Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zotix posted:

Has this been discussed yet? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

It looks like Disney's district Reedy Creek signed over almost all of their responsibilities to Disney the day before the Florida house voted to put DeSatan in charge. The new 5 Republican board has almost no control except over Roads and basic infrastructure. Apparently this declaration is valid “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

you left a part out

quote:

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” if it is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, according to the document.

i'm just visualizing the Disney lawyers going all before going home to sleep on their mattresses stuffed full of hundred dollar bills and disney interns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Edward Mass posted:

Just :lol: that DeSantis thought he could out-lawyer the loving Walt Disney Company.

It should be pointed out, however, that this whole saga is leading to Steamboat Willie (and, by extension, the first Mickey Mouse design) entering the public domain on January 1st, 2024 because the GOP decided to be right for the wrong reasons with regards to IP.

i am reasonably certain that disney would rather have desantis murdered in public by suited men wearing mickey mouse ears than let this happen

Personally I figure that for DeSantis this is all basically water under the bridge, he made his initial gesture at opposing Woke Capitalism, now it's somebody else's problem. but if he actually does pick a fight with the Mouse it'll be very funny

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

So the Trump indictment is surely going to need its own thread, no?

When (if), he's found not guilty, I have to think this is only going to fortify his brand. At least among his base.

the odds of it completely taking over this thread are basically 100%

it hasn't happened yet so trump discussion can stay in the pickleball thread for now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cimber posted:

Well no more trips to Scotland for Trump any time soon, since he has to surrender his passport. No more trips overseas at all.

unironically more personal consequences than he's suffered since he became Fred's evil Igor at 18 or so, lol

e: this might be a good opportunity for malenia to suddenly rediscover her love for central europe

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 31, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

and the current issues the Southern Baptist Convention is going through.

I don't suppose you have a paragraph or two in you on this? effortposts are always welcome

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t the US play a role in containing SARS, bird flu, swine flu in collaboration with the WHO? I guess I don’t actually know.

certainly did, and Trump did a real number on our support for the WHO

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

koolkal posted:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/texas-judge-halts-fda-approval-of-abortion-pill-mifepristone

This article makes it seem like the FDA could choose to continue allowing the drug so kinda sounds like Biden is just willingly choosing to follow the Trump judge's order instead of the other judge.

As someone else mentioned, I think you either misread or posted the wrong article. At the moment, according to the article you posted

- the drug is still legal
- the Biden admin has made no moves to pull it
- the journalist and the experts they spoke to are waiting to see what happens in the next week

That, uh, does not sound like unilaterally choosing to follow the (absurd) Texas ruling

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lawns are a red herring

they're a particularly visible and annoying red herring, but correctly abolishing every green lawn (and every golf course) in Phoenix wouldn't move the needle much

it's agriculture that's the problem

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

Got data on that?

about 20% of arizona water use is residential: https://new.azwater.gov/conservation/public-resources#:~:text=On%20average%2C%20each%20Arizona%20resident,%2C%20washing%20cars%2C%20etc.)

navigating the state website is proving more annoying than i want to deal with at the moment, but this is an arizona municipal water association chart:

that seems to jive well enough with azwater.gov's "Up to 70 percent of that water is used outdoors (watering plants, swimming pools, washing cars, etc.) "

so if we go with the 70% max number, and abolish absolutely all of it, that's what, a 15% reduction in arizona water use?

That's pretty significant, but that still leaves 85%.

Sax Mortar posted:

I mean I'm not saying it'll solve every problem. I'm just saying it's contributing to the problem in multiple ways, one of which is a continuing attitude of FYGM by all the people and neighborhoods who need a shiny green yard of real grass in 100+ degree weather.

i'm extremely firmly in favor of moving towards non-grass / local-plant lawns, it just wouldn't resolve the colorado river shortage; that needs to be done through agriculture limitations (or california destroying the other six states)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

One of the sights I recommend people check out in Phoenix is the desert botanical garden. It's really lovely and all native or native-ish plants. Obviously inspirational for how to make a nice lawn while complying with Phoenix's conditions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SourKraut posted:

I hadn't seen this yet, but this is excellent news, thank you.

Edit:

They also could be on there because they have long marketed their flavored Diet/artificially-sweetened beverages as being 0 calorie, up to and including the nutritional label, but in reality, depending on the flavoring used, it actually does have some calories, including at times enough to go over the limits set for what constitutes "zero calorie".

Ironically you can see Coke starting to self-correct on this a little bit, with their Freestyle machines.

throwing the bolded on the pile of "probably reasonable agency rules that sound silly when described in a vacuum"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

volts5000 posted:

They are more chaotic than we think. So chaotic that it caused the fracturing of a political party and led the southern states to vote for a proto-Trump candidate (which made him the most successful third party candidate in US history in terms of EV). But I also can't help but think of the more mundane forces as well. "If I vote for this, I'll get a library in my district."

the villainization and abolition of earmarks was really, really bad for the country, it turns out

we kinda-sorta have them back but the damage is long since done

Cimber posted:

Very true. Its sad that politics has become a team sport. Less and less crossover voters these days. In 2016 had Hillary been running against anyone other than Trump I might have seriously considered voting for the Republican, but I instead held my nose and voted for her. I never in a million years thought Trump would actually win.

the thing with the US system is that coalitions are formed before the general, and generally before the primary

it's very nearly impossible for the current republican party to generate a candidate in any sufficiently high-level race that is better than the democrat (i will allow for a little wiggle room in dinkier races), because if the candidate were like that they'd run as a democrat

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 16, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Judicial immunity only applies to actions from the bench. It's difficult for me to come up with a hypothetical where that would protect against fraud-type charges. I'm not clear on which particular laws Thomas has violated - skimming coverage, it looks like his currently known violations are all failing to report (and/or possibly receiving above market value on) various things under transparency laws. I'm not seeing anything about tax fraud, it's entirely possible that like a slightly smarter criminal he ignored judicial oversight but reported his income accurately to the taxman.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm definitely HOPING there are other stipulations, but two things, paraphrased from people who know more about law than me. The 1.6b initial ask was based on incorrect math (double-dipping by like 600m from two overlapping award categories), and Dominion makes about 20m a year. Combine those with "libel cases are hard" and Fox more or less accepting the facts of the case and this is a pretty unequivocal win for Dominion.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah, on the one hand the settlement isn't exactly an existential monetary threat to fox corp

On the other hand, as Paineframe notes, telling your investors "actually we slashed this year's profit by 40% because of a concerted and knowing effort to lie feloniously and undermine the election" doesn't make them happy. Thanks to capitalism, even the Fox Corp investors who are basically on board with its ideology (as opposed to just wanting to make infinity dollars or, in some cases, have a better shot at burying embarrassing stories - looking at you, saudi arabia) are going to be asking some awkward questions about the stewardship of their money.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

There's an interesting legal theory that the 14th Amendment negates the statutory debt limit anyway. If Biden were to invoke it and just tell the Treasury to keep printing money to pay debts, I think he'd probably stand a pretty good chance. The Supreme Court is insane right now, but I don't think they're so insane as to issue a 5-4 ruling that global financial collapse needs to happen immediately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/opinion/fourteenth-amendment-debt-ceiling.html

I'm just operating on the assumption that default doesn't happen, the same way I'm operating on the assumption that I won't be taken out by a deorbiting toilet seat tomorrow. Exactly how it doesn't happen will be interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

I had to cut this off at the half-million mark because there were twice the number of corporate donor names as

Note that these were political contributions made for the 2021-2022 election cycle.

(eta: Mods, let me know if anyone complains about the length & I'll change the images to links.)

Could you timg em? I think that's a reasonable compromise and takes, like, eight keystrokes. and seeing a billion lines in a small picture still gets across the idea

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

shot:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/23/us/biden-immigration-humanitarian-parole.html

Biden Opens a New Back Door on Immigration

quote:

Amid a protracted stalemate in Congress over immigration, President Biden has opened a back door to allow hundreds of thousands of new immigrants into the country, significantly expanding the use of humanitarian parole programs for people escaping war and political turmoil around the world.

The measures, introduced over the past year to offer refuge to people fleeing Ukraine, Haiti and Latin America, offer immigrants the opportunity to fly to the United States and quickly secure work authorization, provided they have a private sponsor to take responsibility for them.

As of mid-April, some 300,000 Ukrainians had arrived in the United States under various programs — a number greater than all the people from around the world admitted through the official U.S. refugee program in the last five years.

By the end of 2023, about 360,000 Venezuelans, Cubans, Nicaraguans and Haitians are expected to gain admission through a similar private sponsorship initiative introduced in January to stem unauthorized crossings at the southern border — more people than were issued immigrant visas from these countries in the last 15 years combined.

The Biden administration has also greatly expanded the number of people who are in the United States with what is known as temporary protected status, a program former President Donald J. Trump had sought to terminate. About 670,000 people from 16 countries have had their protections extended or become newly eligible since Mr. Biden took office, according to a new report from the Pew Research Center.

All told, these temporary humanitarian programs could become the largest expansion of legal immigration in decades.

chaser:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/19/immigration-poll-title-42-biden-00092684

Biden is ignoring immigration issues, voters say in poll

tldr: some of the things a majority in this poll think he should be doing better (or uh communicating better) are things we like, and some are not

migrant border crossings were 2m+ in 2022, so this isn't exactly what you'd call a full solution to those folks becoming second-class residents, but expanding authorized immigration by 360k/year seems Pretty Good

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 25, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Seems a bit tricky to find data on all the states without searching individually, which I will not be doing fifty times. It's pretty rare in the Tennessee House though, and before now generally reserved for pretty significant criming.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

The extremely exact timing and precision of the filing would suggest to me - as a non lawyer - that Disney saw everything coming a mile away, waited for DeSantis & friends to make it official, and then immediately went forward with what everyone was wondering about (I assume stronger now then the past few weeks due to extra signed/dated docs).

Also I saw that they cited his book as evidence for their case, heh.

Disney has one of the absolutely scariest corporste legal teams on the planet, at least of any corp that PROBABLY doesn't just routinely have people murdered. There is a zero percent chance they didn't get this going the moment it became plausible that DeSantis was dumb enough to make war on the Mouse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Huh. I figured they'd wait and take a swing at eg Missouri banning gender affirming care for everybody. Best wishes to the dour, humorless assholes at the DOJ then.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why do I feel like this is the start of some kind of National Treasure plot?

personally i'm plotting to steal The Kilogram from that one lab in France

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

25 for each 3d printed gun, you say

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

XboxPants posted:

This one? https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/us/politics/migrant-child-labor-biden.html

I remember from reading the article, it sounded like there was massive systemic oversight where no agency felt that they were the one responsible for tracking kids after they'd been placed with a sponsor. Like, here:

So basically, we're sending kids to shady "sponsors" who trap them into debt slavery and then no one ever looks into it again. It's not even a failure of the system; it's designed this way. No one has been assigned this job.

As much as it upsets me I appreciate you posting this article. I'm really intensely interested in what proportion of overall child labor is this sort of migrant situation. My gut says "vast majority" but even in its current majestic size, my gut is not a substitute for quasi-reliable data.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Yiff posted:

Basically what kzin602 said, I'd add is because the people with the most money, whom capitalism is intended to benefit most, want to be able to acquire more money without having to perform any labor. Their primary income isn't wages, it's dividends or proceeds from selling or renting their investments, or interest from loans to banks or companies or individuals. The only way for this to happen is endless, unsustainable, rapacious growth at all costs.

dividends do not require infinite growth

in a properly designed system where the workers own the company and get the dividends, it's theoretically possible to achieve a good solid steady state; the obvious rebuttal is that workers would like to have more money rather than less money so this model just shifts the desire for infinite growth forever from billionaires (bad) to worker coops (less bad, still not infinitely sustainable)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

On the other hand it's absolutely inflationary in the sense that businesses will jack up prices and claim the coin forced them to do it.

People still believe the level of inflation we're looking at now is because poor people are livin' large off of the stimulus they got almost three years ago.

no, that is not generally how even greed based inflation works, mostly because the question then is "so why didn't they do it already?" I really don't think the coin is a particularly useful excuse even if you completely ignore competition questions, which is what brings us to the cause of current greed based inflation: corps that for one reason or another had customers and/or other corps over a barrel at some point.

well, that and ongoing morally-poo poo responses to ongoing logistics weaknesses, to my understanding

I'm actually not convinced that's something People Believe as a group either. That's generally a tricky thing to determine and one that requires data.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

and yes also cartels or cartel-adjacent behavior, which still doesn't really have much to do with The Coin

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if it's a universally agreed upon bar but the humane society no kill standard isn't STRICTLY no kill, but the exceptions are sensical and rare: an animal that straight up will never have any quality of life again, or an animal that is so untreatably aggressive that it's a danger to any humans it interacts with. The one I know best makes expensive heroic efforts to resolve... well, both, but especially the medical treatment side. I don't know they've ever euthanized a cat for aggression in my whole time knowing them, we have a very successful barn cat program where demon cats can just gently caress around outside forever. Sadly a couple dogs get it every year because apparently we have some problems with loving dogfight rings and they psychologically destroy the dogs.

The two things about it are that you need to really stand by your commitment to treatment rather than euthanization if possible, and no euthanizations for capacity period full stop no exceptions. This shelter partners with a bunch of others (particularly in the north where rescue numbers go
... down a bit... in the winter) where a full shelter can ship pets to a trustworthy empty shelter.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

People don’t become more conservative as they get older, but it looks that way sometimes because the rich ones live longer than the poor ones, and the rich ones are the most conservative.

That was one of the revelations that both rang incredibly true to my data analyst gut, and is very depressing. Of *course* that's an easy way to get that correlation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gort posted:

Still seems nuts to a non-American that you guys all have to file your own taxes instead of that burden being on your employers, but I guess not being gouged for the right to do the busywork is a step forward

oh they file it too, the IRS just isn't allowed to send you a "hey this is what we think you made last year and this is what we think you owe, if you object to either of those things then file to amend it" based on the W-2 from your employer and other information they already have

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In that situation, they would have to be expelled or be declared legally dead. It generally takes at least 7 years of disappearance before you can file to declare someone legally dead. But, if they went missing in a plane crash or some kind of other situation of "imminent peril" and they can't be found, then they can be declared legally dead shortly after. If someone just sort of wandered off with no trace and there was no evidence they were in danger, then they would have to impeach/expel them, wait for their term to expire (not applicable for Supreme Court), or wait 7 years.

personally i feel that this principle was not properly applied to Harold Holt when the Deep Ones absconded with him

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I would consider General of the Army of the United States political experience.

Honestly Grant needs way more love I feel like Grant is an honest real answer to what we can be as Americans.

nobody appreciates general Winfield Scott and it's a crime he was too much of a fat pompous rear end in a top hat to win the election

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

his autobiography is pretty rad

he hates Andrew Jackson and militia morons

he really, REALLY hates the Confederates

he feels super loving sad about the trail of tears and obviously doesn't want to talk about it but feels he saved a lot of lives over whoever else would have been in charge because he's the only person in the entire government of the time that thought native Americans were people

relatedly, my favorite bit is when a couple natives allied with the British tried to assassinate him while he was held prisoner, with literal hatchets, and his take is "eh, fair enough, look at all the poo poo we did and are doing to them"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This sounds like an autobiography I need to read.

it's been out of copyright for A WHILE lol, you can get it for free p easy

E: iirc based on his retelling the native folks felt like they needed to uphold their own version of honor, so rather than sneak up behind him and slit his throat, they walked into his cushy cell and announced "we're gonna murder you now, American military scumbag"

then he killed one of them with his sword because this is 1813, if you're a white european-ish officer you can keep your sword on you when prisoner as long as you promise not to escape, and held off the other until the British guards got off their asses and blew the second assassin away

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 19, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

I looks like the list is
-California since 1993
-Main 1997-2013
-Washington since 2001
-New Hampshire since 2011
-Minnesota since 2018
-Arizona only in 2019
-Nevada since 2019

speaking of aoc, unless she breaks my heart and primaries Gillibrand, NY has good odds of making the list

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Last time I heard this sort of thing discussed the general consensus seemed to arrive at something like "government maintains a database that can give a y/n with anonymity" but yes I don't really expect that to be viable in the US anytime soon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i'm not certain i agree with your thesis that we should just all become slightly better donald trump, but it is very funny whenever he turns his constant playground bullying to farting on DeSantis' face for hours on end

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

possibly weeks, i suppose

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Twincityhacker posted:

The legislature in Minnisota passed a whole bunch of really great legislation from food aid to legalizing weed and expunging convictions for it to approving lots of bonds for inrustructure to having some of the best trans protection laws in the US and heard exactly jackshit about anything but the trans protection stuff.

I only found out about the other stuff tonight, and it was a tumblr effort post. The first place I saw the info about the trans protection stuff was tumblr as well.

I have completely failed to be the change I want to see in the world, but this is a pretty common failing of the entire internet. SA is, somehow, largely somewhat better. I also guarantee you that there are crucial things that aren't even crossing anybody here's radar, never mind getting actually posted.

partly because nice things are boring and don't get clicks unless they involve kitten pictures

e: i hate to encourage offsite social media stuff when i'm already prone to whining about twitter, but i'm gonna encourage offsite social media stuff: i don't suppose you have that minnesota effortpost to hand?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:911:

exactly what i was looking for, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Fun as that would be I'd imagine the Texas Senate Republicans know that and would like to protect their own. Or are they all going Praetorian Guard on the state brass?

people much more obsessed with the texas legislature than i am seem to think it's essentially a factional struggle that paxton, uh, wildly misjudged

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Paxton's wife is a state senator and she just discovered that he'd been cheating on her: one of the 20 impeachment charges is him pushing to get his mistress hired in the AG's office because he grew tired of driving to Dallas/FW from Austin.

yeah this is maybe the most likely thing i've heard as a possible instigating factor for the total collapse of Paxton's legislative support