Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Kinda feels like a symptom of the wider diagnosis of "People don't trust poo poo coming from those in power anymore". A few decades of skull loving anyone south of the 1% for an extra dollar has effects like that on a society. If there was a reservoir of trust from previous actions to draw on, individual events like this could be smoothed over and dealt with appropriately by those who do have a good understanding of environmental science. But that's not the society we live in. We live in "gently caress You Got Mine" given mortal form, and the people making these decisions like buying bottled water are doing the best they can with what is available to them.

This is kind of a long-standing problem with handling large-scale disasters where the population might need to temporarily change their behavior in a way that disrupts their lives.

From the POV of pure public health and safety, if you're not really sure whether something needs a response or not, you'd probably want to opt on the safe side and warn people that a response is likely necessary. In theory, anyway. But in practice, there's a big worry that people will hate it if things turn out lucky and said response ended up being unnecessary.

It's a big dilemma in severe weather forecasting, for example. If forecasters predict a severe storm is coming and urge the populace to take precautions, and then the winds change and the storm doesn't hit there or is a lot weaker than expected, people take that as meaning that the weather forecasting is unreliable. And the bigger the disruption is, the more reluctant officials can be to recommend that disruption. Nobody wants to recommend an evacuation only for the hurricane to turn on a dime and completely miss the area, but at the same time, a last-minute evacuation recommendation is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's less grim if you go look at the actual results.

The shift was generally from "Very Important" to "Somewhat Important", it's not like everyone's out there saying "gently caress community" all of a sudden. And while "tolerance for others" may have dropped in importance compared to four years ago, it still had the second-most people ranking it very important. It really just seems like people are less likely to say "very important" in general.

It's still worth noting due to the change from previous polls, but as the very end of the article (briefly!) notes, there's also a methodology change to be aware of. The 1998 and 2019 polls used live interviewers to call people, while the 2023 poll was an online poll, which the article generously says "might account for a small portion of the reported decline in importance of the American values tested". It doesn't link the previous polls, or the detailed crosstabs of this poll, so all we can really do is rely on what the writer cherrypicked anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

So if the people that chuds don't like both start arming themselves for self defense and also committing mass shootings I wonder if chuds will change their stance on gun control from 100% against to gun control for only certain types of people.

That's already their stance. The GOP's been increasingly determined to portray gun violence as a mental health issue rather than a gun availability issue, and there's plenty of them who regard "being trans" as a mental health issue. I'm sure they'd eagerly connect those two together and sign a bill banning gun ownership by trans people, while also using the mass shootings as an excuse to crack down even further on trans people in general.

Not that they need to pass a law saying that explicitly. After all, minorities are already disproportionately disenfranchised of their 2nd Amendment rights, because they're disproportionately likely to be convicted of a felony (which renders it illegal for them to possess a firearm).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know it's really horrific for the families, but I feel like there really needs to be an Emmett Till level photo. But that is a Hurclean task for anyone.

Everybody already agrees that school mass shootings are bad. The disagreement isn't on "should we prevent school shootings", it's on "how do we prevent school shootings". Gruesome photos of dead kids are unlikely to have an impact on that conversation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, but the original poll did ask about a lot more categories. They just didn't include them all in the tweet graphic. They are described and listed in the article underneath that was copy and pasted.

Here's the crosstabs:

It's worth noting that the demographics of this poll are somewhat skewed. It seemed suspicious practically at first glance, given that the "assistance to big cities" line looks a bit odd considering how much of the US population lives in urban areas.

And sure enough, the sample had more people who lived in rural areas than it had people living in urban areas:

That's substantially overrepresenting rural voters, who make up roughly 14% of the population. Unsurprisingly, the poll also overrepresents "old people", "people who don't have college degrees", and "homeowners".

I'm not sure how these line up with the general population, but their sample seems to lean conservative and wealthy too.

As for the overall numbers, it's worth noting that it's not "Americans think we spend too little on anything", it's "Democrats think we spend too little on some things and Republicans think we spend too little on other things". When they break it out by political affiliation, it gives a much different picture:

Republicans want to cut spending on childcare and science, and use those savings to increase spending on law enforcement and border security. Democrats want to cut spending on law enforcement and border security, and use those savings to increase spending on childcare and science.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9ppz/nashville-shooting-marjorie-taylor-greene-matt-walsh-anti-trans

I can't tell whether the right is just designating a scapegoat in defense of guns or if they're hoping to foment stochastic terrorism against conservatives in response as some kind of accelerationist thing. Obviously I know what the out-and-proud Nazis want but it's wild to me how overt the RWM sphere is getting with this.

It's both, but mostly the latter. They're trying to paint trans folks as "bad people" with fundamentally evil intentions and thus morally bankrupt, deserving of all sorts of discrimination, etc. Same as how they paint trans people as rapists and child molesters.

At the same time, it's consistent with their desire to respond to school shootings by talking about basically anything besides guns.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Farchanter posted:

I'm curious if DeSantis is even going to care. He gets to put "put Woke Disney in their place" on his campaign ads, the actual implementation probably doesn't bother him one bit.

The people he put on that board sure care. The only reason we even know about what Disney did is because the board is publicly making a huge deal about it, and the DeSantis administration is publicly backing the board. So either he cares, or they're prioritizing their culture-war poo poo over DeSantis' personal political interests. And their tantrum over it has spawned headlines like Newsweek's "Ron DeSantis' Board Rages Against Disney World After Legal Humiliation", so it's a lot less likely that he'll be able to keep claiming that he "put Woke Disney in their place" while simultaneously continuing to fight Disney over it.

It's also not just empty lip service, because the board has hired several law firms to examine the agreement and look for grounds to challenge it in court. The firms they've retained all seem to be politically connected and have ties to DeSantis' people, so there's probably some element of grift, but they can't keep insisting they've already won if they decide to pick this fight. If DeSantis were the uncontested nominee and had right-wing media fully in his corner, maybe he could get away with it, but that's not happening unless he gets lucky enough for something to knock Trump out of the race.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Doctor Yiff posted:

The point isn't to reason with them, it's to demonstrate to onlookers that they're full of poo poo.

It's self-evidently full of poo poo. Nobody seriously thinks trans people are shooting up schools for the sake of "gender ideology". It very clearly doesn't make any sort of sense.

In any case, the far right is happy to dismiss mass shooters' manifestos, websites, social media profiles, and any other evidence that doesn't fit their narrative.

For example, Dylann Roof not only wrote a white supremacist manifesto, but left extensive evidence of his racist beliefs online, and many of his acquaintances said his racism was well-known. Yet Fox and Friends suggested that it was ridiculous to call the Charleston church shooting a hate crime, and Alex Jones suggested that the whole thing was a "set-up" and that Roof had been acting at the behest of federal agents seeking to create an excuse for a total federal takeover.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

it's incredibly trivial to craft a narrative that makes absolute sense, what are you talking about?

trans people are very obviously and very directly being targeted by right wing poo poo across the country, a narrative of someone finally having enough and going on a rampage is a story that writes itself. feed that to someone who isn't well aware of the real happenings and boom

even if it was insane, we have a literal congress person who literally appears to believe in Jewish space lasers. "very clearly doesn't make sense" doesn't matter in this world.

That narrative doesn't make sense. If a hypothetical trans person were violently lashing out against legislative oppression, they'd probably target a lobbyist group, not an elementary school.

As someone else said a bit earlier in the thread, there is no good and plausible reason to shoot up a class of elementary schoolers that makes any sort of sense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

we already know that the shooter in this case has ties to the school and apparently attended. "christians" are also some of the most outspoken anti trans people.

it really is not hard to come up with a plausible motive. it also doesn't have to be perfectly sound, because as you point out, you have to be deranged in the first place to go shooting up a school.

If she shot up the school because they abused her for being trans, then she didn't shoot up the school due to "gender ideology", she shot it up because she was abused.

Yeah, it's easy to come up with a motive that's plausible to people who are actively trying to buy into right-wing framing, but there's not really a whole lot that can be done about that.

When it comes to the Nashville case, the issue is that even though the authorities have her manifesto and all of her other writings and planning materials, they're dripfeeding out info of dubious credibility over a period of days, so that rather than getting a clear and accurate picture out in the first place, they're leaving people to speculate with incomplete facts. For example, cops quickly stated that the shooter was trans and a former student at the school, and didn't take long to claim that the attack was "planned and targeted". But we learned yesterday evening that the shooter had originally targeted public non-Christian schools, but settled on Covenant because it had less security. Moreover, we also learned that police think the shooter had also been planning to shoot up a local mall and kill "certain family members".

quote:

Nashville Council Member Robert Swope told The New York Post that the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) is working with the Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) to carry out “a very in-depth analysis” of both the manifesto and “certain aspects of the shooter’s life” as they investigate what led up to the horrific mass murder.

Once criminal profilers have analysed its contents, the manifesto will be shared with the public, said Mr Swope.

“The manifesto is going to be released. It’s just a matter of when,” he said.

“There are some incredibly brilliant psychological minds and psychological analysts combing through her entire life.”

Mr Swope said that Hale had “looked at” carrying out attacks on two other schools, both of which were public.

But he said that Hale appears to gave decided that “the security was too great to do what she wanted to do” and so “she chose a private Christian school, for, probably the reason is that the security is a whole lot less”.

Nashville Police Chief John Drake said on Tuesday that investigators “strongly believe” Hale was planning to carry out other attacks including at a local mall and targeting family members.

“We strongly believe there was going to be some other targets, including maybe family members, and one of the malls here in Nashville,” the police chief said.

“And that just did not happen.”

He said that some maps “pertaining to maybe some thinking about some other incidents” had been discovered during a search of the shooter’s family home, along with other weapons.

The Covenant School was believed to have been singled out for an attack because it had a lower level of security – with no school resource officer – than other locations.

Moreover, we also know that the suspect was receiving mental health treatment, and that the suspect's family had been pressuring them to sell their guns because the family "felt that she should not own weapons".

quote:

Prior to Monday’s massacre, Hale had been able to legally purchase seven firearms – despite receiving mental health treatment at the time.

In a press conference, Chief Drake said that Hale was under care “for an emotional disorder” and that her family “felt that she should not own weapons”.

The police chief said that Hale’s parents were aware the suspect had purchased one firearm, but believed it had since been sold.

In reality, the 28-year-old had legally purchased seven firearms and hid them around the family home.

Three of those firearms – two assault rifles and a handgun – were used in Monday’s shooting.

Even if Hale’s parents had been aware of the stash of weapons and contacted law enforcement, there is no red flag law in Tennessee that could have been used to take away the firearms.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable that so many people are referring to Hale as being a transman, while at the same time, using "she" to refer to him?

It's a hard topic for me to bring up, because I don't want it to sound like I'm defending a school shooter, and I know it sounds like that. But I feel like when we people do this, it supports the narrative that, say, AFAB people who identify as men aren't really men, they're just mentally deranged deviants.

If having your gender identity be respected is a fundamental human right, then being trans can't be something we have to earn through being a model citizen. And it can't be lost because the person is a criminal, even a child killer.

Is it because people just don't feel there is enough evidence that Hale was really trans? From what I've read, there are multiple sources ranging from online stuff, people who knew him, and the goodbye text where Hale referred to himself as "Aiden", and was also entered into that friend's phone as "Aiden".

I'm sorry if it feels like I'm taking this all out on you, Main Paineframe. You probably just aren't sure? But as a transperson myself, this year has ALREADY been horrifying, and now it's blowing up way worse and it just feels like this is a societal flashpoint where for the first time in years, a major person in the news who seems to identify as trans isn't having their gender, name, or pronouns respected by the press or the discourse and that reversal is very scary.

Sorry, my mistake.

When I first started writing that post, I was consciously trying to focus on using "the shooter" and gender-neutral pronouns because the authorities have been very unclear about the specifics of that (which, by itself, is another issue with the dripfeeding - they confirmed the shooter being trans right away, but it took days for a consensus to emerge on whether "Audrey" was the deadname or the real name). However, I rewrote basically the entire post a couple times while digging through sources and trying to settle on an argument to pursue, and apparently I totally forgot about the prononus while revising stuff and accidentally slipped into the framing the authorities have been using. My bad.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

This is such a great example of the DeSantis dilemma - he wants to run against Trump, but he has to do stuff like this, either because the voters love Trump so much or because he doesn't dare to go against Trump. Neither option bodes well for his chances.

Framboise posted:

So does this actually amount to anything, or is it another badge he gets to wear on his martyr sash like his impeachments? It'd be nice to see an actual, real, tangible, life-affecting consequence.

It's an indictment. That means he is being Officially charged with a crime.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

So I take it that with language like "Soros-backed" DeSantis has not typically been relying on the support of Jewish voters in FL?

The Jewish right has pretty much fully adopted and embraced the anti-Soros stuff, eagerly casting him as a sinister anti-Semitic villain who seeks to destroy Jews. Even AIPAC and Israeli government officials have parroted anti-Soros stuff. At this point, I suspect it won't put off any American Jews who already lean Republican.

https://twitter.com/AIPAC/status/1562496370241851396

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mike Pence is somehow unable to answer a question about abortion and wobbling around. I have no idea if he is nervous, surprised, or trying to seem to moderate. But, he's coming off incredibly bad and it is bizarre to see Mike Pence of all people hedge on abortion.

"Would you support a 6-week abortion ban nationwide?"

"I'm pro-life."

"If you were President, and a support a 6-week abortion ban came across your desk, then would sign it?"

"Look, I'm pro-life."

"Would you sign it?"

"Wolf, look, I'm pro-life. I'm not gonna apologize for it."

"So, you would support it?"

"If legislation... in that regard... came around, then I would surely... I would surely take a look at it. But, to be honest, I think that this will take place at the state-level."

"But, would you sign a bill?"

"I'd support federal legislation that is pro-life if I were in congress... or any other job in that town. But, when the Supreme Court overturned Roe. v. Wade, they returned the issue to the states. But, look, I will always stand for life."

Is it that surprising? I feel like "yes, but you and I both know I'll never be president if I admit it on camera, so can we please pretend my answer is something else" is a common enough response from anti-abortion politicians above the House.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You know, I used to think that Ted Cruz bending the knee for Trump in 2016 was the most pathetic thing I've seen in politics, but this weird Pence defense of Trump has to be worse

It's understandable. If he turns against Trump now, spending four whole years as Trump's VP was for nothing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's gonna get buried in the Trump stuff now, but the FBI released their investigative report about Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas mass shooter from 2017, for whom no motive was ever conclusively determined.

The whole thing's like three hundred pages and unsearchable, so I'm just gonna rely on a press report to summarize the results, though I'm going to add my own emphasis to a couple of points that seem important yet were never publicly mentioned before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/30/us/las-vegas-shooting-gunman.html

quote:

The man who fatally shot 60 people at an outdoor music festival in Las Vegas in 2017 had been angry over what he saw as casinos scaling back on perks for V.I.P. gamblers like himself, according to an account provided to the F.B.I.

The newly released F.B.I. records fall short of answering the lingering question of why the gunman, Stephen Paddock, opened fire on a country music concert crowd on the Las Vegas Strip from his perch on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. By the time the authorities arrived at his suite, Mr. Paddock, 64, had killed himself, leaving no suicide note or any other indication of a motive.

The attack on Oct. 1, 2017, killed 60 people and injured hundreds more in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Investigators have long scoured the case for explanations, but a few years ago Las Vegas police concluded their investigation by saying that he had no clear motive.

Investigators and behavioral analysts at the F.B.I. similarly concluded in 2019 that they could not determine a “single or clear motivating factor” behind the attack. Investigators said it appeared that Mr. Paddock had wanted to die by suicide, after experiencing a decline in physical and mental health.

The newly released reports of F.B.I. interviews with people who knew or interacted with Mr. Paddock, made public in recent days, shed some new light on what has long been known about his obsessive, high-roller gambling habits and his state of mind before he unleashed a barrage of gunfire from his hotel window.

Mr. Paddock, who sometimes spent up to 18 hours a day gambling in various hotels, “was very upset at the way casinos were treating him and other high rollers,” one gambler told the F.B.I.

“The stress could easily be what caused Paddock to ‘snap,’” he said.

The fellow gambler said that Mr. Paddock and gamblers like him would frequently carry around $100,000 in cash and “had a bankroll of approximately $2 to $3 million.” He described Mr. Paddock as personable and intelligent and said that like “all professional gamblers,” Mr. Paddock “frequently kept to himself.”

He explained that casinos had long treated high-rollers with free cruises, penthouse suites and tours but that those perks had been scaled back in recent years.

A woman who worked at the Tropicana Las Vegas told the F.B.I. that Mr. Paddock visited there about once every three months and was a “prolific” video poker player. The woman said that he did not talk about anything personal with her, but he appeared to like rock ’n’ roll and had attended some concerts at the Tropicana.

According to the documents, he stayed at the Tropicana beginning a couple weeks before the shootings and lost $38,000 during that visit.

The documents revealed that a different interviewee told the F.B.I. that over dinner at Applebee’s, Mr. Paddock shared with him that gambling had been his main source of income and that he had bought a handgun for protection because he was earning a lot of money.

Mr. Paddock’s planning for the attack appeared to have been methodical, law enforcement investigations have shown. He had been stockpiling weapons for about a year, all purchased legally, and researching event venues, with internet searches such as “biggest open air concert venues in USA.” He had a hotel reservation in August, two months before the attack, in a room that overlooked the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago. After settling on Las Vegas as his target, he spent days carrying an arsenal of guns into the hotel across the street from the Route 91 Harvest music festival.

Mr. Paddock had grown wealthy over the years from buying and selling apartment complexes around the country, the agents wrote, information that was also previously known. He and his family sold a complex in Texas in 2012, the F.B.I. said in one document, and Mr. Paddock used the proceeds to “buy dozens of weapons that were ultimately used in the shooting.”

The F.B.I. reported scrutinizing a series of letters involving Mr. Paddock that were said to have been found in a vacant office building in Texas. The details of the letters were not disclosed, and while F.B.I. agents worked to authenticate them, the new documents do not detail their conclusions.

One person who reported being a business acquaintance of Mr. Paddock told agents that in 2016, about a year before the shooting, Mr. Paddock was stockpiling money and was “mad at the system.” While large portions of this and other sections of the interview notes were redacted, the former acquaintance reported that :siren:Mr. Paddock had been fascinated by the Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people in 1995 and “thought ADOLF HITLER was a good man.”:siren:

The man, who spoke to agents in the days after the attacks, described apparent “threats” of some kind from Mr. Paddock — the nature of which is not detailed in the documents — but he did not take them seriously until May 2017, a few months before the Las Vegas shooting. It was unclear from the records what the man did after that or how agents handled the information.

Investigators have said that Mr. Paddock had no connections to terrorist or hate groups, and no criminal record. They found that while his wealth had diminished before the attacks, he was not in debt.

As far as I can tell, this is the first time that any hint of his political leanings have been revealed, and woof, it sure is a doozy. Guess we'll just never know why the guy who admired McVeigh and Hitler shot a bunch of people! :thunk:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you find an actual link to the document set? I've not immediately had any luck.

It's here, split into two parts:
https://vault.fbi.gov/stephen-paddock

Utter pain in the rear end to go through, though. 600+ pages combined, heavily redacted, it's not OCRed so it can't be searched easily, and stuff like webpage printouts and evidence spreadsheets are mixed in haphazardly with the rest of the report.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Jesus, these peoples still believe that all the opposition to DJT comes from elites at the top of gov't and media and that all normal Americans are actually still totally on their side but are just being silenced/cowed. AKA, the Silent MajorityTM. They just cannot wrap their heads around the idea that the majority of Americans just do not like Trump or, at the very least, don't care about him.

The leader of the NYC Young Republicans is a true believer, a TPUSA guy and Babylon Bee VP who frequently writes articles for right-wing media. As a reference for where he stands, he thinks Matt Gaetz is a "model leader" and a MAGA hero.

I don't think that is entirely off-base. The problem is that only about a quarter of mass shooters kill themselves. Another quarter are killed by police and about half are subdued in some way.

So, it seems like suicidal ideation is a part of a large chunk of mass shooters, but still a minority. Even if you include all the ones killed by cops as people who wanted to die anyway, that still only gets you to about half.

There doesn't seem to be "the one" reason for mass shootings. Statistically, they are younger, white, male, and more likely to be schizophrenic. But, except for the schizophrenic part, they all seem to do it for different reasons. Some political, some personal, some unexplainable, some due to mental illness, and some due to a desire for fame/notoriety.

The demographics are pretty uniform, but the reasons behind the shooting aren't.

Their life's over regardless. Even if they don't shoot themselves and aren't shot by cops, someone who shoots up an elementary school is going to prison forever.

Several prominent researchers of mass shootings, like Jillian Peterson and James Densley, have taken the position that large-scale* mass shootings are fundamentally acts of murder-suicide. And yeah, these researchers are generally quite skeptical of the effectiveness of punishment. The Violence Project sums it up well in their analysis of mass shooters:

*the definition of "mass shooting" is a little fuzzy, so I'm arbitrarily throwing on "large-scale" to clearly distinguish poo poo like school shootings and nightclub shootings. Many mass shooting databases use more expansive definitions that include stuff like gang violence, drive-bys, and family murders, which makes sense from a "counting the impact of gun violence" perspective but doesn't really fall into the same category as someone who spends an hour walking the halls of an elementary school looking for kids to kill.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

This got me to thinking. I was having an argument the other day whereby somebody tried to argue that drag shows are like strip clubs in that they are an event and therefore subject to zoning laws and other kinds of local legislation; but I countered that public nudity is generally illegal and a strip club is a space where it isn't illegal, so it makes sense that you'd need to have districting for it. Wearing a wig and a dress isn't illegal anywhere - you'd have to outlaw certain kinds of theater while you're at it.

How do you outlaw a 'drag show' anyway? How do these laws define 'drag shows'? Because I have a hard time imagining a world where you pass a ban on 'drag shows' where you don't simultaneously and accidentally outlaw a bunch of other stuff on top of it. For instance, if you define a drag show as a performative and sometimes comical theater whereby the participants dress up in genders not their own*, you accidentaly outlaw mascots.

EDIT: *from the perspective of the lawmakers.

The text of the Tennessee law is pretty straightforward, and very short:

quote:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 7-51-1401, is amended by adding the following language as a new subdivision:

"Adult cabaret performance" means a performance in a location other than an adult cabaret that features topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest, or similar entertainers, regardless of whether or not performed for consideration;

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 7-51-1407, is amended by adding the following language as a new subsection:
(c) (1) It is an offense for a person to engage in an adult cabaret performance:
(A) On public property; or
(B) In a location where the adult cabaret performance could be viewed by a person who is not an adult.

(2) Notwithstanding § 7-51-1406, this subsection (c) expressly:
(A) Preempts an ordinance, regulation, restriction, or license that was lawfully adopted or issued by a political subdivision prior to the effective date of this act that is in conflict with this subsection (c); and
(B) Prevents or preempts a political subdivision from enacting and enforcing in the future other ordinances, regulations, restrictions, or licenses that are in conflict with this subsection (c).
(3) A first offense for a violation of subdivision (c)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor, and a second or subsequent such offense is a Class E felony.

SECTION 3. This act takes effect July 1, 2023, the public welfare requiring it, and applies to prohibited conduct occurring on or after that date.

So it targets "male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest". In theory, it only applies to drag that appeals to a "prurient interest". But what does "prurient interest" mean in this context? It's left vague and not defined here, but elsewhere in Tennessee law it refers to "shameful or morbid interest in sex". Which is still pretty vague. I think it translates to normal English as "some real freaky pervert poo poo", except that the people setting the bar for that are cops and judges in Tennessee, so you never know where the local authorities will draw the line. Especially given that the far right is actively trying to portray all trans people as groomers and rapists. It's an intentionally subjective standard that lets local chud authorities apply an "I know it when I see it" standard.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Post-indictment poll: Trump surges to largest-ever lead over DeSantis

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-indictment-poll-surges-lead-desantis-151150006.html

Good to know that being impeached 2x and being the first president in history to be indicted is one for the plus column. I guess one could argue that it's similar to Clinton's approval bounce after he was impeached but I think it's more along the lines that him Trump being charged is proof and validation of the deep state and all that poo poo. WHy are they so loyal and why do they love this person so much? A person who is incapable of love or loyalty and who throws under the bus then shits on everyone and anyone he's ever worked with the second they're no longer useful? Prior to that they were "brilliant" and just "the best people". But it's never Trump's judgement that's at fault. It's their character.

I think the slavish devotion from the Christian right is the one that gets me the most. THe thrice divorced adulterer who bangs porn stars is god's chosen hero for america.

They're loyal to him because he doesn't give a poo poo about any rules or traditions or policies that get in the way of doing what they want, something people of basically any political stripe can relate to. He's willing to openly blast the courts if they make rulings that get in the way of his policies, and he's willing to loudly pretend that he'd defy the courts (though in practice, he has little choice but to obey). The far right aren't the only people who'd get hype for a politician who does that sort of stuff.

On top of that, even his opponents don't have the guts to go against him at times like this. Remember DeSantis declaring that he'd order Florida officials to refuse to cooperate with the indictment? Of course he'd lose ground to Trump. If his campaign tactic is to fully buy into Trump's rhetoric and position himself as a wholehearted supporter of Trump, he isn't doing a very good job of explaining why anyone should vote for him over Trump.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Far right control is already an inevitability, the system itself is designed to ensure that.

Mellow Seas posted:

The problem is that there is no revolution that is going to eliminate the fact that some percentage of people seem to be, for the lack of a better term, immutably pro-suffering.

I think these are some pretty wild assertions to throw out there without any further specifics. Not only are they rather inflammatory and extreme, but they're also so vague that it's difficult to read them as specific claims rather than vague ideological throwaways.

And personally, I think they're both copouts. The American left is far too eager to find anyone or anything else to pin the blame on for its own weakness. Whether it's claiming that the system is somehow rigged in favor of fascism, or insisting that voters are too "pro-suffering" to support leftism, or claiming that voters are simply voting against their own interests...it all seems to boil down simply declaring leftism to be functionally impossible to attain (whether in America or worldwide), and absolving the left of its responsibility to convince other people to support leftist policies.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

So how is this supposed to work? Coach fingers everyone’s puss before the big game?

The problem with getting news from "some rando who posts about politics on Twitter all day" is that occasionally they exaggerate things somewhat.

The bill doesn't actually say anything about genital inspections or anything like that. It legally defines trans women as "male" without regard for their gender identity, bans women's sports teams from having any members legally defined as male, protects trans-exclusionary sports teams from any potential "adverse action" by accrediting orgs or athletics organizations, and creates a private cause of action for students to sue schools that may have allowed a trans woman onto a sports team.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

In a way, wasn't that how Biden ended up winning last time, though? Sanders was way ahead on delegate count and everything in the early states, until Super Tuesday, when the more conservative Dems rallied around Biden and the number of delegates flooding his way ended up totally upending that race.

It's a theoretical way for DeSantis to win, but I still haven't heard any real rational reason why he's supposed to be a "better" choice than Trump would be, or why later states would rally around him if Trump already has the momentum of an early lead.

Super Tuesday is pretty early - there's only four states before that.

The article says DeSantis is betting on losing Super Tuesday, and making up for it by winning states that'll be holding their primaries weeks later, like California, New York, and Pennsylvania. It's an utterly terrible idea. DeSantis desperately needs to show he's a credible candidate who has a shot against Trump, or else all his money and support will abandon him. If he blows off all the Feb and March races figuring he can make up the points later, it'll be impossible for him to scrub off the stench of a loser.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like the feds need to start getting involved with this poo poo

https://twitter.com/KSolomonReports/status/1644457272133709825?s=20

I can't really think of any legal justification for the federal government to get involved. This poo poo is stupid and petty, but it's not a federal crime.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

nobody told the new crop that they're supposed to be pretending

Making those empty promises for so long without ever intending to actually fulfill them is exactly what sowed the seeds of this new crop in the first place.

They weren't pretending to be anti-abortion just for the fun of it, they were pretending because there was a diehard segment of their electorate who genuinely wanted to ban abortion. But pretending only works for so long. Eventually, that diehard base rose up and started running their own candidates, and by then the GOP had driven out so many other groups that the anti-abortion diehards were a substantial force in the primaries. Their overdependence on making empty promises to fringe groups came back to bite them when the fringe groups started demanding their own seat at the table.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

The issue is that both parties as they are now divvied up their their factional issues and priorities post Carter, and haven't really changed much since Clinton. The calcification of which groups and ideologies align with each party naturally led to position homogeneity of the parties. While the GOP is still an unholy alliance of Bible Trumpeters, Libertarians, Racists, Fascists, and the Chamber of Commerce, decades of alliance and proximity have lead all the groups to largely believe the same things. The end result is that instead of throwing sops and platitudes to disparate groups, they're throwing sops and platitudes to a single group.

What once was a collection of factions making up a party has instead become a party with factional subdivisions. Similar to the difference in outlook of the US pre-Civil War and in the modern era, where people went from seeing themselves as citizens of their State first and Americans second to American first and State nearing incidentally.

At the same time, the way that things fell as the parties solidified from group alliances to united fronts left Republicans with a bag of issues that are popular predominantly with those born before the end of the Vietnam War. As such their base is faced with declining membership as it is harder to find young people who agree with their issues. This further encourages the various factions to both radicalize and more closely merge.

The end result is that what was once a headlining group of assholes appeasing and hoodwinking opening acts of dickheads into continued support, has become instead a single entity of bastards. Abortion isn't just something the Jesus freaks care about, deregulation isn't just the opiate of the Libertarians, and dog whistles aren't there to keep the racists following along. Now the average member of the base believes in wacky poo poo from all the factions. Instead of letting the factional dogs hopelessly chase the cars as a distraction, now everyone is working together as the main focus to catch that loving car.

I wouldn't say that. There's still clearly different factions with different interests in the GOP. The problem is that they've all been convinced by right-wing media that the Democrats are literally pure evil, and therefore they all have no choice but to tolerate the extreme ideologies of their fellow Republicans.

The "just cut my taxes and deregulate my business, I don't care about literally anything else" faction may not be on board with the extreme anti-abortion stuff, but Fox News has informed them that the Democrats are literally communists who plan to raise taxes through the roof and ban private business, so they feel they need to support the Dems' opposition no matter what. Even if the extreme anti-abortion types aren't on board with the racism and tax cuts, Fox has informed them that the Dems plan to make baby murder mandatory, so they have no choice but to support the other party no matter what. And so on.

Quixzlizx posted:

Does DeSantis making individual people (specifically kids) cry and suffer play well outside of dementia and lead-ridden boomers and other deplorables? I feel like a grown man bullying specific children as individuals still doesn't play that well, even for people who are fine with making an abstract class of people suffer. I don't even remember Trump doing that too often.

DeSantis' supporters would say that he's not bullying the kids, he's rescuing them from woke brainwashing, and any tears and suffering are caused exclusively by the brainwashers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Satanic Panic started in the 80s, so figure the concerned parents tended to be 30-50 years old (usually parents start freaking out about these things when their kids are a bit older and they feel like they're losing control over them, so somewhere around 6-16 depending on the family.) That means they would've been mostly born between the early 30s and mid-50s, so boomers definitely got in on that action, yeah.

This isn't true at all, though. The core of the Satanic Panic focused heavily on daycares and preschools. It was driven by a rising awareness of child abuse, encouraged by a little industry of self-proclaimed abuse experts pushing into the relatively new and untested field of social work with extremely dubious theories and techniques, and played out against the backdrop of the new right-wing fundamentalist movement that had come together in the late 70s as a backlash against the progressivism of the era.

This is the problem with boiling things down to simple "well, each generation had a boogeyman" talk. It may seem true when you're looking at things with about as much analysis and accuracy as a Cracked Dot Com article, but each of these movements emerged in response to specific cultural trends and shifts, not just each generation looking for one and only one thing to hate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think the implication was that it was equivalent, just which groups could become another cultural punching bag for a moral panic. It's not like we haven't seen republicans try with that whole litterbox thing.

Among LGBTQ+ I've seen an impression there's a younger group/generation that's put off by sex positivity among LGBTQ+, stuff like not wanting "kink in pride" (keeping BDSM-ish stuff away from pride parades) or just generally being kind of puritanical. Like I think I've seen the term "tenderqueer" used to describe that sort of type of person. I don't think it's totally out there to consider that furries could be used as a cultural panic to push this sort of divide among a generation that is friendly towards LGBTQ+ but might be inclined to bite on "sex/kink bad" tropes, not entirely like how you have gay people who aren't supportive of bisexuality or transgender identity.

Is it "sex bad" or is it "I personally am not comfortable with the level of sexual talk going on in these spaces"? I would personally recommend being very suspicious of those kinds of vague anecdotal reports, because comfort and consent are very important, and I have definitely encountered people who used sex-positivity as an excuse to ignore other people's boundaries and comfort levels in a social space.

And as far as I know, "tenderqueer" is mostly used to describe people in queer communities who use social justice language to disguise their own toxic or manipulative behavior. For example, someone who openly talks about their sexual encounters or what makes them horny in great detail, without regard for the social circumstances, and then responds to any pushback by accusing the other person of not being sex-positive.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

I don't understand this idea that the GOP cares about precedent.

Not saying that we should overrule this judge or whatever, but if it was the opposite situation would they hesitate?

If "just ignore court rulings you don't like" was an effective tactic that the GOP would happily take without a second thought, then Roe wouldn't have been important in the first place, because the GOP would have just ignored it.

Even as recently as the Trump presidency, the GOP begrudgingly obeyed court rulings that went against the administration, even when they had a government trifecta.

koolkal posted:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/texas-judge-halts-fda-approval-of-abortion-pill-mifepristone

This article makes it seem like the FDA could choose to continue allowing the drug so kinda sounds like Biden is just willingly choosing to follow the Trump judge's order instead of the other judge.

Did you mean to paste a different link? This article doesn't say anywhere that the FDA could simply choose to ignore the ruling.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

I mean... sure you won't make the nutters open their eyes. But you're not publicizing it for those who will never change their mind no matter the evidence, and for those who aren't nuts, now they have actual evidence to use as a counter argument to those conspiracy theories. Really seems like the superior way to handle manifestos. Scrambling to hide anything a shooter has said or done will just result in a Streisand effect imo.

This seems a bit inconsistent here. You say that the people who believe the conspiracy theories are "nutters" who "will never change their mind no matter the evidence", but then you suggest that the evidence is needed as a counterargument to those conspiracy theories. But if the only people who believe the conspiracy theories are unconvinceable, then there's not really any point in lining up counterarguments.

And the Streisand Effect is what happens when someone tries to hide information that's already publicly available.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

Its only inconsistent if you think that every person who has a mild distrust for what the govt tells them is a conspiracy theorist who is incapable of changing their mind.

There is a vast spectrum that goes from 'Everything the government tells you is a lie' to literal proven conspiracy theories like the CIA drugged people in attempts to discover mind control. (MKUltra)

Then on top of that, there are people who are not conspiracy theorists, everyday people who don't spend their hours fact-checking every eye-brow raising thing breathlessly reported on Right Wing Radio. Public releasing of information will help reduce the ability of those to spread a false narrative.

The Streisand Effect is a an example of psychological reactance, where once people are aware that some information is being kept from them, they are significantly more motivated to get and spread it, so I think it perfectly fits this situation.

You're comparing "the cops said the killer mostly wrote about idolizing previous school shooters" to MKUltra coverups. That seems absolutely unreasonable to me.

The thing is that "distrust" is not a blank check to just reject everything. You still have to ask questions like "is the government's position implausible" or "what motive would they have to lie about it" or "is there something important that could be hidden by lying about it". But none of those really have satisfactory answers - after all, it doesn't really matter what the shooter wrote down in the first place. As was pointed out last time this conversation happened, there is no good or valid reason for someone to shoot up an elementary school. And regardless of this particular shooter's ideology, it's just one of numerous mass shootings committed for all sorts of different reasons over the past few years; hyperfocusing on the circumstances of any individual event just draws attention away from the systemic issues.

Quoting the Wikipedia article on "Streisand Effect" and taking one line out of context doesn't change the fact that the Streisand Effect is mostly relevant to information that was already out there. There's tons of cases where information is hidden just fine, completely successfully. Streisand herself, and most other Streisand Effect victims, sought to remove information that was already publicly available.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

silence_kit posted:

If they replaced growing almonds with other kinds of agricultural activity, I don’t think it would meaningfully use more water on a water used/kcal of crop basis.

I get incredible whiplash when I read left wing opinions on food/agriculture. There really isn’t a consistent ideology or figure of merit. It constantly oscillates from one end to the other. Food is too cheap, until we complain about it being too expensive. We want everyone to source produce locally, until we don’t. We need to eliminate food waste, but we only want people to eat highly perishable foods and it is a human right that they have 24/7/365 access to them, etc. etc.

Per kcal is a weird measure to use, since there's more to a food than just its calorie value.

According to Popular Science (yeah, I know, but most more reputable water use resources are measuring water per kg rather than water per kcal), almonds use 59 liters per 100 calories. It doesn't look as bad by this metric, because despite being notoriously water-hungry, almonds are fairly calorie-dense, so that ends up being only slightly more than wheat flour (55 liters per 100 calories).

That doesn't mean there aren't other crops we could use that require a lot less water, though! Corn requires 33 liters per 100 calories (a bit more than half of what almonds need), and broccoli needs just 10 liters per 100 calories (just over 1/6th of almonds' water usage per kcal).

But kcals don't tell the full story. Here's an infographic from Business Insider, based on this study of crop water footprints:

Pay particular attention to the units here. The "almond" entry on this chart isn't one almond tree or one pound of almonds, it's one single almond. Each individual almond requires an entire gallon of water, and five almonds require more water than an entire head of broccoli, even though the latter is more filling.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

This is such a bizarre tack to take for the "100% pro-life" people. Especially since people like DeSantis and others are okaying 6-week limits. Mike Pence of all people being not sure if he would support a 15-week limit is a wild choice in particular. Is there a group out there who were huge Mike Pence fans until they heard he wanted to limit abortion? I can maybe, maybe, see someone like Scott (who 99% of people aren't familiar with) trying to pull something like this and thinking it is a good idea, but still such a weird strategic decision. All of them seem to be blindsided when asked a follow-up question about abortion too.

There's some portion of "pro-life" people for whom "pro-life" means "keep the bad people from doing abortions at bad times for bad reasons", not "ban all abortions".

It's worth referring to the classic article, The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion, which collects anecdotes from abortion doctors who saw pro-life people show up at the clinic for an abortion.

There's also the fact that actually banning abortion outright is generally unpopular. Tim Scott doesn't want to speak against a national abortion bans because doing so would doom him in a primary, but he doesn't want to speak for one either because it'll be a very painful weight to carry into a general election. So he insists that he's "100% pro-life" in an attempt to convince the anti-abortion lobby that he aligns with them, but refuses to comment on any specific policies because he's only paying lip service to them and doesn't want to get nailed down on anything that might hurt him in the general.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

silence_kit posted:

It's not weird at all. It's a very good figure of merit, if the (ostensible) concern is trying to feed people as efficiently as possible, right? People when they control their diets usually set calorie goals, not 'total mass of food consumed' goals.

If almonds use the same amount of water per kcal as wheat flour, an incredibly cheap and efficient to produce staple food, then I think that suggests that almonds don't meaningfully use a lot of water compared to other kinds of agricultural activity. This 'California almond panic' is bogus.

Low-calorie high-mass foods are important to many diets, because eating lots of calories is fairly easy in modern society - the hard part is stopping at a given calorie level. When people are controlling their diets, the calorie goal is generally more of a calorie limit. High-calorie low-mass foods don't physically fill your stomach, and are therefore easier to overeat. Now, nutrition and weight gain are complicated and there's much that we don't necessarily know for sure, but there's definitely more to food production than just maximizing calories.

And like I said, almonds and wheat flour use twice as much water per kcal as corn, and six times as much water per kcal as broccoli. By this one measure alone, they're not ultra efficient.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The other ruling said the FDA can't pull the drug from the market.

The appeals court threw out the decision from the Judge in the 5th circuit saying the FDA had to pull it from the market immediately. But, said that the new rules the Biden administration put into place (you can be mailed the drug without visiting a doctor or pharmacy in-person and expanding the approval for usage timeframe from 7 weeks to 10 weeks) have to be paused while they case goes through court.

That's not quite right. The other ruling barred the FDA from "altering the status quo and rights as it relates to the availability of Mifepristone". The 5th Circuit's changes may not be a full ban, but they still alter the status quo and therefore conflict with that order.

As for how the two orders interact, I think that's up to SCOTUS. The 5th Circuit's ruling doesn't go into effect until Saturday, and the case has already been emergency appealed to SCOTUS, which will probably put a longer stay on one of those orders.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ron needs to respond with a Don impersonator cramming his face with McDonalds.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It should be Trump dipping his well done steak in ketchup.

I hope these are just copy-pastes from #Resistance Twitter or something, because thinking that people are going to be repulsed by photos of a guy eating Big Macs or overcooked steak feels very ivory tower liberal. A lot of people eat Big Macs and overcooked steak, it's normal and accepted in a way that eating pudding with your hands definitely fuckin ain't.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tim Scott is trying to rebound from his strange response to the question of what he would do about abortion.

He is still being very careful to not mention any specific policy, but is reassuring the pro-life community that he would "literally sign" the strongest pro-life bill that would be able to make it to his desk if he was President.

However, he still gets tripped up by a basic follow-up question about if he has any personal preferences on how long the window should be for abortion to be legal and whether he would support a federal ban.

Still baffling that he doesn't have a better response. Especially since it seems like he gave this interview specifically to clean up his previous bad response.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1646938526271807491

It's not really a bad answer until someone else who's running gives a better one. It's pretty clear he doesn't have a very specific position on abortion policy and is just trying to pander to the anti abortion lobby without pissing anyone else off, but he's hardly alone in that. And as long as he signs their bills, they don't really have any reason to be mad at that. It's not like Trump has staked out a position on exactly how an abortion ban should be written either.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

He introduced and sponsored a bill two years ago that would ban abortion entirely nationwide - except for cases of rape and incest. It's not even ancient history.

Are you talking about the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act of 2021, which outright banned abortions after 20 weeks nationally? It was introduced by Lindsey Graham seven days after the Dems took control of the Senate in 2021, and co-sponsored by 45 of the 50 GOP senators at the time. Also, Roe was still in effect at the time.

The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Acts of 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019 all shared those same properties of "co-sponsored by almost all the GOP senators", "don't have enough votes to actually pass" (only one of them even made it to the Senate floor, where it was filibustered), and "Roe hasn't been overturned yet".

Class3KillStorm posted:

Trump doesn't have an explicit position, true, but hasn't he been out there blasting Republicans for being too draconian* in the laws that they're creating and signing at the state level post-Dobbs? Scott, while trying to avoid a specific number, is claiming he'll sign the most Conservative bill that lands on his desk, while Trump is basically saying that the law should be more lenient and have more allowances for rape and incest.

Now, Trump is only following the trends of popular polling, but it has the effect of staking his position far to the left of the other Republican candidates**, and as the leading candidate in the polls I don't see how it's to the benefit of a Scott or a DeSantis or a Haley to try and tack further right on this issue.

* That's too big of a word for Trump himself to use directly, but you know what I mean.
** We're also all just going to ignore that Trump a) created the Supreme Court that directly lead to this scenario, despite what people were warning about in 2016, and b) that he had previously been on debate stages claiming that there should be "some consequences" for women that did get abortions.

Not really, no. On the campaign trail in 2016, he was super anti-abortion, but didn't commit to specific policies beyond overturning Roe and suggesting that women who get abortions should be punished (which he quickly walked back).

After the GOP did poorly in 2022, he did complain on Truth Social that the "abortion issue" was "poorly handled" by the GOP. But in the very same post, he also blamed anti-abortion activists for not showing up to the polls, and implied that they'd selfishly abandoned the GOP after getting what they wanted. And as he's spun up his 2024 campaign, he's pointedly refused to take a clear position on abortion policy. When the AP asked him last month whether he supported a federal abortion ban, he dodged the question and tried to talk about "radical-left lunatics" instead.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

How in the loving gently caress do you justify firing a gun for shoplifting

WHY ARE WALGREENS EMPLOYEES ARMED WTF?

He followed them out to their car and went right up to them, so they maced him, and he panicked and pulled his gun and immediately started shooting

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Missouri's a castle doctrine state, so there's room for any proceeding to go very badly.

Even without castle doctrine, there's plenty of room for things to go badly. This reminds me a lot of the killing of Yoshihiro Hattori in the 90s, where a jury didn't convict despite a very similar set of facts:

quote:

Hattori and Haymaker walked to the house's front door and rang the doorbell. Nobody came to the front door, but Bonnie Peairs opened the side door leading to the carport and saw Haymaker standing a few yards away. Haymaker was wearing a neck brace due to a recent injury and bandages as part of a Halloween costume. He attempted to address Bonnie Peairs, but she later testified that she panicked when Hattori appeared from around the corner and moved briskly towards her. She slammed the door and told her husband Rodney to get his gun.[2]

Outside, Haymaker inferred that he and Hattori had come to the wrong house. They were preparing to return to their car when Rodney Peairs opened the carport door, armed with a .44 Magnum revolver. Hattori stepped back towards Peairs, saying, "We're here for the party." Peairs pointed the gun at him and yelled, "Freeze!" Haymaker had caught sight of the firearm and shouted a warning after Hattori,[8] but Hattori had limited English and was not wearing his contact lenses that evening; it is possible that he did not understand Peairs' command to "freeze"[9] and did not see the weapon,[2] or might even have thought that this was part of a Halloween prank.[10] Hattori was also holding a camera which Peairs mistook for a weapon.[9] When Hattori continued moving towards Peairs, Peairs fired his gun at him from a distance of about 5 feet (1.5 m) away, hitting him in the chest, and then retreated back inside the house. Haymaker ran to the home next door for help, returning with a neighbor to find Hattori badly wounded and lying on his back. The Peairses did not come out of their house until the police arrived about forty minutes after the shooting. Bonnie Peairs shouted to a neighbor to "go away" when the neighbor called for help.[2]

quote:

Peairs's defense was his claim that Hattori had an "extremely unusual manner of moving" that any reasonable person would find "scary". It emphasized that Peairs was an "average Joe", a man just like the jury members' neighbors, a man who "liked sugar in his grits".[11]

At trial, Peairs testified about the moment just before the shooting: "It was a person, coming from behind the car, moving real fast. At that point, I pointed the gun and hollered, 'Freeze!' The person kept coming toward me, moving very erratically. At that time, I hollered for him to stop. He didn't; he kept moving forward. I remember him laughing. I was scared to death. This person was not gonna stop, he was gonna do harm to me." Peairs testified that he shot Hattori once in the chest when the youth was about 5 feet (1.5 m) away. "I felt I had no choice," he said. "I'm very sorry that any of this ever happened."[2] A police detective testified that Peairs had said to him, "Boy, I messed up; I made a mistake."[12]

District Attorney Doug Moreau concentrated on establishing that it had not been reasonable for Peairs, a 6-foot-2-inch (1.88 m) tall, armed man, to be so fearful of a polite, friendly, unarmed, 130-pound (59 kg) boy who rang the doorbell, even if he walked toward him unexpectedly in the carport, and that Peairs was not justified in using deadly force.[citation needed]

The defense further argued that Rodney Peairs was, in large part, reacting reasonably to his wife's panic. Bonnie Peairs testified for an hour about the incident, during which she also cried several times. "He [Hattori] was coming real fast towards me," she testified. "I had never had somebody come at me like that before. I was terrified." Rodney Peairs did not hesitate or question her but instead went to retrieve a handgun with a laser sight stored in a suitcase in the bedroom.[2] "There was no thinking involved. I wish I could have thought. If I could have just thought," Bonnie Peairs said.[10] While giving a description of Hattori at the trial, Bonnie Peairs said, "I guess he appeared Oriental. He could have been Mexican or whatever. He was taller than me and his skin was darker colored."[13][14][15]

The trial lasted seven days. The jury returned a not guilty verdict after deliberating for approximately three hours.[a] Courtroom spectators applauded when the verdict was announced.[9]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly it's kind of silly that representatives have to be physically present in the capitol to vote. Seems like maybe our government should consider taking this newfangled invention of instantaneous global communication into account.

Filibusters would probably be even worse than they already are if senators could do them from the comfort of their own homes. Forcing legislators to go through the inconvenience of having to actually travel to the Capitol to vote in person makes it more inconvenient to go loving around and playing games with votes.