to be accurate (and there is no way I am going to seek out the video if there's a copy still up)

Yeah, don’t watch it. Also, The Daily Mail was the only outlet I recognized that had the story.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Got this thread open on one side of the screen, a Rogue Trader playthrough on the other, thinking "the Chaos cults are a little closer to reality than I'd like."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I was hoping for a little less Nurgle and Khorne and a lot more Slaanesh.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Xiahou Dun posted:

refer to thread title

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mods get off your rear end and make the 2024 thread, you have a title

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
It's just starting to get posted in the Philadelphia area news pages:

https://www.inquirer.com/crime/bucks-county-beheaded-father-son-levittown-arrest-20240131.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/upper-orchard-levittown-pa-murder-crime/

How the Daily Mail has more info is beyond me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oh they knew. They probably just spent time figuring out how to handle "average PA white male beliefs" being connected to a decapitation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Daily Mail appears to have gotten some of their reprinted material from levittown now, a local news outlet (please support your local news outlets, folks!) which fwiw they did credit. The rest appears to be from watching the video and rapidly googling public records - they slammed any potentially related info including random photos of uninvolved familiy members into the article. At a guess they have people attending feeds for terms like "beheading".

BTW if you're looking to fund good journalism the Philly Inquirer is a great place to do it- they're indirectly funded by a nonprofit journalism foundation, the Lenfest Institute.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 31, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BougieBitch posted:

I can't speak for the neighborhood in Pittsburgh, but I can tell you right now that the Industry neighborhood of Muncie, IN has access to none of that. Muncie is a college town, and on the side of town north of the river we got Indian and sushi finally in the 2010s, none of that poo poo is in the least bit accessible to residents living across the river and across the tracks. You could buy a house where the previous owner OD'd on meth for low 5 digits if you want, but your car is going to get broken into every other week. There's not a grocery store or restaurant near you either, because the zoning is prohibitive and even the corner stores regularly went out of business because they got robbed so often in my neighborhood (which shares a border in the railroad track)

Similarly, there are cool outdoor areas and local museums dedicated to the Ball family (you may know them for the glass jars), but all of those are in and around the university campus, on the far side of town from Industry.

Basically, if you want to have "local color"-level amenities available at "making a trip to the city" distances you can, but you have to go home some time and the view from your window is going to be BLEAK.
I'm surprised to hear Muncie is that bleak.

But your response does kind of go to my question - are people defining culture by food variety? It can't be that simple, because plenty of inner ring suburbs have phenomenal food variety yet are disdained.

The point I think I'm slowly working towards is that culture isn't a thing people are interested in - they just want to be by lots of other people for both jobs and socialization. The quality of museums, fine arts, etc doesn't matter too much, they'll find something they enjoy doing whether it's backpacking, fishing, nightclubs, comedy shows, etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

borkencode posted:

My understanding is that most companies incorporate in Delaware due to the long history of other companies having incorporated in Delaware, so there’s a similarly long legal history in Delaware and companies like that boring legal framework to exist in.

So Elon’s totally going to switch to Texas and put a dog on the board of directors.

More importantly, Delaware has a specialized business court that's an expert in Delaware's corporate law and history, and can handle complicated corporate issues quicker and more consistently than ordinary civil courts can, relying extensively on that long legal history which helps to make very clear where the law should fall in a given case.

This is the court that ruled against Musk today and has him so mad that he's pretending he's going to move Tesla out of Delaware. It's also the same court that forced him to buy Twitter after he signed an ironclad contract and then tried to back out anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Main Paineframe posted:

More importantly, Delaware has a specialized business court that's an expert in Delaware's corporate law and history, and can handle complicated corporate issues quicker and more consistently than ordinary civil courts can, relying extensively on that long legal history which helps to make very clear where the law should fall in a given case.

This is the court that ruled against Musk today and has him so mad that he's pretending he's going to move Tesla out of Delaware. It's also the same court that forced him to buy Twitter after he signed an ironclad contract and then tried to back out anyway.

Do they accept fruit baskets?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

trevorreznik posted:

But your response does kind of go to my question - are people defining culture by food variety? It can't be that simple, because plenty of inner ring suburbs have phenomenal food variety yet are disdained.

The point I think I'm slowly working towards is that culture isn't a thing people are interested in - they just want to be by lots of other people for both jobs and socialization. The quality of museums, fine arts, etc doesn't matter too much, they'll find something they enjoy doing whether it's backpacking, fishing, nightclubs, comedy shows, etc.

I posted the realtor listings that they used to get the median price for Industry in that article. This one in particular the pictures look like heavy-handed environmental storytelling:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/824-S-Penn-St_Muncie_IN_47302_M42112-29469

There's blue tape on some first floor windows, some plastic covering a different window next to an abandoned walker, a piece of splintery wood with "FLOOR" spray painted on it in black, a lone minion blanket draped over something, just the headboard of a bed.

Imagine being the realtor that has to take these pictures, because whoever is paying for the listing didn't even want to bother paying for junk removal or a window repair before listing it. The attitude is basically "why bother, someone will just break it again and camp out before we get anyone to come look at it"

To be clear, I'm not saying Muncie as a whole is bleak to that degree - but the part of town that isn't bleak costs minimum 3x as much. The house we lived in when I was in elementary school sold for like $30k and it was two stories with a huge number of sq ft, the house we moved into was one story with a smaller footprint and cost something like $100k. Like Staluigi said, you get what you pay for - in this case, the house we moved out of was 100 years old and the house we moved into was like 20ish. The house we moved away from was next to the Marathon station that constantly got robbed, the place we moved into was walking distance to the university campus.

I lived there a long while, and there were things about Muncie that are decently cool, but I still got the hell out once I had enough independence to do so - I couchsurfed in Boston to avoid living in Indiana any longer than I had to, because even in a college town that had a modicum of cultural events and locations, it was miserable to be gay there. It wasn't even an issue of any active hate, there's just no nightlife and I had no role models for how to be a successful gay and out adult

Edit: also, let's be clear, you are talking about inner-ring suburbs and that is just not the conversation when we are talking about Muncie - Muncie IS the "city", with that piddly 65k population, it's not a suburb of Indianapolis or Cincinnati. It's the center of the Muncie metropolitan area, which has shrunk 5% since 2010: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_Indiana

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 31, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I only assume the Daily Mail has more up to date information on the beheading of a Government Employee is because they helped cause it.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USCE 2023: I was hoping for a little less Nurgle and Khorne and a lot more Slaanesh

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

What's remarkable about this whole Republican jihad against Taylor Swift is that this is absolutely about the worst loving thing that Republicans can do. Any damage that they may try to do against her will be taken personally by her fans, and the best way to get back at Republicans is to make sure they don't win. I know I'm perpetually bullish about Democrats' chances in 2024 but this seems really bad for Republicans. What are they thinking? The best thing to do is to keep this feud going into 2025. I don't give a drat about football but I want to Chiefs to destroy whoever they're playing at the Superbowl. What are they thinking?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Huh, I thought the TSwift stuff would just be twitter shitheads but it's basically on every news site

I'm sure the NFL will be happy to know that half the country is about to think they rig the results of the Superbowl lol

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Going after Taylor Swift seems like such an own goal. I don't see any value in attacking one of the most popular pop artists in the country, but maybe that's why I'm not a GOP strategist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

koolkal posted:

Huh, I thought the TSwift stuff would just be twitter shitheads but it's basically on every news site

I'm sure the NFL will be happy to know that half the country* is about to think they rig the results of the Superbowl lol

roughly 40% of people who vote

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shooting Blanks posted:

Going after Taylor Swift seems like such an own goal. I don't see any value in attacking one of the most popular pop artists in the country, but maybe that's why I'm not a GOP strategist.

I'm not sure if they're trying to do the usual whipping up the base crap (seemed to have worked when they went apeshit over Dylan Mulvaney), if they're assuming she'll come out for Biden and hope to undercut that by striking first, or really are just mad because some Dem woman is more popular than their boss.

It's a terrible idea regardless because they're risking switching her from making a gram post saying "I'm ridin with Biden" or whatever to actually making campaign appearances for him, and they're risking getting her fans to bother their asses to register and vote. I would definitely question the wisdom of encouraging a voting cohort who already sides massively against you to get a lot more interested in voting, and doubly so when they're renowned for not typically being an engaged voting demographic, but like you I'm not a big shot GOP strategist. (I presume they're calculating that nobody is going to be moved to voting just because their fave pop star is attacked, but I wouldn't place anything I couldn't afford to lose on thay bet, personally)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

small butter posted:

What's remarkable about this whole Republican jihad against Taylor Swift is that this is absolutely about the worst loving thing that Republicans can do. Any damage that they may try to do against her will be taken personally by her fans, and the best way to get back at Republicans is to make sure they don't win. I know I'm perpetually bullish about Democrats' chances in 2024 but this seems really bad for Republicans. What are they thinking? The best thing to do is to keep this feud going into 2025. I don't give a drat about football but I want to Chiefs to destroy whoever they're playing at the Superbowl. What are they thinking?

Because it’s all true believer cultists now or people in fear of them. Chuds are mad at swift for being more popular then their god trump and for not bending the knee plus being a powerful woman, it’s also a bunch of chuds rebelling that they are no longer the marketable majority for media anymore.

volts5000 posted:

PA is loving nuts somedays. Also full of insane chuds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They know that Swift will endorse Biden, and are trying to undercut it via flooding the narrative with conspiracy theories. Less to weaken the turnout of her fans, who it seems they believe are cult followers and not just fans, more to sever any effect they may have on their brainwormed parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and others. It just the continuation of the ongoing isolation and solitude of their base who are being betrayed by all their woke genderfluid commie family.

The real miscalculation is the two parts of believing that Swifties are a brainwashed cult, and that they would somehow change the minds of the elders in their social circles with the gospel of Tay Tay.

Also kind of weird to come at Chiefs fans, who make up vast swaths of your flyover country base.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, Swift fans are not necessarily that young

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

koolkal posted:

I'm sure the NFL will be happy to know that half the country is about to think they rig the results of the Superbowl lol

Heh, right for the wrong reasons once again

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I was expecting to see that Delaware had zero corporate taxes or something, but it's actually 8% or so while other states have none.

That seems like kind of a big benefit to be passing up, are the nebulous "they have a good corporate court" and "inertia" reasons really that compelling?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
She got big starting in like 07. Swifties are old enough to have raised kids who are now voting age Swifties themselves.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The TSwift thing is so fascinating because everyone was so sure she was a closet conservative and I find her to be fairly apolitical. They are so mad that the blue eyed, blonde haired, former country, woman would be in the tank for the conservative movement and basically said, LGBTQ people are people and got people to register to vote and they can never forgive her. Also when she started dating Kelce, there was the initial conversation of what does she get out of the NFL and people rightly pointing out the NFL needs Swift, Swift doesn't need the NFL.

Basically, conservatives hate her because they think she should be on her side.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

trevorreznik posted:

Disdained by who? Goons?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

trevorreznik posted:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Disdained by who? Goons?

I think he is referring to snobby restaurant consumers. A restaurant being located in a suburb would dampen the enthusiasm for a lot of foodies I know, but that's because I live in a pretty large city where everyone can get around my mass transit. The restaurants that care about being cool, if the owners can afford it, would try to stay in the heart of the city.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mooseontheloose posted:

The TSwift thing is so fascinating because everyone was so sure she was a closet conservative and I find her to be fairly apolitical. They are so mad that the blue eyed, blonde haired, former country, woman would be in the tank for the conservative movement and basically said, LGBTQ people are people and got people to register to vote and they can never forgive her. Also when she started dating Kelce, there was the initial conversation of what does she get out of the NFL and people rightly pointing out the NFL needs Swift, Swift doesn't need the NFL.

Basically, conservatives hate her because they think she should be on her side.

You saw this back when she first blew up, all the worst parts of the internet were going nuts about how their Aryan princess had arrived and finally the right had a real celebrity as opposed to the stable of has-beens and creeps they formerly fell back on and whoops, turns out she's actually a decent human and they all lost their poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes that is my exact thinking

She hasn’t endorsed anyone and in the past has focused on voter registration. For some reason on Monday the talking points went out that Taylor Swift was specifically a threat to Trump and/or conservatives as a whole, and that she was now a problem. I think there was some reporting that Trump himself is annoyed at Taylor and thinks it’s politically smart to attack the most influential woman in the US.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Swift is a threat to conservative media. She has influence even in conservative families, so she's a gap in the epistemic closure. That makes the prospect of her breaking ranks (in their view) intolerable. Thus they do what they always do: throw poo poo against the wall until hopefully something sticks.

Even if they don't accomplish much directly, pre-emptively politicizing Swift before she even makes much of a statement serves to vaccinate people against any statement she does make.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shooting Blanks posted:

They have always cherished cancel culture, especially against female artists who get too vocal. Like in 2003 when the Dixie Chicks lead singer criticised the Iraq war. And it was quite effective against a country pop band. TS audience is probably not quite so MAGA minded though...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gort posted:

I was expecting to see that Delaware had zero corporate taxes or something, but it's actually 8% or so while other states have none.

That seems like kind of a big benefit to be passing up, are the nebulous "they have a good corporate court" and "inertia" reasons really that compelling?

It's mainly the Delaware Chancery Court and that they have corporate laws and infrastructure that make it incredibly easy and fluid to do business/legal work there. Things like clear and limited liability rules for corporations and franchise fees are also very attractive to businesses that own a lot of other businesses or franchise out.

Delaware used to be very tax -friendly for banks and credit card companies, but they have been undercut by South Dakota and some other states. So, they are less appealing for tax purposes.

In my personal experience, I've had filings in Delaware Chancery Court get processed in 30 minutes when it takes other states days. If you do basically any kind of civil or corporate legal cases, then you are probably going to have to interact with the Delaware legal system.

Delaware basically reorganized itself in the 1970's to be the sort of pre-eminent legal space for businesses where everyone knows the rules, it works fast, and has legal flexibility. It used to have somewhat low taxes too, but a lot of modern states have 0% (or even negative) corporate tax rates now that weren't a thing in the 70's. That is why South Dakota of all places has so many banks, payday lenders, and credit card companies headquartered there now.

quote:

Here's why more than 60% of Fortune 500 companies are incorporated in Delaware

"[Delaware] has a lot of appeal for basically three main reasons: convenience, flexibility and predictability," Roey Gilberg, corporate counsel for LegalZoom, told CNBC.

One of Delaware's major advantages is its Court of Chancery, which is a separate court system specifically for handling corporate cases.

The court is "widely respected as an authority on business matters trusted by both business and legal communities, honestly, all over the world, as a place where the rules are well developed," Gilberg said.

The predictable case law also gives investors peace of mind. More than 90% of U.S.-based companies that went public in 2021 were registered in Delaware, according to the state.

Delaware law is also attractive to many small businesses.

Cleanster.com, a platform for finding cleaning services for homes and short-term rentals, is incorporated in Delaware despite both co-founders being based in Montreal, Canada.

"When you want to go global and you've incorporated in Canada, no one is going to look at you at all," said Cleanster.com co-founder and CEO Gloria Oppong. "Delaware protects both ourselves, the entrepreneurs, and also the investors eventually that are going to be joining on."

In addition to the attractive court system, Delaware provides some tax incentives for businesses, but saving on taxes may not be enough of an incentive for small businesses to incorporate in Delaware.

"It's a misnomer that Delaware is a tax haven for corporations," said Gigi Tewari, assistant professor at Widener University Delaware Law School. "So many people believe that, I should incorporate my business in Delaware because I'm going to save so much on corporate tax. Actually, Delaware is on the higher end for corporate tax."

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/why...0legal%20cases.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Swift is a threat to conservative media. She has influence even in conservative families, so she's a gap in the epistemic closure. That makes the prospect of her breaking ranks (in their view) intolerable. Thus they do what they always do: throw poo poo against the wall until hopefully something sticks.

Even if they don't accomplish much directly, pre-emptively politicizing Swift before she even makes much of a statement serves to vaccinate people against any statement she does make.

yeah. its also sign that corpo and popular media in general doesnt really like the MAGA GOP and the world isnt 80s through 00s where media bent the knee alot to conservatives because they were viewed as a markatable majority. now most chuds are in their 60s and the younger ones are weird asocial weirdos who got brain poisoned from /pol/. like obviously moderate/boring ones exist but they are tired of the chuds.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The part about the Taylor Swift conspiracy to undermine Donald Trump that I don't get is why they need to rig the Super Bowl in order for her to make her endorsement of Joe Biden.

Are there a ton of Swifties who would do anything she says, but only if her boyfriend is on a winning Super Bowl team? If her plan is to eventually endorse Biden to hurt true patriot Donald J. Trump right before the election, then why can't she just do it regardless of how well her boyfriend's team performed 9 months earlier?

I've read several of the wild articles getting passed around, but none of them ever seem to explain the reason she needs the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl or else she can't endorse Biden.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gort posted:

ooh, tax guy here, I can answer this one.

The only thing Delaware is guaranteed to receive is the annual franchise tax, which I believe can be as low as $175. You may need to file a tax return in DE, but every state has something called apportionment, where you not only tell that state how much you made that year, but also how much business (in terms of sales, employees residing in that state, assets you own in that state) you did in their state.

So, if you incorporate in DE but literally do no business there at all, then you pay them their franchise tax fee and send them a return showing that once again, you owe them no money this year because you did all your business in other states. Apportionment can get complicated where if you do a lot of business in a state that has no tax, then other states may insist that state shouldn't count and so they also should get their share. States can fight you on the apportionment you believe they are due, but regardless if you do no business in a state, you owe them nothing.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The part about the Taylor Swift conspiracy to undermine Donald Trump that I don't get is why they need to rig the Super Bowl in order for her to make her endorsement of Joe Biden.

Are there a ton of Swifties who would do anything she says, but only if her boyfriend is on a winning Super Bowl team? If her plan is to eventually endorse Biden to hurt true patriot Donald J. Trump right before the election, then why can't she just do it regardless of how well her boyfriend's team performed 9 months earlier?

I've read several of the wild articles getting passed around, but none of them ever seem to explain the reason she needs the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl or else she can't endorse Biden.

Because chuds believe assasins creed type secret society war poo poo is real and that the deep state or whatever plays games to gently caress with people and etc. bread and circuses. Qanon has kinda taken over the GOP base so everything is through that sorta lense.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 31, 2024