Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
With all these chemical spills and train derailments happening lately, is this indicative of a bigger problem currently happening, or is it just frequency bias and the fact that these things are what people are paying attention to currently?

It's kinda concerning that accidental environmental destruction from negligence is happening more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Main Paineframe posted:

This is kind of a long-standing problem with handling large-scale disasters where the population might need to temporarily change their behavior in a way that disrupts their lives.

From the POV of pure public health and safety, if you're not really sure whether something needs a response or not, you'd probably want to opt on the safe side and warn people that a response is likely necessary. In theory, anyway. But in practice, there's a big worry that people will hate it if things turn out lucky and said response ended up being unnecessary.

It's a big dilemma in severe weather forecasting, for example. If forecasters predict a severe storm is coming and urge the populace to take precautions, and then the winds change and the storm doesn't hit there or is a lot weaker than expected, people take that as meaning that the weather forecasting is unreliable. And the bigger the disruption is, the more reluctant officials can be to recommend that disruption. Nobody wants to recommend an evacuation only for the hurricane to turn on a dime and completely miss the area, but at the same time, a last-minute evacuation recommendation is useless.

Similar to this, but even stuff that proper precautions were taken and the crisis was properly mitigated to the point where no one was disrupted also causes people to think that the issue wasn't a big deal to begin with.

We've seen this with the threat of acid rain in the 80s and 90s, and the Y2K bug. People all came together to address the issue and the result was a minor disruption for the general public with Y2K, and with acid rain, the threat being properly mitigated.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zotix posted:

Don't go into the comments on the Fox news article.

Got curious and checked it out and there is a flurry of comments and replies happening right now. Most of it is exactly what you'd expect, but there were a few gems that stood out.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USCE Spring 2023 - understand guns don't kill people guns kill people. Period - end of story.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

A big flaming stink posted:

Infrastructure week continues mercilessly

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1640423514887864323?t=SLrHn9dgH64cZtQ6d4Wvzw&s=19

Just reported on this part hour, anyone around kelso, Cali should probably get the gently caress away from rail lines right now

Jesus, was just about to post this, since there were two other derailments today. one in some Chicago suburbs and another in North Dakota. The Chicago one was just carrying wheat, but the SD one spilled hazardous chemicals.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/canadian-pacific-train-derails-near-chicago

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3920140-train-derails-spilling-hazardous-materials-in-north-dakota/

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I really wish that for all mass shootings, they didn't give any attention at all to the shooter. Just simply refer to them as "the shooter" and focus on the victims. Keep track of all the other info for research purposes, but don't present them to the general public.

Mass shootings happen because someone wants to make a statement (and maybe sbc), and the news broadcasting who they were, speculating on why they did it, transcribing their manifesto in whole if there is one, and generally giving all the attention to the killer instead of the victims and survivors (both at the shooting, and the victims' families). Mostly all we hear about the victims is statistics and that "the community is healing."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
North Carolina just passed a law making it easier for people to buy a pistol by removing a permit requirement. Background checks are still in effect from purchases, but the permit required a much more broad analysis on who was purchasing the firearm.

The (D) Governor veto'd the bill, but was overridden.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/30/politics/north-carolina-pistol-permit/index.html

quote:

According to a legislative summary, a criminal and background check had previously been required before a purchase permit for a handgun transfer could be issued. Individuals “under indictment or convicted of a felony, fugitives, unlawful drug users, those adjudicated mentally incompetent or who have been committed to any mental institution, illegal or unlawful aliens and those who have renounced United States citizenship, those with dishonorable discharges from the Armed Forces, and those subject to domestic violence restraining orders” were prohibited from obtaining a permit under the old law.

The permit repeal goes into effect immediately. Federal background checks for handgun purchases from licensed dealers remain in effect.

This greatly expands the availability of handguns to people who arguably should not have them. While it probably won't increase the amount of mass shootings, I wholly expect to see the number of homicides increase.

In addition to expanding who can get access to a pistol, it expands where you can lawfully bring one. Places of necessity, like church.

quote:

The law also broadens the ability for concealed carry gun permit holders to “carry a handgun in a place of religious worship located on privately-owned educational property” under certain circumstances, including it being outside of posted school hours, the summary stated. Properties owned by a “local board of education or county commission” are exempt from the law, as are public and private “institutes of higher education” and premises where posted notices prohibit the possession of firearms.

It also expands the number of people with a concealed carry permit who are currently employed by law enforcement agencies but not sworn officers themselves to carry in some “law enforcement or correctional” facilities, and creates a statewide firearm safe storage awareness initiative to educate the public.

The GOP also did what they do to get their way, and apparently pushed it through by preventing debate on the bill after the veto.

quote:

[Governor] Cooper angrily responded to the General Assembly’s move on Wednesday, saying Republicans had prevented debate on the override from taking place.

“Without any debate allowed by GOP leadership because the arguments were too compelling for them to hear, the House voted to override my veto and eliminate strong background checks for handguns in NC,” Cooper tweeted. “Allowing known domestic abusers and mentally ill people to buy handguns puts communities at risk.”

North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein, a Democrat, also objected to the override.

“Today’s move by the General Assembly to repeal our pistol permit law has made our communities less safe. Now, dangerous people – like violent criminals and domestic abusers – will be able to more easily get their hands on guns,” Stein said is a statement.

“Too many worry that their kids may not come home from school. Gun violence is a terrifying threat, and eliminating background checks will make the job of law enforcement officers more difficult. While our legislators failed us, I’ll continue to do everything in my power to keep people in our state safe.”

I'm just so tired of this. Half our country is poisoned by culture war bullshit.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

bird food bathtub posted:

We've been publishing their names and manifestos, spreading their faces and actions across the evening news for 30 or more years now. Try something different, maybe? OK sure if you want the stuff available for clinical research yeah I can agree to that I guess. It should not be riding high on the top of Twitter. We, The People, don't need and can't use that poo poo. It has not and will not improve anything. In public they should be faceless, nameless murderers that caused Mary Smith to no longer be able to volunteer down at the Humane Society every Sunday like she has been for the last twenty years.

Stop giving them the attention they want.

Stop rewarding them for murdering innocent people.

I wholly agree with this. This popped up in my news feed today:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/audrey-hale-nashville-shooter-manifesto-b2310840.html

If I was a shut-in who felt like I didn't belong because people thought I was weird, who felt ignored by everyone, and who was generally angry at the world, this would be pretty drat enticing to do something horrible and have everyone suddenly interested in me, looking into every aspect of my life, and posthumously getting to know me and why I do the things I do. It really is the attention that a lot of these people crave. Love me or Hate me. But don't Ignore me.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
So my own dumb rear end can follow along, who are we rooting for in Chicago and WI?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have no idea what is up with her, but she says she first started to think about switching parties because people in the Democratic party keep yelling at her for missing votes and the "Women in the House Caucus" was bullying her with gossip and rumors.

Wait, so her reason for switching teams (and changing her beliefs, apparently) is because she was told she needs to do her job and because the Mean Girls started talking about her? What is this, high school?

Bye Felicia Tricia.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FizFashizzle posted:

This is the most salient point from that thread. Pretty on the nose from someone who just sleeps through arguments. He’s completely bought and paid for, doesn’t care, knows he’s untouchable, and doesn’t give the slightest poo poo about keeping up appearances. Must be free’ing.

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1643932027215904775?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Scalia was even more shameless about it.

Behind the Bastards has a good multi-part episode about Clarence Thomas, and he really is a fygm shithead.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-clarence-thomas-story-99759984/

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ither posted:

If a justice gets thrown in jail (this won't happen sadly) can they still hear cases?

Probably their own.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Framboise posted:

It's this.

I've never been more apathetic about going to vote and I've been able to do so since 2008. I do it out of bitter obligation just so I feel like I have my say against the Republican in the election at that time, but also knowing that even if the Democrat wins, there isn't going to be any significant change for the better when all they do is cave to any amount of conservative bluster.

SpeedFreek posted:

The general attitude I have seen is both parties suck or it wont affect me so I'm not voting, now that the dog has caught the car its been chasing there is plain as can be proof that at least one republican policy goal will negatively impact them or someone they care about. Thats why many including myself thought the republicans would keep Roe V Wade while campaigning against it as a wedge issue, because they knew how much it would motivate people against them if they did get it struck down.

The bolded parts pretty much describe me, a millennial who graduated college towards the beginning of the recession, 2009.

I feel things need to change, and fast, but one side actively wants to make things worse, and the other is reluctant to make things better.

Couple this with the fact that I live in Rhode Island, I genuinely feel like my vote has no value at the federal level because of the electrical college. Without the EC I could at least take comfort on knowing that my dem vote could counter some chud's vote in the south. But thanks to EC the only way my vote means anything is if my vote is the one that is needed to send RI's 4 EC votes to the federal level, and then, it only matters is if those 4 are enough to tip the vote to the majority. And since RI tends to go Dem each election anyway, that makes my vote mean even less. I still voted for Biden, but that was more a vote against Trump.

Hell, I wanted to vote for Bernie, but because of super Tuesday and the way the primary is structured, by the time it came for RI to vote, it was pretty much just Biden (if there was even something to vote on by the time it came to us. Dunno if there is still a vote held if everyone else drops out.)

E: to be clear, I still vote (definitely for state stuff), it just feels like my vote doesn't actually mean anything at the federal level.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 9, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

I had seen this story covered by CNN I'm curious as to why they only reinstated Jones to his position. From the CNN article, he was appointed back to his position since a special election isn't for a couple of weeks. But does anyone more familiar with TN state politics as to why only one of the two ousted members were reinstated?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

the_steve posted:

Pretty sure it's been proven that even if all of us (see: Regular people, the average Joe, etc) went all in on that; installed solar panels, recycled as much as possible, rode our bikes to work, it would still be dwarfed by the carbon footprint that massive corporations are making. Basically pissing on a forest fire.

Pretty much this. The biggest step towards improving our environment, including reducing our carbon emissions and reducing the amount of water being used, is passing regulations for corporations forcing them to reduce.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I know that right now the focus is on Thomas, but could this end up causing an investigation into all current sitting justices as well to make sure they're complaint?

Like, could Thomas have just hosed up the "good thing" the other justices had going?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
The way I've always understood it is that a congressperson holding a job while holding office opens the door to conflicts of interest. If I were a senator and I worked for Raytheon, guess who would always be supporting military funding, even if was elected by a state of people who believe we should cut funding.

Additionally, the common argument thrown around in the USCE threads is that senators and reps are paid so well (at the federal level, the salaries for state's reps are surprising to me) so that they didn't need to seek additional employment, and so that anyone (not just rich people with money to sit on) can serve in office.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gyges posted:

Am I the only person who always has to take a minute to realize we're talking racism and not brain injury when they see the abbreviation CRT?

Not just you. Occasionally my mind thinks "TV" and not "racism" when I see "CRT".

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Dominion says they still have pending defamation litigation against Newsmax, OAN, Mike Lindell, Overstock founder Patrick Byrne, Rudy Giuliani, and Sidney Powell.

There probably won't be anything especially interesting or juicy during discovery for those cases, unfortunately. Newsmax has already settled a different lawsuit from Dominion, so I wouldn't be surprised if they settled again.

Yeah, there will definitely be more cases coming. Beau of the Fifth Column just put out a video talking about more cases coming against Fox specifically.

Here are the key points that he mentions:
  • There's another suit against them from Smartmatic who are asking for even more money in damages.
  • With Fox settling on this case, they've shown that they're willing to settle regarding this issue, and may have opened the floodgates WRT others bringing legal action against them.
  • Potential cases could come from Jan 6 rioters, the capitol police and staffers who were there that day, states suing for managing protests and the resulting damages, states suing for the cost of the recounts they all had to do
  • Fox's reputation is damaged by these cases. And while there are die-hard fans, there are others who this will open their eyes.
  • People who are trying to get Fox removed from certain areas, such as Military Installations, now have a lot more ammo to use towards removing them.
  • While lots of companies settle when they're being sued, Fox has pretty explicitly settled to avoid this trial. Jurors were already selected and seated. The "preventing the cost of trial" argument doesn't hold here. They basically paid $787M to avoid a trial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPfjcCdhMFA

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nameless Pete posted:

Technically, "balloon-like entities" could just as easily mean the thing from Nope.

That's what they want you to believe so you won't look directly at it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
This is just speculation, but maybe after seeing how narrow Biden's win was, they're reluctant to put forth anyone who might split the votes and give the win to the GOP.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

James Garfield posted:

The rental and homeowner vacancy rates are at or near historic lows, rents are going up because there isn't enough housing in places people want to live and landowners have been pretty successful at organizing against new construction.

Aren't vacancy rates skewed lower right now because of things like Air BnB?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

- Implement an E-Verify system for employers to prevent them from hiring anyone without U.S. citizenship, a green card, or a work visa.

Doesn't this disproportionately hurt employers (especially farmers) in the south since they tend to use undocumented workers so they can pay them less? (I get it, they're proposing it because it will hurt "the others" more, but still, even they should be able to see this makes things worse all around.)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gyges posted:

I mean technically, but I don't know that I want to frame it as hurting employers when we're stepping on their ability to exploit the absolute ever-living poo poo out of people.

Sorry, I should've clarified that I meant "farmers in the south" as in "business owners in red states", which is who the GOP tends to listen to.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
E: Disregard this, it was a vote on a rules package, not the actual Debt Ceiling bill.

Per the CBS live stream of the Debt Ceiling vote: Votes are still trickling in for both sides, but this doesn't look good.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/456/text/rh?overview=closed&format=xml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmq_6isL-7c

E: Wait, no Dems voted in favor? Is Res 456 not the Debt Ceiling increase? Or is this just a vote on an amendment?

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 31, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zeron posted:

It's a rule package to put the bill up to vote later. A pre-vote if you will. Traditionally it's party line regardless of what the bill is. Dems are waiting to see exactly how many votes they'll need to add, at which point they'll log the rest of their votes.

Ah, thank you. I thought this was the actual vote and that dems torpedoed the bill and the economy.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
If anyone's interested in watching it in real time, they're finally voting on the Fiscal Responsibility Act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmq_6isL-7c

Surprisingly strong republican support after the complaining they were doing. They're over 50% gop voting yea.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

yronic heroism posted:

Lol there’s like 8 R votes left rn and they all need to be yes for McCarthy to deliver his 150.

Just short :v:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

. .. what does this mean?

McCarthy promised 150 R votes, but final vote tally only has 149 Rs voting Yea.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/facing-gop-backlash-mccarthy-works-to-shore-up-votes-for-debt-deal-in-time-to-prevent-u-s-default

quote:

“It is my expectation that House Republicans would keep their promise and deliver at least 150 votes as it relates to an agreement that they themselves negotiated,” Jeffries said. “Democrats will make sure that the country does not default.”

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gatts posted:

No, it's some woman. She just came in at the end of the vote and said she's resigning. I don't know who she is.

No, it was Cicillini who resigned. The lady was just the secretary(?) for the house. She was reading his letter of resignation.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah i am also skeptical here. if presidential elections are all they are relying on, seems that the answer might be more 'young people don't like the president who told them to eat poo poo' more so than them getting more conservative. and anecdotally (yeah yeah i know), the other millennials i know have gotten less conservative as they've gotten older, not more.

This is pretty much my interpretation of the article as well. I wonder if it's actually less "moving towards conservative" than "moving away from the democratic party"

Looking at it from the perspective of what was going on at the time the article tracks their data, from 2004 onward, I can call out a bunch of other motivating factors that could contribute to the trends the article is reporting.

In 2004 there was the Iraq war. People were still kinda riding on the "gently caress Yeah America" patriotism from the 2001 attacks. By 2009, millennials were sick of the war that showed no signs of stopping, while Obama started campaigning on "Change!"

Millenials were starting to get hit from the effects of the 2008 recession by this election, so they latched onto the guy promising to bring about change, since things weren't working. After 8 years of pretty much "Not Change," people were kinda sick of being lied to (not only the president's promises, but also the whole "go to college and make tons of money" as well, leaving them with practically a mortgage with no job). People were sick of the status quo, and along comes Hillary to run for the Dems. The physical embodiment of the out-of-touch ruling elite who make false promises and who bail out corporations when they crash the economy. So Trump won that election because people who were sick of how things were going voted for the anti-establishment businessman who vowed to shake up congress.

By the time Biden ran, people were more voting against Trump than for Biden since he literally campaigned on "Nothing will fundamentally change."

Honestly, I think millennials are just sick of the lies and false promises from politicians, and it's causing those who would be voting for dems to not even bother, while right-leaning millennials were motivated by fear of "the others" so they were more likely to come out and vote.

You want millennials to show trends of becoming more left as they get older? Bring out some politicians that represent us and what we want, instead of ancient, "how do you do fellow students" types of people who talk down to us like we're meant to be busy little bees and keep quiet.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jaxyon posted:

has Biden even vetoed anything yet?

4 things so far, apparently.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/vetoes/BidenJR.htm

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

cat botherer posted:

https://twitter.com/thewarzonewire/status/1668690374020448257

The F-35 continues to be a giant embarassing farce/grift. As it says, these planes are going into storage until the Technology Refresh 3 upgrades are ironed out.

Related to this, the F-35's engine has been under-specced since the beginning. The main issue there is the need for a lot of bleed air to cool avionics, but this extra demand causes the engine to run too hot. That induces premature wear and reliability problems - which is a big deal when you only have one engine. The TR-3 upgrades will exacerbate this problem.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/f-35-engine-running-too-hot-due-to-under-speccing-upgrade-now-vital

I know the MIC will keep the gravy train rolling for as long as it can, but at point does the Air Force finally decide to scrap this over-engineered failure?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is also a lot of tribalism going on. It could be pissing dollar bills from the sky and the Republicans will never admit it worked because they can't ever concede that government intervention can improve the economy. Also, the media doesn't want to give Democrats any action for good economies because they don't want to be perceived as in the tank AND they need narratives to make horse races a thing.

Bolded:
I don't think it's anything that sophisticated. I think it's just that good news doesn't get views. 24 hour news means they're constantly looking for a reason for viewers to stay with them, and so will look for, and broadcast, anything bad that's going on.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

the_steve posted:

Lol, even better; Their genius tactic in the event that someone starts throwing hands at you? Walk away.
Yep. Someone gets worked up enough for whatever reason to start trying to fight you, you just turn and walk away. Obviously, they'll drop aggro as soon as you turn your back to them and then there will be no more problem :downs:

Don't forget zero tolerance! Let's expel the kid getting picked on, since he's clearly a troublemaker as well, being a target and all.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Remember those "few bad apples" in the Minneapolis Police Department who murdered George Floyd 3 years ago? Shortly after that incident, the Justice Department began investigating the department regarding their policing practices. And they just released their report.

Turns out it's more than a few, and might be the whole bunch.

None of what they found is surprising to hear, but it is surprising that it seems like the government is now starting to take notice. Unsurprisingly, the report found that the cops would often use unreasonable force against against their suspects (which were disproportionately Black or Native American) and often targeted people who commited no violations at all, but instead would "punish" people who criticized the police or simply made them angry.

quote:

“Our investigation found that the systemic problems in MPD made what happened to George Floyd possible,” the report states.

The Minneapolis Police Department has, for years, used dangerous “techniques and weapons” against people who had committed a petty offense or no offense at all, “including unjustified deadly force,” it adds.

“MPD used force to punish people who made officers angry or criticized the police,” the report says, and “patrolled neighborhoods differently based on their racial composition and discriminated based on race when searching, handcuffing, or using force against people during stops.”

Aside from targeting minorities, they often employed unconstitutional uses of deadly force, often without identifying any immediate threat, and also against people who were only a danger to themselves.

quote:

In one example cited by the report, a woman had been shot by an officer after she reportedly “spooked” him as she came to his police car.

The neck restraint used that killed Floyd was found to have been used by officers almost 200 times from 2016-2020.

And, unsprisingly, the Department found that there were officers, some in leadership positions, who would make racist or descriminatory comments to other officers.

quote:

During one of the protests following Floyd’s murder, an MPD lieutenant said a group of protesters were likely mostly White because “there’s not looting and fires.”

Other MPD employees told the Justice Department about similar discriminatory comments made by their colleagues, including comments about how “you don’t have to worry about Black people during the day ‘cuz they haven’t woken up—crime starts at night.”

Quotes cited from here:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/16/politics/minneapolis-police-department-justice-george-floyd/index.html

Additionally, though I didn't find it mentioned in the CNN article, according to another source I found, the city and the police department have entered into a "consent decree," which basically means that the DOJ is overseeing everything in that department and is setting reformation benchmarks.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Alterian posted:

This has been discussed in other threads but one of the reason for the reading drop was because schools adopted this really lovely way of how to teach kids how to read that did not work.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/02/677722959/why-millions-of-kids-cant-read-and-what-better-teaching-can-do-about-it

Edit: Note this is from 2019 before the pandemic.

This was a really interesting article. I had no idea that they started changing how reading was being taught. I guess phonics is no longer a thing?
I can't help but wonder, though, what is it that happened that caused a major change in how teachers taught math and reading? Like, genuinely curious. Who saw what was being taught and decided that it was all wrong?

I graduated HS in 2005 so I was taught the "old" way of reading and math. Phonics and long division and all that. And I get it that there are some students that will take to learning that method more easily, and others that would struggle to understand it, and would need extra help. But surely that can't be the entire reasoning between changing to sight reading, and simply "grasping the ideas" of what text is trying to convey, and adopting common core math?

Anecdote: I used to help my niece with math when she was in highschool, and she would show me the problems she was given, and I would ask her to start solving it and I would guide her if she got stuck and correct her where she stumbled. A few times, she would start solving a problem and I would stop her just to ask what she was doing, not recognizing the method. She would explain it, and every time it would seem like nonsense to me. And more than once, after I showed her how I was taught to solve those problems, she would comment on how my way was much easier and intuitive. :corsair:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Here's a good NYT overview on the situation.

The tl;dr version is: Some studies showed that kids would read more on their own when taught that way and that phonics was breaking down reading into a mechanical process that didn't foster a love of reading in students. The best way to improve at reading is to practice, so a program that resulted in kids reading more on their own would lead to better results than teaching phonics.

It didn't pan out that way, though. And the philosophy was based on a study that turned out to be somewhat dubious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/06/...they%20started.

Thanks for this. I find analyses like this fascinating.

I used to love reading as a kid, but honestly what killed it for me was mandatory reading in middle- and high-school, complete with summer reading assignments where I had to read 5 books from a list of nothing that interested me.

Anytime I found a book that I wanted to read, I usually couldn't because I was required to read something else like "Johnny Tremain" and usually didn't have time to read what I wanted, or simply didn't have the desire after forcing my way through a number of chapters of a boring character study.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What kind of meat is it?

Can I finally sate my . . . Hunger? All the pork they sell is so short

Perhaps you could make a modest proposal?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FlamingLiberal posted:

poo poo is potentially popping off in Russia. Allegedly the Russian military attempted to kill the leader of the Wagner Group, which is the very large PMC that is essentially a wing of Russia itself. It appears that they failed, but there is concern that this leader is/was attempting a coup.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1672368861763567616?s=20

There are a lot of photos circulating online allegedly showing that the military is actively blocking off streets in Moscow

I just checked my google news, and it seems there's a lot of finger pointing going on right now. I'm not sure how much (if any) of these stories are accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Baronash posted:

Probably at least partially because it doesn’t append as well as “-gate.” Imagine trying to say “Bushnomics” seriously.

I'm disappointed we didn't get "Obamanomics." At least that's fun to say. We could write it in the Obamanomicon.