Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I agree with this quite a bit, although I think that there's a few points from my side of things

1) People are holding onto houses for longer so you end up with neighborhoods with wildly different demographics in it. I like my neighbors but also they're like 65 years old and not really good at MarioKart. But at the same time I can rely on them when push comes to shove and they can rely on me.

2) A lot of the issue with your immediate neighbors is that if you don't put effort into maintaining a positive relationship with them then your only experiences will be when there is a problem, and if every conversation with a person is a negative one then you aren't likely to go out of your way to improve your relationship.

I see the same thing in the houses I grew up in. My stepmom/dad and stepdad/mom both live in the same town, in different neighborhoods for 30-40 years. One neighborhood has more people moving in/out because it is right next to an elementary school so kids can walk to school and back, the other is far enough away that elementary school kids need to be driven/get the school bus (I mean, maybe some could but second graders walking a half hour to school isn't common here) so there has been less change. One stays younger, one just gets older and older, at least from my perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From what I'm seeing, Hale was not a transgender woman, he was a transgender man. Audrey Hale was his deadname, and he's been incorrectly (/ideologically) misidentified as a woman.

I mean, rest in piss, child murderer scum, but it's disappointing to see this kind of stuff getting screwed up...

Source:

The Independent posted:

The woman who killed six people, including three children, at a Christian elementary school in Nashville, Tennessee has been identified as Audrey Elizabeth Hale.

The 28-year-old, who is believed to be a former student at Covenant Presbyterian Church School, was shot dead by police on an upper floor of the school.

She had shot open a side door before opening fire on students and staff with two assault-style rifles and a handgun.

Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake said Hale was not believed to have any previous criminal record.

He said a “manifesto” and a map of the school grounds showing entrances had been found at her home.

Asked at a press conference whether there was anything found in a police search of Hale’s apartment that could have suggested a motive for such a horrific crime, Chief Drake said: “We have a manifesto, we have some writings we’re going over that pertain to this day, the actual incident.

“We have a map drawn out of how this was all going to take place.

“There’s right now a theory that we may be able to talk about later but it’s not confirmed, and so we’ll put that out as soon as we can.”

Hale reportedly identified as transgender and used the pronouns he / him. In answer to a question as to whether this might have any bearing on a motive, Chief Drake said: “There is some theory to that. We’re investigating all the leads and once we know exactly, we will let you know.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/audrey-hale-nashville-school-shooting-b2309043.html

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So you know, if you were feeling a little bummed out about women getting in the mass shooting game, that's a bit of good news, I guess?????

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'd say that that particular angle should be treated with skepticism til there are more details. There have already been fake posts about the shooter being trans from the first second the shooting hit the news.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Never trust the police's narrative. Don't make me tap the sign.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
They do it every time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnst...as-transgender/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Zophar posted:

Never trust the police's narrative. Don't make me tap the sign.

Police lie, don't believe anything for at least 24 hours.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm also not about to listen to a single word the British press has to say on the subject.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah sorry to have presented that as authoritative. Definitely prudent to wait for more information. It's already been faked once before, and, yeah, it's the UK press, so any anti-trans angle will be fervently pursued.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You're fine, it's going to be blamed on trans people by the usual suspects anyway.

In other news, since this thread brought it up I've heard two people independent of anything else bring up pickleball today. Big Pickleball has finally made its move.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I really wish that for all mass shootings, they didn't give any attention at all to the shooter. Just simply refer to them as "the shooter" and focus on the victims. Keep track of all the other info for research purposes, but don't present them to the general public.

Mass shootings happen because someone wants to make a statement (and maybe sbc), and the news broadcasting who they were, speculating on why they did it, transcribing their manifesto in whole if there is one, and generally giving all the attention to the killer instead of the victims and survivors (both at the shooting, and the victims' families). Mostly all we hear about the victims is statistics and that "the community is healing."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Velocity Raptor posted:

I really wish that for all mass shootings, they didn't give any attention at all to the shooter. Just simply refer to them as "the shooter" and focus on the victims. Keep track of all the other info for research purposes, but don't present them to the general public.

Mass shootings happen because someone wants to make a statement (and maybe sbc), and the news broadcasting who they were, speculating on why they did it, transcribing their manifesto in whole if there is one, and generally giving all the attention to the killer instead of the victims and survivors (both at the shooting, and the victims' families). Mostly all we hear about the victims is statistics and that "the community is healing."
I know when there was that bad massacre in Australia or NZ a couple of years ago the media there would not release the person's name or their manifesto. Unfortunately our press here in the US just helps to feed into this poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
who cares about what's good for everyone man, look at the ratings!!!!!!!!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Times and Daily Beast have quotes from friends and family that cement that the shooter is AFAB.

Anyway, Conservatives still think the nightclub shooter is an enby although he apparently dropped that once it was clear he was still facing hate crime charges. So any new information won't matter much. Damage is done.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kalit posted:

For your question about the USA, gun control legislation isn't being passed for a myriad of reasons. Off the top of my head, the leading causes is probably something along the lines of:
  • The gun lobby is still really powerful
  • The second amendment makes the ideological discussion for gun control harder (but, as we know, SCOTUS has placed limitations on 2A)
  • Guns are [incorrectly] viewed as a useful tool for protection. While historically this was much more common in the right leaning communities, it's been taken off recently in the left leaning communities

Complicating this:

• The "gun lobby" is powerful because it doesn't actually consist of the companies selling guns, or at this point even the NRA, both of whom are pretty small money and don't do much in the way of political contribution. It's rather tens of millions of people who are personally invested and politically engaged in gun ownership. Whatever you think of them and their fear of going to Walmart unarmed, they vote every election and look at every politician's gun stances when they do. And they can and have thrown gun companies and organizations who back gun control under the bus, which is a big part of why gun manufacturers stopped being one of the big backers of gun control law.
  • Proposed gun laws tend to be pushed by people who say, "Oh, don't worry, we're not coming to take your guns!" to pro-gun people and then turn around and say "Actually, once they're used to that we'll take their guns" to anti-gun people. And the people who want their guns absolutely notice and remember enough that they wouldn't trust someone who actually meant it any more.
  • Gun control advocates in the US, despite being mostly on the left, still have a laser focus on playbooks created by social conservatives as part of moral panics and gun companies as part of anti-competitive regulatory schemes, based largely on whatever guns or other elements are big in the media or personally scary rather than what really racks up the body count. Approaches used in Canada or other places that focus more on handguns than rifles and specifically more on the small cheap pistols that are favored by criminals are routinely called "not meaningful gun control" here because oh god they make a .50 caliber pistol that thing is huge and do you know what rifle bullets can do??

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Yeah, like some people still think Pulse was an anti-gay attack. We should try not to form narratives until the facts are confirmed.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lester Holt and NBC just went out of there way twice to mention that today's school shooter was "Trans" and even asked the Nashville Police Chief if that had anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NYT is reporting that the shooter was known as a woman in college in 2016, is still biologically female, and still legally had their female name from birth.

The information about them being transgender is from a LinkedIn profile they had where they list their pronouns as "he/him" and may have gone by a different name with some people. The shooter's father still referred to them as their daughter (although, that doesn't necessarily mean anything because they might not have been out to their father or their father didn't acknowledge it). So, it seems like there is some evidence that they are a trans, but nothing definitive is public right now. It is mostly based on a comment from someone who knew them and their LinkedIn profile.

Nothing from the manifesto is public. The police say they are investigating every lead and the manifesto, but don't have any evidence that gender identity was related to the shooting.

The shooter also planned to shoot up a second location (that was not made public), but decided against it because there were armed guards.

quote:

The attacker who fatally shot three children and three staff members at a Nashville school on Monday was identified as a former student at the school who the police said appeared to have written a manifesto about the attack and drawn maps of the campus.

The shooter, identified as Audrey E. Hale, was killed by police officers who responded to the shooting at the Covenant School, a small, private Christian school that is attached to a church and serves children from pre-school through sixth grade.

The Nashville police chief, John Drake, said the police had found maps of the school that were drawn “in detail” and which noted the location of school surveillance cameras, entry points and other features. He said the police were in touch with the shooter’s father, and that it was not immediately clear when the assailant had attended the school.

The attacker entered the school by shooting through one of the doors, the authorities said, and was armed with three guns, including an AR-style rifle, an AR-style pistol and a handgun. At least two were purchased legally in the Nashville area, the police said.

The assailant was “prepared for a confrontation with law enforcement” and “prepared to do more harm” before being killed, Mr. Drake said.

There was confusion about the gender identity of the assailant in the immediate aftermath of the attack. Officials used “she” and “her” to refer to the shooter, and Chief Drake said that the assailant identified as transgender.

Kristin Mumford, a police spokeswoman, said that the shooter had been born female but listed male pronouns on a LinkedIn profile, which suggested that the suspect was a transgender man. That profile had been active in recent months, with the user reacting to two posts about other people’s career updates.

In response to a reporter’s question about whether the attacker’s gender identity was connected to the shooting, Chief Drake said, “We’re investigating all the leads.”

The attacker was an illustrator and graphic designer who had studied at the Nossi College of Art and Design, according to a former teacher and an online portfolio.

“She just always was a kind of quiet girl but was very serious about her work,” said Steve LaSuer, an instructor at the school who had taught the attacker in a design and composition in 2015 or 2016. Mr. LaSuer said he had been stunned by Monday’s developments. “It’s blown me away,” he said.

The online portfolio included illustrations related to businesses around Nashville, including logos and splashy advertisements for a restaurant, a toy store and a video company. Beginning last May, the shooter worked as a shopper for a grocery delivery company, according to a LinkedIn profile.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/us/nashville-school-shooting-audrey-hale.html

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

Lester Holt and NBC just went out of there way twice to mention that today's school shooter was "Trans" and even asked the Nashville Police Chief if that had anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

I had the same reaction to hearing that. What a stupid loving question. You wouldn't ask the cops if mass shooting #67309 had anything to do with the shooter being a straight white cis dude, would you?

Also I was reminded that just a week or two ago, Tucker Carlson did a segment on the danger of trans people who are arming themselves in self defense. This has the potential to get really ugly.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The shooter also planned to shoot up a second location (that was not made public), but decided against it because there were armed guards.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/us/nashville-school-shooting-audrey-hale.html

The chuds are gonna latch hard onto this

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So if the people that chuds don't like both start arming themselves for self defense and also committing mass shootings I wonder if chuds will change their stance on gun control from 100% against to gun control for only certain types of people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They’ll just switch to supporting universal open carry

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Charliegrs posted:

So if the people that chuds don't like both start arming themselves for self defense and also committing mass shootings I wonder if chuds will change their stance on gun control from 100% against to gun control for only certain types of people.

That was a solution for a different era of conservatism and died when Reagan forgot who he was. The most you can say today is that they'll lean harder into making sure that certain types of people are too afraid to be executed by police to carry a gun, which requires no actual gun control laws.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Support for gun ownership has always been highly conditional, most take their cue from Dubbya and the more right-leaning of Dems and file it away as "they're basically terrorists and so don't count as citizens because they hate are freedoms so shouldn't get are freedoms"

Conservatism in general precludes any universality, without exception. It's never had a theoretical basis or proponents within the movement.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i would just expect them to lean heavier on stand-your-ground, castle-doctrine, and especially trans panic laws

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Elizabeth Warren ANNOUNCES senate re election bid!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/senator-elizabeth-warren-massachusetts-reelection/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

That's already their stance. The GOP's been increasingly determined to portray gun violence as a mental health issue rather than a gun availability issue, and there's plenty of them who regard "being trans" as a mental health issue. I'm sure they'd eagerly connect those two together and sign a bill banning gun ownership by trans people, while also using the mass shootings as an excuse to crack down even further on trans people in general.

Not that they need to pass a law saying that explicitly. After all, minorities are already disproportionately disenfranchised of their 2nd Amendment rights, because they're disproportionately likely to be convicted of a felony (which renders it illegal for them to possess a firearm).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

That's already their stance. The GOP's been increasingly determined to portray gun violence as a mental health issue rather than a gun availability issue, and there's plenty of them who regard "being trans" as a mental health issue. I'm sure they'd eagerly connect those two together and sign a bill banning gun ownership by trans people, while also using the mass shootings as an excuse to crack down even further on trans people in general.

Not that they need to pass a law saying that explicitly. After all, minorities are already disproportionately disenfranchised of their 2nd Amendment rights, because they're disproportionately likely to be convicted of a felony (which renders it illegal for them to possess a firearm).

The modern right tends to push really hard on anything that makes it easier to take away guns (especially long term) over mental health issues, largely due to anxiety about the idea of doctors saying someone is mentally ill because they like guns. Or are a God-fearing Christian patriot, or whatever the liberal psychology professor would swear to the activist judge in the Facebook post. Similarly, even though leaving gun permits up to the judgement of the county sheriff is historically just a way to keep poor people and minorities unarmed, white conservative gun owners are acutely aware that may-issue laws can be used against them too and have vigorously and successfully worked to get them overturned even in places where they don't need to worry about that.

The only time this century I recall anyone pushing to make gun ownership more conditional by law was the push to extend the no-fly list to guns, and that was not particularly a right-wing proposal. Seriously, those strategies are a relic of an era where the right thought guns that weren't woodgrain longarms or cowboy revolvers meant you were some kind of commie agitator.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

, is still biologically female
Hon, this is kind of a nonsense phrase. Those who medically transition can take on secondary sexual characteristics like a deeper voice, facial hair, flatter chest, more muscle mass, etc, but also still having other secondary characteristics like a uterus, vulva, occasional period, etc. The phrase that matches best the idea you're trying to express is "they have not medically transitioned" which is honestly neither here nor there in the matter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm really afraid for the anti-Trans backlash that will come from this

How could it be worse than it already is? I mean, it can easily be worse, but we were going there anyway because trans people are convenient targets. Before this, they were using drag shows as justification. I think the difference this makes in the long run will be marginal. It’s not like a single school shooting can be a Reichstag fire event in a country with hundreds of mass shooting a year. And our nazis are already in power and doing whatever they want right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is they have to push that bill through the Senate and it's very likely, given Democrat control, any Republican gun control on "mental illness" will have that definition expanded to include legitimate red flags that the Dems want in such a gun control policy, like backgrounds in domestic violence and antisocial behavior. It would likely just bounce around Congress until it dies. I know MTG and the Freedom Fryers would not want her name attached as sponsor to something that becomes the AWB 2.0, even if it hurts trans people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hon, this is kind of a nonsense phrase. Those who medically transition can take on secondary sexual characteristics like a deeper voice, facial hair, flatter chest, more muscle mass, etc, but also still having other secondary characteristics like a uterus, vulva, occasional period, etc. The phrase that matches best the idea you're trying to express is "they have not medically transitioned" which is honestly neither here nor there in the matter.

Right, I was just repeating what the NYT was saying in regards to evidence of them being transgender. The NYT says there "is confusion" about their gender identity and listed the various things that may have pointed to it and the various things that may not. So far, the only actual evidence is the LinkedIn profile and people are just going off of that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If the right wanted to frame gun violence as a mental health issue, that would be awesome. Perhaps they could advocate for access to affordable mental healthcare for everyone, rather than a luxury industry that people get to self-select for and pay for themselves. I think what makes the right even more monstrous is that not only do they not care that gun ownership is a major factor, but they clearly have no interest in addressing the mental health issues they claim are the root causes of the problem. It's a position that seems to say, 'we acknowledge that some people are disturbed enough to kill people but we are completely ambivalent about stopping that.' And implies, 'people who have mental health issues should be found and eradicated before they can strike' or perhaps a more nihilistic and lazy, 'poo poo happens.'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re not ambivalent about it. They like the mass shootings because they create opportunities to further their policy goals. Look for a big push toward armed private security in all public places. Even if that fails, every school shooting erodes confidence in the idea of public education—even though this happened at a private school.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You all really gotta hammer it into your heads and those around you that hypocrisy is not a problem for the right, it's a solution to problems. They love doing it and they love how it makes liberals waste their time and effort and money trying to appeal to principles they don't actually have, only advertise the appearance of having.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nashville PD just released video of the shooter, the school, their car, and how they broke into the school.

They also confirmed that the three children that died were all 9 years old and one of them was the head of the school's daughter.

Still no info about the manifesto or motive.

All three of the guns were legally purchased in Tennessee recently.

https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640507254611795968
https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640521034594918400
https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640545519511404546

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

As far as the linked in profile thing, its really weak. If you were really struggling to get a career off the ground, to the point where its actually worsening your mental health, you might try some desperate crap. Male profiles just get better hits on linked-in from male recruiters.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/linkedin-study-reveals-why-men-are-more-likely-to-get-noticed-by-job-recruiters-than-women.html

I don't think its a strong indicator, and I don't think we're ever likely to get decently credible confirmation about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Mayor just said that the shooter was waiting on the second floor for the police and shot at them from a window when they arrived at the scene. Body cam footage will be released tomorrow.

The police chief also said that based on their writings "resentment about being sent to this school" may have played a role in it being chosen as one of their targets. The shooter was not targeting specific people, though. They fired randomly at whoever they came into contact with.

The three adult victims were a 61-year old male janitor, a 60-year old woman who was the head of the school, and a "caretaker" assigned to students with special needs.

The shooter was dead 14 minutes after the 911 call was made and 3 minutes after police arrived.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...tw_ma#rcrd11683

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nashville PD just released video of the shooter, the school, their car, and how they broke into the school.

They also confirmed that the three children that died were all 9 years old and one of them was the head of the school's daughter.

Still no info about the manifesto or motive.

All three of the guns were legally purchased in Tennessee recently.

https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640507254611795968
https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640521034594918400
https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1640545519511404546

Anybody recognize the symbols drawn onto those guns? I remember that nazbol shooter a few years ago did something similar. The taped-on vinyl sticker and Kirby decal on the car say we’re dealing with a pathetic nerd. That x with the circle around it looks like christian identity poo poo, but I don’t really know what I’m talking about there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

One of them resembles a wheel or white cross which could be a white supremacist image but unfortunately is so ubiquitous I'd be hesitant to say so without further information.