Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The issue is a lot of cultural touchstones have been exploited and commercialized or worse, the big one being patriotism after 9/11. It's created a nation of skeptic individualists who are always looking for the catch. That's why they believe in hard work: that is the catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I elected President Trains but I will vote to re-elect President Sinn Fein.

But seriously, on none of these points is Biden objectively wrong. The UK is irresponsibly governed and they should not be pandered to. Ireland is part of the EU, which is a far more important partner for the US, and Northern Ireland is a colonial remnant.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's the only avenue that DeSantis's consultants have that presents a path to getting a paycheck for another year.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Does DeSantis making individual people (specifically kids) cry and suffer play well outside of dementia and lead-ridden boomers and other deplorables? I feel like a grown man bullying specific children as individuals still doesn't play that well, even for people who are fine with making an abstract class of people suffer. I don't even remember Trump doing that too often.

Trump had no issues bullying children, he bullied everyone equally. DeSantis can only literally bully children so that's what he goes after.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Zwabu posted:

I'm not sure I undrstand what you are saying here. Are you saying that Trump would have lost even worse than he did in the election if not for covid?

Trump would have lost even worse in the election if not for covid.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

You would think they would get tired of losing eventually

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1645258292879302668

If you accept as a given that they didn't lose in 2020, the issue isn't electability.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1646581401167298564

Direct financial transactions with Crow that Thomas didn't report, not just free vacations. Real estate purchases well above market value and uncompensated improvements to his mother's home.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You can mock him for his bad spray tan or hair transplant. Those are choices.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Did we ever get the inside scoop on the McDonalds that suddenly got an order for like 200 Big Macs don't ask what they're for?

Multiple McDonalds, or any fast food chain, receive an order when it visibly comes from the White House to reduce the possibility that any single point of contact can tamper with the food. So that order of 200 burders was actually an order of 1,000 burders spread throughout the DMV.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I think there's the general understanding that Feinstein is declining, she's no longer judiciary chair and is expected to retire at the end of the term. The issue is no one wants to set a precedent of forcing her out given many of them are also pushing retirement age. If they have their own health issues they'd like to be able to return to the Senate without being forced to resign.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The issue is the fantasy that Trump represents isn't being rich. It's the fantasy of being able to piss people off and be an rear end in a top hat while being immune to any consequences or responsibility. His base will never hold him accountable because that's the point: he isn't.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

zoux posted:

When you cost the boss $787m....

Still, this is stunning, he's far and away the biggest draw on Fox and probably the biggest white nationalist voice in America. There is no bigger platform for him than Fox News, this is going to have a massive positive effect on political discourse in the US.

We said the same thing after Beck or Hannity. There will be a new Muppet in the same timeslot spouting the same rhetoric.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Kamala is going to be dropped at the convention. She had her audition for prime time and bungled it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm worried Williamson and Kennedy will split the antivaxxer vote.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
At this point they're committed. They'll last longer fighting Donald Trump than they will against Disney.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like it or not if there's a violent revolution in the US it will be the far right taking the reins.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kalit posted:

Has this happened in the history of the US? Every example I can think of ends up with law changes in favor of the left and not the right (slavery, civil rights, etc). Unless you don't count those as revolutions, I suppose.

It's pretty decisive that those were not revolutions: those were top down reforms imposed by the federal government after abolitionists/Civil rights activists successfully lobbied and took power through democratic means.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
They were both horrific, totalitarian regimes that committed brutal crimes against their own population and against their neighbors so let's not spend time rehashing which was marginally worse or treated better by history.

My understanding from my first responder days is that less than lethal shots were explicitly warned against because if you shot to incapacitate, and they ended up dying, that opened you up to legal risks. Which of course creates a perverse incentive.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

BrainDance posted:

Ive been seeing news like this railroad-workers-union-win-sick-leave now, and I feel like the stories gotta be missing something. Because it feels really weird that "giant freight industry that's been exploiting everyone who works for them changed their mind after a big standoff where congress protected them from a strike because over the past few months everyones been asking nicely and they don't wanna look mean."

So, what happened between the blocked strike and now? Are there details missing here? None of these articles go into a lot of detail over what the unions have been doing since the original strike was blocked.

The catch is the workers not allowed to call in sick are those who actually operate the trains. Those crews are slashed to the bone so if someone calls in that day the train can't run, which means the schedule is completely hosed Southwest Airlines style.

The negotiations in the fall were between all the unions and the companies, for everyone getting sick leave. Here we are seeing only those workers where it is convenient for the companies to take paid sick leave receive it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

haveblue posted:

Yeah but it’s extra exciting because even the treasury can’t say when the last minute is

This is the risk. We approach some vague deadline, Kevin McCarthy keeps telling himself he can hold out for another day, he goes to sleep one night and something slips and we default. Or he caves at the last minute but he can't wrangle the caucus together in time or gets stuck in traffic and we default. Boehner and Ryan were both willing to fall on their swords but KMac thinks he can get this camel through the eye of a needle: don't crash the economy, keep his job, win the standoff.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I think economists work out their calculations with the assumption that poor people spend 100% of the money they make.

So it's actually a subject of debate because a lot of macroeconomic models assume people don't spend all the money they make but instead save and borrow to even out spending over their lifetime! And then this assumption gets thrown on its head by non-Ricardian households that in fact don't save but spend everything as it comes in and make up nearly half of the US. It wasn't as big an issue in the past but the proportion of non-saving households has grown over the past few decades.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
God told Mike Pence to run for President because He thinks it'll be funny and He's right.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The GOP has resisted reorganizing the judiciary committe to remove Feinstein as a temporary measure. I'm not familiar with Senate procedure for a completely new senator, in terms of committees, but sitting a senator is out of their control.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I think the event was a failure from inception but I can't blame her for it because she was essentially the lone voice of reason in the room, including her own management. Maybe it was staged but honestly I won't watch her show either way because cable is dying.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You'll see debates again once we have an open primary again. Neither Trump nor Biden benefit from debating their challengers, and neither really wants to debate the other unless the deck is stacked in their favor.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Much like Musk's rockets, DeSantis will likely explode soon after liftoff.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, we found a new low below Four Seasons Landscaping.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Nixon tried to give the secret service snazzy uniforms so there's that.

Really the joke of Space Force is the Netflix comedy poked fun at "Spaceman" as the serviceman title, and then the real US Space Force one upped them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The thing is, that only works until you need their vote again, at which point they won't make any deal with you again.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

Why did this get a probe? Isn't this just lamenting an ongoing issue?

Contrast their answer with Main Paineframe and haveblue, who not only identified it as a weird quirk of the Congressional Review Act but then provided some detail into the unintended consequences of said act (that it's really only effective when you're rolling back regulation from the last administration) that actually provide some citations as to why the system is broken.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
As Biden has gotten older he's also gotten more open to progressive ideas.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
No one likes a reboot. We've seen the Trump story, his rise and fall. "And rise again, but older and more openly racist" isn't a ratings winner.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

pence is piling into the gop primary clowncar

anyone with a better grasp of us history trivia know if a former vice president has attempted to primary their president? maybe back in the wild adams and jefferson days when the administration ended up always being mixed between parties

A few former Presidents attempted to go back to their old offices, but the only successful one was Cleveland. His vice president had died a year into his term and was never replaced.

Other fun details when looking at history: beyond Teddy vs Taft, Grant was almost nominated for a third (nonconsecutive) term in 1880. Hoover tried to get the Republican nomination again in 1936 and 1940. Martin Van Buren and Millard Fillmore both ran on third party tickets. Gerald Ford was considered for Reagan's VP in 1980. And John Tyler managed to have the worst post-presidential career by getting elected to the Confederate Congress, contrasting Trump's possible treason with Actual Treason.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
His recent rallies and public appearances don't have the same energy anymore. Trump lost his antichrist mojo.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The issue is that DeSantis is a nerd that everyone wants to bully. A wide open non-Trump field will see him get attacked from all sides and torn apart by a pack of starving hyenas. Perhaps literally.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
DeSantis's success in Florida says more about the people of Florida and Florida's local democratic party than about his abilities as a candidate.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

It's pretty weird to think that the last time a U.S. president had served in active duty was in WW2, whereas it used to be a pretty standard requirement for a presidential CV.

And every president since then came of age during an active military draft, to boot.

It's not so weird when you consider that basically every President since WW2 came from a wealthy enough family they could get educational deferment. WW2 was the last time that didn't work since a huge chunk of the adult male population was involved and funneled through the army.

Obama was the exception but also he came of age after the draft ended.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Appeals for a case as high profile as his can definitely eat up the eighteen months before the election. If he sees a prison it's after he loses.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The risk is that a not guilty verdict could backfire, so it's probably better to go for a lesser (but still very serious charge) in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The only actual fight I saw in high school was two dudes beefing over Xbox live invite poo poo. The actual bullying was just subtle harassment and needling.