Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The IRA included incetives for nuclear power and money for research into modular nuclear reactors, but didn't include anything for restarting or constructing new nuclear reactors.

However, it did give the energy department broader authority to issue loans for nuclear power plants.

The DOE is set to announce today that for the first time ever, the U.S. will be reactivating a decommissioned nuclear reactor in Michigan. They also hope to engage New York to reactivate their reactor that was closed down recently, but have no official action or loan offer for that one yet.

They are also looking into ways to prevent about half of the active nuclear power plants in the U.S. that are currently in danger of shuttering from being shut down. No specifics on that portion yet either, though.

https://twitter.com/AriNatter/status/1752471759280890059

quote:

Biden to Offer $1.5 Billion Loan to Restart Michigan Nuclear Power Plant

(Bloomberg) -- The Biden administration is poised to lend $1.5 billion for what what would be the first restart of a shuttered US nuclear reactor, the latest sign of strengthening federal government support for the atomic industry.

The funding, which is set to get conditional backing from the US Energy Department, will be offered as soon as next month to closely held Holtec International Corp. to restart its Palisades nuclear plant in Michigan, according to people familiar with the matter.

Holtec has said a restart of the reactor is contingent on a federal loan. Without such support, the company has said it would decommission the site.

The financing comes as the Biden administration prioritizes maintaining the nation’s fleet of nuclear plants to help meet its ambitious climate goals — including a plan to decarbonize the electricity grid by 2035. More than a dozen reactors have closed since 2013 amid competition from cheaper power from natural gas and renewables, and the Energy Department has warned that as many of half of the nation’s nuclear reactors are at risk of closing due to economic factors.

A spokeswoman for the Energy Department’s Loan Programs Office declined to comment, citing business confidentiality.

Nick Culp, a Holtec spokesman, said the company was “very optimistic” about the Energy Department loan process.

“This is a historic opportunity for the country and Michigan,” Culp said. “As we transition away from fossil fuels, nuclear is going to be a critical part of not only reaching our climate goals but doing so in a way that ensures the lights stay on.”

Holtec acquired the 800-megawatt power plant in 2022 after Entergy Corp. closed it due to financial reasons, but began pushing forward with plans to restart after pleas from Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer.

The Juniper, Florida-based company’s plans for a restart got a boost after Wolverine Power Cooperative, a local power company, agreed to buy as much as two-thirds of the plant’s output starting as soon as late 2025, though additional hurdles, including sign off from federal nuclear regulators, remains.

The funding would be backed by a loan guarantee program designed to revitalize old energy plants that was created in President Joe Biden’s climate law. If successful, Palisades would be the first nuclear reactor financed by the Biden administration.

The announcement, expected in late February, comes as Republicans have targeted the Energy Department loan program as they seek to score a political victory in an election year. But the funding has backing from several Republicans including Michigan Representative Bill Huizenga, who was the led signer of a letter from nine lawmakers urging Energy Secretary Granholm to approve the loan.

“Repowering Palisades could significantly grow the region’s economy, strengthen our domestic energy security, and return safe, reliable, and carbon-free generation back to the electrical grid,” wrote the lawmakers, who included five Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DOE is set to announce today that for the first time ever, the U.S. will be reactivating a decommissioned nuclear reactor in Michigan. They also hope to engage New York to reactivate their reactor that was closed down recently, but have no official action or loan offer for that one yet.

Indian Point? That'd be huge, although I imagine there will still be local opposition.

https://www.city-journal.org/article/the-tragedy-of-indian-point

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that is my exact thinking

She hasn’t endorsed anyone and in the past has focused on voter registration. For some reason on Monday the talking points went out that Taylor Swift was specifically a threat to Trump and/or conservatives as a whole, and that she was now a problem. I think there was some reporting that Trump himself is annoyed at Taylor and thinks it’s politically smart to attack the most influential woman in the US.

She has previously endorsed Democrats including Joe Biden in 2020 and has specifically called out Trump just earlier last year. While she has previously been apolitical, she took a ton of heat for it in the Trump era and has been more vocal as a result.

And we're now a post-Dobbs world now so I think it's likely she ends up endorsing even more Dems this year, provided their warmongering isn't such a turnoff to her fanbase.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 31, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Cantonese posted:

Indian Point? That'd be huge, although I imagine there will still be local opposition.

https://www.city-journal.org/article/the-tragedy-of-indian-point

Yeah, I don't know if they have any concrete plans for that one because the issue with it wasn't financial. Seems unlikely there is much they can do unless NY reverses course.

The other 50% of nuclear reactors are more likely success stories.

Or if anything cost-effective ever comes out of the modular reactor research.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Going after Taylor Swift seems like such an own goal. I don't see any value in attacking one of the most popular pop artists in the country, but maybe that's why I'm not a GOP strategist.

These are the same kinds of geniuses that gave DeSantis the idea of trying to legally persecute Disney in Florida. Not exactly bringing their best.

Part of the problem is that the base has gotten so out of tune with the rest of the populace. Fringe movements want to pick fights with powerful people and entities, because they believe that the powerful are both persecuting them and destroying America. Disney is an enormously powerful media corporation, but that's exactly why they want to pick a fight with it: they believe that all the social trends they hate are being forced upon the nation by powerful forces like Disney. Pretty much the same goes for Swift - the more popular she is, the more important it is for them to fight her and defeat her before she can poison society by convincing people that trans rights exist.

Obviously, that isn't necessarily a great strategy for winning general elections, but they're not really even thinking about that. I never really liked the term "culture war" because it trivializes a lot of important civil rights stuff, but that's absolutely what's going on right now: they're waging a war for control of American culture, they think it'll be an easy victory because they're right and everyone else is wrong, and they figure that the general election will work itself out in their favor (and if it doesn't it'll be solely because lyin' Biden stole the election again).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Child Tax Credit expansion/Business Tax Credit Extension bill is officially coming to a floor vote in the House today.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1752704314710384993

Also, Krysten Sinema filed her campaign finance paperwork for this quarter. She only raised $64k, which is a huge drop from her usual hauls. However, she does still have nearly $11 million cash on hand. The low quarterly fundraising seems to indicate she may not run for re-election, but her huge cash supply and fundraising network means that isn't necessarily predictive of anything.

She still hasn't announced if she will run for re-election as an independent, but she has to file paperwork by April.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 31, 2024

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

It's mainly the Delaware Chancery Court and that they have corporate laws and infrastructure that make it incredibly easy and fluid to do business/legal work there. Things like clear and limited liability rules for corporations and franchise fees are also very attractive to businesses that own a lot of other businesses or franchise out.

Delaware used to be very tax -friendly for banks and credit card companies, but they have been undercut by South Dakota and some other states. So, they are less appealing for tax purposes.

In my personal experience, I've had filings in Delaware Chancery Court get processed in 30 minutes when it takes other states days. If you do basically any kind of civil or corporate legal cases, then you are probably going to have to interact with the Delaware legal system.

Delaware basically reorganized itself in the 1970's to be the sort of pre-eminent legal space for businesses where everyone knows the rules, it works fast, and has legal flexibility. It used to have somewhat low taxes too, but a lot of modern states have 0% (or even negative) corporate tax rates now that weren't a thing in the 70's. That is why South Dakota of all places has so many banks, payday lenders, and credit card companies headquartered there now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/why...0legal%20cases.

Rigel posted:

ooh, tax guy here, I can answer this one.

The only thing Delaware is guaranteed to receive is the annual franchise tax, which I believe can be as low as $175. You may need to file a tax return in DE, but every state has something called apportionment, where you not only tell that state how much you made that year, but also how much business (in terms of sales, employees residing in that state, assets you own in that state) you did in their state.

So, if you incorporate in DE but literally do no business there at all, then you pay them their franchise tax fee and send them a return showing that once again, you owe them no money this year because you did all your business in other states. Apportionment can get complicated where if you do a lot of business in a state that has no tax, then other states may insist that state shouldn't count and so they also should get their share. States can fight you on the apportionment you believe they are due, but regardless if you do no business in a state, you owe them nothing.

Thanks for these excellent answers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Also, Krysten Sinema filed her campaign finance paperwork for this quarter. She only raised $64k, which is a huge drop from her usually hauls. However, she does still have nearly $11 million cash on hand. The low quarterly fundraising seems to indicate she may not run for re-election, but her huge cash supply and fundraising network means that isn't necessarily predictive of anything.

She still hasn't announced if she will run for re-election as an independent, but she has to file paperwork by April.

If she doesn't run for reelection, what happens to that $11M she has on hand? I'm assuming that's already earmarked as campaign funds and can't be redirected into her personal bank accounts...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Main Paineframe posted:

These are the same kinds of geniuses that gave DeSantis the idea of trying to legally persecute Disney in Florida. Not exactly bringing their best.

Part of the problem is that the base has gotten so out of tune with the rest of the populace. Fringe movements want to pick fights with powerful people and entities, because they believe that the powerful are both persecuting them and destroying America. Disney is an enormously powerful media corporation, but that's exactly why they want to pick a fight with it: they believe that all the social trends they hate are being forced upon the nation by powerful forces like Disney. Pretty much the same goes for Swift - the more popular she is, the more important it is for them to fight her and defeat her before she can poison society by convincing people that trans rights exist.

Obviously, that isn't necessarily a great strategy for winning general elections, but they're not really even thinking about that. I never really liked the term "culture war" because it trivializes a lot of important civil rights stuff, but that's absolutely what's going on right now: they're waging a war for control of American culture, they think it'll be an easy victory because they're right and everyone else is wrong, and they figure that the general election will work itself out in their favor (and if it doesn't it'll be solely because lyin' Biden stole the election again).

i think the base has deeply internalized the "silent majority" poo poo and still think its the era of Reagan where social conservatism of various stripes WAS the norm. but times have obviously changed and they have kinda lost the war mostly because of generational change and obgerfell and the internet has connected more people. I come from the same area swift did and its a pretty conservative area. the internet and meeting new people made me pretty drat socially left. U40 people are like that mostly. to me, the GOP has lost the war and all they can do is hurt as many people as possible in red and purple states before the implode further or are forced to changing tactics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

If she doesn't run for reelection, what happens to that $11M she has on hand? I'm assuming that's already earmarked as campaign funds and can't be redirected into her personal bank accounts...

You can do any of the following with it:

- Donate it to another political campaign/PAC.
- Donate it to a charity.
- Refund the donations.
- Hold on to the donations in the campaign account in case you ever want to run for office again.

There's no timeline for it, so they can do it over as long a period as they want. They just can't take it out unless they run for office again.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A bunch of social media CEOs are testifying in Congress right now over how to keep kids safe on social media. So get ready for more hilarious boomer questions from the geriatric congresspeople.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Also, Krysten Sinema filed her campaign finance paperwork for this quarter. She only raised $64k, which is a huge drop from her usually hauls. However, she does still have nearly $11 million cash on hand. The low quarterly fundraising seems to indicate she may not run for re-election, but her huge cash supply and fundraising network means that isn't necessarily predictive of anything.

I think Sinema expected to be in a very different position vis a vis her own race, where even if she wasn't at the top she'd be a spoiler who could extract concessions by running. But polls have her as an also-ran who is drawing more from the Republican candidate (Lake) than Gallego. The border bill she's been a key negotiator on is in jeopardy as well, which she wants to either show to voters as a boost (won't help) or show to prospective employers that she can get things done in Washington (please hire me as a lobbyist).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Charliegrs posted:

A bunch of social media CEOs are testifying in Congress right now over how to keep kids safe on social media. So get ready for more hilarious boomer questions from the geriatric congresspeople.

Congressional hearings aren't even fun any more, there don't seem to be as many inane questions as there are "Gotcha!" questions. The difference between these CEOs and the university presidents is that everyone being questioned today will have been thoroughly prepared - and most of them have probably given Congressional testimony at least once in their careers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The reason they are letting the child tax credit/business tax credit bill get a floor vote is that some conservatives and some Republicans from New York got a commitment to vote on a standalone SALT bill next week.

The bill would double the SALT deduction limit (from $10,000 to $20,000) if you are married filing jointly because under current law you get a smaller deduction if you file taxes jointly than if you do it separately.

Not clear what the votes are going to look like for this one or how likely it is to pass. Seems like it will have a good shot at passing the House because it will probably get most of the House Republican votes and a bunch of Democratic votes from places in NY, NJ, CA, and TX.

Not clear what it looks like in the Senate.

https://twitter.com/LauraEWeiss16/status/1752712493489652013

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i made the usce 2024 thread because the mods have not. you're welcome

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
snip, go to the new thread for the news.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 31, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If all of these tax bills pass, then the cumulative changes for this tax year would be:

- $400 more refundable tax credit per child.

- The child tax credit amount will start scaling with inflation after 2025, rounded up to the nearest $100.

- You can use your current year or last year's income to determine eligibility for the child tax credit and take the lower amount.

- Small businesses can write off double the amount of depreciation through 2025.

- Renews business tax credits for research and development costs, interest payments, and capital investments from the Trump tax bill that were set to expire until 2025.

- Removes the "marriage penalty" for the SALT deduction and allows you to get double the credit if you file jointly (no changes to the actual SALT credit amount or cap) instead of needing to file your taxes separately to claim the credit for each person.

There are also provisions for housing subsidies, but those are not going to impact individual or business income taxes this year.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Congressional hearings aren't even fun any more, there don't seem to be as many inane questions as there are "Gotcha!" questions. The difference between these CEOs and the university presidents is that everyone being questioned today will have been thoroughly prepared - and most of them have probably given Congressional testimony at least once in their careers.

I don't know I thought it was pretty funny when they had the CEO of Tiktok testify. I remember one boomer rear end Congress person asking something like "DOES TIKTOK USE WIFI??" like it was some kind of gotcha question.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

- $400 more refundable tax credit per child.

Is this regardless of your income? And is this just shifting what is refundable and non-refundable in the $2000 available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?